Witchcraft... Of The Future!

Holly

So I'm sure everyone has heard more than enough about the financial crisis in the USA, but frankly, it fascinates me as much as it worries me. We are literally on the cusp of the granddaddy of all depressions, and if the financial sector doesn't recover, we're back to living off the land. Well, perhaps at first we'll be living off the streets, but I also could see a gradual return to the natural state of things, which is a path I think many of us on the trad side of things find familiar. While it may never happen, I think it's fun to think about.

My father, who follows a bizarre mixture of shamanism and Christianity, has always talked about the end of the world and a return to the land. Granted, my father has been diagnosed as delusional at best, but his rants are coherent enough (if you ignore the fact that he thinks he's a prophet) and I have sat through a few of them. Basically he feels that the rest of the "modern world" will need leaders like him who know how to live off the land when our "technologies" fail us. I do kind of toy with the idea that more people will look to nature-based paths like witchcraft as we're forced to do without.

Has anyone ever seen Children of Men, with Clive Owen? It's this view of the future where basically the war-torn world of the future is falling apart while mankind is becoming extinct. There is this one character who has some kind of vaguely-defined shamanistic/witchcraft practice that the narrative suggests is was born out of desperation. Do you think because we are witches, we are desperate? Do we turn to witchcraft for revenge or solutions because we have no other outlet?

I tend to think not, that we practice because it is something that is a part of us, and not something that we simply made up as some kind of solution. For that reason, because we see witchcraft as a way of life and not some delusional last-ditch effort, we are flexible and well prepared for life no matter what happens to the economy.

So I'm sure everyone has heard more than enough about the financial crisis in the USA, but frankly, it fascinates me as much as it worries me. We are literally on the cusp of the granddaddy of all depressions, and if the financial sector doesn't recover, we're back to living off the land. Well, perhaps at first we'll be living off the streets, but I also could see a gradual return to the natural state of things, which is a path I think many of us on the trad side of things find familiar. While it may never happen, I think it's fun to think about.

My father, who follows a bizarre mixture of shamanism and Christianity, has always talked about the end of the world and a return to the land. Granted, my father has been diagnosed as delusional at best, but his rants are coherent enough (if you ignore the fact that he thinks he's a prophet) and I have sat through a few of them. Basically he feels that the rest of the "modern world" will need leaders like him who know how to live off the land when our "technologies" fail us. I do kind of toy with the idea that more people will look to nature-based paths like witchcraft as we're forced to do without.

Has anyone ever seen Children of Men, with Clive Owen? It's this view of the future where basically the war-torn world of the future is falling apart while mankind is becoming extinct. There is this one character who has some kind of vaguely-defined shamanistic/witchcraft practice that the narrative suggests is was born out of desperation. Do you think because we are witches, we are desperate? Do we turn to witchcraft for revenge or solutions because we have no other outlet?

I tend to think not, that we practice because it is something that is a part of us, and not something that we simply made up as some kind of solution. For that reason, because we see witchcraft as a way of life and not some delusional last-ditch effort, we are flexible and well prepared for life no matter what happens to the economy.

I turn to my craft because it is my roots and who I am. Like you...it simply is a way of life...of my life.

Sadly, it seems to me that to live off the land these days is more expensive than living off the 99 cent menu at McDonalds! LOL - to live off the land one has to have land. Which means one has to have a job or a way of buying land.... sigh. It's much cheaper (at least down here) to live in an apartment than to get some land.

If there was a failure of technology, and also of our agencies run by computers (police, fire, hospitals) I think there would be a horrid period of acarchy prior to a return to the land. Just like in that stadium during katrina, there would be those with guns raping and killing. Eventually those who survive would eventually return to the land, but I don't think the transition will be a safe one until the "anarchists" have all killed eachother. :-( Jeez, I'm getting to be such a pesimist!!!

Sadly, it seems to me that to live off the land these days is more expensive than living off the 99 cent menu at McDonalds! LOL - to live off the land one has to have land. Which means one has to have a job or a way of buying land.... sigh. It's much cheaper (at least down here) to live in an apartment than to get some land.

If there was a failure of technology, and also of our agencies run by computers (police, fire, hospitals) I think there would be a horrid period of acarchy prior to a return to the land. Just like in that stadium during katrina, there would be those with guns raping and killing. Eventually those who survive would eventually return to the land, but I don't think the transition will be a safe one until the "anarchists" have all killed eachother. :-( Jeez, I'm getting to be such a pesimist!!!

Sadly, Michele, I think you hit this one right on the nose.

I have to agree with Michele.

