How do you fit it into your life ?

Deb13b

Your particular form of Witchcraft, I mean ? Do you have any regular daily things you do ?

I have my little boy who is nearly 5 to look after, I am working 2 jobs, running the house, coping with a hyperactive Boston Terrier & 2 mad old cats. Also just met a wonderful man so am trying to fit time in for him too. :heart:

I would love to have some time to catch up with drying / bottling herbs, updating things in my grimoire, make some oils, write in my journal, sit outside under a tree & meditate, do some divination work etc etc. It bothers me that I don't have as much time as I would like to do these things. :frown:

So, do you have regular times set aside for your work ? Or are you like me, squeezing in bits whenever you can ?

Guest Landieth

For me, well, my craft is my life. It's me, and everywhere I go it's there too. I practice at home, on the road, in the stores.. when there's a need, I use it.

For other things, I have to fit it in. As far as your grimoire is concerned.. when realizations or maybe an epiphany comes to you, keep a pen and paper with you to jot it down, that away you have it handy to add into your grimoire when you find the time.

Sounds like you're full to the brim with things you have to do, lol. I guess if I was in your shoes I'd be reflecting in the same way.

Haha, everytime I'm near a park I try to go. :) There's a park a couple towns away that has a lake, and I walk the edge and meditate.

Hmm.. but back to your initial question lol --

I guess I do both. I do have a certain ritual about daily life, where before I do this, I do this.. or when I wake up I keep the dream fresh in my head long enough to remember it and write it down..

For others, yup, basically finding the right time to do it.

when my kids were little it jsut went on hold. I didn't stop being a witch I just tried to find things to do hat included the childen. Nature walks celebating seasons etc.

I like to think that its not what you do , its what you are.

when my kids were little it jsut went on hold. I didn't stop being a witch I just tried to find things to do hat included the childen. Nature walks celebating seasons etc.

I like to think that its not what you do , its what you are.

You know, I never thought about that, we do stuff like that all the time. My little boy is a nature lover too, we are always out collecting flowers & herbs, pine cones & stuff to add to moms supply cupboard. Or sitting by the river in a nearby forest, trying to spot faeries lol.

Thank you, I hadn't even thought about it that way!

Your particular form of Witchcraft, I mean ? Do you have any regular daily things you do ?

I have my little boy who is nearly 5 to look after, I am working 2 jobs, running the house, coping with a hyperactive Boston Terrier & 2 mad old cats. Also just met a wonderful man so am trying to fit time in for him too. :heart:

I would love to have some time to catch up with drying / bottling herbs, updating things in my grimoire, make some oils, write in my journal, sit outside under a tree & meditate, do some divination work etc etc. It bothers me that I don't have as much time as I would like to do these things. :frown:

So, do you have regular times set aside for your work ? Or are you like me, squeezing in bits whenever you can ?

While in the past I always made time for my witchy stuff...these days I just can't seem to find the time or have the energy to do what I did in the recent past.

But I still do the routine things as much as possible (like collect water from storms, graveyard dirt, dead animal, bugs, etc.).

I conform to whatever the situation in my life is. Kids around, no kids. Work or not. I do not need long moments of silence to do my stuff. I can do magical workings with the kids running around and hubby watching television. I have grown accustomed to focusing with chaos around me. If I need quiet, I go outside or upstairs. There is no regular thing i do each day. I just do what feels like needs to be done. Of course my kids know what I do, so I do not need to wait till they go to sleep or are gone. My youngest started school this week. So I realised I have more time alone now. It is during the day, but I never had a problem with doing stuff during the day. At night I am too exhausted. So this should be interesting. More time.

One thing I have learn to love doing is magical cooking. Since I have to do it everyday anyway, I learned how to use food and herbs while cooking to work some magic. I just get up each day and get my day started. Whatever comes up, I deal with accordingly. No regular witchcraft routine for me. Just an everyday oppurtounist witch I guess.

Rebie

You could always sit under the tree and do some light meditation while the kids are playing outside. If you don't have a yard at home, go to the park.

That is what I do sometimes.

Rebie

I struggle with time so at the moment it comes down to only doing it when I really need it.

I need to have quiet to focus. Hopefully now my daughter is at school I'll start to find more time to myself.

I struggle with time so at the moment it comes down to only doing it when I really need it.

