Eco- home in progress!

Guest Bean Sprite

Guest Bean Sprite

We are now building the permaculture home!(yay!!!!!!)

I am now working on the floor joist made from reclaimed American chestnut wood, from a 2 story house we tore down. We have been insulating the floor with straw bailed on our farm.

After that is done, I will be raising the walls made from Raw Locust Posts cleared from the bottom land, insulating with straw, then lime mortaring the walls. The floors are reclaimed oak tounge and groove.

There will be a passive condensation cooled refridgerator and home cooling, Biomass heating stove that burns forest mulch, hulls, twigs, etc. along with a solar heater, A gravity feed sweet water spring for water in which the run-off will be used to produce hydro electric and water the animals. We have wind turbines ready to be mounted, and solar panels that will be put on the southward facing roof. The roof is a reclaimed 1800's roofing tin. We wanted to do a living roof, but that's a project for futher down the road.

We also have dry composting toilets, and grey water will be recycled to the garden and orchard. We are papercreteing the undersides of the house and the outside walls.

We will also have a walk-in storage cellar for food, a smoke house made from a 1800's outhouse (house only, hehe...), and a sun and plant room made from reclaimed poured glass windows.

All in all we are looking at about $500 dollars in total for the complete construction supplies we don't have.

The 2 story permaculture home's dimensions are 30 wide x 75 long x 27 tall.(not bad huh?)

I'll post pictures as we progress, now got to get back to work!

Guest Tiger Lady

I'm very excited for you. I need to get my ass over there and help you out. It might be what I need to get me out of this funk. :) Love ya

Guest Bean Sprite

Sorting reclaimed wood is a frigin nightmare!

TL came to help me through the piles which looked like giant beaver huts on the farm and it is a slow progress, but I am pleased to say that I think we made good progress overall.

I can't wait until I am back to building instead of sorting.

Thanxs for all the much needed help TL.

Love ya!:bunny:

Guest Bean Sprite

Forgot to say that the first day we worked, we kept being followed by my inlaws geriatric dog with horrible gas!

The event was less than pleasant.

Guest Tiger Lady
Forgot to say that the first day we worked, we kept being followed by my inlaws geriatric dog with horrible gas!

The event was less than pleasant.

She's really not kidding. I kept checking the bottom of my shoes to make sure I didn't step in dog shit. It took a while before I realized it was JJ breaking wind. Ugh! lol!

Bean is not kidding, she has a lot of work ahead of her and I'm hoping I can add my helping hand here and there. She does have a lot of beautiful wood to work with that she inherited from the 1800's farm house. She has both oak and American chestnut. Not only is it beautiful wood but heavy, oh so heavy, wood. The only bad part is that she has to wade through a lot of junk wood (paneling from the old house, etc...) to get to it. But in the end I think it will all be worth it.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived