trying to make a witch ball

Startella

Well here I am painting tree bulb decorations to give as gifts like most years. I decided to look online for more ideas, and I seen a site with witch balls too, and thought wow, I can make one.. well at least I can try. I gathered that witch balls are usually many different colors and they are rather transparent, so thinking along this line I thought that my stain glass paint would work rather well. Let ya all know how it or they turn out.

Huh, do we have the same brain? I was considering making something similar myself! Saw something about them last year and just now got around to consider making one.

Good luck to you! Can't wait to see the result!

I got a question about the insides of the witch balls... from what I have read so far the witch balls are to have webbed strands inside the orb, which helps to trap the evil or negative energies inside.

My idea for the webbed strands were those acrylic/plastic drink stirs inside my orbs. Some of you may remember those stirs that perhaps your parents used to stir their drinks with, they came in different usually clear colors. Anyhow, I am sure I can fine some at a party store, cut down to size and at least glue down one end and be able to put in at least three per orb. So far I got two almost done, at least the painting is done, one well maybe I'll add a little crackle to it.. LOL pics coming soon.

Guest GreenJack

They're beautiful. Regarding the web inside, have you come across fantasy fibre? Let me find a link to some, hold on...although this is UK ebay -

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/812-FANTASY-FIBRE-10-Grammes-Fantasy-Royal-Blue_W0QQitemZ370120772165QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Crafts_Embellishments_SM?hash=item370120772165&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1301%7C66%3A2%7C65%3A12%7C39%3A1%7C240%3A1318

It's very fine sparkly threads that come in all sorts of colours - it might look quite effective and would be easy to insert.

Those are beautiful! I may take out my clear glass witchballs (I bought some last year with the intent of painting them) and get to painting now. You've inspired me. :D (Mine will not look as good as yours, though...)

Thanks all, It was fun, I like how they turned out so I'm going do a couple more.

They're beautiful. Regarding the web inside, have you come across fantasy fibre?

It's very fine sparkly threads that come in all sorts of colours - it might look quite effective and would be easy to insert.

I will take a look at that fiber at our hobby shops around here and see if it will work.. thanks for the idea.

Those are beautiful! I may take out my clear glass witchballs (I bought some last year with the intent of painting them) and get to painting now. You've inspired me. :D (Mine will not look as good as yours, though...)

Thanks KW, I am so happy that I can inspire ya, and yours will look better than mine cause you'll be using new paint.

Now on the paint. My paints were a couple of years old and did not flow very well, so it was very slow going on that part, and because of the thickness of the paints being older I really didn't get the looks that I wanted. I used two kinds of paints, one was stain glass paint and the other is transparent glass paint. I also used a crystal clear that gives paint that look of being stained you know that bumpy look on the second one. So now that I have inspired ya'll :thumbsup: you know what paints I used and with fresh paint you'll do better than I did.

Archived