Photo
- - - - -

Runes

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
10 replies to this topic

#1 Mountain Witch

Mountain Witch

Practical b/witch

• Moderators
  • 3,845 posts

Posted 25 August 2008 - 08:07 PM

I am so excited ... I've been working with a purchased set of Runes for several years and although I was "waiting for a tree to gift a branch", something told me it was time to go looking for that branch.

Hubby & I went walking in the woods on Saturday and in the defile that starts a creekbed near our property was an *old* stone - it looked like it had been touched by Man at some point (the shape was NOT natural) and I was told it was part of a building used for some sort of religious ceremonies at the top of our mountain. Based on its age, it has to 'way predate the Cherokee who lived on our mountain prior to the Trail of Tears.

Anyhoo, laying next to that stone on the ground was the perfect size branch of dogwood. Beautiful white wood underneath the outer bark.

Now, my question: does anyone have any ideas about whether to use oil paint, acrylic paint or ink to inscribe the Runes? The oil paint will probably bleed, so probably will the ink, but acrylic is so "man-made". I'm torn on this subject & could use some other opinions.

Thanks!

#2 Guest_Tiger Lady_*

Guest_Tiger Lady_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 August 2008 - 08:13 PM

Since its wood - have you thought about carving or burning in the symbols? Paint would probably work better on stone or glass runes (just me thinking out loud). I'm going to burn my symbols onto the branch when I figure out what I want to use. And then I'm going to blood stain them.

#3 Mountain Witch

Mountain Witch

Practical b/witch

• Moderators
  • 3,845 posts

Posted 25 August 2008 - 09:16 PM

I HAD thought about carving or burning but I'm even more inept with a carving or burning tool than I am with a paintbrush - I tried woodburning years ago and burnt more of myself than the wood. So to be on the safe side, I'd thought of paint. But perhaps I should give it a try again?

#4 Morgana

Morgana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,006 posts

Posted 25 August 2008 - 09:20 PM

I would use a wood burning tool. Practice with it and when you get the feel of it, you should go a good job on the burning.
I bought one awhile back and practiced with it for a few days using the different tips. When I got comfortable with a certain tip, thats the one I use for any type of burning.

Earth as Body become Me
Air as Life breathe through Me
Fire as Spirit consume Me
Water as Blood flow through Me
Spirit as Guide lead Me

#5 Varillon

Varillon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 430 posts

Posted 25 August 2008 - 10:51 PM

Here's an idea. If you have a vice, put the branch in it. Buy one of those extremely cheap soldering irons with a point on it. You aren't out much money if you find you just can't do it, and you aren't as apt to burn yourself if you aren't holding the stick.

On the subject of paint, if you wanted to get real creative, find some berries in the wild, and use something like a q-tip unless you can find a really small paint brush. Part of doing things by hand is not having it perfect. A little bleeding might make you think it doesn't look as good at first, but trust me, I'm a perfectionist, too. Get it in your head that it's hand made. You wouldn't want an artist's painting to look like something out of a machine either. I'd still use the vice with painting. Even though your hand isn't steady, the vice will be. It cuts some of the shaking out of the equation.

#6 Morgana

Morgana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,006 posts

Posted 26 August 2008 - 02:28 AM

Never thought of using a vice. That would be perfect and you can get really small ones cheap. I only paid 15 bucks for my burning tool and it came with 6 different tips. I practiced with some pieces of wood that I later used in the firepit. And yes, I burned myself a couple of times!!
Earth as Body become Me
Air as Life breathe through Me
Fire as Spirit consume Me
Water as Blood flow through Me
Spirit as Guide lead Me

#7 Grymdycche

Grymdycche

Thaumaturge Medicocre

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,495 posts

Posted 26 August 2008 - 03:08 AM

I've started making my own rune set from a branch from my ash tree in my back yard. This is my first, so I've had a lot of times where I wasn't sure how to proceed.

