Half Price shopping..

Guest Landieth

Guest Landieth

Went to the local Half Price Book Store and was looking for the Egyptian Book of the Dead but they didn't have one (I should have gone to the other store come to think of it.. I've seen that book there and have thumbed through it).

Well, wound up getting 2 books, 1 I really like, and the other I knew wasn't my style but got it for the info.

1 - Charms Spells & Formulas - Ray T. Malbrough (I like this book very much and it's based in Hoodoo practice. I got it mostly for ideas and inspiration and I'm very pleased with it!)

2 - A witch's Guide to Faery Folk - Edain McCoy (definately not my style, but it does give a background (as basic as it is..) and some info on the different faery spirits. I don't agree with much in this book.. but hey - it's got some names I could work off of and figure things out on my own. Always a plus there!.. The bibliography was nice though, and probably more useful than the book.

On my next visit (probably tomorrow.. they stock new items pretty much every day) I'm getting 'Mexican Folklore' which I've thumbed through and found the tales of the saints very fascinating!) and I also plan to get a book on Aztec folklore and mythology. The book I saw was very interesting, and a subject I'm fascinated with. If anyone knows another book on Aztec mythology and folklore I'd love a reccomendation! :)

Lucky...I wish I had a half priced book store around here.

I think I have that guide to the fairy folk book. I believe I bought it for the fairy dictionary in the back. I didn't agree with some of her research but Its a good starting reference.

There is a used book store in my town and a yearly book fair with great bargains. The problem is, outside of fiction books, anything nonfiction that is non-christian is not allowed at the book fair. Whoever is in charge of it goes through donated books and throws away anything "not acceptable". I donated a couple of witchy-ish books once and they were never put pn the tables for sale. Was glad I dontated anonymously.

I never find anything too interesting at the used book store either except for fiction works. Great deals to be had for that!

Guest Landieth
There is a used book store in my town and a yearly book fair with great bargains. The problem is, outside of fiction books, anything nonfiction that is non-christian is not allowed at the book fair. Whoever is in charge of it goes through donated books and throws away anything "not acceptable". I donated a couple of witchy-ish books once and they were never put pn the tables for sale. Was glad I dontated anonymously.

Well ain't that a bag of crap.. the fundies strike again.

Guest Tiger Lady

Hmmmm... Egyptian Book of the Dead. That sounds rather awesome, I'd love to get my hands on that one. That first book sounds like a good find, the second one - I think I've heard of that author. If I'm not mistaken my mom has a book like that on her shelf.

I need to get to a used book store. I want to find 'The World Guide to Gnomes, Fairies, Elves and Other', as well as, 'A Field Guide to the Little People'.

Guest Landieth
Hmmmm... Egyptian Book of the Dead. That sounds rather awesome, I'd love to get my hands on that one. That first book sounds like a good find, the second one - I think I've heard of that author. If I'm not mistaken my mom has a book like that on her shelf.

I need to get to a used book store. I want to find 'The World Guide to Gnomes, Fairies, Elves and Other', as well as, 'A Field Guide to the Little People'.

I saw a book on Leprechauns.. lol, that looked like an interesting read. :)

Lucky...I wish I had a half priced book store around here.

I think I have that guide to the fairy folk book. I believe I bought it for the fairy dictionary in the back. I didn't agree with some of her research but Its a good starting reference.

Lol. :) Well why don't you write to the corperation? They may find it a good place to put another chain of stores.

Land, as a former Kemetic Recon, I'll tell you, stay away from Dr. Ramses Seleem. His translations are poor when it comes to the Papyrus of Gerusher and he delves into very New Age Western concepts to explain ideas that the Egyptians never actually used. If anything, go with Budge. His translations are the best. Also, if you're interested, he also did a book on Egyptian Magic which, aside from Christian undertones, was a good read. I picked both Budge books up at Half Price Books, so maybe your branch might carry them too.

Guest Landieth
Land, as a former Kemetic Recon, I'll tell you, stay away from Dr. Ramses Seleem. His translations are poor when it comes to the Papyrus of Gerusher and he delves into very New Age Western concepts to explain ideas that the Egyptians never actually used. If anything, go with Budge. His translations are the best. Also, if you're interested, he also did a book on Egyptian Magic which, aside from Christian undertones, was a good read. I picked both Budge books up at Half Price Books, so maybe your branch might carry them too.

Very cool! Thank you very much DM! :) Kudos!

Archived