Craft magazines, non-fluffy ?!

Deb13b

I've tried a few different "witchy" magazines over the last few years. A lot of them are very fluffy. What magazines have you come across so far, & what are your opinions on them ?

So far, I have tried

Pentacle - ok, but a bit repetitive

New Witch - quite a few interesting bits

Witches Digest - ok, not a lot of content, bit light

Kindred Spirit - very "love & light!"

Can't remember the names of the others, they obviously didn't make much of an impression on me !

I've only read the Pagan Dawn but it is more geared toward paganism than witchcraft but very good. There is also a Children of Artemis glossy mag witch is just awful.

Ah yes, I forgot about those two ! I agree with you on both counts.

• 2 months later...
Hidden

I second The Cauldron and The Crooked Path Journal, and also recommend some of my own favourites:

The Pomegranate - the only international academic peer-reviewed journal on Paganism. It covers both ancient and modern practices, religions and different paths along with art, literature and pop culture. Founded by a friend and local elder - also a professor and a scholar.

Hex Magazine - focused on Heathenry and Germanic Folk-lore, but with Celtic and American lore as well. Beautiful magazine with high calibre content and amazing and prominent featured artists. Even the advertisers are amazing.

White Dragon Magazine - Based out of the UK, with a focus on witchcraft, folklore and paganism. This mag leans more towards traditional witchcraft and some prominent authors have written articles for them.

• 11 months later...

As already mentioned The Cauldron is top-notch! My other favorite is White Dragon and At The Edge (which is no more, however you can read some articles online).

The Crooked Path is ok, not my favorite as I find a lot of it repetitive of Peter Paddon's Podcast.

WHITE DRAGON: http://whitedragon.org.uk/

AT THE EDGE: http://www.indigogroup.co.uk/edge/archive.htm

Edited by Grimr

How about actual paper mags available in Canada? Anyone know of any that won't cost a fortune and are good reads?

Tall order! However, I found at least one called 'Wynter Greene'- bilingual, published in Montreal...*shrug* never read it though. You might also want to check U or T's library for old issues for Hecate's Loom, which was very good, although it's been gone for years now. If you can find those, you will be very happy. I sometimes see old issues resurface. I also found a pagan family magazine called Blessed Bee...sheesh.

are there any good magazines or the U.S.

I've looked and looked. Have yet to find a decent one except Peter Paddon's and yes, they're sort of a repetition of his podcasts.

There's a new one out, "Witches & Pagans", which is a merging of "newWitch" and "PanGaia". I've only seen the first and it seems that it's trying to play to a too wide audience. At US$6 (comes out quarterly), I'll buy at least one more off the rack before I decide to subscribe.

• 2 weeks later...
Tall order! However, I found at least one called 'Wynter Greene'- bilingual, published in Montreal...*shrug* never read it though. You might also want to check U or T's library for old issues for Hecate's Loom, which was very good, although it's been gone for years now. If you can find those, you will be very happy. I sometimes see old issues resurface. I also found a pagan family magazine called Blessed Bee...sheesh.

Wynter Greene might be worth a look, of course I can't buy it anywhere in TO, but for $10 a year I could subscribe.

I think I'll pass on "Blessed Bee"! :yuck:

Thanks Patrima!

I've come across a couple of others advertised on various old craft book sites.

Abraxas

Dragons Blood magazine.

Does anyone know of them and if they are any good or not. They are quite pricey so I don't want to waste my cash.

Never heard of Dragons Blood, but Abraxas Journal by Fulgur Press, which is a new magazine, has gotten quite a positive response from it's debut issue, however it's a bit pricey at $45 per issue. It definitely holds a higher standard on presentation than other publications of it's kind hence the high price.

Never heard of Dragons Blood, but Abraxas Journal by Fulgur Press, which is a new magazine, has gotten quite a positive response from it's debut issue, however it's a bit pricey at $45 per issue. It definitely holds a higher standard on presentation than other publications of it's kind hence the high price.

I do love Abraxas! The quality itself is lovely and quite top-notch! It's first run was quite thick, bound with lots of lovely articles from authors such as Daniel Schulke, Stuart Inmann and many others. I'd say for future runs take a peek before you buy it (if available) but definitely pick up it's current (and First) issue.

Yes, It really is lovely! Christina Oakley-Harrington (of Treadwells) and Robert Ansell (of Fulgur) really have produced something quite magnificent. The unveiling at the Seattle Esoteric Book Conference was fantastic and I look forward to future publications.