Photo
- - - - -

Runes

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
67 replies to this topic

#1 Marshy

Marshy

Eternal Seeker

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 727 posts

Posted 10 January 2007 - 11:28 AM

I have recently been spending a bit of time researching Anglo-Saxon history and mythology and wondered if anyone else has any views on the subject; particularly runes, am considering maybe getting a set but would like to sound the subject out a bit more if anyone has anything to pass on.:confused:
Hal wes u, folde, fira modor ! Marshy :flyaway:

#2 Scott

Scott

Irritatingly Thoughtful

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 788 posts

Posted 10 January 2007 - 12:19 PM

Hey Marshy

Yeah I have somme stuff here ... ummm just got PC back from shop so give me a day or so and I'll sling some info in ...

Just gotta track it down ... mah shtuffs all over the shop right now! lol

Fraternally

Scott

New Me! Now with added incomprehensibilityfullness for your convenience!

#3 Marshy

Marshy

Eternal Seeker

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 727 posts

Posted 10 January 2007 - 01:47 PM

Thanks Scott will look forward to that.:)

#4 AnjelWolf

AnjelWolf

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8,727 posts

Posted 10 January 2007 - 02:39 PM

Hi Marshy...I use the runes for a quick reading and sometimes in spells...but not that "connected" to them

#5 Guest_wortmistress_*

Guest_wortmistress_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 January 2007 - 06:19 PM

There is a welsh set called the Coelbren- some are saying that they are not authentic but I don't give a rat's arse- as long as I am comfortable with them!

#6 Storm

Storm

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 609 posts

Posted 11 January 2007 - 12:32 AM

you can even make your own set, that would make them more personal to you.
If you don't live for something, you die for nothing

#7 Guest_wortmistress_*

Guest_wortmistress_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 January 2007 - 12:49 PM

I do that already! I'm very much old- school- I make nearly everything I use- tools, divination mediums, wine....!

#8 AnjelWolf

AnjelWolf

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8,727 posts

Posted 11 January 2007 - 03:15 PM

Wow WM I'm impressed...but not surprised LOL!

#9 Storm

Storm

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 609 posts

Posted 11 January 2007 - 11:19 PM

i make my way to the magic shop lol. or make stuff that i really want.
If you don't live for something, you die for nothing

#10 AnjelWolf

AnjelWolf

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8,727 posts

Posted 12 January 2007 - 12:17 AM

Yeah I think it's pretty safe to say that the group of us regs on this forum pretty much make their own magickal stuff...which is really good.

#11 Bethra

Bethra

• Inactive
  • PipPipPip
  • 73 posts

Posted 12 January 2007 - 02:12 PM

Marshy I have a set I made out of air drying clay, they are in a little black box with gold design on them. If you would like them I would be willing to post them to you. :D

:yingyang: Id quot circumiret, circumveniat. :yingyang:

#12 Marshy

Marshy

Eternal Seeker

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 727 posts

Posted 12 January 2007 - 02:16 PM

Thank you all for your help and Bethra yes please I will catch you on YM:hugs:

#13 Anglian Queen

Anglian Queen

• Inactive
  • PipPipPip
  • 48 posts

Posted 30 May 2007 - 09:38 PM

I have recently been spending a bit of time researching Anglo-Saxon history and mythology and wondered if anyone else has any views on the subject; particularly runes, am considering maybe getting a set but would like to sound the subject out a bit more if anyone has anything to pass on.:confused:

I''m a fan of AS runes and have my own set i made from yew wood from a local park. I ain't a great woodcrafter, but did manage something servicable using a little hacksaw, my saex, and some red acrylic paint! They are my most "holy" divining tool, and i only use them for "best" so to speak. I actually use the Northumbrian 33 rune row, and have sussed out my own meanings for the ones nobody seems to know a lot about (cweorth and calc). I like Steve Pollington's "Rudiments of Runelore" (have u read his "Leechcraft"? It's a positive Magnum Opus!)and Kemble's "Anglo-saxon Runes", and have used RI Page's "English runes" quite a bit. Websites i particularly like are those run by the Wodenings (have u read "Hammer of the Gods" by Swain? I found it a good sourcebook for planning various rites etc) The "Anglo-saxon Heathenism" site is my absolute fave though, it's so beautiful and the info is pretty comprehensive and well researched (i'm probably telling you stuff you already know here though!)

Apparently we might live near each other according to Darkmere - is that right? I'm really glad to have come across another AS enthusiast anyway!

HAEL WAES THU, EORTHEN MOTHOR, LAREOW MINE!:wizard:

#14 Anglian Queen

Anglian Queen

• Inactive
  • PipPipPip
  • 48 posts

Posted 30 May 2007 - 09:59 PM

There is a welsh set called the Coelbren- some are saying that they are not authentic but I don't give a rat's arse- as long as I am comfortable with them!

