7 replies to this topic

#1 Ancestral Celt

Ancestral Celt

Hermit

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,162 posts

Posted 14 October 2008 - 11:16 PM

Apotropaios: Folk Magic in Britain ~ The purpose of this site is to present and gather information on a rather unusual range of objects that can be discovered hidden within the walls and under the floors of old buildings. Objects such as dried cats, horse skulls, old shoes, written curses and charms, witch-bottles and ritual marks were often placed in buildings. These objects, and many other kinds of object, were usually concealed in buildings and sometimes outdoors for use as spells or counter-spells and currently not enough is known about them. More research is needed and you might be able to help.

#2 AnjelWolf

AnjelWolf

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8,727 posts

Posted 14 October 2008 - 11:48 PM

Apotropaios: Folk Magic in Britain ~ The purpose of this site is to present and gather information on a rather unusual range of objects that can be discovered hidden within the walls and under the floors of old buildings. Objects such as dried cats, horse skulls, old shoes, written curses and charms, witch-bottles and ritual marks were often placed in buildings. These objects, and many other kinds of object, were usually concealed in buildings and sometimes outdoors for use as spells or counter-spells and currently not enough is known about them. More research is needed and you might be able to help.

This totally floored me! I never knew this existed...damn good link thank you for posting it....hhmm...dried cats, horses skulls and concealed shoes and others used as charms...hhmm....interesting.

#3 Guest_Rebie_*

Guest_Rebie_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 October 2008 - 01:56 AM

Wow, this is a wonderful idea. thank you AC, I will be checking in it from time to time.
Rebie

#4 spinney

spinney

Local hedge witch

• Moderators
  • 2,732 posts

Posted 15 October 2008 - 07:33 AM

Nice one AC. I remember this one.

#5 Ancestral Celt

Ancestral Celt

Hermit

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,162 posts

Posted 15 October 2008 - 06:51 PM

Alongside this is the Deliberately Concealed Garments Project:

The tradition of concealing clothes can be related to the practice of concealing other objects such as dried cats, witch bottles and charms in buildings. These types of object have been discovered hidden in similar places. The concealing of these items including garments can be related to folklore and superstitious traditions relating to the ritual protection of a household and its inhabitants.

Concealed garments are most often found with other objects in a cache.

#6 Aurelian

Aurelian

The Devils Enabler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,547 posts

Posted 18 January 2015 - 01:58 PM

Thought I'd give this interesting thread a bump!

Does anyone use traditional bellarmine jugs/bartmann bottles for your witch bottles? One can purchase reproductions of the original sort and I'm considering purchasing a few...they're just so much more 'magical,' IMO. Would really like to transition to these from the more basic bottles I've been using!

"The truth about the world, he said, is that anything is possible. Had you not seen it from birth and thereby bled it of its strangeness it would appear to you for what it is, a hat trick in a medicine show, a fevered dream, a trance bepopulate with chimeras having neither analogue nor precedent, an itinerant carnival, a migratory tentshow whose ultimate destination after many a pitch in many a mudded field is unspeakable and calamitous beyond reckoning." - Cormac McCarthy

#7 Ravenshaw

Ravenshaw

Life is good

• Moderators
  • 1,147 posts

Posted 13 June 2015 - 10:43 AM

Bump

Aurelian - I have never used one, but I imagine they'd be something very special!!!

RSKHFMY

#8 Lilitia

Lilitia

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 295 posts

Posted 14 June 2015 - 12:39 AM

My grandma on my mom's (the white people side) side used to write what she called "wish papers" and put them in hers

Wonder if that's what she was up to....

My mama used to tell me 'bout these
Broke, poachin' ass bitches in these streets,
So many people wanna see me fall,
Invite me to the table but don't want me to eat at all.... ---- Z'Ro the Crooked