Photo
- - - - -

Tarot

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
23 replies to this topic

#1 Tana

Tana

Earth Mother

• Moderators
  • 3,763 posts

Posted 07 January 2007 - 12:59 PM

Have been working with the tarot for over 30 years now and am amazed at how accurate the cards prove to be. Am interested in others views as to how the cards work. To start off the discussion I will say my views in a very condensed form. I think the cards act as a sort of 'radio antenna' which tunes in to the subconscious mind of the reader and querent. The power of the subconscious is what then tunes in the the ether/cosmos, call it what you will, and finds the answers needed. The key to this working is to have a fully charged deck that the reader is attuned to, so that the subconscious mind is drawn to the correct card when choosing. It takes me about a year to fully charge a deck! Would be very interested to hear what everyone else thinks.
)0( Tana )o(

If I break faith with thee, may the skies fall upon me, the seas drown me, and the earth rise up and swallow me.

#2 AnjelWolf

AnjelWolf

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8,727 posts

Posted 07 January 2007 - 10:24 PM

Have been working with the tarot for over 30 years now and am amazed at how accurate the cards prove to be. Am interested in others views as to how the cards work. To start off the discussion I will say my views in a very condensed form. I think the cards act as a sort of 'radio antenna' which tunes in to the subconscious mind of the reader and querent. The power of the subconscious is what then tunes in the the ether/cosmos, call it what you will, and finds the answers needed. The key to this working is to have a fully charged deck that the reader is attuned to, so that the subconscious mind is drawn to the correct card when choosing. It takes me about a year to fully charge a deck! Would be very interested to hear what everyone else thinks.

I love Tarot Decks...and do readings within my business as well. I use all 3 decks...the Animal-Wise Deck, the Wolf Pack deck and my Egyptian Deck, when doing a reading. I have to agree with you Tana that the cards act as an "antenna" to receive information about the person you are reading for. To break down (briefly) how I read them, I do an 11 card spread (5 on top, 5 on bottom and 1 off to side to overview) on my Egyptian deck to act as past goes into present, present goes into past...then I do 3 piles of my wolf deck and flip 1 card each on top (this is the face everyone in society sees on the person)...then flip the remaining 3 piles over to expose to bottom (this reveals the sub-conscious)...then...I use a ring or something personal of them to pull between 3 to 7 cards from the animal wise deck and give a balanced out reading and also to use as a gauge to their animal spirits, as well as see whether or not they are balanced with the earth energy (earth, air, fire, water). An average reading is about 45 minutes...the information is vast and (sometimes) all too personal. I've worked with other decks but these 3 decks just pull the information like water. I've charged these decks by strong meditation with them, as well as a ritual, surrounding them with crystals and herbs and some other things as well.

#3 Tana

Tana

Earth Mother

• Moderators
  • 3,763 posts

Posted 07 January 2007 - 11:26 PM

Am very intrigued that you use three decks simultaneously to give the different aspects of the reading. I can well imagine that the reading contains a vast amount of info. It makes perfect sense the way you descrbe it. You must use a big table LOL! How did you develop this method? Was it passed on or have you developed it yourself? I use one deck and various spreads depending on the needs of the querrent. Some of them are conventional eg the celtic cross and some are of my own devising. Feel inspired now to experiment by adding another deck!
)0( Tana )o(

If I break faith with thee, may the skies fall upon me, the seas drown me, and the earth rise up and swallow me.

#4 Ora

Ora

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 209 posts

Posted 08 January 2007 - 01:11 AM

Great question, Tana. I have been at the Tarot for about 11 years now and have used a lot of different methods. I only read for myself if can help it. I use the cards as a guide to my own sub-conscious and even my own desires and inner dialogue. They have been a tremendous key to finding my way in the world. I have several decks and they are all non-traditional decks. I liked their artwork. Anyway, the deck I am using now, I have gotten to know each card as though it were a messenger over the years. I suppose they have become more of an oracle deck than anything else. Over the years, they have become sort of like a talking book. I don't hear voices or anything, but I almost converse with them. If I should do a reading for a friend, they take a different tone, a more formal tone and the deck uses different cards than it uses with me. They had their own energy when I got them, used. I have honored them from time to time, worked with them in a spell, but I have never charged them as I didn't want to interfere with the energy that is alive within the cards.

I do a very simple spread. I lay two cards sideways for the energies around the situation. These two cards are put on top and on the bottom of the 5 cards that I lay out. I lay my first card on the left for the greatest influence on the situation. The next card going right is the card for the present situation. The next card going right is the conscious desire followed by a card for the subconscious desire. The final card is the outcome as the present course would dictate. From there I lay cards on which ever card needs more explanation. I don't like rigid rules on how to read tarot so I sort of freeform after I am on to something. I like the flow of this particular spread for what I use it for in personal guidance. Should I ever do more readings for people, I would probably get a different deck and work on more detailed spreads.

