Harry Potter is dethroned..all hail Twilight

RavenFlyer

I have to admit I never really got the big deal about Harry Potter. And i did try. I read the first three books and while I did enjoy the stories it was never that BIG of a interest to me. All the plots seemed stretched out. And I remember by the time I was halfway through the Prisoner of Azkaban I was bored.

But now I understand the big thrill of the Twilight Series. Now I read the first book a year ago and thought it was just ok. I really didn't care to read the next book, and I didn't until three days ago. It was much to my chagrin that I started reading it. I read it to appease a friend of mine who never shut up about the series. I read it in two days, and am almost through the third one. My friend and i already have plans to go to books a million on August 1st and wait til midnight for the release party of Breaking Dawn the 4th and final book in the series.

Who else is insanely in lonve with this series?

I only just heard about this series over the weekend from a friend whose step-daughter is in love with the books. You make the second person to gush about them, which knocks them up to the consideration list when I'm ready to go shopping for more literature. Thx! :thumbsup:

Guest Landieth

I've read Twilight.. {I saw they're coming out with a movie. Saw previews on the Penelope dvd}

I actually thought it was pretty good. Haven't read the others.. plan to in the future.

:)

Harry Potter did a FINE job of getting KIDS to read. And now we have another series. I enjoyed HP, because it was pure escapism, which I desperately needed the distraction. I was able to get a few boys to read, who would have rather been playing video games. At the end, we discussed it, and I took them out for a meal and the first showing of the movies locally. Though I am apart from them now, I hear they are still reading.

So, I will read the new series and send it to great nieces to read when they are ready. If I like it. That's what ALL the kids get from me. Books.

Guest SeaWitch

Hmm.. I enjoyed HP. But a lot of that was simply because we haven't been able to go back to England since my youngest (age 5) was born with a heart condition. I will keep an eye out for Twilight though. Thanks for the info!! I am always on the lookout for good books :)

As for getting my eldest (age 9) to read, Spiderwick did that. He isn't really interestedin reading HP.

DH just bought me a book called Sunshine. It's about vampires. I haven't started it yet though. We'll see.

Don't be too quick to put HP 6 feet under ;) - the books are done, but there are still 3 movies to come - - yes, 3, because Warner Bros decided to split the last story (Deathly Hallows) into a two parter!

And Rowling's HP Encyclopedia is still to come yet.

I'm sure Twilight is great too, there's room enough for all this.

Regarding this bit from the website:

I woke up (on that June 2nd) from a very vivid dream. In my dream, two people were having an intense conversation in a meadow in the woods. One of these people was just your average girl. The other person was fantastically beautiful, sparkly, and a vampire. They were discussing the difficulties inherent in the facts that A) they were falling in love with each other while B) the vampire was particularly attracted to the scent of her blood, and was having a difficult time restraining himself from killing her immediately.

At first, I thought, hmm.. that's a bit dark for kids. Then I recalled how dark Harry Potter had quickly gotten - an orphan whose parents were dead, and shortly thereafter you find out they were murdered, and Harry is supposed to be next! And it only gets darker in each book.

If HP really broke ground on anything (besides finally getting kids to read) it's that it took on much darker and mature themes than most kids books had ever dared. I think that's part of it's appeal - kids today are ready for that, they don't want to be pandered to with watered-down fairy tales anymore.

I think from here on out, "kids" books aren't going to be the mamby-pamby stuff we cut our teeth on.

Between the series of HP, Septimus Heap (recommended to me but I haven't read it yet), Artemis Fowl, Lemony Snicket, Spiderwick Chronicles, Chronicles of Narnia, and His Dark Materials, (and maybe Lord of the Rings for good measure) there surely is no shortage of the mystical and magic for kids to read. I probably just omitted a bunch of popular ones too!

I get tickled by that. Kids books are all about dark fantasy these days.

Guest SeaWitch

By the time they are done with HP movies the actors will have kids of their own...

I have read the first two Septimus Heap books. They are an easy read, terribly predictable, and a little silly (yes, even for a children's fantasy book). However, I continued to read because one character uses herbs for healing and I was amused by the accuracy of that portion of the story. Besides, I'll read just about anything once I get started. They are fun for the kids.

Chronicles of Narnia bored us to death. I haven't read His Dark Materials, but we enjoyed Golden Compass as a movie. I enjoyed how much free press it got by fundies too :) It is pretty violent and intense for my boys though.

By the time they are done with HP movies the actors will have kids of their own...

I have read the first two Septimus Heap books. They are an easy read, terribly predictable, and a little silly (yes, even for a children's fantasy book). However, I continued to read because one character uses herbs for healing and I was amused by the accuracy of that portion of the story. Besides, I'll read just about anything once I get started. They are fun for the kids.

Chronicles of Narnia bored us to death. I haven't read His Dark Materials, but we enjoyed Golden Compass as a movie. I enjoyed how much free press it got by fundies too :) It is pretty violent and intense for my boys though.

Yeah, I read a little of Narnia (the first one) and thought it was terribly simplistic and a bit sophomoric even for a kids book. I just didn't get the hype over it. IMO, it's not nearly in the same league as LotR or even HP.

So Twilight is good for kids like HP? My 14 yr old is looking for some new books. I'll try him one and see what happens then if he likes it, I willhave to check at school to see if it is in the accelerated reader points.

Yes I think the Twilight series is realy good for ages from late tweens to adult. The books are about vampires, and then werewolves and vampires.

Its all told from the viewpoint of Bella Swan a mortal girl who has fallen in love with Edward, who is a vampire who is part of a family who has trained themselves to not feed on humans. But there are other clans of vampires who dont follow the same rules. One becomes focused on Bella.

The story progesses to include werewolves. as well as a secret group of Italian Vampires known as the Volturi who are quick to act if a rouge vampire threatens to reveal their existence.

I swore when the HP books came out that I wouldn't become one of 'them', that's what I called it THEM lol. Then I let my ex's brother talk me into reading the first one and dammit if I wasn't hooked from then on, I sucked down the books till book 4 (that was all that was out at the time) and then from there on out got the books as soon as they came out. My 12 year old and I went to the midnight book selling for the last one, I had become a major hp nerd by then and was proud of it. I loved the stories, I'm an avid book reader by nature and will suck down just about anything you put in my hands to read, but what got me about them was the fact that they were so easy to read and there was no excuses for Voldemort. He was given the same chances as everyone else and chose the darker path. I hadn't even heard of the twilight series till this post but I will definitely have to check it out. ANYTHING that MIGHT get my 12 year old to read I'll have to go get lol. And if I'm lucky enough to find a series that we both like...even better.

Guest Landieth

Just finished the second and third! WOO they were awesome!

:D

I'm runnin to the store and gettin the next tomorrow!

• 2 months later...
Guest Dreamwalker

I just got into Twilight and I'm glad I did! I totally agree that he first book was a little flat, allbeit important to the rest of the series, but gosh does it pick up through the second and third books!

Anxious about the movie..previews have shown me that the actors look nothing like what i imagined the characters to be... so i dunno how it'll turn out...

His Dark Materials: Read the Golden Compass (oodles better than the movie! promise!) loved it, but can't get into the second book...our heroine almost falls off the face of the earth...wtf?

Anyone ever read Robert Jordan's The Wheel of Time series? Dunno if its a kids thing...I started reading it around 15 or so though i guess. There are currently 11 books, but I think the author died while finishing the last two..? Escapism, mystical, wonderful, beautifully constructed world and dynamic characters throughout. A good suggestion for your teens, tweens, and yourselves!