Mirrors and Windows

#42 Aloe

Aloe

ridge running Ozark banshee..

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,420 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 04:33 PM

Love mirrors! I have huge mirrors in every room of my house except one, and that room has a small deflection mirror hanging in the window. Most of my mirrors have different spells worked into them, appropriate to their location in the house.
"The people who live in the Ozark country of Missouri and Arkansas were, until very recently, the most deliberately unprogressive people in the United States. Descended from pioneers who came West from the Southern Appalachians at the beginning of the nineteenth century, they made little contact with the outer world for more than a hundred years. They seem like foreigners to the average urban American, but nearly all of them come of British stock, and many families have lived in America since colonial days. Their material heirlooms are few, but like all isolated illiterates they have clung to the old songs and obsolete sayings and outworn customs of their ancestors." Ozark Magic and Folklore

#43 aurora

aurora

• Former Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,690 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 11:02 PM

I have been reading the previous answers on this and in my opinion, its true that they can see you through a mirror..iI also have many large mirrors around the house but there is one,in the lounge that is definitely a port hole.look in my gallery this is one of my photos. The face is behind the smudges on the glass and to me he seems so far away.there are others too.I don't have a problem with speaking or seeing the dead. The ones in the mirror don't speak,just looking.Odd I think.

#44 Whiterose

Whiterose

• Former Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,747 posts

Posted 10 May 2012 - 12:18 AM

I have been reading the previous answers on this and in my opinion, its true that they can see you through a mirror..iI also have many large mirrors around the house but there is one,in the lounge that is definitely a port hole.look in my gallery this is one of my photos. The face is behind the smudges on the glass and to me he seems so far away.there are others too.I don't have a problem with speaking or seeing the dead. The ones in the mirror don't speak,just looking.Odd I think.

The ones in the mirror bother me. The ones that interact with me in the here and now, I have no problem with. Maybe its just a left over childhood fear, who knows.

#45 ShadowKing

ShadowKing

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 294 posts

Posted 10 May 2012 - 03:26 AM

I used to see the worst things in mirrors, I guess reflections in general. I was afraid to look in the wet sink at night when I was a child and I'm still afraid to this day. I remember when I looked in the mirror one night and something actually reached out to my face. to make things worse my grandparents had one of those full room mirrors in the living room and If I wanted a good scare I would stare in it till I saw something moving on the ceiling or floor and then I would run to my room and hide. Does anyone have any idea what those horrible things are ?

I find that if I stare in a black mirror or a peace of obsidian I can see my aura or remotely view different places but Ive seen some strange things in those as well like my face becoming monstrously distorted with a creepy grin. I usually end up laughing my ass off when that happens though.

Edited by Panis, 10 May 2012 - 03:27 AM.

"We are quicksilver, a fleeting shadow, a distant sound... our home has no boundaries beyond which we cannot pass. We live in music, in a flash of color... we live on the wind and in the sparkle of a star! " -Endora

#46 Pikkusisko

Pikkusisko

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 313 posts

Posted 18 September 2012 - 01:09 AM

As a child I had a fascination with mirrors, accumulating at least six in my room at one point. It was enough to draw questions from visiting children. Having had a not so welcome experience in my early teens, I've been reconsidering them (and cutting down the number)since.In Holland it is an old tradition to cover the mirrors at night with a black cloth. I think the belief was that in doing so it would 'blind' whatever might be considered more powerful, and potentially be watching, in the dark. The colour of the cloth might be deliberately chosen for this reason.This whole topic has made me think I really need to ditch the mirrors...

Edited by ettrick, 18 June 2013 - 12:45 PM.

'There's rules to this stuff. Wishing an event to be changes elements before and after it. Memories will be destroyed, babies will not be born, potential worlds could be evaporated by your wish.' - Prismo

#47 Guest_atropa_*

Guest_atropa_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 September 2012 - 08:06 AM

Mirrors have been displayed as magickal instruments in several fairy tales such as "Cinderella", "Sleeping Beauty", "Snow White And The Seven Dwarfs", etc.

Back in the day, many witches and other spiritualists viewed mirrors as a great source of information, as well as portals in other worlds.

In today's time though, this practice seems to be almost non-existent.

What do you think? Have you ever used a regular mirror? When? In what context? How did it work out?

Let's talk :)

Use of mirrors isnt non-existant, mirrors are still used in some Traditions, but the information is usually kept to themselves. What you have on this thread is a good beginning with some good thoughts put forward.

