What do you do?

arabi

Thought I'd toss this topic out here to perhaps generate some proactive responses. We all have problems (just like the rest of the world) but as witches it's fair to assume that we handle them different than the average Joe. Surely, we understand the concept of responsibility in a much deeper way? That's my hope anyways.

When you are dealing with life's bumps in the road, family/friend drama, work related stuff, etc. How do you deal with these occurances as a witch? Is your first reaction to vocalize your indignation (ie; whine, bitch, seek advice). Do you only seek advice as a last resort? Do you just get down to brass tacks and handle it? If so, how?

I'll go first.

This month has been a real pain in the posterior, up to and including this morning when I was jolted out of a sound sleep by my calf's cries for help. He was being eaten alive literally by a pack of 10 dogs:mad:. They chewed his ears *off* and he's lucky to be alive. There was a pit bull latched onto his throat. Despite my anger and obvious horror to the gory scene, I had to suck it up and handle the situation, alone as usual (Josh at work). It's not in me to shoot a dog, seriously. I just cant do it. So there I am in my bath robe, hair wild as a banshee, broom in hand; flogging the holy hell out of every dog I could get too...mine included. After treating the calf's injuries,etc I immediately began working my mojo to calm Rodeo, protect him and surrounded him with healing energy. He's resting quietly, doesnt appear to be in pain and is happily munching grass. So, it worked. As for the dogs, it doesnt feel right to punish a dog for being a dog. It is nature and primal instinct that guides them, despite the human insistence that "Rover" is competely domesticated. Humans have a tendancy to forget that nature is the ultimate driving force until the reality of a situation sharply reminds them. I know each and every dog that attacked my calf. They are wonderfully sweet, social and visit our dogs often to go swimming. They have never even looked twice at that calf, our horses or any of the cats. Nature took over and the pack mentality triggered a frenzy. Didnt seem any different than a pack of wolves taking down a fawn. Am I mad, sure. Do I understand it in the grander scheme of things? Absolutely. People should be more responsible with their pets and if that calf would have been killed, I'm not sure how I would have reacted. But, people nowadays dont want to take responsibilty for anything and accept their role in a situation. They want to blame and point fingers. We (witches) are inherently different and IMO more is expected of us. Think about it. Our lives tend to me much more complicated or challenging. Why? Maybe, just maybe, because we have "tools" and "resources" that the rest of the population doesnt even know exist, much less how to use to their advantage? Thoughts?

For now, its dealt with. The calf is completely safe from this happening again (cattle panels are back up), he is on antibiotics and pain meds, and now has a fetch to guard him until he's big enough to take care of himself. Keeping him safe is *my* responsiblity not my neighbors. Dogs will be dogs. Lesson learned.

Edited by arabi

Guest Varillon

I have to commend your spirit. I'm beginning to think that it is non-witches who are more apt to point fingers, shoot the dog, sue the neighbors, etc. In that situation, I would have probably fired a couple of shots in the air, and if that didn't work, one behind them, but like you, I'm not killing an animal for being an animal. It's a bit sad you have to be the one to take responsibility for other people's animals, but then again, you are in a somewhat unique situation. It isn't the city, and that's part of living with fewer rules. If I can ever find some friggin land, I'm going outside of city limits with a very small version of what you have. It's soothing to be among nature and animals you don't find in town. KW finally quit riding me so hard about moving to a city. She said something like "Oh god, you are just like Arabi." LOL Well, at least I keep good company.

As I've grown older, I can't see playing the "game" like everyone else. I don't care about a Mercedes or the million dollar house. It's my witchy side pulling me back to basics. Be comfortable, get what I need, and enjoy life. When I encounter the SOBs life has to offer, give them something to think about, and move on. Other people can be a major drain on me. When I can start working next year, I plan to show everyone what I'm made of in the beginning, so they know what to expect later. No secrets and only necessary manipulation. When the dust settles after a fruitful career, I'll be able to take with me the satisfaction of everyone else knowing I never gave up, and I always held to my word. That may be a southern trait, but I find that a real witch is nothing to laugh at either.

