Photo
- - - - -

Runes

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
67 replies to this topic

#41 Loona Wynd

Loona Wynd

Shamanic seeker

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 412 posts

Posted 29 April 2008 - 01:46 PM

I'm making a set of runes from sea shells I collected on my walk on the beach this past Friday. I thought about wood and stone, but neither really spoke to me. Shells on the other hand have. Most of the important events in my life (even if they weren't always positive) have happened on the ocean, so the sea is important to me. Not sure which rune set I'm going to use though (by that I mean elder or younger Futhark) but I still have a bit of time to decide that.

I've heard from Asturu that when you work with runes you should bind them to you with your own blood. Has any one else heard of this or used this practice? Its something I am probably going to do myself, but as I said I still have decide on the actual system of runes to use and make.

#42 Guest_Rebie_*

Guest_Rebie_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 April 2008 - 06:42 PM

I'm making a set of runes from sea shells I collected on my walk on the beach this past Friday. I thought about wood and stone, but neither really spoke to me. Shells on the other hand have. Most of the important events in my life (even if they weren't always positive) have happened on the ocean, so the sea is important to me. Not sure which rune set I'm going to use though (by that I mean elder or younger Futhark) but I still have a bit of time to decide that.

I've heard from Asturu that when you work with runes you should bind them to you with your own blood. Has any one else heard of this or used this practice? Its something I am probably going to do myself, but as I said I still have decide on the actual system of runes to use and make.

I have heard of using blood with ones runes to bind them to the person. Personally I have not done this. Mine work fine for me. But maybe if I did do this they would work even better. let me know if you do it and how it works out for you.
Rebie

#43 Ancestral Celt

Ancestral Celt

Hermit

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,162 posts

Posted 29 April 2008 - 08:05 PM

... when you work with runes you should bind them to you with your own blood. Has any one else heard of this or used this practice?

Yes.

#44 Thistle

Thistle

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 187 posts

Posted 30 April 2008 - 11:36 AM

I think I heard something about carving the runes out in whatever material you use and then filling the carvings in with your blood.That makes them more powerful. Is that what you mean with binding them to you?

#45 Loona Wynd

Loona Wynd

Shamanic seeker

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 412 posts

Posted 30 April 2008 - 01:34 PM

I think I heard something about carving the runes out in whatever material you use and then filling the carvings in with your blood.That makes them more powerful. Is that what you mean with binding them to you?

I'll have to do more research on the topic, but I think it's a way of connecting them to you on a more personal and powerful level.

#46 WINDRIVER

WINDRIVER

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 114 posts

Posted 02 May 2008 - 07:49 AM

Helo Loonawynd...

Yes, many use they'r blood to get a stronger conection with the runes.

Just a drop or two mixed with red ocher or what ever you decide to use to coler them with should do fine

#47 Guest_Tiger Lady_*

Guest_Tiger Lady_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 May 2008 - 03:25 AM

Thistle - I'm not sure how you feel about this but since your a woman you have blood at your disposal once a month. I will be using blood when I make mine, which needs to be soon because I've got the branch and bean sprite told me how to cut it. I just need to do it.

To use mentrual blood you have to be comfortable with yourself to do it. I kind of think that since it is such an intimate part of our being - that being a woman - it would make a very powerful addition to the runes.

#48 Startella

Startella

Czarwonica

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,265 posts

Posted 05 May 2008 - 01:55 PM

There is a welsh set called the Coelbren- some are saying that they are not authentic but I don't give a rat's arse- as long as I am comfortable with them!

Hi Worstmistress..

Would you be willing to share this style of Runes the Coelbren ? I am always looking for different styles of runes.

#49 Loona Wynd

Loona Wynd

Shamanic seeker

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 412 posts

Posted 05 May 2008 - 03:10 PM

Helo Loonawynd...

Yes, many use they'r blood to get a stronger conection with the runes.

Just a drop or two mixed with red ocher or what ever you decide to use to coler them with should do fine

Cool. I have some pins that I'm going to use to get some blood for when I paint my runes.

#50 Grymdycche

Grymdycche

Thaumaturge Medicocre

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,480 posts

Posted 11 May 2008 - 03:10 AM

I love the runes -they never cease to amaze me.
My current set is one that came with a small book; one of those bargain deals at Barnes and Nobles. The book was lousy, but the runes are actually pretty nice - black, made of a polymer clay I think.
I want to make my own though, and from wood, the traditional material. I have a huge Ash tree in my back yard, so I'm lucky there, though I'm fond of Oak too, if I can find a suitable windfallen branch.
I'm partial to the Elder Futhark. Anyone use the Anglo Saxon set, or even the Younger Futhark? Do you prefer a different set for a specific reason or is it just what you fell into first?

http://runeforum.phrets.com
9 out of 10 string theory physicists agree: 'Nothing Rests; Everything Moves; Everything Vibrates'' -the Kybalion.

#51 Scott

Scott

Irritatingly Thoughtful

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 788 posts

Posted 11 May 2008 - 11:53 PM

Greetings G

I have found, (in my investgations into the different fors of the Runes) that using the different forms is like hearing the same language being spoken with different accents and by different ages of people with differing vocab abilities.

This is of course especially the case if we consider that language to have different modes such as formal, business, slang etc.