#48 Lynn

Lynn

I've been InBetween

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 858 posts

Posted 18 June 2013 - 01:46 AM

Awww shucks, the pic ain't up anymore.

'When in danger, when in doubt, Run in circles, scream and shout" Robert Heinlein.
"Women and cats will do as they please, men and dogs need to relax and get used to the idea." Robert Heinlein

"In Wildness is the preservation of the World." Henry David Thoreau

#49 aurora

aurora

• Former Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,690 posts

Posted 18 June 2013 - 10:45 AM

Well well who knew!! Must be magic.

#50 Korellyn

Korellyn

• Seekers
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 20 June 2013 - 01:28 AM

I ward the mirrors in my home, and don't keep any in my bedroom either. They were explained to me as portals as well.

#51 Lynn

Lynn

I've been InBetween

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 858 posts

Posted 20 June 2013 - 02:36 AM

Well well who knew!! Must be magic.

LOL! Smartass! ;)

'When in danger, when in doubt, Run in circles, scream and shout" Robert Heinlein.
"Women and cats will do as they please, men and dogs need to relax and get used to the idea." Robert Heinlein

"In Wildness is the preservation of the World." Henry David Thoreau

#52 RoseRed

RoseRed

. . . Not a big believer in . . . cowinkydink ;)

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,460 posts

Posted 11 August 2013 - 02:50 PM

I've come across two mirrors over the years that were open portals.  Both were opened on accident.

The first was in a neighbors home.  This was years ago when I first started learning about these things.  She had it by her front door to ward negativity - sort of feng shui style.  She followed a ritual that she found in a book, got creeped out in the middle of it and just stopped.  Then she hung the mirror back up and convinced herself that she accomplished what she wanted to do.

The first time I walked in her home and saw that mirror my skin started to crawl.  The glass itself didn't even look flat anymore - it waved and rippled and looked different every time I looked in it.  I asked other people to look at it and no one else saw what I did but they all got a creepy feeling from it.  They just said that it looked like a cheap distorted mirror.  She said that it looked like a cheap normal mirror when she bought it.

She had all sorts of disturbances in her home which was why she asked me to stop by.  I walked through and kept coming back to that mirror.  She finally told me what she did and it made sense.  At the time I didn't know how to close a portal but it made sense to us that whatever was coming through the mirror came at certain times.  She waited until all was quiet after monitoring the activity for a while, took the mirror to the dump, broke it there, said some words which I don't remember and hung something else up in that spot.

She did a house blessing and washed every square inch of the place with Florida water.  The disturbances stopped after that.

The second mirror I came across was a few years ago and opened by a very talented but untrained child just entering adolescence.  She tried the Bloody Mary thing.  I don't think she got Mary but she definitely opened a portal. 

I closed the portal and suggested that the mirror be removed from the home.  It was an open doorway for so long that I thought it prudent to remove it.  It was replaced with a very nice medicine cabinet and a stern warning to not try to 'play' with Bloody Mary again.  It scared the shit out of the kid who was terrified of admitting what she did.  She was so relieved to be able to admit what happened and actually have someone believe her.

When my wings get tired I grab my broom.

#53 Willau

Willau

• Seekers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 225 posts

Posted 24 September 2013 - 02:37 AM

Mirrors have been a fascination of mine for a long time. I especially love looking into rear view mirrors as a way of viewing the immediate past & visualizing myself in that scenerio...

As of very recently, any mirror that I look into at the image of "myself", has become fascination. My paternal grandmother has come to me within my dreams since my elderly father (her last born of 9 & I am his last born), health has been failing rapidly. He is going to be 87 next month & thae last of her surviving children. She had passed before he was old enough to have any memory of her & was raised by his older sisters. Soo..since he never had any memory of her, of course I had never known much about her lineage.

It was through the dream that I lerned of her name & her nick-name. Her name was Nancy Catherine S___, known as "Cat", or "Sassy Cat" by her friends. When I was younger, everyone (my peers), oogled at the fact that I had cat's eyes.

Afterher contact with me, I found the one & only picture of her that exists (as far as I know). When I seen the pic, it was as if I was looking into a mirror some 90 years ago. Now, when I am looking into the mirror, like when I'm putting my face on for the day, it is her that I see. It's not creepy in any way & it is these times that I feel she is with me, or even perhaps "me".

It's quirky & comforting & fun all at the same time. I can vivdly hear her Smokey Mountain drawl, but when I try, I can not duplicate it. It is my Granny Cat. ♥

#54 Wexler

Wexler

Something wrong? Blame retrograde

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,109 posts

Posted 28 December 2013 - 12:22 AM

I have noticed that whenever I look in to my eyes in a mirror I get extremely creeped out, as if I am looking at a doppelganger of myself who is only pretending to mimic my movements. This thread has made me think that I should explore that a little more and see what comes of it.