I need to have quiet to focus. Hopefully now my daughter is at school I'll start to find more time to myself.

My little boy starts school full time in September so hopefully I will have more "me" time !

My Dad once told me, If you want to have time to figure things out, or how something works, retire. And that's about right. And even then, we have things to deal with that are often beyond our control.

There has to be a sort span of time where you take care of YOU! Whether it's working with your craft, or getting a pedicure and taking the time to meditate. Whatever small thing makes you happy, give yourself permission to take that time. Burning yourself out at such a young age will not help you or your kids.

Guest Varillon

I tend to use this place as a push. Someone is always needing a little help with something, healing energy or Anjel and KW are fighting another hurricane. Since I value friendship so much, this keeps me from going stagnant. I keep saying I'll get back to certain things after school, and my career has started, but who knows? Like Jan, I may have to wait for retirement to do all I want lol

I try to constantly do things, and now so many of them are second nature. When my son was little we used to make magic wands on rainy days (okay, its Harry Potter but it doesn open a kids mind to a witchy lifestyle). When I read or study I light a candle. I light a candle on my alter whenever I'm in the house for an extended period. I smudge my house several times a month and my son too, and whatever other teenagers happen to be in the house at the time. Ihave nature things all around the houe that I see on a daily basis. Imake protective door hangers and corn dollies (kids love to do that too and if the spell is simple they can chant it) and re-make them each year. I have tons of dried flowers in my office at work, and several gargoyles and a brass snake and a "longevity" goddess statue for the working girl lol... (my boss is very understanding). I keep salt and lavendar injars in my office and sprinkle them about the floor whenever the vibes get too negative (clients) and some of my co-workers now have me do their office too. I burn incense whenever I;m in the house for an extended period. I write in my BoS (I can't spell grimorie and a rose by any other name lol...) regularly and read it at break and during lunch. I toss a little of my dinner outside each night as a thank you.... tons of little things that don't take too much time, but keep me connected... I look up at the sky or the birds or a flower when I'm driving and just appreciate the beauty...

And some days I'm PMSing and cranky as hell and do jack shit ;-)

I can certainly empathise with a busy lifestyle! I fit bits and pieces in during the day, collecting things or preparing bits ready for later in the day. I usually do my focussed work at the Witching hour when things are quiet and I can work undisturbed. Luckily my offspring are all grown up!

I'm lucky in that I only work part time and the kids are off living their own lives now. I walk my dog through our pine forest every day and sometimes collect things as I go then often stop in an open area and meditate, watch clouds, bugs, the leaves and listen to the birds. I smudge the house fairly often and most nights I light the candles on my altar before going to bed. I use my Tarot cards when I need answers to life's little (and some not so little) problems. I try to keep my grimoire up to date (I'm always rearranging it, lol) I have certain little rituals that I do before leaving the house to make sure my outdoor pets are safe. And I love having magical baths with herbs and stuff.

When the girls were home and I was working full time it wasn't that easy but I used to get out into nature as often as I could either by myself or with the girls and I usually had a book or two I was reading.

Raina

Guest Tiger Lady

I have a 5 (almost 6) and 7 year old. I don't work though and I can see where you'd have no time for yourself. But this is what I do.

My big ritual stuff stays locked in a hope chest so that my little ones can not play with it but I do have a very small sacred spot set up where I can light a candle and some incense and do a little reflection/positive energy ritual for 5 minutes. Since they go to bed before me, sometimes I do a 10-15 minute meditation. Which I find actually sets my mind straight and allows me to deal with stresses. But you don't have a lot of time - rituals don't have to be long and they don't have to involve any tools. I like my candles which are surrounded with stones, feathers, some dried bugs, shells. And I like my incense but they aren't necessary. Sometimes I just take five minutes to sit outside and stare at the stars and moon and I consider that just as good ritual wise.

Sabbat wise - I celebrate those with my family. I make huge seasonal feasts that my kids think are fun - I even get them into the action. They help me make some of the foods. And we sit down and have family time. I also get the kids to help me make dollies and they help me set out foods and gifts that we give to the spirits. I get them involved, without getting them involved. I let them do things with me that don't outwardly look witchy because of the area we are in.