In some cases it is like recieving a very concise reprt being given so as to make clear the situation to hand and in others like hearing a teenager with limited vocab talking in "New Speak" and peppering every observation with "like" etc ... I imagine that the one that sounds best would be quite indicative of the spirit of the listener so I will keep my mouth shut on that score! lol

Fraternally

Scott

New Me! Now with added incomprehensibilityfullness for your convenience!

#52 Startella

Startella

Czarwonica

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,265 posts

Posted 13 May 2008 - 10:15 AM

I love the runes -they never cease to amaze me.

I'm partial to the Elder Futhark. Anyone use the Anglo Saxon set, or even the Younger Futhark? Do you prefer a different set for a specific reason or is it just what you fell into first?

Thats my feelings about the runes. Myself I am partial to a set called Njord runes - I know that their not authentic, but they work great for me. I made my set from a peice of ebony that a co-worker gave me for making his wife a wand from purpleheart wood with an amethest crystal. I also made a set of Elder Futhark runes from Paduck. I use to make wooden pen sets with fancy woods, some of my pagan friends saw them and asked if I could make rune sets too. I sold quite a few of them. I just love working with wood. (If I can find my cord I'll upload a couple of pictures of them)

#53 Guest_Tiger Lady_*

Guest_Tiger Lady_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 May 2008 - 01:37 AM

I started working on mine tonight. I cut a dogwood branch. There is something about the dogwood I just like. I'm going to use the Anglo Saxon version just because of the ancestrial link.

#54 Startella

Startella

Czarwonica

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,265 posts

Posted 14 May 2008 - 06:05 PM

My runes, the first one is ebony my Njord set, and the other one is paduck which is a rich orange in color and the Elder Furthark set. I do most my readings for others with the Elder set. Since these two sets are mine, I added my blood to the gold paint for the glyphs.

Attached Files

#55 Guest_Tiger Lady_*

Guest_Tiger Lady_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 May 2008 - 07:08 PM

Those are very pretty Startella. Thanks for showing them to us.

#56 Guest_K8tdydBel_*

Guest_K8tdydBel_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 June 2008 - 08:59 PM

[quote=... I actually use the Northumbrian 33 rune row, and have sussed out my own meanings for the ones nobody seems to know a lot about (cweorth and calc).]

I'm interested in those Northumbrian 33 runes. My family is from Northumberland. I'm a Percy. My ancestor Henry Percy came to the Americas in the early/mid 1600's. Through the years our name was changed to Piercy. Mainly due to census takers misspelling our name, I suspect.
A constant family name handed down from generation to generation is Sherwood. I love that name. My brother named his youngest Sherwood. A Henry Percy became the first Earl of Northumberland in 1377.

I haven't used runes in divination, but I've been contemplating doing so for a while.

#57 Guest_Tiger Lady_*

Guest_Tiger Lady_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 June 2008 - 10:30 PM

Well... I had to scrap my first attempt at making runes. I cut a piece of dogwood because I've always been attracted to dogwood. The tree obviously did not want to give up the limb. I cut a small branch and had a horrible time getting it to cut. I should have realized it at this point that I needed to pick something else. I then dried it for a good amount of time, about 3 months - a bit excessive but time isn't always there. When I went to cut it with a hand saw it went 3/4 of the way through the branch when I couldn't, no matter what I did, cut the rest of the 1/4. It was ridiculous. Another sign - bad mojo. So, I thought I'd try the miter box saw. No... that was a horrible experience. I loved the way the rune chips looked. Absolutely beautiful with a dark outside and a very light, almost white, inside. And dogwood just smells pretty. But I was having difficulties cutting this 1" diameter piece of wood and after I cut about 12 chips - I got to a point when the saw cut through the wood and the wood jumped in my hand and it hurt. My hand was panging and I looked down and the wood split all the way down the rest of the stick. I realized that there was no way that I could use this dogwood and I grabbed all the chips and the stick and took it down to my burn pile and burned it. I still want to make my runes - I'll just have to pick another tree.

#58 Guest_K8tdydBel_*

Guest_K8tdydBel_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 June 2008 - 06:26 PM

Oh man Tiger Lady. Sounds like you had quite a time there. I'm from Cali, and so I'm partial to oaks, redwoods, and palms. I don't have the way or the means to make my own runes now. Someday I will.

#59 Guest_Tiger Lady_*

Guest_Tiger Lady_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 June 2008 - 07:29 PM

I'm not sure what to use now. I kind of had my heart set on the dogwood. I do have red and white oaks in my woods, as well as, cherry, buckeye, maple, poplars, quaking aspens, and a few others. I guess I just need to take a stroll through the trees.

#60 Grymdycche

Grymdycche

Thaumaturge Medicocre

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,480 posts

Posted 23 June 2008 - 07:54 PM

I had fun cutting through my Ash tree. :rolleyes: That's one tough wood!
I've got a nice 14" section cut , now I just have to make the slices.
I think I'll pass on the hand saw for that and use a power tool instead! ;)

The thing I'm really worried about is making each chip as physically identical as the next. I don't want to be able to know which rune is which by shape, size, or thickness; I'm afraid I'd start to "cheat" in my readings, even if only subconsciously.
Also, yours look beautiful Startella - did you leave the bark on the outside or trim that off?

http://runeforum.phrets.com
9 out of 10 string theory physicists agree: 'Nothing Rests; Everything Moves; Everything Vibrates'' -the Kybalion.