Why...

Loona Wynd

It seems to me that nearly every book on witchcraft of any form (traditional or not) describes the practice as a religion with specific deities and holidays. WTH. I mean yes I am a religious witch. I do work with deties from time to time, but not all my craft is religious (most of the time it isn't). However I would never consider witchcraft a religion. Spiritual practice maybe, but not religion.

So why do they always publish books about it as a religion? Books on "magic" it's self are often religious as well. Do they think only people who look for a religion are into witchcraft? Or what?

It seems to me that nearly every book on witchcraft of any form (traditional or not) describes the practice as a religion with specific deities and holidays. WTH. I mean yes I am a religious witch. I do work with deties from time to time, but not all my craft is religious (most of the time it isn't). However I would never consider witchcraft a religion. Spiritual practice maybe, but not religion.

So why do they always publish books about it as a religion? Books on "magic" it's self are often religious as well. Do they think only people who look for a religion are into witchcraft? Or what?

Because 99.99% of them are written within the modern wiccan tone.

Because it easier to 'label' something and fit it into its nice and neat little category than it is to grasp that it is autonomous from any organized religion.

AnjelWolf; everything okay down your way? I hear there is a heck of a racket down that way what with the storm and all.

Guest Varillon

Sadly, there are some groups that claim to be traditional and despise wiccan ways but swear up and down that the craft is a religion. It's no wonder people get confused. Add to that the profit made by all the big name book stores, and all people care about is something different and making money. I'll admit, compared to how some believe around here, wicca doesn't sound bad at all. I just can't be comfortable with worshiping either.

If you want some good reads, do some searches for Anjel's posts. Specifically spells and grim related stuff. At least you can see how something is done so that when you create your own ways, you have a basis for comparison. I've included several pieces of her work in my own new grim. This one is a compilation of witch's art as I see it. Not art in the visual sense, but art in the working sense. If in 200 years someone stumbles onto it, they'll have a wealth of information. Yeah, I'm an idealist :P Plus, by that time, it may really be needed lol

It seems that other than folklore, very little about "traditional" craft is written. Actually, traditional craft seems to be so varied that anything written would be only one person's way of doing it. Most of the books are Wiccan, and Wicca is a religion. As the first few books written on craft that were widely accepted and read were Gardner's, and he is Wiccan, but probably many people who read his books assumed that witchcraft is witchcraft.... and then lay people who had no access to any other info on craft adopted his ways and so when they wrote books, it was in the wiccan format, I would guess.

There are now several books out there that are not wiccan, but to some people I guess they might see anything that has a god involved and/or ritual as a religion... don't know...

Because it easier to 'label' something and fit it into its nice and neat little category than it is to grasp that it is autonomous from any organized religion.

Right on! Most people can't accept anything they can't put a label on or put into a neatly described pigeonhole. I've fought against this all my adult life - people get very confused when they find out I'm a witch but not a Wiccan (or Druid ... or I forget all the other labels). They don't know what to think because I don't fit into one of their "categories". Tee hee. I like it.

Guest Landieth

I prefer them not publishing books on traditional craft. It comes from your own spirit, as well as your family's. Traditional craft is not something that should be bought or sold in some book that someone says that it's 'this way'. I'll stick to inspirational wisdom, lore, and correspondence books for bathroom reading.

If I want to know how to do something, I'll tune myself in and listen to what is trying to be said about it.

And as far as people who label go, I avoid them. They seem to be quite content in their way of thinking, just as I am in mine. :)

Hi Loona wynd...

You know , I have asked myself how would I explain what I beleive to others if I were asked , and to be honest , I don't know that I could without puting it in a religius context. I realy think most peopole , not all , but most , would either run away screaming that I was the ofspring of the devil himself , or they would simply be thinking me a compleat nutter if I were to put it to them point blank , in plain english.

I think a lot of authers try to sort of soften the subject by painting it as religion. Make it a bit less goofy and or a bit less threatening to the average joe by making it a religius thing. Even so , I think it can be realy hard for them to grasp.

I picture myself trying to explain to the peopole I know , lol , THAT would be a tuogh one!

I prefer them not publishing books on traditional craft. It comes from your own spirit, as well as your family's. Traditional craft is not something that should be bought or sold in some book that someone says that it's 'this way'. I'll stick to inspirational wisdom, lore, and correspondence books for bathroom reading.

If I want to know how to do something, I'll tune myself in and listen to what is trying to be said about it.

And as far as people who label go, I avoid them. They seem to be quite content in their way of thinking, just as I am in mine. :)

I actually like that. I've recently started to develop my own understanding of things and it feels more right than anything else I've ever done. That being said I do use the books out there as a diving board. It allows me to go into the depths and discover myself by learning about others.

Besides some of the stuff is fun to :roflhard: on. I'll admit I have a heavy Wiccan influenece right now. However I'm not stuck to it and have pondered my understandings and am making things mine. No one else can make my path. Hell I don't think any one else would understand it :-p

Guest Landieth
Hell I don't think any one else would understand it :-p

Lol, I can relate to that!!.... though, you'd be suprised by how much some people DO understand. :)

Trust me honey we've all noticed.
I know. However I am no longer trying to stick Trad Craft into a little box. It's just soo big. Even if I never develop into a traditional witch, I keep learning a lot here and cherish the information that gets provided here. I've learn edabout myself and the practices of others.

Guest dawnmedos

hi,

i see witchcraft not as a religion, but as a craft. but it was interwoven in the old cults- like other crafts too. look into ancient greek, every craft had it?s patron god or goddess- apollo- musik, divination, athene- spinning, weaving,

art, hephaistos- smithcraft.

so hekate was the patron of magic and witchcraft and was honored by witches and magicans (theurges).

in ancient greek and rome there was a separation between the more male orientated magic wich later became theurgy and the more woman magic- witchcraft.

and the views of witchcraft were like the views during the middle ages and

the rennaisance. but the views were interwoven with goddess figures like hekate and later diana and holda- the witches worked their magic with the help of this goddesses and it was believed, that they flew with them threw the night.

i personally am not religious- i know my gods- i don?t have to believe in them.

Well, to be honest, before the turn of the century, I think most witches didn't differentiate crafting from religion. As most cunningfolk in England were Christians and saw no reason not to think of themselves as Christians.

So if you're Seidr, then you think that real witches need to be of the Norse religion... etc.

I prefer Hedgewitch because that means I can be irreligious. :)

It just depends upon which path you choose and who you talk to.