• Please log in to reply
84 replies to this topic

#21 arabi

arabi

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,323 posts

Posted 03 October 2008 - 03:14 AM

[quote name='Grymdycche']I read that mirrors were covered after a death in the family so that the deceased would not look in the mirror and get "trapped"; or maybe fascinated; in any case, it was to help them move on without distraction.
>Exactly.

According to another superstition or belief, it's also supposed to be bad luck to look in one after someone dies, I think the first person to do so is fated to die next or something like that.

>I was taught this as well.

quote]

Somewhere, however far or near, there is something very dark and grim hurtling toward each one of us. We just don't know when it will hit. Then, quite suddenly, it won't be all right at all.

#22 DeviousMousie

DeviousMousie

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 93 posts

Posted 03 October 2008 - 06:05 AM

I've never used a mirror in my personal work, for no reason other than I haven't find the right mirror. Hahaha!

Though I do stand that mirrors of portals and I will never keep one at the end of my bed. I totally believe in the mirror and the end of the bed myth. In fact they completely creep me out.

#23 AnjelWolf

AnjelWolf

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8,727 posts

Posted 03 October 2008 - 06:10 AM

Though I do stand that mirrors of portals and I will never keep one at the end of my bed. I totally believe in the mirror and the end of the bed myth.

Just an off the wall question...does that also count if your having sex in front of a mirror too???

#24 Grymdycche

Grymdycche

Thaumaturge Medicocre

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,480 posts

Posted 03 October 2008 - 04:36 PM

What about mirrors on the ceiling? :naughty:
http://runeforum.phrets.com
9 out of 10 string theory physicists agree: 'Nothing Rests; Everything Moves; Everything Vibrates'' -the Kybalion.

#25 DeviousMousie

DeviousMousie

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 93 posts

Posted 03 October 2008 - 04:51 PM

-shivers- I don't ever want to think about mirrors on the ceiling. I could never get to sleep with a mirror above me for more than one reason, haha. That would hurt if it fell!

You know, I dunno on the sex question, haha. I think it's un-nerving but I know people who enjoy watching themselves have sex. Honestly, it sounds a little narcissistic to me!

#26 Startella

Startella

Czarwonica

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,265 posts

Posted 03 October 2008 - 04:58 PM

Mirrors have been displayed as magickal instruments in several fairy tales such as "Cinderella", "Sleeping Beauty", "Snow White And The Seven Dwarfs", etc.

Back in the day, many witches and other spiritualists viewed mirrors as a great source of information, as well as portals in other worlds.

In today's time though, this practice seems to be almost non-existent.

What do you think? Have you ever used a regular mirror? When? In what context? How did it work out?

Let's talk :)

I have used mirrors for many years. I remember doing the Bloody Mary thing at my 10th birthday party sleep over and honestly can't remember what happend but thats when the fastenation started for me.

I had a vanity mirror in my bedroom and ever since then I would see eyes or movement in the mirror not all the time but sometimes in the dark. I would wake up feeling that someone was stairing at me. Since then I put a cloth over the mirror when I slep and do not, will not have a mirror in the bedroom. When I travel and go to motels I always carry a few candles and will light them in front of the mirrors. I was told that the candle light is so intense that they can not see into our world.

I have used mirrors as portals to other worlds and scrying, and one time I used a mirror in our new house to draw the darkness out and into the mirror and then I placed it into a black cloth and burried it, thus the darkness was trapped in the mirror. I use them for deflective magic, shields and many other things too.

I have only had one bad experience with mirrors, back in the day of waterbeds and mirrors over the bed, my x took me to a hotel with a waterbed that had mirrors over it, I was about 8 mts pg for my son, I remember loving the waterbed cause I could finally sleep on my stomach, I remember waking up laying on my back and I saw several pairs of hands on my stomach in the mirror it scared the shit out of me and he had to take me home right then.

I love mirrors and have several most in storage right now though, one on the wall opposite at the front door to reflect out. I also remember years ago when I was at a wake in the family they had put black cloths over all the mirrors in the home. My mother only told me it was out of respect for the dead. When my grandfather died I asked about it and she told me that the body was not in the house so it was not needed, but I did notice that my grandmother had taken all the mirrors in the house down and she had soaped up the mirror in the bathroom so you could not see into it. I remember scraping a smiley face in it, although I never told anyone, next time I went in someone had soaped it out.

I dont have a black mirror although I have it on my do get list or actually to make list. I really don't think that it has died out, I just don't think that it gets talk about that much anymore. (When I go to the bathroom, I also get in there very fast and never look into or I will turn on the light.)

Edited by Startella, 03 October 2008 - 05:03 PM.

