Healing Threads

Mountain Witch

Healing Threads: Traditional Medicines of the Highlands and Islands by Mary Beith. ISBN 0-7486-6199-9

I just got done reading this book ... noticed it's on AC's recommended reading list, too. For anyone interested in traditional medicine (including charms) of eld, it's a great read and applicable even today. (US members, pay attention to the Latin binomial of the plant names - some differ on this side of the pond.)

Now, a challenge for someone (maybe UK side?): The source lists something I would dearly love to read but have no idea where it may be found. To quote: "William MacKenzie's paper 'Gaelic Incantations' is in the Transactions of the Gaelic Society of Inverness, vol. 18, 189-2."

If anyone knows how I could get my hands on a copy of this paper, I'd be grateful because the Society's website mentions the Transactions but unless you're a member, there's no further information on them ... and I don't have access to any subscribing UK libraries.

Now, a challenge for someone (maybe UK side?): The source lists something I would dearly love to read but have no idea where it may be found. To quote: "William MacKenzie's paper 'Gaelic Incantations' is in the Transactions of the Gaelic Society of Inverness, vol. 18, 189-2."

If anyone knows how I could get my hands on a copy of this paper, I'd be grateful because the Society's website mentions the Transactions but unless you're a member, there's no further information on them ... and I don't have access to any subscribing UK libraries.

Why not contact them and see if they can provide you with a copy? It's what I would do.

Here is a list of places that have a copy. Perhaps if you contact them, rather than the Society, and explain where you live and your purpose in obtaining the copy, they may oblige (possibly charging a small fee).

AC, as they say here in the southern US ... "bless your pea-pickin' heart"!!!!! I'm so glad there's someone 'way better than me at Internet research.:hearts: Now I just have to find time to read it!!!

Archived