I'm curious; is anyone else an idealist like me?

Love the thread, Arabi. It made me think.

I have to commend your spirit. I'm beginning to think that it is non-witches who are more apt to point fingers, shoot the dog, sue the neighbors, etc.

> I dunno V, I used to think that too but interacting with other witches for many yrs has kind of changed my thoughts on that.

In that situation, I would have probably fired a couple of shots in the air, and if that didn't work, one behind them, but like you, I'm not killing an animal for being an animal.

>

My guns are really high caliber and shooting into the air 10 feet from the house didnt seem the best idea, not to mention the risk of a stray bullet hitting one of the horses.

My question remains though. What do you do magically to handle situations; not necessarily this particular situation, but generally.

It's a bit sad you have to be the one to take responsibility for other people's animals, but then again, you are in a somewhat unique situation. It isn't the city, and that's part of living with fewer rules. If I can ever find some friggin land, I'm going outside of city limits with a very small version of what you have. It's soothing to be among nature and animals you don't find in town. KW finally quit riding me so hard about moving to a city. She said something like "Oh god, you are just like Arabi." LOL Well, at least I keep good company.

>Yes, my situation is a bit out of the norm, I suppose. Here's the rub though. Despite the "quiet" peaceful rural life and enjoying nature etc, its almost too easy to get caught up in butterflies and sunshine (being a rather gloomy sort, I dont seem to have that problem though, LOL!). Nature is equally harsh and cruel. That aspect seems to get glossed over all too often. Have you ever seen a photograph of the ebola virus? It is hauntingly beautiful! The shape is the infinity symbol, how ironic eh? I love the paradox of nature, even its unsavory elements.

As I've grown older, I can't see playing the "game" like everyone else. I don't care about a Mercedes or the million dollar house. It's my witchy side pulling me back to basics. Be comfortable, get what I need, and enjoy life. When I encounter the SOBs life has to offer, give them something to think about, and move on. Other people can be a major drain on me. When I can start working next year, I plan to show everyone what I'm made of in the beginning, so they know what to expect later. No secrets and only necessary manipulation. When the dust settles after a fruitful career, I'll be able to take with me the satisfaction of everyone else knowing I never gave up, and I always held to my word. That may be a southern trait, but I find that a real witch is nothing to laugh at either.

>You're going to do just fine V, of that I'm sure:)

I'm curious; is anyone else an idealist like me?

Love the thread, Arabi. It made me think.

Good! That was the whole point:witchbroom:

I handle problems by getting cross (like anyone else I suppose!) then finding a way to cope with it using whatever I need at the time.

To give an example, a few days ago I was parked in the motorway services getting ready to continue my journey. A car pulled up beside me and the kids opened their door and banged it into my car. I looked across and the father totally ignored me. I walked around and there was a dent and chipped paint. The family got out and walked into the services and totally ignored me!

It was so tempting to do the same back to them, slamming my door into theirs. I sat and thought about it and decided I didn't want to stoop to their level though. So I placed a mild hex on their car that they would have problems on their journey that would cause some inconvenience and annoyance, similar to what I had felt. Tit for tat!

Awww! Poor Rodeo! You were very strong, and did a beautiful job.

As you know, I just went through a VERY difficult period. When I went to the Dr., it turned out that one of my new meds was interacting with an old one. So, it's gone now.

At any rate, I will certainly Witch up and do the right thing. It was a hard lesson.

So, You are right in not punishing the dogs, and putting up the cattle guard. It will help Rodeo get over that trauma. I know that it is said that animals live in the moment. But I bet he feels more secure now. Especially with you adding protection for him.

That said, I think a good bitch session can be telling, and help one get some needed energy. In the meantime, we DO have different resources than other people. We need to not be afraid to use them for serious matters.

