Gallery of Nicolay Bessonov (historical witchcraft torture etc)

spinney

I love the Sabbats gallery, beautiful.

The others actually made me cry as well. Im not one of the 'never agin the burning times' crew but I do believe our witch sisters were treated this way and should be remembered.

Edited by spinneyhex

Wow, that was some horrible stuff that they did back then.

But on an upside...a few gave me some really cool photo shoot concepts!

Stay tuned...

That's sounds very interesting AW. I can totally see you doing a whole series or something, and showing your photos in a gallery setting. You would do an amazing job of it.

Im not one of the 'never agin the burning times' crew but I do believe our witch sisters were treated this way and should be remembered.

You stated that perfectly :) And yes they should be remembered :) This is our history and it affects us all...no matter what path we walk :)

Cool paintings. Whats with the medieval devil with the "temptation" heading though?

I liked the night flight group best. :naughty: But then I would. lol

Half those women painted are beautiful by today's standards, but wouldn't they be considered anorexic by the time period's standards?

If beautifully horrible can be said then i think that's what they are. His art is amazing but of such horrible subjects sometimes, i'm so glad the worst we have to suffer in some of this world is just name calling, it's awful what people will do to others in ignorance and fear

• 4 months later...

Greetings Spinney, All

Ahh yes this mob - some awesome work in there!

I remember seeing elsewhere a thread on this set of art and there was much scholarly head shaking going on.

Amusingly it was largely due to the fact that it was all such pretty young things in the frame. From this they naturally concluded it was all pretty muck sickening sm fetish.

I in turn could only think that I spotted that all such objection was from women who were (forgive me now) no longer in what would be considered prime and that besides that .... there was no concern for people per se - no just a focus on the alleged fetish of the artist.

From which I concluded that the objection told me more about the objectors than the artists. I wonder what Oscar would have made of that state of affairs? ... Well probably something more witty than I could! lol

Still and all - his technique is really quite lovely and some of his other stuff is really very vibrant in a fairy folk tale vein of vison half remembered.

Lovely stuff if sometimes painful - like all beauty .. or truth for that matter.

Subsisto

Scott

These are beautiful pictures but considering the time it must take to do one, he must have got terribly depressed spending hours on each one, (re: torture ones).... it made me feel sick and depressed looking at them.

However.. some of the others are beautiful.

• 5 months later...

I always feel such confusion on the past. With living in the world today where so many things are accepted to see these things brings tears to my eyes. So many were falsely accused and sentenced to death. Many times just because of how they looked or if another just didn't like them and wanted them to go away. What really gets me is that those who did these killings looked at themselves as being holy and that their way was the only way. Very, Very, disturbing times.