- - - - -

Hand of Glory

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Landieth_*

Guest_Landieth_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 October 2008 - 11:37 AM

I ran a search on this but couldn't find it.

The Hand of Glory is the dried and pickeled hand of a criminal used as a candle holder. A candle is made from various parts of the criminal, then placed in the hand. When lit and shown to someone, it is said to paralize them. The Hand of Glory appeared in several movies such as the Wicker Man, and there are some interesting ones that are preserved in museums.

wiki - http://en.wikipedia....i/Hand_of_Glory
house shadow drake - http://www.shadowdrake.com/hand.html
Whitby Museum - http://images.google...um=1&hl=en&sa=N

#2 JackDaw

JackDaw

Pellar

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 24 October 2008 - 01:19 PM

For quite a few years now I have been interested in what for want of a better phrase `the magickal preparation and use of relics', i.e. the magickal use of preserved/prepared, in part or whole, animals (including human) , The Waters of the Moon, The Cronnekdhu, Hand of Glory, the use of Skulls and Bones etc. By and large I have often found the historical records and even contemporary reports of the preparation rites and use of these implements to be rather incomplete. But here I think I have found a real gem, containing as it does both the preparation rites and the rite of Claiming.

Though the relic in this case may be different in nature, it may, I suspect be of particular interest to students of the `One'. It's a summery of a rite found in a manuscript book compiled By George Calvert of Kerby Moorside, North Yorkshire, in 1823, now stored at the Whitby museum in Yorkshire, enjoy.
"Cut the hand from a criminal hanging in chains on a gibbet, by night. Keep it for thirteen days in complete darkness in a strong salt pickle mingled with the urine of man, woman, dog, stallion and a mare; turn it over every night. Take it out, and dry it in sunlight for three days. Then bend the fingers round a stick, so that a candle thrust between them will be tightly gripped, and hang the hand on a wire a good way up inside your chimney, where it must stay for a (Luna) month.
During this time burn no coal on your fire, only wood. On each of the first thirteen nights of the month, throw a bundle of moist herbs and mown grass onto the fire, to give off `a goodly steam and fume'. The herbs should include Sage, Rue, Green larch, Ash, Oak, Ragwort, Nightshade, Colts foot, and field Yarrow. By the end of the month the hand should be hard and brown, ready to be `claimed'. Great care is needed in `claiming', otherwise it all fails.
Drive a nail into an ancient Oak, and hang hand there three times overnight; for another three nights lay it at midnight at the centre of a crossroads and leave it there for one hour. If neither man nor beast has moved it from it's place on the Oak and on the crossroad, you can proceed to the third rite, which is to hang it over the keyhole of a church door and keep watch beside it in the porch all night till cockcrow, `and if it be that no fear hath driven you forth from the porch…then the hand be true won, and it be yours'.
To make a supply of candles, take three pounds of tallow from three types of animal (but not Sheep or Pig), mix with a few drops of a man's blood and a pea-size lump of fat from the body of either a man or a woman. The wick must include a few strands from a hangman's rope. Only milk or blood can quench it and break the magic sleep it has caused."

Benna'sywes

JackDaw

Bucca both Dark and Fair, divine androgyne, be in all hearts and on the tip of every tongue. For your time has come again as it does with the beginning of each moment! )O+>
http://www.cronnekdhu.co.uk/

#3 Guest_Landieth_*

Guest_Landieth_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 October 2008 - 02:22 PM

For quite a few years now I have been interested in what for want of a better phrase `the magickal preparation and use of relics', i.e. the magickal use of preserved/prepared, in part or whole, animals (including human) , The Waters of the Moon, The Cronnekdhu, Hand of Glory, the use of Skulls and Bones etc. By and large I have often found the historical records and even contemporary reports of the preparation rites and use of these implements to be rather incomplete. But here I think I have found a real gem, containing as it does both the preparation rites and the rite of Claiming.

Though the relic in this case may be different in nature, it may, I suspect be of particular interest to students of the `One'. It's a summery of a rite found in a manuscript book compiled By George Calvert of Kerby Moorside, North Yorkshire, in 1823, now stored at the Whitby museum in Yorkshire, enjoy.
"Cut the hand from a criminal hanging in chains on a gibbet, by night. Keep it for thirteen days in complete darkness in a strong salt pickle mingled with the urine of man, woman, dog, stallion and a mare; turn it over every night. Take it out, and dry it in sunlight for three days. Then bend the fingers round a stick, so that a candle thrust between them will be tightly gripped, and hang the hand on a wire a good way up inside your chimney, where it must stay for a (Luna) month.
During this time burn no coal on your fire, only wood. On each of the first thirteen nights of the month, throw a bundle of moist herbs and mown grass onto the fire, to give off `a goodly steam and fume'. The herbs should include Sage, Rue, Green larch, Ash, Oak, Ragwort, Nightshade, Colts foot, and field Yarrow. By the end of the month the hand should be hard and brown, ready to be `claimed'. Great care is needed in `claiming', otherwise it all fails.
Drive a nail into an ancient Oak, and hang hand there three times overnight; for another three nights lay it at midnight at the centre of a crossroads and leave it there for one hour. If neither man nor beast has moved it from it's place on the Oak and on the crossroad, you can proceed to the third rite, which is to hang it over the keyhole of a church door and keep watch beside it in the porch all night till cockcrow, `and if it be that no fear hath driven you forth from the porch…then the hand be true won, and it be yours'.
To make a supply of candles, take three pounds of tallow from three types of animal (but not Sheep or Pig), mix with a few drops of a man's blood and a pea-size lump of fat from the body of either a man or a woman. The wick must include a few strands from a hangman's rope. Only milk or blood can quench it and break the magic sleep it has caused."

