Cornwall hauntings mystery, can you help ?

Deb13b

Earlier this year my friend rented a cottage in cornwall for 2 weeks with her hubby & 2 children. She is very sensitive to spirits / hauntings etc and for the full 2 weeks was aware of a incredibly unhappy, oppressive presence in the building. Her husband regularly saw "something" standing in one of the rooms, both children picked up on it & they all had terrible dreams / nightmares every night. Not a day went by without (mainly terrifying) incident. They didn't feel as if they were deliberately being frightened, more that they were being shown these things for a reason. My friend is still shook up about this, she feels as if there is something she was supposed to do to "help", if you know what I mean ?

She has been googling to try to find out the local history of the place to see what happened in the house as she is certain that something terrible happened there a very long time ago, but has found nothing. The cottage was a converted old barn on a farm, if I remember right.

So, can anyone here help ? Do you know of anyway to dig around in the local records, websites that could possibly throw some light on the matter, etc ? I don't suppose any of you live in or near that area ?

The place was Trehingsta, near Launceston.

I hope you guys don't mind me asking for help with this, it's got me fascinated !

Well if she's looking for history the best place to start is local newspaper archives {they will be online or in the cornwall records office} or asking the people that she rented the cottage off/ locals. The next step would be to look at court records for the local magistrates court, some will still be sealed but 100 years and later should be public access. It would help to know what date the cottage was built and if there have been buildings on the site prior to that , you can find that out by looking at tithe maps, census maps etc again at the records office or online.

The problem is if she's not living there full time theres possibly very little she can do simply because it could potentially be a very time consuming excersise, it may not necessarily be a haunting.

Anyway hope this helps and best of luck either way.

Deb,

She can contact the Federation of Old Cornwall Societies at www.oldcornwall.org. One of their (now deceased) members did an extensive investigation into "Witchery, Ghosts, Charms and Folklore" of Cornwall - they published his book this year. If there is history at that house, they may have something in their archives.

Archived