I have not seen Children of Men, but I have been hooked on a SCIFI program called Jeremia. It deals with having to go back to the land, starting a new society. But the weird thing is the people were all children when the world collapsed. A diease went thru and took only adults, not children. It was on Thursday nites, but it hasn't been on in a couple of weeks.

I don't think you will actually need your own plot of land, it will probably be 1st come, 1st served. Maybe communes will start up again for survival. But then who knows?

I don't think you will actually need your own plot of land, it will probably be 1st come, 1st served. Maybe communes will start up again for survival. But then who knows?

Absolutely first come, first serve.

While I think its nice in theory, its doubtful that this would be a viable solution. Quite simply, there are too many people to sustain. I think a die off would be inevitable.

One crop failure would spell disaster to the few who did have the luxury of land. It takes years to learn your dirt and growing conditions; voice of experience speaking here. I moved one zone over, with many of the same plants, pests, diseases, etc and it's taken me 2 yrs to have what I consider marginal gardening success. Each year it improves but if time is not a luxury, well there's going to be a serious problem.

I'm not even going to touch on the one's who are unwilling or unable to attempt something like self sustaining agriculture. 300 million people in the US alone, out of those you have the elderly/ill, the children, the McMansion dwellers, inner city druggies,etc, etc; that right there cuts the productive part of the population by at least 2/3 rd's. Its simply not sustainable. Something has to give.

I do wonder what the angry, hungry hordes will do to those who do have a plot of land and a decent crop...not a good situation IMO.

Let's not forget about peak oil either, LOL!

(Just a ray of sunshine tonight arent I?):D

Sadly, it seems to me that to live off the land these days is more expensive than living off the 99 cent menu at McDonalds! LOL

lol, you are right Michele.

The craft is a part of me. I use it in good times as well as bad- it has nothing to do with being desperate

Yeah, and by "desperate" I was also thinking of the Wiccans... I know, I am too anti-Wiccan, but they are ridiculous sometimes x_x

I agree with Arabi here, but I also think that as the US declines and the hordes of hungry people, and others with guns start up a killing sprees all over the states and with our goverment within its own collapse some other country will do a hostle or a government planned take over of our government, to keep us afloat. It maybe Canada or Britian sending troops in and Mexico moving on up into the states and taking some terrories over. I honestly don't think that the other counties in the UN will just sit back a watch what happens here in the US.

Our government will not see it fast enough and our troops will still be mainly overseas still fighting other wars, with nothing to protect our borders and the walls inside here to protect our own people from its angry people. I do see many of the people going back to the land and trying there best to live off of it, but it will not be pretty, and when all is done I think you will see a smaller US and other countries occupying parts of us.

Opps I totally forgot about witchcraft of the future. But for me, witchcraft is nothing more that what I am. If this was to happen I think that you would see more people looking toward midwifes and even looking at people who say they can heal, healers with herbs and that who can do simple things like setting bones. I think that the hospitals and the doctors will be only for the very rich that are left. I think in the cities there will be large clinics where everyone could be treated but it too would be dangerous to go to because the sick would be exposed to other sicknesses that they could get too.

And this, ladies and gents, is why I saved all that money for the plane ticket out of here. Along with the visa and all that.

If the US goes into a depression there's going to be a good bet most areas, if not all, will fall into a state of anarchy. It'll start in the inner city areas and then spread outwards as people run out of sources for food and water in one area. It's inevitable that people who aren't already living off the land in some way will probably resort to looting and the like to get the food they need. (just look at any zombie movie worth their salt; they always go looking for the non-perishables first haha)

As for witchcraft, I don't see many people turning to it unless we had a depression for decades. People's sense of morality is only heightened during a time of crisis when they need something to desperately believe in; it's honestly how most religions gain their power, they promise something to the people who are already so down-trodden; religion brings those people hope. In the end I think people will, given enough time, turn to living off the land and attempting to farm for themselves rather than taking up the mantle of witchcraft.

And this, ladies and gents, is why I saved all that money for the plane ticket out of here. Along with the visa and all that.

If the US goes into a depression there's going to be a good bet most areas, if not all, will fall into a state of anarchy. It'll start in the inner city areas and then spread outwards as people run out of sources for food and water in one area. It's inevitable that people who aren't already living off the land in some way will probably resort to looting and the like to get the food they need. (just look at any zombie movie worth their salt; they always go looking for the non-perishables first haha)

rofl, believe me, I love my zombie movies ;) I'm almost ready for anarchy. The political situation, especially on my very liberal campus, is ready to boil over. If Obama doesn't win or if the Repubs pull another win despite the popular vote, there is going to be some serious shit.

And I am getting my Visa in February. Heading to Mexico, baby.

Archived