• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#21 Lela

Lela

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 851 posts

Posted 25 January 2009 - 03:11 AM

The playing card deck I really want is called the Playing Card Oracles - it's another small playing card deck but with beautiful illustrations...

That deck is really nice…love the illustrations.

#22 Osean

Osean

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 27 January 2009 - 02:02 AM

(I don't think anyone made a thread on this yet, after doing a search, so here it is.)

I wanted to get started on cartomancy so I've been reading up on it. I came across this Gypsy Witch Fortune Telling Playing Cards on Amazon and eBay.

Does anyony have this deck? Is it worth buying. The reviews seem pretty good.

So is it like a regular deck with special drawings and descriptions on each card. What makes it "gypsy"? Is it really from the Roma? :thinking:

I saw them at a store once and looked at them. They did not call to me so i did not bother buying them. I would much rather go to the dollar store and buy a deck of regular playing cards and read them.

I am my own evil twin.

#23 Guest_ThePopeVI_*

Guest_ThePopeVI_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 August 2009 - 10:13 PM

I used to have a set that was my Great Grandmothers (the were not passed down) I got them when we were cleaning her room one time.... I liked the Witch on them in her Victorian dress, but aside from that I never really used them. they didnt seem to "flow" for me, I dont know the just didnt call to me at all. I kept them for a while until I lost some of the cards in a move then tossed the rest of the deck. I sort of want another for nostalgia but IDK if I REALLY want it that bad LOL I am glad to see that its not just me who dosent like the cards!

#24 WaterWolf83

WaterWolf83

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 157 posts

Posted 22 October 2009 - 07:36 PM

I haven't seen the cards your talking about yet, still a bit deep in my own research but i can offer this. Its a rule of thumb that the term "gypsy" is derogatory to anyone of Roma decent. I am of Roma decent, but considering i was born in this modern era it doesnt bother me as much when the term is used for mundane things like new age fashion. Probably twinged when it was mentioned as gypsy fortune telling cards.

I haven't seen a special deck mass marketed that a traditional Roma has used, they tend to be a deck that is either passed down from generations gone or a deck that can be purchased as a regular playing deck. My Oma's cards were passed down to her and some day i hope to recieve them as they are very special to me. Most Roma i know from family don't share with anyone outside the Roma tradition of their divination or practices. And with the changing in traditions and technology its almost like a dying practice because some families keep their secrets so closely guarded.

LDG,
I wanted to apologize. After reading this thread I realized a few things. That the term "gypsy" is derogatory.. I used it in my "hello all" thread, but as you can plainly see I meant it in a sign of respect.. doesn't change that it is derogatory and my own ignorance kept me from that fact.

Infact what I did not add to that little story was that in her reading for me I was wearing an engagement ring at the time. She told me that the man who gave me that ring was not the one I was to be with. The man I was to be with was from my past.. and thanx to her I have a wonderful husband and an amazing son! So you can see I would not wish to use a derogatory mark in refrence to someone whom has brought me so much joy.

All I can do is apologize and have better knowledge in the future. I simply wished to apologize because it was wrong to say it, even if no harm was intended. I think sometimes in the states we get used to stripping meaning and harm from names to the point that the original meaning is lost. It is always good to know where something comes from.. and my sincerest apologies towards my ignorance..

wow.. starting off my newbie state bad huh?

Brandi

#25 Crimson Witch

Crimson Witch

Mistress of havok

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 510 posts

Posted 26 October 2009 - 10:44 AM

I have had a deck of these, never used them though. I had received them as a gift a couple of years ago and you know what, not sure what became of them. I do know that I did not like the feel of them and they were not very conducive to me at all. That's probably why I never used them. I had to put in my 2 cents worth.
Age does not bring with it wisdom. Wisdom comes with experience.