• Please log in to reply
84 replies to this topic

#1 AnjelWolf

AnjelWolf

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8,727 posts

Posted 02 October 2008 - 06:08 AM

Mirrors have been displayed as magickal instruments in several fairy tales such as "Cinderella", "Sleeping Beauty", "Snow White And The Seven Dwarfs", etc.

Back in the day, many witches and other spiritualists viewed mirrors as a great source of information, as well as portals in other worlds.

In today's time though, this practice seems to be almost non-existent.

What do you think? Have you ever used a regular mirror? When? In what context? How did it work out?

Let's talk :)

#2 Guest_Landieth_*

Guest_Landieth_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 October 2008 - 06:31 AM

Mirrors have been displayed as magickal instruments in several fairy tales such as "Cinderella", "Sleeping Beauty", "Snow White And The Seven Dwarfs", etc.

Back in the day, many witches and other spiritualists viewed mirrors as a great source of information, as well as portals in other worlds.

What do you think? Have you ever used a regular mirror? When? In what context? How did it work out?

I use mirrors this way. (Which is also why I'm careful about looking into one. Call me superstitious, but hey! I've had weird experiences.)

It may seem to be non-existent too, but it's actually very much not.

I use both reflective (the most common kind) and the black.. but I only have one black mirror and I keep it in my closet. I find the black mirror only speaks out to show 'true forms' and guides.

I personally love mirrors for a more magical use. But the saying 'mirrors cannot lie' is a lie in itself. They're great for calling spirits, and I definitely agree on getting information. It also makes remote viewing much easier.

I agree with the 'portal' view too. Not just exploring other worlds, but as a means to transport your energy to another location through another reflective or shiny surface.

I've also figured out some mirrors work differently than others, at least for me. One might express visual appearance of a spirit, others might speak through my own reflection. And using your own reflection for information is the easiest method for me. Just send a thought or question to the other me, and it'll respond back in the same fashion. (but usually the response with this method is by feeling).

Neat thread Anjel! :)

#3 Michele

Michele

The Exiled Goddess

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7,033 posts

Posted 02 October 2008 - 11:47 AM

I've used mirrors for "deflection" reflection many times, both for me and for friends. I was told eons ago never to sleep with a mirror in my room, and I haven't had one in the bedroom for ages.
Since my little problem with Poppet, I'veput up protections on my mirrors... interestingly enough Poppet, who was never interested in mirrors, has taken to sitting in front of one in particular in my hallway and watching it. Bit creepy sometimes - I wonder what she sees?
In one of my favourite fictional books the main character has a mirror in her house through which she can view the village just like it was a window to the village. Others who come into her house just see their reflection (except one little girl who also sees the village and the lady ends up training her...)
I konw many people use "black mirrors" for scrying. I have one that a dear friend made for me, but I've not worked with it at this point, I've wored more with the poem she wrote me to go with it.
I do love mirrors, though. Especially those beautiful artsy ones youcan find in old shops and stuff....

#4 Guest_Rebie_*

Guest_Rebie_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 October 2008 - 12:38 PM

I use a regular mirror for scrying. It is a lovely old hand held one that I only use for scrying. It stays wrapped in a black cloth when not in use. It has worked well for me when I am using it to scry.
I have never tried to use a mirror as a portal. But have come across a few that felt as though they could be portals.
Rebie

#5 Mountain Witch

Mountain Witch

Practical b/witch

• Moderators
  • 3,826 posts

Posted 02 October 2008 - 03:51 PM

And don't forget the "Mirror of Erised" in Harry Potter!

I have only used a mirror once and that was for deflective magic. I used the hand-held one in my bathroom drawer - it was handy and I needed one.

We DO have four largish mirrors in our house. Three are antiques. Two belonged to my great-aunt and seem benign. The one that hubby purchased many years ago is weird! The silvering on the back is not in the best condition and you occasionally see strange shapes moving through it. But nothing bad has happened so I just leave it alone.

#6 AnjelWolf

AnjelWolf

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8,727 posts

Posted 02 October 2008 - 03:58 PM

I''ve had a black one for scrying, but it didn't seem to be one of my strongest points (I had good success with it don't get me wrong, just didn't seem that strong).

I agree about the supersititions of the mirror and limit myself using one (a lady has to have on e if applying make-up LOL!).

I know my mother used a regular old mirror for soem of her things...but never really explained to me what or why (she would always scoot me out of her bedroom when she was doing that LOL!).