#5 Storm

Storm

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 609 posts

Posted 08 January 2007 - 01:38 AM

i have never been able to fully understand how to read cards. my mother and my sister know how. but it just doesn't shine on me. i guess i don't have a connection.
If you don't live for something, you die for nothing

#6 AnjelWolf

AnjelWolf

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8,727 posts

Posted 08 January 2007 - 02:08 AM

Am very intrigued that you use three decks simultaneously to give the different aspects of the reading. I can well imagine that the reading contains a vast amount of info. It makes perfect sense the way you descrbe it. You must use a big table LOL! How did you develop this method? Was it passed on or have you developed it yourself? I use one deck and various spreads depending on the needs of the querrent. Some of them are conventional eg the celtic cross and some are of my own devising. Feel inspired now to experiment by adding another deck!

I came up with it myself...the 5 card up/5 card down/1 overall method is described in the Wolf Pack...since it was a new method I tried it out and enjoyed it...but knew I needed more information...so created this complete system. Now I also do this on a Ouija at times...and let me tell you THOSE readings are intense

#7 AnjelWolf

AnjelWolf

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8,727 posts

Posted 08 January 2007 - 02:13 AM

Great question, Tana. I have been at the Tarot for about 11 years now and have used a lot of different methods. I only read for myself if can help it. I use the cards as a guide to my own sub-conscious and even my own desires and inner dialogue. They have been a tremendous key to finding my way in the world. I have several decks and they are all non-traditional decks. I liked their artwork. Anyway, the deck I am using now, I have gotten to know each card as though it were a messenger over the years. I suppose they have become more of an oracle deck than anything else. Over the years, they have become sort of like a talking book. I don't hear voices or anything, but I almost converse with them. If I should do a reading for a friend, they take a different tone, a more formal tone and the deck uses different cards than it uses with me. They had their own energy when I got them, used. I have honored them from time to time, worked with them in a spell, but I have never charged them as I didn't want to interfere with the energy that is alive within the cards.
I do a very simple spread. I lay two cards sideways for the energies around the situation. These two cards are put on top and on the bottom of the 5 cards that I lay out. I lay my first card on the left for the greatest influence on the situation. The next card going right is the card for the present situation. The next card going right is the conscious desire followed by a card for the subconscious desire. The final card is the outcome as the present course would dictate. From there I lay cards on which ever card needs more explanation. I don't like rigid rules on how to read tarot so I sort of freeform after I am on to something. I like the flow of this particular spread for what I use it for in personal guidance. Should I ever do more readings for people, I would probably get a different deck and work on more detailed spreads.

Hi...see here with how I do my readings I have all of my senses involved (sight, sound, smell, feel/touch). It's like the cards act like the transmitter and the senses kick into overdrive. Recent example is how I did a reading for a lady and when I held her ring to pull from the animal wise deck...my ears began to "pop" and I felt like I had vertigo...when I stopped pulling from the deck and asked her why was I getting these sensations she explained that she was a flight attendant and had been one for years and was used too the vertigo and ears popping.

#8 Bethra

Bethra

• Inactive
  • PipPipPip
  • 73 posts

Posted 09 January 2007 - 11:46 AM

Another long timer here. I think it's umm 17 years now I've been reading Tarot. I don't know that I've ever really questioned how they work. I just know my cards speak to me. Images of importance will pop out of the cards and one card might mean a very different thing to a different person. Mostly I could do away with them these days. I find I can read people and my intuition helps me offer the guidance for myself, but folks get creeped when you do that too often so I use the cards more for their peace of mind than real need these days.

I have a few decks but mostly stick to my Arthurian Tarot since the images are very clear and I like the way it talks. No messing to the point sort of deck. It's a very beautiful deck to look at though it does have some rather harsh images which occasionally worry folks when they see them. LOL I love every card though and feel it speaks to my very soul. :D
View my deck here
http://www.aeclectic...ards/arthurian/

:yingyang: Id quot circumiret, circumveniat. :yingyang:

#9 Ora

Ora

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 209 posts

Posted 10 January 2007 - 12:24 AM

Bethra, that is so funny that you would say that. I can completely give a better reading if I use nothing and just deal with the person. The cards are probably what gets in my way. Years ago, people would come to me to have the aura read. I can see a light aura but haven't gotten good at it yet. Really, I was just reading their soul...sort of, but I knew that would unhinge them so I would tell them about their aura. For myself, sometimes I want something with my heart and my brain, but they are not the same. Those are the situations I often need guidance with from a place deep down within me.