Gotta tell you, If it weren't for you mods and Admins bitch-slapping me back to reality, I might have gone too deep.

Thank you.

I handle problems by getting cross (like anyone else I suppose!) then finding a way to cope with it using whatever I need at the time.

To give an example, a few days ago I was parked in the motorway services getting ready to continue my journey. A car pulled up beside me and the kids opened their door and banged it into my car. I looked across and the father totally ignored me. I walked around and there was a dent and chipped paint. The family got out and walked into the services and totally ignored me!

It was so tempting to do the same back to them, slamming my door into theirs. I sat and thought about it and decided I didn't want to stoop to their level though. So I placed a mild hex on their car that they would have problems on their journey that would cause some inconvenience and annoyance, similar to what I had felt. Tit for tat!

Brilliant!!! Love it:applause:.

I'm glad your calf is ok Arabi. I would fire the shots at the dog's owners! A lot of the work I do is along side the SSPCA and it breaks my heart to see the way owners treat their dogs and other animals.

If I have something to deal with, I just get on with it. I think the way I was brought up also has a lot to do with that because my mothers family had few men in it, so the women just had themselves to rely on. I was always told by my grandma that there wasn't any point in whining or moaning, you have to look inside and that's where your answer lies.

That didn't go down well with my husband and although we were married for twent-six years it was never easy. He couldn't accept my ways and although it wasn't the cause of the break-up it played a part.

Its just me and my kids (all adult) now and it works better for me. I'll get help for anything beyond my knowledge (car repairs etc) but otherwise I just get on with it. I always try to look for solutions or work round a situation, I meditate a lot and I am very grounded which I feel helps me with problems.

I think we possibly look at situations differently, with more confidence in our own abilities. People nowadays seem to need an instant fix for everything and when they don't get it, they're stumped!

Awww! Poor Rodeo! You were very strong, and did a beautiful job.

As you know, I just went through a VERY difficult period. When I went to the Dr., it turned out that one of my new meds was interacting with an old one. So, it's gone now.

At any rate, I will certainly Witch up and do the right thing. It was a hard lesson.

So, You are right in not punishing the dogs, and putting up the cattle guard. It will help Rodeo get over that trauma. I know that it is said that animals live in the moment. But I bet he feels more secure now. Especially with you adding protection for him.

That said, I think a good bitch session can be telling, and help one get some needed energy. In the meantime, we DO have different resources than other people. We need to not be afraid to use them for serious matters.

Gotta tell you, If it weren't for you mods and Admins bitch-slapping me back to reality, I might have gone too deep.

Thank you.

Thanks Jan:). There doesnt seem to be a hell of a lot of anything going on in Rodeo's head. Guess that's a good thing. He's more concerned with feeding time, LOL. Bless his heart.

I'm so glad you went to the Dr. and got your meds sorted out!!:hugs:

I am a ruminator, plain and simple. It is very rare for me to take an immediate action, unless absolutely necessary. I guess I am just an optimist in that I always have a strong feeling that things will work themselves out naturally, with just a little nudge here or there.

Of course, that would not have worked in your situation Arabi, and I am so glad that Rodeo is doing well. That is just one of those times that immediate action is called for. It's keeping a level head in that immediate action that is important, and it seems that you did exactly that!

For me, when life's problems arise, I usually mull it over for a good while, deciding if I need to intervene before determining where, when and how.

Of course, I do have my moments where I will let something fly when I'm really angry or upset :evillaugh:

Thought I'd toss this topic out here to perhaps generate some proactive responses. We all have problems (just like the rest of the world) but as witches it's fair to assume that we handle them different than the average Joe. Surely, we understand the concept of responsibility in a much deeper way? That's my hope anyways.