I do have an old one in a decorated gold painted frame in the cloest of my bedroom...maybe I should pull it out and give it a whirl LOL1

#7 Guest_Landieth_*

Guest_Landieth_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 October 2008 - 05:06 PM

I've used mirrors for "deflection" reflection many times, both for me and for friends. I was told eons ago never to sleep with a mirror in my room, and I haven't had one in the bedroom for ages.
Since my little problem with Poppet, I'veput up protections on my mirrors... interestingly enough Poppet, who was never interested in mirrors, has taken to sitting in front of one in particular in my hallway and watching it. Bit creepy sometimes - I wonder what she sees?
In one of my favourite fictional books the main character has a mirror in her house through which she can view the village just like it was a window to the village. Others who come into her house just see their reflection (except one little girl who also sees the village and the lady ends up training her...)

I put protection on my mirrors too. Haha, and I've heard that bit about not sleeping in a room with a mirror too. And I don't. I always shut the closet where my black one sits.

I know my mother used a regular old mirror for soem of her things...but never really explained to me what or why (she would always scoot me out of her bedroom when she was doing that LOL!).

Seems me and you have that in common with our mothers.

#8 LadyHawk

LadyHawk

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,087 posts

Posted 02 October 2008 - 06:04 PM

Ah well....just to be different,as always,lol...I sleep with a large mirror in my room because it is the entry point for my travels....I don't use mirrors for scrying because I'm useless at it....I use water.

I have had a couple of very bad experiences with a very old mirror in my grandmas house when I was a wee girl, so I am respectful of them

LadyHawk x

#9 Guest_Rebie_*

Guest_Rebie_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 October 2008 - 07:47 PM

I forgot to add that I use mirrors in deflective magic too. LOL. Just wanted to add that. And Landieth, I will not sleep with a mirror positioned in my room where I can see myself from my bed. That is feng shui and I definatly follow that one. When I learned about it and changed my room, things got much better for my health, marriage and money. I also postition mirrors in the home to stop negative energy from entering. Wow, I use mirrors more than I realised.
Rebie

#10 arabi

arabi

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,323 posts

Posted 02 October 2008 - 10:19 PM

>That is exactly what I was taught. They are portals.

I have one in my bedroom that I use as a portal.

The way it was explained to me was that a mirror is like a one sided glass at the police station (paraphrasing here). Basically, the other sides can see our world but we cant see them without effort; hence the scrying.
I've noticed while travelling that I can locate my mirror in the bedroom and can see Josh sleeping. Its kinda weird when you think of how many "others" have been keeping an eye on you.:eek:

This time of year its easier for me to be able to sense when they are having a peek though. Luckily, I'm boring and they probably just move along, LOL!

When we have a death in our family the mirrors are covered or removed altogether. When they are put back proper, they are first washed with a "potion" to cleanse them.

Edited by arabi, 02 October 2008 - 10:20 PM.
typo

Somewhere, however far or near, there is something very dark and grim hurtling toward each one of us. We just don't know when it will hit. Then, quite suddenly, it won't be all right at all.

#11 Michele

Michele

The Exiled Goddess

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7,033 posts

Posted 02 October 2008 - 10:28 PM

Interesting - what is the reason they are covered? A Jewish friend once told me they cover mirrors after a death and "sit chiva" (sp) but she said they do it so they can grieve and not worry about what they look like. ???? I wonder if it started as something more, and if there is another reason she is not aware of?????
If I did have a mirror in the bedroom, I'd def cover it during ssex (damn - there goes my plan to put mirrors over then bed!) LOL

#12 arabi

arabi

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,323 posts

Posted 02 October 2008 - 11:02 PM

Several reasons but I'll only share a bit:)

They are covered to allow the spirit's energy to move on easier and to keep any negative energies at bay while grieving.

I didnt know about Jews doing this. Interesting.

Somewhere, however far or near, there is something very dark and grim hurtling toward each one of us. We just don't know when it will hit. Then, quite suddenly, it won't be all right at all.

#13 AnjelWolf

AnjelWolf

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8,727 posts

Posted 02 October 2008 - 11:09 PM

I have one in my bedroom that I use as a portal.

The way it was explained to me was that a mirror is like a one sided glass at the police station (paraphrasing here). Basically, the other sides can see our world but we cant see them without effort; hence the scrying.
I've noticed while travelling that I can locate my mirror in the bedroom and can see Josh sleeping. Its kinda weird when you think of how many "others" have been keeping an eye on you.:eek:

This time of year its easier for me to be able to sense when they are having a peek though. Luckily, I'm boring and they probably just move along, LOL!

When we have a death in our family the mirrors are covered or removed altogether. When they are put back proper, they are first washed with a "potion" to cleanse them.