I put the branch in a vice, and used a portable 18v jigsaw to cut it because it has a guide, which enabled me to make exact-width cuts.
Like V, I too suffer from perfectionism, and I was worried that if every rune chip wasn't completely identical, I'd be able to tell them apart at a glance and start "cheating" on my readings, even if only subconsciously.
So, I got that problem licked, but now I'm trying to decide whether to leave the bark on the edges or not, or maybe just give them a light sanding.... yes, I think a light sanding will do.

I bought a wood burner too, but not sure if I wanna burn or carve yet..but probably, I'll try a weird combination of both!

To start, you want to mark the runes with pencil. Then carve or woodburn, and finally, paint, with a drop or three of your blood mixed in.

http://runeforum.phrets.com
9 out of 10 string theory physicists agree: 'Nothing Rests; Everything Moves; Everything Vibrates'' -the Kybalion.

#8 WINDRIVER

WINDRIVER

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 106 posts

Posted 26 August 2008 - 04:33 AM

Hello Mountain witch...

Interesting about that old stone , and how you came to find your peice of wood.

I have nearly finished my first set of rune's , along with a small wood box to keep them in. I had planed to use some crab- aplle branches , but set them aside in faver of some african redwood. The apple wood was of the rong grain , and tended to break to esily. I think it is simply to old to use.
the redwood look's realy nice though , so I am pleased with the choice.

Iwould sudjest red ocher with a drop or two of your blood mixed in. This is what I willbe doing to paint mine , and ocher can be perchised at most of the ocult shop's . I will do this just before I use them for the first time.

I first cut the rune staves out on a small table saw , then took all of the sharp edges off with sandpaper. Then I drew the rune's on each stave with a sharp pencil. Then put the stave in a small vice with a peice of cloth on each side to keep from scufing the wood , and carved the rune on each one. It's not hard if you practice on a peice of extra wood a bit first. I then went back over each carved rune with a wood-burner, again just a bit of practice first on another peice of wood. Ishould mention that I got both the wood carving set and the wood burner for about $17 at wally-world. I'll use some gunstock oil on them after I've colored them.

#9 Startella

Startella

Czarwonica

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,241 posts

Posted 26 August 2008 - 02:12 PM

Hi I use to make runes and what Windriver did is about the same, only you guys with the vise are smart! LOL I too would mark my rune glyphs with a pencil and then use my wood-burner. For myself I used my blood a couple of drops into the paint and then I painted the glyphs. My runes were of a dark wood, but with light colored wood I would check into finding that red orcher then I used linseed oil and also heated beeswax and rubbed it in to seal them with. Just do some practicing with the wood-burner and find a tip that you like and you will do just fine.
“Draco Dormien Nuquam Titillandus”
(Never Tickle A Sleeping Dragon)

#10 Mountain Witch

Mountain Witch

Practical b/witch

• Moderators
  • 3,845 posts

Posted 26 August 2008 - 08:51 PM

I was afraid everyone was going to suggest burning. I'm a klutz so was trying to not do that. However, a small vise may help with the situation and we have a multitude of sizes around here to choose from. (I burned myself the last time I even tried to practice. Will have to dig the woodburning kit out from storage & try again, this time with something else holding the wood besides my fingers.)

I already have red ochre around and had planned on using that with a few drops of my blood mixed in. I'll just try not to burn myself too badly beforehand.

Startella, did you soak the runes in the beeswax a wee bit or just dip them in? That was what I was going to use as a sealing agent.

#11 WINDRIVER

WINDRIVER

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 106 posts

Posted 27 August 2008 - 03:39 AM

Yup , I understand about burning your finger's , I got mine a bit warm a time or two. I don't know why , but I did not use the vice when I burned them as I did when I carved them. Oh well , maybe i'll think about what i'm doing the next time.Posted Image

You don't realy have to burn them if youd rather not , I burned mine mostly because my wood is a deep red in color , so was cocerned that the red ochre may not show up well on them. They are allso a bit smaller than most , about 1\2" x 1 1/2" wich makes the glyph's a bit smallish to. figured if I burned them ,it would make them stand out a little better.

I am trying to scare up a used scanner and printer . so I can post some pics , see if I can make that happen , I'm not very computer savy.