When you are dealing with life's bumps in the road, family/friend drama, work related stuff, etc. How do you deal with these occurances as a witch? Is your first reaction to vocalize your indignation (ie; whine, bitch, seek advice). Do you only seek advice as a last resort? Do you just get down to brass tacks and handle it? If so, how?

I'll go first.

This month has been a real pain in the posterior, up to and including this morning when I was jolted out of a sound sleep by my calf's cries for help. He was being eaten alive literally by a pack of 10 dogs:mad:. They chewed his ears *off* and he's lucky to be alive. There was a pit bull latched onto his throat. Despite my anger and obvious horror to the gory scene, I had to suck it up and handle the situation, alone as usual (Josh at work). It's not in me to shoot a dog, seriously. I just cant do it. So there I am in my bath robe, hair wild as a banshee, broom in hand; flogging the holy hell out of every dog I could get too...mine included. After treating the calf's injuries,etc I immediately began working my mojo to calm Rodeo, protect him and surrounded him with healing energy. He's resting quietly, doesnt appear to be in pain and is happily munching grass. So, it worked. As for the dogs, it doesnt feel right to punish a dog for being a dog. It is nature and primal instinct that guides them, despite the human insistence that "Rover" is competely domesticated. Humans have a tendancy to forget that nature is the ultimate driving force until the reality of a situation sharply reminds them. I know each and every dog that attacked my calf. They are wonderfully sweet, social and visit our dogs often to go swimming. They have never even looked twice at that calf, our horses or any of the cats. Nature took over and the pack mentality triggered a frenzy. Didnt seem any different than a pack of wolves taking down a fawn. Am I mad, sure. Do I understand it in the grander scheme of things? Absolutely. People should be more responsible with their pets and if that calf would have been killed, I'm not sure how I would have reacted. But, people nowadays dont want to take responsibilty for anything and accept their role in a situation. They want to blame and point fingers. We (witches) are inherently different and IMO more is expected of us. Think about it. Our lives tend to me much more complicated or challenging. Why? Maybe, just maybe, because we have "tools" and "resources" that the rest of the population doesnt even know exist, much less how to use to their advantage? Thoughts?

For now, its dealt with. The calf is completely safe from this happening again (cattle panels are back up), he is on antibiotics and pain meds, and now has a fetch to guard him until he's big enough to take care of himself. Keeping him safe is *my* responsiblity not my neighbors. Dogs will be dogs. Lesson learned.

Without going into personal details, the last few months have been hard for me and would have been easily easy for me to crawl in a hole and bitch myself to death.

But in the end that wouldn't have gotten me anywhere.

What I do is what I have been simply doing to get me through.

I take a step back, brood on it in my mind, reviewing everything from every perspective possible, then try to come up with a workable solution (sounds good and easy right? HA!).

No matter what I will always instinctively know that there is a reason for everything (good and/or bad).

So...I learn lessons as I learn to work with new (and sometimes painful) obstacles that arrive in my life...not to mention I appreciate them for what they are...lessons.

It is unfortunate that the dogs are allowed to "pack up" like that. Are they strays? Do you have a fence or is that unrealistic where you are?

What do I do? Depends on the situation. Work I usually use magic.

My son, depends. I came very close to binding him when he was going through his teenager from hell period. I was afraid for his welfare and his life and the hardest thing I had to do was to get a grip, put down my working tools mid-spell and NOT bind him. Yes, binding hiim would have made my life a hell of a lot easier, but I got a very strong wumph that there was a lesson for him here, and I couldn't learn it for him and that if I iinterrupted his path he wouldn't learn it, either. So I let him run his course. He came out alive, thank god, and I think (hope) a stronger person who believes in HIMSELF, not just in his mother's magic. I have in the past done magic for him at his request, but I try not to interfer too much in his path and to only do things if he asks.

My bad habit when I'm upset? I slam an invisible door and speak to no one for weeks, including the people who love me and are not involved in the problem. I go out by myself where no one can find me and read books or become a fly on the wall and watch other people's lives (I'm a closet voyer :-)

Protection I always react with magic.

