Common myths about witchcraft and witches.

Guest Bansheekisses

Guest Bansheekisses

I know that I get asked the most absurd questions. So let us all post our favorites and maybe explain how some of these got started.

One of my favorite ones: A witch will levitate on her 13th birthday. I blame this on Sabrina the Teenage Witch ( tv series).

Or Another: Witches bathe in special water, as not to melt or loose thier human likeness. - I think part of this comes from The Wizard of Oz. The rest... I have no clue.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know that I get asked the most absurd questions. So let us all post our favorites and maybe explain how some of these got started.

One of my favorite ones: A witch will levitate on her 13th birthday. I blame this on Sabrina the Teenage Witch ( tv series).

Or Another: Witches bathe in special water, as not to melt or loose thier human likeness. - I think part of this comes from The Wizard of Oz. The rest... I have no clue.

LOL! I want to ask you WHO the hell asked you those questions?! LOL! OMG...I would have pissed myself laughing!

I don't know which question would have to have been the most absurd honestly...I think over the years they just come and go and I've learned to smile and nod, while thinking "Little simple minded person, please go away before I blast your ass"

I have to admit this thread mwill serve as a damn good giggle thread!

Guest Bansheekisses

I lived with a Mormon family as thier Nanny for about 6 months. I have some real humdingers.

A friend's daughter asked her, not long ago, if Halloween was Satan's Birthday.

I had one fellow on a date ask me to take my shoes off in a resteraunt because he heard that Witches or Witchcraft practicioners' toes gnarl and curl.

I have been known to play along with some stupid questions before.

I guess the one that takes the cake is " Can you A Sexually reproduce?" I have no idea where they got this, but I was absolutely shocked. I went straight from dumbfounded to nearly pee-ing my pants with laughter.

Edited by Bansheekisses

A friend's daughter asked her, not long ago, if Halloween was Satan's Birthday.

quote]

This one is especially perpertrated by pentacostals. I was a pentacostal for a few years & they were very upset with me for letting my sons trick or treat on halloween. Even to the point that one year a eager beaver guy brought me a video for me & my sons to watch depicting young women dressed in white then shading there clothes dancing around an altar in the woods supposedly calling on satan & celebrating his birthday (halloween). I just laughed my ass of & did not show it to my sons. He then turned around to try & keep me from taking my kids trick or treating & thru a pizza party at the local park saying the kids could dress in angel or shepard costumes types & what did I do but take my sons trick or trewating & then stop by the park & let my sons eat some pizza. They werent dressed as shepards tho. lol

Sapphire

Guest Bansheekisses
A friend's daughter asked her' date=' not long ago, if Halloween was Satan's Birthday.

quote']

This one is especially perpertrated by pentacostals. I was a pentacostal for a few years & they were very upset with me for letting my sons trick or treat on halloween. Even to the point that one year a eager beaver guy brought me a video for me & my sons to watch depicting young women dressed in white then shading there clothes dancing around an altar in the woods supposedly calling on satan & celebrating his birthday (halloween). I just laughed my ass of & did not show it to my sons. He then turned around to try & keep me from taking my kids trick or treating & thru a pizza party at the local park saying the kids could dress in angel or shepard costumes types & what did I do but take my sons trick or trewating & then stop by the park & let my sons eat some pizza. They werent dressed as shepards tho. lol

Sapphire

I never knew that. Interesting to find that out. Silly how ignorance feeds fear that feeds hatred and such.

Yeah Banshee the first time I was laid hands on & prayed over the woman who did it said gog told her that I need to ask forgiveness for witchcraft.

I couldnt think of a thing related to witchcraft that I had knowingly ppracticed except when I was 13 & spend two minutes playing with a ouji board. She said that was what it was & I needed to ask Gods forgiveness. I did but didnt really see I needed forgiving. I got plenty of stories from that time in my life that would make you laugh youre head off & then get scared or upset that people are realy like that in real life these days.

Sapphire

Guest Bansheekisses
Yeah Banshee the first time I was laid hands on & prayed over the woman who did it said gog told her that I need to ask forgiveness for witchcraft.

I couldnt think of a thing related to witchcraft that I had knowingly ppracticed except when I was 13 & spend two minutes playing with a ouji board. She said that was what it was & I needed to ask Gods forgiveness. I did but didnt really see I needed forgiving. I got plenty of stories from that time in my life that would make you laugh youre head off & then get scared or upset that people are realy like that in real life these days.