“Draco Dormien Nuquam Titillandus”
(Never Tickle A Sleeping Dragon)

#27 AnjelWolf

AnjelWolf

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8,727 posts

Posted 03 October 2008 - 07:24 PM

I have used mirrors for many years. I remember doing the Bloody Mary thing at my 10th birthday party sleep over and honestly can't remember what happend but thats when the fastenation started for me.

I had a vanity mirror in my bedroom and ever since then I would see eyes or movement in the mirror not all the time but sometimes in the dark. I would wake up feeling that someone was stairing at me. Since then I put a cloth over the mirror when I slep and do not, will not have a mirror in the bedroom. When I travel and go to motels I always carry a few candles and will light them in front of the mirrors. I was told that the candle light is so intense that they can not see into our world.

I have used mirrors as portals to other worlds and scrying, and one time I used a mirror in our new house to draw the darkness out and into the mirror and then I placed it into a black cloth and burried it, thus the darkness was trapped in the mirror. I use them for deflective magic, shields and many other things too.

I have only had one bad experience with mirrors, back in the day of waterbeds and mirrors over the bed, my x took me to a hotel with a waterbed that had mirrors over it, I was about 8 mts pg for my son, I remember loving the waterbed cause I could finally sleep on my stomach, I remember waking up laying on my back and I saw several pairs of hands on my stomach in the mirror it scared the shit out of me and he had to take me home right then.

I love mirrors and have several most in storage right now though, one on the wall opposite at the front door to reflect out. I also remember years ago when I was at a wake in the family they had put black cloths over all the mirrors in the home. My mother only told me it was out of respect for the dead. When my grandfather died I asked about it and she told me that the body was not in the house so it was not needed, but I did notice that my grandmother had taken all the mirrors in the house down and she had soaped up the mirror in the bathroom so you could not see into it. I remember scraping a smiley face in it, although I never told anyone, next time I went in someone had soaped it out.

I dont have a black mirror although I have it on my do get list or actually to make list. I really don't think that it has died out, I just don't think that it gets talk about that much anymore. (When I go to the bathroom, I also get in there very fast and never look into or I will turn on the light.)

THAT is interesting!

#28 Grymdycche

Grymdycche

Thaumaturge Medicocre

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,480 posts

Posted 03 October 2008 - 10:29 PM

That was a Rosemary's Baby moment, huh? :bolt:

http://runeforum.phrets.com
9 out of 10 string theory physicists agree: 'Nothing Rests; Everything Moves; Everything Vibrates'' -the Kybalion.

#29 Guest_Rebie_*

Guest_Rebie_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 October 2008 - 12:03 AM

When I read about the use of mirrors and what not to do with them in Feng shui, I followed their instructions. All those problems dissapeared once the mirrors were either moved, or covered. So in my bedroom there is only one mirror. It is there cause I have no other place to put it. So, I keep a cloth over it at all times. It is attached to a piece of furniture. That is why i cannot just take it down and put it away. It is across the end of my bed. Once I covered it, hubby quit compaining about feeling sick and pain. I didn't tell him why I covered that mirror. So I know it really worked.
I also remember playing bloody mary. We did it in the bathroom in elementary school during recess. I saw something in that mirror. Scared the crap out of me. But I think it was just childhood imagination taking over. Either way, I do not stare into mirrors in dark rooms unless I am scrying.
Rebie

#30 Guest_Rebie_*

Guest_Rebie_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 October 2008 - 12:06 AM

That was a scary thing to wake up to. Geez, I don't blame you for going home right away.
Rebie

#31 wolfjan1

wolfjan1

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,838 posts

Posted 04 October 2008 - 02:01 AM

I use mirrors for protection all over the house, Even in my room. I cannot see myself in any of them, as they are placed to reflect light as well, so they are above my bed vision. I had one in the front door window, but since I bound that trouble maker, she won't come in the house. It was meant to make her see her nasty face before she came in. She hated it and always commented about it. She didn't like the one over my mothers' chair with the protection stones and the pentacle either.

#32 Nyxiah

Nyxiah

Mistress of Twisted Bats

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,169 posts

Posted 04 October 2008 - 09:55 AM

^ Wow that's really interesting, I've never heard of a mirror used that way but it certainly seems helpful.

