what was the worst book you've read on witchcraft/wicca?

Dawn

I was looking through my books the other day, boxing some up ( i have a book addiction!) and was laughing my arse off at some of the stuff i bought in the early years. I just wondered what the naffest book is that you bought? :)

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply
OMG there are so many. A real bady was WITCH by Fiona Horne

One minute she is Wiccan. Then she is a true witch. Then she doesn't believe in witchcraft. Then she switches over to some punk goth form of witchcraft and makes up a some new age form of it.

It would be as cold day in hell before I would ever consider any of her publications anything more than "half-ass fireplace material".

Damn...she could even gives the wiccans a bad name ...

I was looking through my books the other day, boxing some up ( i have a book addiction!) and was laughing my arse off at some of the stuff i bought in the early years. I just wondered what the naffest book is that you bought? :)

Let me ask you though dear (because it struck my eye)..the title for this thread...did you mean to group witchcraft with the word wicca? Or do you seen them as one in the same?

Lol i was waiting for that. I thought about how to name this thread, and i added the Wicca bit because in the beginning the only books I came accross were Wiccan and yes i bought a few:red_witch: Im ready for a good old :kat:slapping now ;)

I read both of these (at different times) while having coffee in a bookstore and I thank the gods I did, because I would never want to pay for either:

"Witta" by Edain McCoy;

"Celtic Wicca" by Deanna J. Conway.

Apart from Fiona Horne, it has to be anything by Kate West. Ive seen her speak once and was pissing myself. The hall was really quiet and i was a bit piddled. She was doing this chanty thing with some others on the stage and she told everyone off for not chanting loud enough. She said she was ashamed of them. I burst out laughing and was asked to leave....Hey ho :)

Lol i was waiting for that. I thought about how to name this thread, and i added the Wicca bit because in the beginning the only books I came accross were Wiccan and yes i bought a few:red_witch: Im ready for a good old :kat:slapping now ;)

I'll give you only one "get out of jail" free card LOL!

I read both of these (at different times) while having coffee in a bookstore and I thank the gods I did, because I would never want to pay for either:

I totally agree anything that Conway writes, all her books are the same with the names changed. I looked at her Dragon Magic book and her Celtic Wicca, then paged her Norse one too, at the book store.

I did purchase for my daughter Silver Ravens book Teen Witch, after I read it I tossed it in the fireplace literlly and would not let my daughter read it. (I thought it would be ok because I knew it was written by a fluffy, but it had way too much garbage in it).

I bought a book by her a while back by the name of "Celtic Magic". My mistake was seeing the name in a store catalogue and saying "hey this may be interesting to read". Needless to say I was wrong. When I finally got the book, I flipped through, read maybe the first two chapters and put it down disgusted. There went $6 I'll never get back. That is the last time I'll purchase a book without getting a good background or trusted review beforehand.

I bought a book by her a while back by the name of "Celtic Magic". My mistake was seeing the name in a store catalogue and saying "hey this may be interesting to read". Needless to say I was wrong. When I finally got the book, I flipped through, read maybe the first two chapters and put it down disgusted. There went $6 I'll never get back. That is the last time I'll purchase a book without getting a good background or trusted review beforehand.

Ahh yes, I got this one aswell. It was.....different. I managed a few chapters then sold it on ebay, vowing never to buy anything by her again !

And.... uuurrrgghhh it sticks in my throat but I am going to say it.... I once bought a Silver ravenwolf book to see what all the fuss was about. Good grief. People are living their lives by that sh*t. I couldn't believe how bad it was. And I have tried selling the bloody thing on ebay loads of times but nobody wants it lol !

*hangs head in shame whilst hoping for forgiveness*

Oh Deb...For shame, Sorry but I think mine has to be the readers digest guide to english legends .In my defence it was 50p at the carboot :carrot:

Or there was that Alistair crowly one which I hid under the bed after reading , that man's parents must have done a real number on him

Guest Jacquelyn

I did purchase for my daughter Silver Ravens book Teen Witch, after I read it I tossed it in the fireplace literlly and would not let my daughter read it. (I thought it would be ok because I knew it was written by a fluffy, but it had way too much garbage in it).

What is it with that woman right? I was actually given the teen witch book and the silver broomstick book :pumpkin_rolleyes: (one guess why. ***cough-cough***)

a long time ago. Now it sits in a pile of garage sale offerings. Maybe I should re-think that. It seems a little unfair to unload that on some other poor unsuspecting seeker. :lol_witch:

OMG.....I had one that was just a book of questions people ask about Wicca and how you should answer. Thought, just thought, some of the answers may help. It is now used a bathroom material for a good laugh. The answers, well 90% were stupid. The one I remember is when asked about satan and hell.....we do not believe in hell, therefore we do not believe in the devil. What?!?!?!?

I'm sure if I looked around, I have one of those Raven Silverwhateverherfreakingnameis books.

I'm sure if I looked around, I have one of those Raven Silverwhateverherfreakingnameis books.

Owwww, everyone's got one but me, I feel left out now!!:cry:

Oh I really have to do a countdown for this.

At number 3. Anything by Silver Ravenwolf

For my number 2: Anything by Fiona Horne (with whom I have crossed swords a few times)

But the clear winner by a very long way.

It has to be

Wait for it

roll of drums

Witta by Edain McCoy

if only for the assertion that in pre Xtian times the Irish lived off mainly potatoes.

Class!

Until a new 'worst ever' one comes along, of course.

Brian

Oh I really have to do a countdown for this.

At number 3. Anything by Silver Ravenwolf

For my number 2: Anything by Fiona Horne (with whom I have crossed swords a few times)

But the clear winner by a very long way.

It has to be

Wait for it

roll of drums

Witta by Edain McCoy

if only for the assertion that in pre Xtian times the Irish lived off mainly potatoes.

Class!

Until a new 'worst ever' one comes along, of course.

Brian

BUT you have to admit, its fun picking out the glaring errors in her history of witchcraft/ the world etc !

• 1 month later...

Raising Witches: Teaching the Wiccan Faith to Children by Ashlene O'Gaea.

I give it 5 toads because easing children into secret group practice, skyclad, through "candle baths" just seems like the road to Child Services in your home.

Scariest baby gift ever.

-phiguru

Archived