Sapphire

It surprises me all the time the depths that some religions go to, to ensure that people stay in line. Scare tactics are installed in children early and movies ect are used to make sure adults keep in line as well.

I applaud you for seeing through the tricks.

People say that witches brainwash others, but I dont see it that way at all. I think it is those that say that, that are the victims of the crime of which they accuse us of.

This goes along with the myth thing about witches.

We had a black woman that started attending services, she was a ordained pastor too. services were held in this couples log cabin home. Well the woman (lryil) whos home it was felt that god had told her that evil spirits were trying to take hold of the places & they were doing everything they could think of christian wise to cleanse the place. Well the black woman told lryil to asperge amonia & salt in each corner of the rooms & doors & such & it would rid any evil out & also get the smell out that the evil spirits were suppose to be emmanating. (this explains why the house would smell (spirits were there)) Well lryil got to thinking about it then did some praying & talked with her husband & others They decided that God was telling them this woman was voodoo & that she was trying to bring evil spirits into the home. Lyril went around telling everyone that the lady was a witch & was out to get them by sicking evil spirits on them. According to lryil witches used evil spirits to attack good people & drive them crazy.

This black woman was a very good woman. she was as nice as could be even gave my sons tamberines (sp) so they could get more into the music. Her & her mom were wonderful people. but got branded a witch & they chased her away.

Sapphire

Guest Bansheekisses
This goes along with the myth thing about witches.

We had a black woman that started attending services, she was a ordained pastor too. services were held in this couples log cabin home. Well the woman (lryil) whos home it was felt that god had told her that evil spirits were trying to take hold of the places & they were doing everything they could think of christian wise to cleanse the place. Well the black woman told lryil to asperge amonia & salt in each corner of the rooms & doors & such & it would rid any evil out & also get the smell out that the evil spirits were suppose to be emmanating. (this explains why the house would smell (spirits were there)) Well lryil got to thinking about it then did some praying & talked with her husband & others They decided that God was telling them this woman was voodoo & that she was trying to bring evil spirits into the home. Lyril went around telling everyone that the lady was a witch & was out to get them by sicking evil spirits on them. According to lryil witches used evil spirits to attack good people & drive them crazy.

This black woman was a very good woman. she was as nice as could be even gave my sons tamberines (sp) so they could get more into the music. Her & her mom were wonderful people. but got branded a witch & they chased her away.

Sapphire

I had something simular happen to me when I was younger. My grandfather had encouraged certain gifts in me when I was younger and made me feel more at home to be myself. Well, I decided to go to an Anglican church when I was 15 or so, since we had moved close by.

My family had always done good things for The Salvation Army in the past, and since we moved round the courner from the church, I went there.

I taught sunday school, lead a youth group, and taught a youth bible study. Then one day, they went into a tangent about how profetic dreams and the ability to see the future we evil and that those who did this were sinners.

Having taken courses in psychology before this message, I understood that when you sleep your shields are down and dont have any control of these things.

I left there and never looked back. They never understood why I left, but I felt so good about it. I didnt like feeling like I was under a microscope all the time, because of my dreams. ( Things I had experienced since I was a VERY young child).

It was later that same year that my destiny was handed to me on a black sheet of paper, marked in silver ink.

The most absurd thing I have heard, and my girls had to hear in school from a teacher, and at a church one child went to, Was that we have sex with and eat children. No kidding guys. My girls had a teacher in elementary school who decided to explain how halloween got started. A child had asked. He then goes to say how pagans claim to have started it but they are liars. Then he went even further with it and started explaining what pagans and witches really were and how they have sex with and eat children. Then my oldest in her early teens went to a church in town. She went until the minister started preaching about witches and how they do the same as the teacher said. They said more awful untrue things, but that is the worst and the part I remember. My girls were so appauled. HA, see those christians couldnt convert my kids cause all they did was show them what liars they are.

As for silly absurd questions, the only one I ever got was from my mother when I first told her I was a witch. She said "please tell me you do not dress in a black cloak and stand in a circle."