I've never actually used a mirror in divination before but i've heard a lot about black scrying mirrors and have always been curious about what i would see

#33 Michele

Michele

The Exiled Goddess

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7,033 posts

Posted 05 October 2008 - 01:08 AM

Okay - all this talk of mirrors got me in the mood to try a little mirror scrying. I have a black mirror that was a gift but I wanted something small and hand held I could sit at the table with...
I went to see some friends today who had a booth at the GLCC flea-market, and low and behold, a booth nearby had this beautiful metal/gold hand-held, old-time lady's mirror. The gold leaf is rubbed off the handle in places and the yellow satin on the back is a bit watermarked, but other than that it was perfect! I asked the guy how much (I only had 20 bucks on me and that was supposed to be for lunch) and he said $2.00!!!!! Guess who owns that mirror now???
Then my friends bought me lunch for helping them pack up the booths, then we stopped by the neighborhood gay bar and the bartender bought me a bunch of shots (and I'm totally not used to shots!) so all in all I had a very lovely day and as soon as I sober up will try a little mirror scrying.
P.S. cleaned the mirror (very gently) with soap and water, then a rue-tea wash just in case :-D

#34 AnjelWolf

AnjelWolf

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8,727 posts

Posted 05 October 2008 - 01:23 AM

Okay - all this talk of mirrors got me in the mood to try a little mirror scrying. I have a black mirror that was a gift but I wanted something small and hand held I could sit at the table with...
I went to see some friends today who had a booth at the GLCC flea-market, and low and behold, a booth nearby had this beautiful metal/gold hand-held, old-time lady's mirror. The gold leaf is rubbed off the handle in places and the yellow satin on the back is a bit watermarked, but other than that it was perfect! I asked the guy how much (I only had 20 bucks on me and that was supposed to be for lunch) and he said $2.00!!!!! Guess who owns that mirror now???
Then my friends bought me lunch for helping them pack up the booths, then we stopped by the neighborhood gay bar and the bartender bought me a bunch of shots (and I'm totally not used to shots!) so all in all I had a very lovely day and as soon as I sober up will try a little mirror scrying.
P.S. cleaned the mirror (very gently) with soap and water, then a rue-tea wash just in case :-D

Cool! Keep us posted how it went :)

#35 Michele

Michele

The Exiled Goddess

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7,033 posts

Posted 06 October 2008 - 03:00 AM

Okay - after I cleaned the mirror and gave it it's rue bath and let it dry, I put it on the table, fed the cat, walked the dog, let the cat out, came back inside. There is now a clear and precise cat paw-print smack in the middle of hte mirror. I've left it there as Poppet seemed to feel it was needed.
I tried my first go at scrying tonight. Held the mirror at a slight angle and focused on the glass, not the images, until everything got very fuzzy.. then just stared. Only thing that has happened so far is that the paw print keeps floating off in front of the mirror, like in a 3-D movie or something. Will keep at it as I'd imagine it takes a bit of work - lol...

#36 Nyxiah

Nyxiah

Mistress of Twisted Bats

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,169 posts

Posted 06 October 2008 - 05:38 AM

lol ah cats, the ever present know it alls of the spirit realm! :D cheeky things aren't they? Wonder if she put it there to protect you or to put her claim on you if anything nasty tried to get through, like a warning?
I make the path - Alice from Tim Burton's Alice in Wonderland.

#37 Startella

Startella

Czarwonica

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,265 posts

Posted 08 October 2008 - 02:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Startella Posted Image

That was a Rosemary's Baby moment, huh? :bolt:

LOL! Actually I think it was me being sensitive to the slease that used that hotel room. It was not a better hotel, he was only looking to give me a good nights sleep in a way that I did before. I know I didn't feel "right" in there.. actually I don't really like staying in motels or hotels, I get weird vibs from them.

“Draco Dormien Nuquam Titillandus”
(Never Tickle A Sleeping Dragon)

#38 Michele

Michele

The Exiled Goddess

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7,033 posts

Posted 08 October 2008 - 12:09 PM

Okay - back to scrying ion my new mirror - I find I get a better result if I concentrat on the pawprint Poppet left in the middle of the mirror. I did this for sometime until I got in the "meditative zone" and I saw a very strong light behind me - but don't know if it was behine ME or behind my REFLECTION in the mirror. So I said "well, show yourself... come on out" and it got a big bigger and brighter, but my eyes started to water up and I lost it.
So what think? Was it in the mirror or in the room? Was it my tired eyes needing a break or was it "something"?????
Haven't done it again as I watched the debate last night... will try again soon. Opinions?? Suggestions???

#39 Mountain Witch

Mountain Witch

Practical b/witch

• Moderators
  • 3,825 posts

Posted 08 October 2008 - 12:46 PM

Michele,

Poppet probably left the pawprint to help you! And, I suspect the light you saw was actually in the mirror. I don't use mirrors but a bowl of water and generally when something like that happens (for me it's clouding of the water), it's someone/something that has brushed against the surface accidentally. If the same thing happens again, you may get better results as whoever/whatever it is will be curious and come back. Or not.

#40 Jevne

Jevne

Former Member

• Former Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,441 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 01:32 AM

Bumping this thread, which came up in Bloody Mary search (the urban legend, not the drink) and thought it would be interesting to discuss mirrors.

I use mirrors for portals, for scrying, for reflection, and for deflection. I have several, but rarely spend much time actually primping. I feel that mirrors are very useful Witch tools.

Jevne