Photo
- - - - -

Gypsy Witch Fortune Telling Playing Cards

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
24 replies to this topic

#1 Cello

Cello

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 17 August 2008 - 04:18 AM

(I don't think anyone made a thread on this yet, after doing a search, so here it is.)

I wanted to get started on cartomancy so I've been reading up on it. I came across this Gypsy Witch Fortune Telling Playing Cards on Amazon and eBay.

Does anyony have this deck? Is it worth buying. The reviews seem pretty good.

So is it like a regular deck with special drawings and descriptions on each card. What makes it "gypsy"? Is it really from the Roma? :thinking:

.::.LOLA.::. yahoo ID: occultfigurines .::.
Currently reading/studying: Creating Magickal Entities by David Cunningham

#2 Terri

Terri

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 201 posts

Posted 17 August 2008 - 11:26 AM

I have these and I was a bit disappointed when I saw them. I thought they looked a little cheap.

I prefer the Mlle. Lenormand Cartomancy Deck by far. Here's a picture of them: http://www.houseofta...85b7700d8b9488a

If your looking for one with descriptions on the cards then you should try the other Mlle. Lenormand deck. http://www.aeclectic...fortune-telling I have some of these too and I love them.

#3 AnjelWolf

AnjelWolf

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8,650 posts

Posted 17 August 2008 - 12:38 PM

(I don't think anyone made a thread on this yet, after doing a search, so here it is.)

I wanted to get started on cartomancy so I've been reading up on it. I came across this Gypsy Witch Fortune Telling Playing Cards on Amazon and eBay.

Does anyony have this deck? Is it worth buying. The reviews seem pretty good.

So is it like a regular deck with special drawings and descriptions on each card. What makes it "gypsy"? Is it really from the Roma? :thinking:

I have to admit I groaned when I saw the title of this thread LOL! I actually purchased this deck and was deeply disappointed in them 1000000% to the point where I simply tossed it in the garbage.

It not only didn't talk to me but overall it felt "plastic".

#4 Cairelle

Cairelle

GiGi Extraordinaire

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,350 posts

Posted 17 August 2008 - 02:35 PM

I threw mine away, so that tells you my opinion of them.

It's a very negative deck, totally slanted, and just not worth having, IMO.

Purchase at the risk of wasting your money.

“People don’t live in New Orleans because it is easy. They live here because they are incapable of living anywhere else in the just same way.” – Ian McNulty, A Season of Night: New Orleans Life After Katrina

#5 Deb13b

Deb13b

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 198 posts

Posted 31 August 2008 - 07:33 PM

I have to admit I was very disappointed in this deck. As yet I haven't gotten round to finding another deck, I tend to stick to tarot. Your best bet is to try aeclectic tarot, here is a link to the oracle cards forum

http://www.tarotforu...isplay.php?f=63

#6 Grymdycche

Grymdycche

Thaumaturge Medicocre

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,495 posts

Posted 01 September 2008 - 01:11 AM

I bought a deck of them back when I very first got into all this (1974-75?). I never used them though. I got a ride waite tarot deck very shortly thereafter and figured they'd be much better. Only I still have yet to get around to really really learning tarot! Being a touch OCD, I want to "finish off" my runes learning first.
Only now I'm re-interested in "regular" cartomancy, thanks to the hedgewytch site.
BTW, I still have the deck - and still have never used them. :rolleyes:

http://runeforum.phrets.com
9 out of 10 string theory physicists agree: 'Nothing Rests; Everything Moves; Everything Vibrates'' -the Kybalion.

#7 Loona Wynd

Loona Wynd

Shamanic seeker

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 415 posts

Posted 01 September 2008 - 01:20 AM

I have them for a laugh. Honestly the best way to learn cartomancy is the best way to learn any form of divination (IMHO). You let the cards speak to you. For me its a heritage thing... I should try and channel my great meme...
A crooked path is one where changes can lead you any where-this is my current path

#8 Guest_Malika_*

Guest_Malika_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 September 2008 - 12:20 PM

I was also disappointed in this deck - I'm not sure whether it was the thick plastic laminate, the smell , the keywords or just the fact that yes it did look cheap. Its supposed to follow the Lenormand but all it does is show a passing resemblance.

I much prefer the Lenormand decks - there are quite a few versions to pick from. :)

#9 Guest_Bansheekisses_*

Guest_Bansheekisses_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 October 2008 - 04:49 AM

I actually got to see them and though I do know someone who loves them, knew right off that they would not be for me.
I tend to be a bit picky when it comes to my Cartomancy. If I pass my hand over them with my eyes shut and they dont call out to me, I keep going.

#10 AnjelWolf

AnjelWolf

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8,650 posts

Posted 09 October 2008 - 04:57 AM

You know it's funny that when you read back on the responses of this thread...the majority of us simply detest this deck!