Rebie

Rebie that reminds me of when my youngest chris went to church with our neighbors. He was 12 & it was near halloween & this lady took the kids aside & starts telling them how bad halloween was & that it was of the devil & how it got started & all about witches & pagans & goths. Everytime the woman said something chris would interrupt her & tell her she was wrong & then he wouldtell her what I had told him & he himself had researched. He even corrected her on wicca. yeah the woman was even telling them & some of them were 4 & 5 year old that we all ate children & sacrificed them to satan. That we skinned them first. This woman had pulled up one site on the net & printed it out & gave it to the children explaing wicca & witchcraft as being the same thing & what we do & it was a really bad site.

My oldest sister asked me when she found out I was a witch if I was evil now.

Sapphire

My very favourite is when people look at my pentagram and say "But you're a good witch, right?" and my answer is "Depends if you're using 'good' as an adjective or an adverb." Most just look confused and walk away, a few pause for a second, burst out laughing, and then walk away. But they all walk away...

Rebie that reminds me of when my youngest chris went to church with our neighbors. He was 12 & it was near halloween & this lady took the kids aside & starts telling them how bad halloween was & that it was of the devil & how it got started & all about witches & pagans & goths. Everytime the woman said something chris would interrupt her & tell her she was wrong & then he wouldtell her what I had told him & he himself had researched. He even corrected her on wicca. yeah the woman was even telling them & some of them were 4 & 5 year old that we all ate children & sacrificed them to satan. That we skinned them first. This woman had pulled up one site on the net & printed it out & gave it to the children explaing wicca & witchcraft as being the same thing & what we do & it was a really bad site.

My oldest sister asked me when she found out I was a witch if I was evil now.

Sapphire

That lady must have gotten her info from the same place these guys did. I forgot the part about how we skinned them first.Geez. :pumpkin_rolleyes:

My girls did not say a word to these people or anyone like your son did. Around here that could have been very dangerous if they did. They jsut sat there listening to these people and getting real steamed inside cause they knew they were full of crap.

Rebie

Edited by Rebie

My very favourite is when people look at my pentagram and say "But you're a good witch, right?" and my answer is "Depends if you're using 'good' as an adjective or an adverb." Most just look confused and walk away, a few pause for a second, burst out laughing, and then walk away. But they all walk away...

Oh yeah, I forgot the question about being a good witch. LOL. I love your answer. You crack me up.

Rebie

That lady must have gotten her info from the same place these guys did. I forgot the part about how we skinned them first.Geez. :pumpkin_rolleyes:

My girls did not say a word to these people or anyone like your son did. Around here that could have been very dangerous if they did. They jsut sat there listening to these people and getting real steamed inside cause they knew they were full of crap.

Rebie

My sons can be very vocal sometimes. lol To them its their right to stand up & speak freely no matter the consequences. I just knew I was gonna get a visit but never did. I figured they would want to pray over us & have an exorcism or something but they never came to my door. lol

Sapphire

Guest Bansheekisses

I like the " Do you wear those striped stockings and all that?" I usually become a smart- arse and reply with " Not since my sister got a house dropped on her. I took it as a bad omen and moved on to fishnet instead."

I know, I dont help my cause, but there are just some people that deserve the stupid answers.

Guest Bansheekisses
Banshee reminded me of the lady that asked if I wore the pointy hat all the time or just when I did witchcraft. lol

Sapphire

There are just some days when you want to look them dead in the eye and play along with thier stupid comments.

I know of someone who got asked " Do you have sex for just magic, or is it also for fun"? She looked the person in the eye and said " I guess my scarlette letter is glowing again"

Oh, I just remembered one that is annoying and pisses me off. The few who do know I am a witch will sometimes ask me " are you still into that?" And they will actually be suprised when I say " of course" Like it is some phase or fad I am going through and should have passed it by now.

Rebie

Oh, I just remembered one that is annoying and pisses me off. The few who do know I am a witch will sometimes ask me " are you still into that?" And they will actually be suprised when I say " of course" Like it is some phase or fad I am going through and should have passed it by now.

Rebie

Are the ones that think youre playing fantasy & ask when youre going to grow up. My oldest sister told me my sons were big now so it was time for me to grow up cause they were pass that phase of fantasy.

Sapphire

Considering I live in an area described by some as the 'buckle' of the bible belt...I usually get, "Do you know what the Bible says about witches?."

When I ask them what version/translation of the bible they are using, since there are over 33,000 transcription errors between the Gutenburg and the King James alone, and point out the error related to witches, they get upset and walk away.