Another Controversial Law

RavenFlyer

http://www.newsweek.com/id/146803?GT1=43002

Now my problem with this is because I have o choice but to sag a bit. I can buy pants that fit my waist, but during the day of sitting and bending the waistband stretches a bit, and I have no ass so the pants sag naturally. They even do it with belt, because if I pull a belt too tight it makes it uncomfortable. Then on the other hand if I move it up one notch the pants will start to sag again.

Guest Varillon

I've never been one to go for the plumber look, but come on. If you wear anything comfortable, undies are going to show eventually. I'd say this law is just more annoyance than anything. I don't know anyone who would date a guy with pants at his knees. But far be it for me to tell someone how to dress. I'm the casual type.

http://www.newsweek.com/id/146803?GT1=43002

Now my problem with this is because I have o choice but to sag a bit. I can buy pants that fit my waist, but during the day of sitting and bending the waistband stretches a bit, and I have no ass so the pants sag naturally. They even do it with belt, because if I pull a belt too tight it makes it uncomfortable. Then on the other hand if I move it up one notch the pants will start to sag again.

Honey, you HAVE to have an ass to "sag" in the manner this article is talking about... so I wouldn't sweat it if I were you.

I personally am sick to death of seeing these dudes' asses hanging out, belt cinched around the tops of their thighs. The style forces them to have to hold their crotches when they walk, so as to keep the pants from falling off. It's totally disgusting and ridiculous... but it is very amusing to watch if they've got to run from the cops for some reason. However, I feel fairly sure that any major city has more issues to worry about than whether some of their citizens are committing a fashion faux pas.

I've never been one to go for the plumber look, but come on. If you wear anything comfortable, undies are going to show eventually. I'd say this law is just more annoyance than anything. I don't know anyone who would date a guy with pants at his knees. But far be it for me to tell someone how to dress. I'm the casual type.

No sagging for you, V?? Bwahahahahaha...

Guest Varillon
No sagging for you, V?? Bwahahahahaha...

Only if you decide to slap me with that damn saggy bawls curse.

Only if you decide to slap me with that damn saggy bawls curse.

Hmmm...

<wandering off to ponder V's testicular fate...>

I have always thought it was a ridiculous fashion! Bit silly to try and make it illegal though! We should all have the right to look like an utter burke if we want to!!

Actually, it is not a law, it is some police official looking to get sued. I am NOT fond of the look myself, it is rather Ghetto fabulous for my taste. