The Archaeology of Folk Magic

The Archaeology of Folk Magic ~ In this article I hope to draw to the readers' attention to a little known field of study known as the archaeology of folk magic. This is intimately related to what most people call witchcraft and involves the physical remains related to practices undertaken by the 'white' witch to protect people's property from 'black' witches and also practices which lay-folk undertook by themselves for the same reason.

The Archaeology of Folk Magic ~ In this article I hope to draw to the readers' attention to a little known field of study known as the archaeology of folk magic. This is intimately related to what most people call witchcraft and involves the physical remains related to practices undertaken by the 'white' witch to protect people's property from 'black' witches and also practices which lay-folk undertook by themselves for the same reason.

This is a very interesting link thanks for sharing it.

• 4 years later...

I've read this before somewhere?

When I was about 4 or 5, our house was raised to put in a full basement. This meant ripping the veranda down. Beneath the floor boards of the veranda in front of the door to the house were placed the corpses (just bones and mummified skin and fur left) black cats. Interestingly enough, after this was when not very good stuff started happening.

I too agree with some and disagree with some ie,not all witches in england or so called, were hung. The shoes,yes a childs shoe in bedroom is for fertility as it also a spirit trap/house in the chimneys. Horses scull or sheep well I guess it dose depend on local lore and practiced craft. I have a severed ear in a jar that i found in a dene hole that I have on my land. Why!, haven't got the foggiest. I can only make my own assumptions.

Having spells written on the walls, under or as part of the paint or drywall is pretty common around these parts. I know of such being done in children's rooms. I have also seen this done with barns, as a means of protecting livestock.