You know I just now realized something...I have absolutely no mirrors hanging up in my bedroom. Not a one. Not even a small compact. except for that one hugef one in the back of my bedroom closet.

#14 AnjelWolf

AnjelWolf

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8,727 posts

Posted 02 October 2008 - 11:10 PM

Several reasons but I'll only share a bit:)

They are covered to allow the spirit's energy to move on easier and to keep any negative energies at bay while grieving.

I didnt know about Jews doing this. Interesting.

I knew that the gypsies would do this when there is a death in the family.

#15 Leigh

Leigh

Lover, Dreamer, Me

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,560 posts

Posted 02 October 2008 - 11:44 PM

I haven't used mirrors for scrying ...yet. It's on the to-try list, just haven't gotten around to it yet.

I'll toss this out there... I rarely look at mirrors in a dark room. When we were kids, my older sister did the "Bloody Mary" chant with her friends and they got the shit scared out of them when some thing actually happened. Of course, she had to share the story with me the next day (I was nine or ten), thus a paranoia was born.

#16 Michele

Michele

The Exiled Goddess

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7,033 posts

Posted 03 October 2008 - 12:24 AM

I won't loook in a dark mirror - when I wake up at 3 a.m. and have to pee, I just stagger to the bathroom, but def keep my eyes from the mirror. Have no clue why. It's just seeing those little "peripheral" (sp) things in them that when u look aren't there, but when u look nearby but not AT, are there... naw, when it's dark I just don't look.

#17 Morgana

Morgana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,972 posts

Posted 03 October 2008 - 01:48 AM

I try to avoid mirrors unless I need to put on makeup or brush the mop!! I had a strange experience with a mirror when I dwelled tooooo long in front of one. I was putting my hair up and fixing the makeup and saw a woman standing behind me. I turned and looked, no one was there. Went back to the mirror and there she was again. Turned again, no one, turned again, back in the mirror. I kinda freaked out and left the room FAST!!!! Came to realize later that I was concentrating so much on the mirror, that I may have seen me in another life (?). Have never had the experience again, but I still try not to dwell too long at a mirror. I still have the mirror in the house, but not where I would look at it all time.
Earth as Body become Me
Air as Life breathe through Me
Fire as Spirit consume Me
Water as Blood flow through Me
Spirit as Guide lead Me

#18 Grymdycche

Grymdycche

Thaumaturge Medicocre

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,480 posts

Posted 03 October 2008 - 02:56 AM

I read that mirrors were covered after a death in the family so that the deceased would not look in the mirror and get "trapped"; or maybe fascinated; in any case, it was to help them move on without distraction.

According to another superstition or belief, it's also supposed to be bad luck to look in one after someone dies, I think the first person to do so is fated to die next or something like that.

I have a nice black scrying mirror that I bought just recently, but haven't practiced it yet, so I have no idea if I'm any good at scrying or not! Sure is pretty though. ;)

There's a big mirror on the wife's vanity in the bedroom. It's never bugged me though. I don't get the impression there's anyone or anything on the "other" side - and it's too dusty for them to look through if there were! :lol:

I get a little creeped out looking in a darkened room's mirror at night as well! I put a dimmer switch in the bathroom, and it's on super low at night; when I get up to take a leak in the middle of the night, sometimes it's just creepy to look in it. Bloody Mary or something I suppose. Anyone remember that great scene from "American Werewolf in London" where Jack the corpse appears in the mirror that David is looking in? Yikes.

http://runeforum.phrets.com
9 out of 10 string theory physicists agree: 'Nothing Rests; Everything Moves; Everything Vibrates'' -the Kybalion.

#19 AnjelWolf

AnjelWolf

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8,727 posts

Posted 03 October 2008 - 03:03 AM

I get a little creeped out looking in a darkened room's mirror at night as well! I put a dimmer switch in the bathroom, and it's on super low at night; when I get up to take a leak in the middle of the night, sometimes it's just creepy to look in it. Bloody Mary or something I suppose. Anyone remember that great scene from "American Werewolf in London" where Jack the corpse appears in the mirror that David is looking in? Yikes.

I do remember that movie as well and the Bloody Mary Legends as well and yes it tends to creep me out a bit if I got to use the bathroom at night.

I click on the light and "get 'er done" then scoot back to bed LOL!

#20 arabi

arabi

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,323 posts

Posted 03 October 2008 - 03:08 AM

I knew that the gypsies would do this when there is a death in the family.

Well the cat's out of the bag now, LOL. That is who taught me the lore, Mom's side was Gypsy remember! :D