Photo
- - - - -

Runes

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
67 replies to this topic

#21 Holly

Holly

Thaumatourgos

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 492 posts

Posted 07 November 2007 - 10:27 PM

I have never used runes, but that's only because I don't keep a lot of official tools. I have long been interested in runes for spellwork, like what Alicia was talking about. I know I would fail horribly at divination.

#22 Guest_Rebie_*

Guest_Rebie_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 November 2007 - 01:42 AM

I have a set of runes made of clay. I use them in magic only.
For divination I prefer my gypsy runes made of river stones. I just connect with them better. I only use them for quick simple answers.
Rebie

#23 Ancestral Celt

Ancestral Celt

Hermit

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,162 posts

Posted 27 December 2007 - 08:44 PM

If you are interested in runes and divination, this site may be of use: Runes, Alphabet of Mystery.

#24 Sara

Sara

Questioner of all things!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 521 posts

Posted 27 December 2007 - 09:07 PM

Thank you for the site!
"Never discourage anyone...who continually makes progress, no matter how slow." - Plato

"We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light." - Plato

"Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle." - Plato

"Only the dead have seen the end of war." - Plato

#25 Amargith

Amargith

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 64 posts

Posted 06 January 2008 - 02:55 PM

Hey that is jordsvin's site! I am/was a member of some of his yahoogroups. He is a pretty good source on this :) He also had a lot of articles on seidr, the shamanic magic practiced by the norse people
"When Mother Nature strikes back, I'd rather be on her side..."

www.katje.net
www.naturesjewels.be

#26 Morgana

Morgana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,972 posts

Posted 06 February 2008 - 02:26 AM

I use runes and love them. I really suck at tarot, to much to remember? I just know that I suck at them. I listed a book that I just got that has actually opened a whole new perspective on them. When I bought mine, they just came with a piece of paper with the meanings of each symbol. This book has a more complete meaning for each symbol. Now I really, really love my runes.

Personally I don't think it matters what kind you get. I bought garnet because its my birthstone. I have been thinking of making my own this summer out of wood and burning the symbols in. But then I look at the ones I have, that are well worn over the years and just don't know if I could replace them.

:laugh1:

Earth as Body become Me
Air as Life breathe through Me
Fire as Spirit consume Me
Water as Blood flow through Me
Spirit as Guide lead Me

#27 Ancestral Celt

Ancestral Celt

Hermit

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,162 posts

Posted 06 February 2008 - 08:39 PM

For anyone unsure of the pronunciations, I hear that this site is good: The Elder Futhark, because someone has taken the time to make a sound recording of each rune. :present::thumbsup:

#28 Morgana

Morgana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,972 posts

Posted 06 February 2008 - 10:48 PM

Cool site. Marked it as a favorite. :thanks:
Earth as Body become Me
Spirit as Guide lead Me

#29 SapphireMoon

SapphireMoon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 831 posts

Posted 11 February 2008 - 08:11 PM

I was given a set of runes by a neighbor where I just moved from, when I moved into my last home.

I mainly use the runes in spellwork. I use them for protection of my sons & me & our home. I also used them to help a courtcase.

SapphireMoon

#30 WINDRIVER

WINDRIVER

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 114 posts

Posted 19 February 2008 - 07:04 AM

Yes , making your own does add an extra somthing. I am curently making my first set , they are of some type of wild apple , not sure what kind as yet . I grabed up some small windfall limbs a few days ago while on a short walk. As I have read , the wood of a fruit or nut bearing tree is a good choice , as discribed in the norse sagas.

#31 Sara

Sara

Questioner of all things!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 521 posts

Posted 25 February 2008 - 03:25 PM

For anyone unsure of the pronunciations, I hear that this site is good: The Elder Futhark, because someone has taken the time to make a sound recording of each rune. :present::thumbsup:

Thank you so much!!!