#11 Guest_Bansheekisses_*

Guest_Bansheekisses_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 October 2008 - 02:56 AM

You know it's funny that when you read back on the responses of this thread...the majority of us simply detest this deck!

I think most people would have better luck using regular playing cards for thier readings, than this deck.

#12 sophiadawn

sophiadawn

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 761 posts

Posted 21 October 2008 - 09:18 PM

Thats funny! I have a deck of cards very similar to that. I purchased them as part of a halloween costume simply because they looked to me like they couldn't be taken seriously and wouldn't raise any eyebrows by my very non-witchy friend. So while playing with them doing an act more or less for the trick-treaters, I did a little reading my my friends daughter. Who woldn't have guessed that the reading ended up being 100% accurate 2 months later?!?! LOL

I have several other tarot and oracle decks that I do like and find to be quite nice though. Don't use them around certain people though.

#13 soap fairy

soap fairy

fluffy chaos instigator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,200 posts

Posted 22 October 2008 - 09:23 AM

I don't think they're actually from the Roma as the few Roma fortune tellers that I've known have either used tarot or regular playing cards but someone correct me if I'm wrong.
Personally I've never quite managed to get into cartomancy, I'll stick to my pendulum.

:cloud9: floating through life on a cloud of bubbles

#14 Guest_Bansheekisses_*

Guest_Bansheekisses_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 October 2008 - 02:48 AM

SF, I have used pendulum, but never mastered it. My hands are not steady enough on somedays for it to be accurate. My hat is off to you, for being able to use it.

#15 shapeofbirds

shapeofbirds

• Seekers
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 17 December 2008 - 02:39 AM

I love this deck for sentimental reasons; but haven't used it since I was a child and for the similar reasons posted here. I think my mother thought it was a toy or Jr. version reading cards when she gave it to me. I love that she did though and I had fun with it! :biggrin2:

#16 LDG

LDG

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 402 posts

Posted 21 December 2008 - 04:11 AM

I haven't seen the cards your talking about yet, still a bit deep in my own research but i can offer this. Its a rule of thumb that the term "gypsy" is derogatory to anyone of Roma decent. I am of Roma decent, but considering i was born in this modern era it doesnt bother me as much when the term is used for mundane things like new age fashion. Probably twinged when it was mentioned as gypsy fortune telling cards.

I haven't seen a special deck mass marketed that a traditional Roma has used, they tend to be a deck that is either passed down from generations gone or a deck that can be purchased as a regular playing deck. My Oma's cards were passed down to her and some day i hope to recieve them as they are very special to me. Most Roma i know from family don't share with anyone outside the Roma tradition of their divination or practices. And with the changing in traditions and technology its almost like a dying practice because some families keep their secrets so closely guarded.

#17 Cairelle

Cairelle

GiGi Extraordinaire

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,350 posts

Posted 21 December 2008 - 04:55 AM

My Oma's cards were passed down to her and some day i hope to recieve them as they are very special to me.

I have my grandmother's cards. :D

“People don’t live in New Orleans because it is easy. They live here because they are incapable of living anywhere else in the just same way.” – Ian McNulty, A Season of Night: New Orleans Life After Katrina

#18 shapeofbirds

shapeofbirds

• Seekers
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 24 December 2008 - 04:03 AM

I haven't seen the cards your talking about yet, still a bit deep in my own research but i can offer this. Its a rule of thumb that the term "gypsy" is derogatory to anyone of Roma decent. I am of Roma decent, but considering i was born in this modern era it doesnt bother me as much when the term is used for mundane things like new age fashion. Probably twinged when it was mentioned as gypsy fortune telling cards.

It is derogatory and the deck was made in the US as a novelty during an era when there was even more prejudice than there is today against the Roma. It's a later and corrupt version of Lenormand cards, but it's not New Age.

#19 LDG

LDG

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 402 posts

Posted 25 December 2008 - 04:55 AM

but it's not New Age.

Correct i was using that as an example. Refering to "gypsy" skirts or "gypsy" tops in new age fashion. I rarely get offended at much myself, but the actual term was meant as something less than yesterdays garbage because of the stigma that the Romani practiced "black/evil" magic. My Oma did not recieve this type of social discrimination, as her mother was settling from the traveling life but continued to teach the culture as a way of life.

#20 Guest_Lolair_*

Guest_Lolair_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 January 2009 - 07:28 PM

I got this deck because I wanted to start learning how to read playing cards. I like the Tarot, but the cards are too big for me. I grew up in a card playing family, so I like to shuffle and do tricks and literally play with the cards, something I can't do with my Tarot decks. I have a vintage deck of the Gypsy Witch however, it's less "plastic" feeling. I think it's adorable and originally I just thought I'd get it as a cute and witchy collector's item, but I did a reading and it came true right away, so now I'm going to take them a bit more seriously. The playing card deck I really want is called the Playing Card Oracles - it's another small playing card deck but with beautiful illustrations... and no writing on the cards -- c'mon it's total cheating with the Gypsy Witch deck!