Need your thoughts

DeviousMousie

Didn't know where else to put this but I could use some serious help on the energy end, as well as some sound advice.

For the past near year my mother has been in constant pain with her ankle. Her pain is severe and like a trooper she plows through it to get to work and do what she has to do. The doctors have pretty much ignored her; two years ago she had two surgeries to repair a tendon in her ankle and the first didn't hold, but the second appeared to have taken until recently. The pain she is experiencing is the same as it was two years ago and she is convinced that it's her tendon again but the doctors are convinced it's this, that, and the other. We have tried being patient and being pushy, nothing is getting done.

Now while I know there is nothing I can do to make her pain go away, outside of giving her surgery myself, I need some good thoughts flowing her way. Tonight we are taking her to a hospital in Seattle to see if the doctors down there aren't more compitant than the ones up here. Please, if you can think of anything mundane or magical to help her out please post it here.

I'm not sure if this is the right place for it or not but feel free to move it if it's not. Thank you all; this has seriously been one of the most stressful and aggrivating times my family has been through.

Sending you some healing but heres a few mundane suggestions.

1. Keep a symptoms diary , are there times it's worse/ better/different.

2. Is the ankle swelling up?? Take photos of it at it's worst.

3. Is your mum going into appointments on her own , if she is , is she the sort thats likely to be cowd into going away by a dr saying no no it's not what you think it is, I know cause I'm a doctor.. If she is, one of you go in there with her and start insisting!!

4. You are always entitled to ask for a second opinion! and a third/fourth and so on. Do this through the doctor shes seeing because then they have to organise it and they will look hard to make sure there isn't something they're missing which another doctor may pick up meaning you could later threaten to sue them.

5. Are you making lists of questions/info you need to give the doctor and taking it in with you? If you aren't do it because you will always forget to say something to them.

Hope these help and best of luck , big hugs to your mum!

Thanks so much guys. We originally took her to the ER on Sunday where the on staff Dr. told us that her knee was internally deranged. He, finally, got us a referral to an orthopedist. She went in on Thursday to the orthopedists but never actually saw the Dr. instead she ended up just seeing his aide; his aide told her that it was her back and to go get x-rays.

We had a rough night of it last night when she got home; apparently this guy wouldn't even take her history which she brought with her. It seems to us that no one out here is listening. She's going to call her surgeon in Ohio and see if there isn't anyone out here that he would recommend we go see.

Anyway, thanks for the suggestion soap fairy! My mom is a nurse and she's kept all the logs. She's not one to be easily intimidated by Dr's but I totally plan on going with her to her next appointment, no matter what. Didn't think about asking for a second opinion through them, I'll remember that and be sure to be a hard nose! :biggrin2: Thanks so much for the thoughts, everyone!

No probs, I think its true of al awful lot of things in life that it's always the noisiest wheel that gets the grease! Drs are encouraged to simplify things to get a diagnosis sooner but what that sometimes means is that they decide on what they think is right and stick to it till someone :blobfire: them enough that they're forced to change their mind..:sickwitch:

Oh I know, fairy! What bothers me is it seems like they're ignoring her patient history, and plus we have to fight with the insurance company too. Ah well, we'll get it through.

Thanks for all the good thoughts guys, she seems to be in a much better mood today. Still having a bit of trouble sleeping with the random twinges in her leg but at least her mood has improved a bit. *hugs* Love and good energy back to you guys! :wickedwitch:

Guest collegemogul

Hey Mousie. I just went through the same thing with my doctor and when I actually did get to see him he spent all of 45 seconds with me (conservative estimate). I'll definitely be thinking about you, your mom, and your family and sending you all the energy I can. Good luck. :)

:birthdayletter:

Archived