Love, I will do magic to cross the path of someone who is right for me, but I won't do any magic to influence someone I like if they don't like me back.

Money - I've done magic for it once to get a better job.

Weather magic - I do it during our storm season every year, and have a friend who does it with me.

Arguments with friends and loved ones? I don't do magic for that. I've never really thought about it. If someone is upset with me, we either work it out or don't, but why would I want to make someone talk to me if they don't want to? I'll have to think about that one. I'm fighting with my mum right now (something I NEVER do) and she hasn't spoken to me or emailed me in over a week. It doesn't seem right, though, to do magic to make her talk to me or do something she doesn't want to do just becuse I'm hurt.

I'm glad your calf is ok Arabi. I would fire the shots at the dog's owners! A lot of the work I do is along side the SSPCA and it breaks my heart to see the way owners treat their dogs and other animals.

>I know what you mean, it just makes my blood boil. My personality is not suited to dealing with people like that...I'd be in jail (not good).

If I have something to deal with, I just get on with it. I think the way I was brought up also has a lot to do with that because my mothers family had few men in it, so the women just had themselves to rely on. I was always told by my grandma that there wasn't any point in whining or moaning, you have to look inside and that's where your answer lies.

That didn't go down well with my husband and although we were married for twent-six years it was never easy. He couldn't accept my ways and although it wasn't the cause of the break-up it played a part.

Its just me and my kids (all adult) now and it works better for me. I'll get help for anything beyond my knowledge (car repairs etc) but otherwise I just get on with it. I always try to look for solutions or work round a situation, I meditate a lot and I am very grounded which I feel helps me with problems.

I think we possibly look at situations differently, with more confidence in our own abilities. People nowadays seem to need an instant fix for everything and when they don't get it, they're stumped!

>Absolutely agree! Thanks for your input:)

I take a step back, brood on it in my mind, reviewing everything from every perspective possible, then try to come up with a workable solution (sounds good and easy right? HA!).

>Its always sounds easy, LOL. I think we (witches) tend to rely more on our instincts to guide us though.

No matter what I will always instinctively know that there is a reason for everything (good and/or bad).

So...I learn lessons as I learn to work with new (and sometimes painful) obstacles that arrive in my life...not to mention I appreciate them for what they are...lessons.

Yes, yes, yes. Seeing things for what they are, lessons. Reads easy doesnt it? Sometimes its a bitch to "get it" in real life though. ;)

It is unfortunate that the dogs are allowed to "pack up" like that. Are they strays? Do you have a fence or is that unrealistic where you are?

>No, they arent strays. Just some of the rural farm dogs that like to hang out together. Like I said, normally they just all play and go swimming and are no trouble at all. The calf is in a fenced area with horse panels so I just just went back over it with cattle fence. I had taken the cattle fence down to give him more room to graze. We almost put him out in the horse pasture yesterday, thinking on it now he may have been safer. My horses are brutal to dogs.

What do I do? Depends on the situation. Work I usually use magic.

My son, depends. I came very close to binding him when he was going through his teenager from hell period. I was afraid for his welfare and his life and the hardest thing I had to do was to get a grip, put down my working tools mid-spell and NOT bind him. Yes, binding hiim would have made my life a hell of a lot easier, but I got a very strong wumph that there was a lesson for him here, and I couldn't learn it for him and that if I iinterrupted his path he wouldn't learn it, either. So I let him run his course. He came out alive, thank god, and I think (hope) a stronger person who believes in HIMSELF, not just in his mother's magic. I have in the past done magic for him at his request, but I try not to interfer too much in his path and to only do things if he asks.

My bad habit when I'm upset? I slam an invisible door and speak to no one for weeks, including the people who love me and are not involved in the problem. I go out by myself where no one can find me and read books or become a fly on the wall and watch other people's lives (I'm a closet voyer :-)

Protection I always react with magic.