Tee hee - i like that line of thinking! I personally think that "authentic" equates mostly to "what works"! I like to think my practices echo what was really done in the "olden days", but reckon that my ancestors wouldn't have thought twice about innovating if the need arose. For instance, i've often wondered what would happen if someone who speaks old anglian went back in time and set up some kind of "new age" stall at a market in heathen northumbria - it may well get some interested customers, even if they couldn't read the instruction leaflet in the tarot box! (i guess some of the symbolism would be new to them though - maybe one of the animal oracles would suit them better!)

HAEL WAES THU, EORTHEN MOTHOR, LAREOW MINE!:wizard:

#15 LadyAlicia

LadyAlicia

• Inactive
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 08 June 2007 - 09:22 PM

I don't use runes for divination but I use them for spellwork. It is not that I don't think they are good, as I have seen others work with them with amazing accuracy, they just don't work well with me. I too, prefer to make my runes as I need them for a spell. I use stones that I find along our rivers and paint the symbol needed.

Allie :hallo:

:flyaway:Just enjoying the ride!

#16 Andor

Andor

• Seekers
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 20 September 2007 - 05:16 PM

Marshy.....
I have worked with and made Rune Sets for awhile now, I truly enjoy making them as well as other "Craft" tools...
I pull one Rune every morning upon awaking before I do anything else so I am still close to a sub conscious state...well lol..I am not fully attuned to what I will be doing in the coming day.....so there is no influence from what I already know that I am going to face...I am still, after several years of doing this, amazed at how accurate the Runes are, and the more that you use them , as well as any tool, they become highly tuned to you.....I guess, or at least I say, that they pick up your Aura, I never let anyone touch my personal tools.....
The ones that I make are a mix of Anglo Saxon and Elder Futhark, there is nothing Traditional about these at all lol....I like Ing from the Anglo Saxon set but Jera and Hagalaz suit my fancy from the Elder Futhark better, and I do include Wyrd when I make mine although I do not keep Wyrd in my bag......I have made Rune Sets in the past for others and others do use the blank Rune.
The Clay sets I made over several years when I stayed on 16 acres of land owned by our HighPriest out in East, Texas, this land was an old Clay Pit in the 1930's and there was abundant material to play with lol...I dug a hole in the sandy ground and shaped the disk and carved them, then I layed several layers of newspaper over them and covered that with a pile of dead tree limbs that were also abundant all over the propriety, I would let this burn down and re pile and continue "fireing" the Runes for several hours.
I had an old piece of corrugated tin that I would cover the hole with and pile sand on top of that and let it all sit over night and dig it up in the morning and they would come out hard as a rock!....
I coated them with Satin Polyurethane to keep them from chipping and every day wear and tear from use but I wish that I could have found something more natural.......
Well........there are tons of Web Sites out there that will do a better job of explaining there workings, but I saw that others had mentioned making their own sets so I thought that I would brag on my self a little :D
Andor

Attached Files

#17 Tana

Tana

Earth Mother

• Moderators
  • 3,763 posts

Posted 20 September 2007 - 05:55 PM

Very nice... :applause:
)0( Tana )o(

If I break faith with thee, may the skies fall upon me, the seas drown me, and the earth rise up and swallow me.

#18 snow

snow

• Inactive
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 134 posts

Posted 21 September 2007 - 12:45 AM

Very nice! I'm in the process of making my own set too, It's exciting!
Bigmouth Strikes Again

#19 NJHeathen

NJHeathen

• Inactive
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 21 September 2007 - 02:32 AM

Wassail Marshy,

I cannot speak from a Traditional Witchcraft perspective, of course, but as a long-time Heathen, if you're going to use runes the Anglo-Saxon futhork is one of your better choices. (For the simple reason that it has an extant rune poem which can be used as an esoteric guide to the coherent meaning of the staves, unlike the ubiquitous Elder Futhark.)

As far as "getting a set" goes, well... it sounds like you're intending to use them for divination. I could go on for pages about the question of runic divination, but suffice to say it's something I gave up long ago as not only ahistorical and inauthentic (which may or may not mean much to some folks) but also inappropriate. Meaning, the runes are most effective when used as an active magical tool, for galdoring, making talismans, and the like. Using the runes for such a purpose, especially when there are so many different and indisputably ancient means of divination, is like using a steak knife to make paper dolls; it'll work, but your dolls could be better and you'll leave a perfectly good steak uncut.

If you must-- must-- use the runes for divinatory purposes, then I would heartily echo what others here have said. Rather than buying one, make your own. Ideally, you should make a new set for each divination.

Although it does not deal with the A-S futhork specifically, the best book I can recommend on the subject for someone just getting into the subject is "Futhark" by Edred Thorsson (still in print). I also cannot recommend Bill Griffiths's "Aspects of Anglo-Saxon Magic" highly enough, although despite the title it deals with the entire Anglo-Saxon world-view, rather than just magical practices.

Hope that helps!

Joseph
http://www.normannii.org

#20 Cairelle

Cairelle

GiGi Extraordinaire

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,374 posts

Posted 21 September 2007 - 02:35 AM

Thanks for the info!! :D

“People don’t live in New Orleans because it is easy. They live here because they are incapable of living anywhere else in the just same way.” – Ian McNulty, A Season of Night: New Orleans Life After Katrina