Angelwolf, that is incredible about the ring. Wild. Good stuff.

#10 AnjelWolf

AnjelWolf

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8,727 posts

Posted 10 January 2007 - 01:29 AM

[quote name='Bethra'] I find I can read people and my intuition helps me offer the guidance for myself, but folks get creeped when you do that too often so I use the cards more for their peace of mind than real need these days.

I agree 100% here Bethra...some people DO get very uneasy and quite "creeped-out" when you "read" them without cards. This is why I incorporated both my intuition and my cards together...while they come to get a card reading and pay for that...they walk away with one hell of an "overall intuition" reading as well.

#11 Bethra

Bethra

• Inactive
  • PipPipPip
  • 73 posts

Posted 12 January 2007 - 02:01 PM

It is a funny thing about humans we will willingly trust a bunch of cards but we find it so hard to just trust a total stranger. People don't like to think someone can know them as well as they know themselves and still be a total stranger. They will happily sit there and let you read their cards on some of the most personal matters but the minute you pack the deck away it's back to business as usual and their shields go up. :) Odd little things ain't we?

:yingyang: Id quot circumiret, circumveniat. :yingyang:

#12 AnjelWolf

AnjelWolf

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8,727 posts

Posted 12 January 2007 - 02:44 PM

I agree Bethra...it is odd and in it's own way....amusing

#13 Patchuli

Patchuli

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 15 January 2007 - 04:27 AM

I actually have a question about Tarot cards. Ive been reading with the same Deck for about 2 years or so, and i get great results, but the problem is....i think my cards are sooooo ugly! But those are only cards i can actually do readings with. There are others decks that i love but when i try to read with them i get nothing, i dunno, maybe they dont like me lol. Why does this happen, and what can i do so that i can read with other cards?

#14 AnjelWolf

AnjelWolf

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8,727 posts

Posted 15 January 2007 - 01:34 PM

If you can read with them good but not happy with how they look...then in my opinion you're not getting a complete line of communication from them. There are so many new and diferent styles of tarot decks available today...try to see where your heart lies the most in and explore tarot decks that are similar to that certain area...for example I tend to lean towards animals...so the wolf deck and the animal wise deck grabbed me good. Now I did have a feary deck that was always giving positive affirmations and all...it was ok and gave good readings...but the communication feeling wasn't fully opening.

#15 Patchuli

Patchuli

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 15 January 2007 - 03:56 PM

Thanks, now i gotta find a place where they sell nice tarot decks :)

#16 AnjelWolf

AnjelWolf

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8,727 posts

Posted 15 January 2007 - 05:17 PM

Check witches Voice online...they should have a listing of good retailers who sell tarot decks in your area

#17 Tana

Tana

Earth Mother

• Moderators
  • 3,763 posts

Posted 15 January 2007 - 11:49 PM

Hi Patchuli
I think it would help if you carried out a charging of your tarot deck which will take a while as you do it card by card. Take the card up to bed with you. Once you are relaxed and ready to sleep study the card and think about the associations with the card. You can research this beforehand for a new deck. Then as you study the images on the card bring it up to your third eye and hold it there for as long as you feel comfortable. Then slip it under your pillow and fall asleep. You may remember your dreams or not but if you do note down anything significant involving the card.
A good site to see many different decks on is: www.aeclectic.net/tarot/ another way to charge the new deck is to lay each card on the corresponding card of the old deck. Also once you have carried out the meditations on individual cards then keep the whole deck under your pillow. It can also help to wrap the new deck up in the silk cloth of the old deck.

)0( Tana )o(

#18 Scott

Scott

Irritatingly Thoughtful

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 788 posts

Posted 17 January 2007 - 10:32 PM

Greetings All

What decks are favourites? That is one I always find interesting - I got heaps and find that I have faves for different types of readings or different circumstances.

Have even made a few div decks cause none else fitted.

So who's fave is what?

Fraternally

Scott

New Me! Now with added incomprehensibilityfullness for your convenience!

#19 AnjelWolf

AnjelWolf

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8,727 posts

Posted 17 January 2007 - 11:05 PM

Out of my three I would have to say my wolf deck...it "gets" me

#20 Scott

Scott

Irritatingly Thoughtful

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 788 posts

Posted 18 January 2007 - 12:49 AM

Greetings All

I nearly forgot - well actually I did ... I was going also to reccomend as an excellent set of realy straightforward and useful reading lay outs .. the ones in the book by Akron that was sold with the Giger deck.

Akron - now there was a magus with his head on straight!! A whole serie of really straight up style lay outs that work together to tell you just about everything you';d ever want to know about anything ..

Fraternally

Scott

New Me! Now with added incomprehensibilityfullness for your convenience!