Love, I will do magic to cross the path of someone who is right for me, but I won't do any magic to influence someone I like if they don't like me back.

Money - I've done magic for it once to get a better job.

Weather magic - I do it during our storm season every year, and have a friend who does it with me.

Arguments with friends and loved ones? I don't do magic for that. I've never really thought about it. If someone is upset with me, we either work it out or don't, but why would I want to make someone talk to me if they don't want to? I'll have to think about that one. I'm fighting with my mum right now (something I NEVER do) and she hasn't spoken to me or emailed me in over a week. It doesn't seem right, though, to do magic to make her talk to me or do something she doesn't want to do just becuse I'm hurt.

I think you bring up some really valid points, like with your son. Sure it would have made your life easier but what would he learn? Nothing. Which I think brings us back to instincts, knowing and trusting what is inside of us to act or *not* react in a given situation. IMO, that is something that you just cant teach someone or find in a book. That's why its so important to know thyself, dont you think?

I hear of people doing all sorts of silly things over petty nonsense; not on this forum (like bickering/arguing). Just so they can be "right" or validate themselves. Reeks of insecurity to me. Truth is, they are equally vested in the argument and should rather focus on their role as opposed to changing someone elses (I dont mean your situation with your mom at all hon!).

I was just using the friend or co-worker thing as an example.;)

Nicely handled, Arabi. I think you're in a minority (not among witches, but common folk) in the understanding way you managed that.

Me - I tend to get extremely angry, as I have next to no patience anymore - life has just worn it out on me. I used to also believe it's better to vent than bottle it up. However, I tend to take things out on myself or inanimate objects when I really need to face down external perpetrators (people!) more often. Then on top of it, like a typical cancerian, I get real broody, thought's of hopelessness and doom'n'gloom, even suicide (sometimes), yadda yadda, the whole ugly 9 yards.

But now and then I stand up for myself and give 'em shit,and I've found that actually sometimes works.

I've had situations in customer service (years ago) where I came right back with the same argumentative attitude to say, a bitchy customer, (only more logical since being the tech, I actually know what the hell I'm talking about), and just when you'd think things would escalate, I'd get through to them; or they just didn't expect to meet resistance. Rather than get the passive "yes ma'am treatment, yes, yes", they'd get a firm lesson instead and made to see the error of their ways - as soon as I saw that lightbulb in their head switch on, I'd back off.. then, they tend to quiet down; then from there, I soften up too and next thing you know, we've both calmed down, diplomacy wins the day, we each have a chuckle and we'd reach a happy agreement. Hmm.. over all, maybe I have better social skills than I often give myself credit for. :thinking:

To date though, I haven't done any magic on anyone other than myself. That will probably change in the near future, I just hope I don't get carried away with it, and that's probably why I haven't done it, I'm just a little afraid of relying on it too much.

>Nature is equally harsh and cruel. That aspect seems to get glossed over all too often. Have you ever seen a photograph of the ebola virus? It is hauntingly beautiful! The shape is the infinity symbol, how ironic eh? I love the paradox of nature, even its unsavory elements.<

I would have to disagree with you there Arabi, IMO Nature is nether harsh nor cruel, it just is. Their is beauty in death, it's hard to see and even harder to deal with. The Ebolavirus is just doing it's thing, we label it as bad. Well that's what I think anyway.

I will bitch, whine, and moan to my close friends on occasion, but usually, when it's about ME personally, I tend to brood and over-analyze to the point that I overwhelm myself. Then, I get my shit together and do what's gotta be done. I will do witchy things, ritualistic things, as that is very calming to me.