Very interesting.. but what is this 'one' you mentioned? That could be suggesting several different things.

#4 Desert Sage

Desert Sage

• Seekers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 118 posts

Posted 06 January 2009 - 04:26 PM

I always thought the hand itself was supposed to be set alight.
If you are not using your brain, do you mind if I feed it to the dragon?

#5 Grimalkin

Grimalkin

The grumpy one

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 342 posts

Posted 06 January 2009 - 04:53 PM

As I learned it, it was the dried and preserved hand of a hanged man. When candles were lit on it's fingers and thumb, all in the house where the hand was used, would fall into a deep sleep. Those already asleep would remain in a deep stupor. It also induced all locks to open. The candles were made from the fat from the felon, virgin wax and ponie. The hand would also become ineffective if touched to the threshold or other parts of the house. The hand could only be extinguished by milk...no other liquid.

Posted Image
Life's only souvenir is the love we have for each other.

#6 Desert Sage

Desert Sage

• Seekers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 118 posts

Posted 08 January 2009 - 05:30 AM

Thanks Grimalkin, very interesting.
If you are not using your brain, do you mind if I feed it to the dragon?

#7 destiny

destiny

• Seekers
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 24 September 2010 - 03:31 AM

Drive a nail into an ancient Oak, and hang hand there three times overnight; for another three nights lay it at midnight at the centre of a crossroads and leave it there for one hour. If neither man nor beast has moved it from it's place on the Oak and on the crossroad, you can proceed to the third rite, which is to hang it over the keyhole of a church door and keep watch beside it in the porch all night till cockcrow, `and if it be that no fear hath driven you forth from the porch�€�then the hand be true won, and it be yours'.

#8 destiny

destiny

• Seekers
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 24 September 2010 - 03:32 AM

Drive a nail into an ancient Oak, and hang hand there three times overnight; for another three nights lay it at midnight at the centre of a crossroads and leave it there for one hour. If neither man nor beast has moved it from it's place on the Oak and on the crossroad, you can proceed to the third rite, which is to hang it over the keyhole of a church door and keep watch beside it in the porch all night till cockcrow, `and if it be that no fear hath driven you forth from the porch�€�then the hand be true won, and it be yours'.

#9 destiny

destiny

• Seekers
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 24 September 2010 - 03:35 AM

this is very interesting info as i have studied the hand of glory but only in the aspect that it is the hand of a hanged man and can be used in magickal workings. thank you for all the additional info regarding that. destiny

#10 destiny

destiny

• Seekers
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 24 September 2010 - 03:37 AM

Very interesting.. but what is this 'one' you mentioned? That could be suggesting several different things.

#11 destiny

destiny

• Seekers
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 24 September 2010 - 03:38 AM

i too am interested in the"one'. it would be great to hear your thoughts on this. destiny

#12 Grimr

Grimr

Gandreidh

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 553 posts

Posted 24 September 2010 - 06:09 AM

i too am interested in the"one'. it would be great to hear your thoughts on this. destiny

It sounds to me, and I could be wrong, but the "One" in question - is in fact the book "One: Grimoire of the Golden Toad" by Andrew D. Chumbley which documents the rite of The Waters of the Moon (i.e. The Toad Bone Rite). The rite of "claiming" the Hand of Glory is very similar in praxes to that of the Toad Bone Rite with some variable differences.

"Nothing is truly forgotten about the Arte, for within it's own domain - The Circle - the spirits will speak to those with ears to hear." - Andrew D. Chumbley

"And thus the Flesh of Clay was flayed, and from Earth's greenery, a New Flesh made!"

#13 Jevne

Jevne

Former Member

• Former Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,441 posts

Posted 28 December 2013 - 08:59 PM

Bumping this, because the subject is of interest to me.  I thought others might like to read it and comment.

#14 midsummer

midsummer

Advanced Member

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 47 posts

Posted 28 December 2013 - 09:50 PM

That is freaky. Cool, but freaky.

I wonder the reason they were created. I see it puts people to sleep, but what for? Any idea of the purpose behind it?

#15 Jevne

Jevne

Former Member

• Former Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,441 posts

Posted 28 December 2013 - 10:02 PM

I can see a lot of benefit to being able to paralyze your enemies.

#16 midsummer

midsummer

Advanced Member

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 47 posts

Posted 28 December 2013 - 11:18 PM

Oh, I see. Yes, it's obvious when you spell it out for me. Lol! Never mind me. It's not 9am here yet. More coffee :)