'Sir,' I said to the universe, 'I exist.'

'That,' said the universe, 'creates no sense of obligation in me whatsoever.'

[avatar source]

#55 midsummer

midsummer

Advanced Member

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 47 posts

Posted 29 December 2013 - 12:29 AM

I don't have a mirror in my bedroom anymore. Hubby doesn't like them - lol! Interestingly, I always had a mirror in my room before meeting him, whether it was one I put there myself, or one that was built into the wardrobe in the houses I rented. Odd.

I would often wake with the feeling someone was standing next to my bed, looking at me. Sometimes I'd feel the weight shift on the bed, as though someone sat on my legs or the edge of the bed. It used to scare me when I was younger, especially when my cat would hiss at the end of my bed. I got used to it when I got older though. I kind of miss having a mirror. I've always been drawn to them. I would spend hours as a child in front of my mirror acting out my daydreams or pretending I was a singer. Lol!! If I am upset I also like to go to the mirror and see myself cry. I know that sounds utterly bizarre, but I've done it since I was a kid. It's comforting. Maybe I'm being comforted by a presence in the mirror? Now that's an interesting thought.

#56 midsummer

midsummer

Advanced Member

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 47 posts

Posted 29 December 2013 - 12:31 AM

I should clarify that the presence next to/on my bed stopped after I took out the mirror from my bedroom. So there was definitely a correlation there.

#57 Aurelian

Aurelian

The Devils Enabler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,547 posts

Posted 29 December 2013 - 12:47 AM

Yeah, there was one in the bedroom of this house when I moved in.  Couldn't ever fall asleep, got rid of that thing and no problems since!  Made me twitch and horrid dreams, no mirrors in the bedroom, no thanks!

"The truth about the world, he said, is that anything is possible. Had you not seen it from birth and thereby bled it of its strangeness it would appear to you for what it is, a hat trick in a medicine show, a fevered dream, a trance bepopulate with chimeras having neither analogue nor precedent, an itinerant carnival, a migratory tentshow whose ultimate destination after many a pitch in many a mudded field is unspeakable and calamitous beyond reckoning." - Cormac McCarthy

#58 Raineylane

Raineylane

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 565 posts

Posted 29 December 2013 - 01:05 PM

Interesting.  Same here.  I had a beautiful antique filagree framed mirror in my bedrooom once,  For some reason, everytime I woke up in the night I was facing the wall that the mirror was on and it always freaked me out.  In my half-awake state, I always thought it was a window and someone had been on the other side peeking in, even though I could not see my reflection in it from where I was lying.  ((((shudder))))

I finally removed it.

I never thought about the other "otherworldly" strangeness that stopped once I removed it, until now that you mention it.

#59 BrythonicWitch

BrythonicWitch

Advanced Member

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 07 January 2014 - 09:37 PM

I have an aversion to mirrors and generally try to avoid having them in my house. I don't really know why I feel this way about them but I always have. Looking into a mirror generally creeps me out. I think it's just the weirdness of seeing what you perceive to be your 'own world' looking back at you in reverse, or perhaps it's the fact I get weird vibes from them. 

I hadn't thought of mirrors being portals but that makes so much sense after reading through the thread. In some ways, the idea is almost comforting but I still wouldn't want to hang them in every room...  :spook:  :scared:

"These late eclipses in the sun and moon portend no good to us." - King Lear

"The croaking raven doth bellow for revenge." - Hamlet 

#60 ArcticWitch

ArcticWitch

• Former Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 708 posts

Posted 02 August 2016 - 11:11 PM

Bump.

Until last night, my experience with mirrors was what has already been mentioned in this thread: that they allow things from the Other side to view us, as well as to reflect things in our own realm that wouldn't otherwise be seen.  One of the most surprising and comforting recent experiences was earlier this year, when I was on the other side of the continent and awoke in the hotel room to see something from home hazily imaged in the floor-to-ceiling mirror situated on the opposite side of my bed.

Now?  Some can be portals.  In related news, I have added black cloth to my shopping list.  At least my confidence was revived by how well I handled yesterday evening's unexpected situation, but now I have to weigh the consequences of satisfying my curiosity versus staying safe.  Ah, the conundrums of the magical life!

[Edited for grammar]

Edited by ArcticWitch, 02 August 2016 - 11:34 PM.