Grimoire wise - I think the best strategy for you would be to have a loose leaf one. That way you can add things to it and not spend a lot of time. I know that information when its found should be categorized, so that when your serious about setting up a grimoire and have the time - you'll have the information. At least come up with a way to be able to collect information but not spend an abundant amount of time on one topic. With my grimoire (and this is because I have the time) - I can spend up to 6 months on one topic. That's the reason I use a bound notebook. But for you, I would keep things in a loose leaf binder so that you can add topics as you go in what ever order you want and not spend tons of energy and time on it. At least, you'd have the info when you needed it.

I wish I could be more useful. Your time is definitely tight. My kids are just getting old enough that I can spend time growing herbs and learning how to use them. But I also know that within time I will become an older witch than can delve into all those things I don't have time for right now. But I can wait a bit longer because I'm going to miss the hell out of my kids.

Since I'm a sahm I suppose I have a little more time than most, but I also homeschool, so that does take up a lot of my day, along with caring for an elderly family member. I am very informal in how I work my craft into my everyday life. It can be something as simple as saying a chant while stirring honey into tea for a sore throat, lighting incense and just taking a few minutes before bed to reflect and meditate. Putting out bread for the birds in the backyard. I do nature walks with my son too, and we do a lot of talking about the seasons, the stars, and the moon. I also work magic into my cooking, and yes, while it is easier to do with homemade from scratch, I find a magical spaghetti and meatballs is just as simple with sauce from a jar, if I add a pinch of a few herbs and my intent is there.

Tiger Lady, I pull some of my grimoire stuff off the internet and here and save it in my computer. Then I pull it off by category and place it on a disk. When I need something, I know where it is. In a pocket in my loose leaf binder, ready to be printed. Then I invest in the acid free printer paper when I have a jar full of coins to put in the bank. Sounds weird, but works very well for me. Especially since I am cleaning out this overly full laptop for my Mom to use when she wants to play games. I am also teaching her how to email her other kids and grand kids.

Personally I don't feel you have to make time or worry about it either. You have tons of stuff there to keep you busy with two jobs and a five year old! It isn't what you do it's who you are and when you have more time you can catch up on all the things you want to do.

What you are doing right now, introducing your son to nature, is just as important as anything else. You can write up your grimoire or whatever some other time....I don't have one, never had the time to write in one. I have a box with the odd scribbled down idea but on the whole I just keep it in my head or improvise.

Your doing just fine :)

I think I have lately been concentrating too much on the "how to do" rather than the "being", if that makes any sense lol !

I want to say a big thank you to you all. Your replies are both inspiring & comforting.

I have never felt so "at home" like I do on this forum. I feel like I am learning & growing with my "family", because that's how I'm starting to see this place.

Sorry, I know I am being a soft shite !

Well I have not been working for almost 2 years, and I have alot of time on my hands.. LOL. But to be perfectly honest with you I think I did more when I worked than I do now. It's a shame I know. I think when I worked I kept better track of things I wanted to do and put it down like a schedule and now that I am not working I think that I will remember and don't. But once I get going I do alot and then things slip, like a yo-yo.

As for day to day things I have a ritual that I do everyday, its just part of the day that goes through the evening.. its the "when's that full moon?" type of thing.. oh yes I got this and that, that I want to do this full moon or new moon.. oh better run over to the graveyard its coming in two days.

But I can see where you have your hands full and like others have stated take your son with you, I am sure he will love being out in nature and helping you. Also meditation IMO takes many forms, I found it to be meditating to bring my children when they were young to the creek and just sitting there quitely watching them enjoy themselves doing their own thing.

• 2 weeks later...

I struggle with this too, but I like to think that I'm constantly working and refining my "To-Do" lists closer to simplicity. I go to school during the day and I work most of the night, plus I'm super poor. Therefore much of my practice is done mentally and in for short time periods throughout the day. Kind of like exercising, I think meditation adds up to a healthier mental well-being. It has taken (and still takes) a lot of practice and mindfulness, but it helps.

I too am a sahm, but im also studying full time and in the process of starting up my home business ( corsetry and victoriana/lolita gothicwear) ^^

I find that to get a good balance I have to do 1 of two things 1.) pass Rowie over to dad for an hour and 2.) incorporate spellwork within every day chores and jobs ( the shower makes an excellent place to do a quick five minute aura and chakra clean and balance.) even taking 15 min before u go to bed to write in ur grimoire like u would a diary.:chakrahearts:

Archived