When people fuck with me, well... that's another story. Usually I'm very laid back and nice, and I do hate conflict. However, if someone is underhanded, or just maliciously does something to me, I am VERY vengeful initially - and I lose my temper rather quickly and spectacularly. I do cool down just as quickly, however... and as I've gotten older I've learned to keep myself in check and NOT beat the piss out of someone, or to shred them with words, which I tend to be very good at doing. After my initial outrage, either I forgive and move on, or if it's needed, I go into my "quiet" rage - and I'll just leave it at that. :chomp:

I think we've all been going through a lot recently. I'm not sure what it is, but lately the world seems to be in a total funk. I find that I am ready to run again, move, head out to a different place, and I've learned over the years to recognize that gypsy part of me as a sign that I need to slow down and figure out what's going on, instead of hauling ass.

As to you and those dogs, Arabi - I'd have reacted in pretty much the same way. Do what's gotta be done, ruminate after the fact. As to the dogs - well, they will be dogs, after all... and if they're frequent visitors to the property and are usually friendly, I'd have a hard time shooting them as well. Dogs DO pack up. Poor Rodeo.

>Nature is equally harsh and cruel. That aspect seems to get glossed over all too often. Have you ever seen a photograph of the ebola virus? It is hauntingly beautiful! The shape is the infinity symbol, how ironic eh? I love the paradox of nature, even its unsavory elements.<

I would have to disagree with you there Arabi, IMO Nature is nether harsh nor cruel, it just is. Their is beauty in death, it's hard to see and even harder to deal with. The Ebolavirus is just doing it's thing, we label it as bad. Well that's what I think anyway.

Guess I didnt spit that out quite right, LOL. What I meant was most people's *perception* of nature. I competely agree, nature just *is*.;)

Something Varrillon has said rang a bell with me. He commented on not ?playing the game,? and not wanting the million dollar house and the things this society oft expects us to want.

In several other heated threads on this sight it has been mentioned that traditionals tend to be ?loners.?

Lately I have been dealing with what seemed like several separate problems, but now I see they are related issues and wonder if it?s some sort of (what I would call test) or change, or movement.

I have lost a friend who constantly gets on my case for not ?bettering? myself and for choosing to live in a mobile home when I could work 2 jobs and live in a cinderblock apartment. She considers me ?less? because I have not gone to school at night to better myself, but have indulged myself in my own selfish, complacent, escapist pursuits.

My mother has recently brought this up also, and has ?told? me to do something specific in my son?s life that goes against everything I think he needs; however, it is what most of society would do.

Am I complacent? Or am I answering to a different call? Do I choose to look at things the way I do to justify my ?laziness? when millions of Americans work two jobs, or do I choose to live how I do because my writing and my spiritualism is more important to me than cinderblock?

Is it time for me to ?grow up,? or time to me to have enough faith in myself to live outside of societal norms, including my mothers? Do I have to lose these people to be who I am? Is it possible to be a witch and still live closely with those who aren?t?

I don't think you're complacent at all, and actually, it takes most people MANY years to get to the point where you currently reside.

A lot of folks spend a lot of time working their asses off for a title (i.e. work) that will allow them to "move up" in the world (big house, big car, etc), only to find out later on that they aren't happy at all, and then they downsize and let go of the materialistic aspect of themselves so they can concentrate on just being.

Sounds like you're there. Stay where you are, and go only where it makes you feel good. Why should you do anything else?

Guest Varillon
Something Varrillon has said rang a bell with me. He commented on not ?playing the game,? and not wanting the million dollar house and the things this society oft expects us to want.

In several other heated threads on this sight it has been mentioned that traditionals tend to be ?loners.?

Lately I have been dealing with what seemed like several separate problems, but now I see they are related issues and wonder if it?s some sort of (what I would call test) or change, or movement.

I have lost a friend who constantly gets on my case for not ?bettering? myself and for choosing to live in a mobile home when I could work 2 jobs and live in a cinderblock apartment. She considers me ?less? because I have not gone to school at night to better myself, but have indulged myself in my own selfish, complacent, escapist pursuits.