"Never discourage anyone...who continually makes progress, no matter how slow." - Plato

"We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light." - Plato

"Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle." - Plato

"Only the dead have seen the end of war." - Plato

#32 Startella

Startella

Czarwonica

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,265 posts

Posted 23 March 2008 - 03:17 AM

I made my runes years ago out of wood, and I love them and it does add something I believe, although I did not use fruit or nut tree. I will be making a new set soon, there is a development coming in and will take down my favorite cherry and apple trees which I plan on getting some limbs before they are gone. I use mine mainly for spells and sometimes divination.

Startella

#33 WINDRIVER

WINDRIVER

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 114 posts

Posted 23 March 2008 - 05:26 AM

Hello Startella...

sad to here they are taking those tree's down , but since they are , do take advantige and snach some up for latter use! If you use the runes much at all , it will surely come in handy to do so.

#34 Startella

Startella

Czarwonica

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,265 posts

Posted 23 March 2008 - 01:37 PM

Hello Startella...

sad to here they are taking those tree's down , but since they are , do take advantige and snach some up for latter use! If you use the runes much at all , it will surely come in handy to do so.

Oh yes it is sad. It's also sad to see and here a 40 some old women wailing over the trees and what they did to the land. They already took down half of the orchard, and I have fought them tooth and nail along the way, and a few spells too. But this spring they will be getting into the trees right by the house area where I used to play as a child. They should have about 60 houses built and working on the condo, but only have 21 so far - people don't want to build <grin>. I walk the area alot still. Drainage is still very bad, and the street lights don't work very well. (the only place we have street lights in the whole area, dumb ass people move to the country and are afraid of the dark. I know the trees are very old but still the tree spirits are there. I will be looking for limbs for walking staffs and other things besides runes, to house the spirits if they wish.

Startella

#35 Morgana

Morgana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,972 posts

Posted 25 April 2008 - 12:10 AM

I have ordered thru a friend that makes Runes, a new set. My original ones, which I get excellant readings off of, are cracking and chipping (their garnet). We went and selected the stones from all over the area and she going to polish them and do her thing. In return, I am making her a walking staff. She selected it while on one of our walks. I am so excited about the new runes and she's excited about her staff.
Earth as Body become Me
Spirit as Guide lead Me

#36 Leigh

Leigh

Lover, Dreamer, Me

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,560 posts

Posted 25 April 2008 - 05:49 PM

I have ordered thru a friend that makes Runes, a new set. My original ones, which I get excellant readings off of, are cracking and chipping (their garnet). We went and selected the stones from all over the area and she going to polish them and do her thing. In return, I am making her a walking staff. She selected it while on one of our walks. I am so excited about the new runes and she's excited about her staff.

I love the barter system.

#37 Guest_Tiger Lady_*

Guest_Tiger Lady_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 April 2008 - 12:04 AM

I love my oracle and my pendulum. Absolutely love them. So I did look into runes and I decided I wanted to make them myself. I cut a dogwood branch because I feel connected to the dogwood tree. the only problem is I can' figure out how to cut the branch without cutting off my fingers. I did want to start soon.

#38 Guest_Bean Sprite_*

Guest_Bean Sprite_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 April 2008 - 09:52 PM

OMG! Hey Tig! I'm so glad your here.
Try cutting the branch of with a hand saw, then use a circular saw to cut the branch into disks.
This is how I did the witches runes.

#39 Guest_Tiger Lady_*

Guest_Tiger Lady_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 April 2008 - 05:02 PM

OMG! Hey Tig! I'm so glad your here.
Try cutting the branch of with a hand saw, then use a circular saw to cut the branch into disks.
This is how I did the witches runes.

Okay that sounds simple enough. Next I need to get a new wood burning tool. My last one died.

#40 Thistle

Thistle

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 187 posts

Posted 27 April 2008 - 05:40 PM

I got a set of runes made from quartz for my birthday and even though I was planning on makin my own set I find that I really connect with them. So now I'm reading about the elder futhark and drawing a rune every day. It's fun. I think I like the runes more than my rune vision cards and the tarot!!