My mother has recently brought this up also, and has ?told? me to do something specific in my son?s life that goes against everything I think he needs; however, it is what most of society would do.

Am I complacent? Or am I answering to a different call? Do I choose to look at things the way I do to justify my ?laziness? when millions of Americans work two jobs, or do I choose to live how I do because my writing and my spiritualism is more important to me than cinderblock?

Is it time for me to ?grow up,? or time to me to have enough faith in myself to live outside of societal norms, including my mothers? Do I have to lose these people to be who I am? Is it possible to be a witch and still live closely with those who aren?t?

We are in the same boat. And I'll admit, I can do extravagant on occasion, but how I do it is my way. For instance, I installed a little chrome on my truck instead of buying a brand new 40k model that would take 5 years to pay off.

I've had recent bouts with my own independence and how to handle the future. I have to do what's right for me. Sure, you have to play the system every once in a while, but I only do it on my terms. My morals aren't subject to change because some local likes playing politician. It's funny, I've noticed how people smile to increase their likability. Then there's a set few who never smile, at least not in public. Those are the ones who never get taken advantage of. They are always even tempered, friendly but all business, and live the way they choose. I don't know how I've adopted that, but it is definitely in me.

Back to Arabi's question, I'm the type to simply ponder something until I have the answer. If there is no answer, I may turn to my cards or give it just a little time. I have a bad habit of not thinking about anything else once a problem enters my mind. It will stay there until resolution. Now that I've gotten a little more experience with spirits, I might call on them, but it feels defeating in a way. Like I couldn't do it myself which is where I get a lot of satisfaction. If it's something I know I can't do, I'll write it off in a heartbeat, but something that's within my grasp has to come from me. I'm hard headed.

I have a bad habit of not thinking about anything else once a problem enters my mind. It will stay there until resolution.

I do the same thing. My DH has accused me of being obsessed in the past and I've explained to him it's just the way I process and to quit being a pain in my ass. lol.

When something nags me that much, I'll talk it out with him and at some point in the discussion will find my answer -- sometimes from his wisdom, sometimes from just letting it loose, and the direction I need to go will become clear.

I have no problem taking action. I'm not the type to sit on my hands and look for a shiny knight to come save me. (Although DH does play the role when needed, whether I want it or not -- :heart:.) But I won't fall to magic when the usual channels will work just fine. It seems a waste of my energy to spend it on penny candy, so to speak.

Guest Tiger Lady

Wow Arabi! I'm so glad you were able to save your calf. I would have done the same - picked up the nearest tool and started swinging. Recently, I tried to explain why a dog is a dog to my niece who was upset when she found out Rosie, the beagle, had killed one of Granny's chickens. Nature is nature and a deer is a deer. I'm trying not to be too upset about the fact that my garden was raided 2 nights ago and I will have no peppers to freeze for this winter *returns to happy place and chants*.

I'm a loner. As depressing as that sounds - I feel its one of my better virtues. I like to keep to myself. I don't want to burden others with my problems and when I finally get up to wanting to burden others - I find I don't have the energy to do it. I literally feel to tired to talk. And so, I keep it too myself. I'm happiest sitting for hours talking a feral kitten out of the woods than I am to work with the public. Its amazing that I can have the patience for such a tedious task as taming a wild kitten but I can't work with the public without wanting to go ballastic. The only problem that I have seen with keeping to myself is that I tend to lose friends. They don't understand that there are weeks that I turn completely into myself and don't want to talk to anyone. I tend to my gardens, my children, and my meditations but that's about it.

When faced with a serious problem - Aaron is the only one I will confide in. He's the only one I let bath me when I was incapacitated last winter. The only one I let feed me. I didn't want anyone else to see me like that. But had I been able to do all those things myself - I would have not needed him. I fancy myself a strong woman who will work out all her problems herself - be it threw my fists or my magical workings. :)

Once again - Arabi, I'm so glad your calf is okay.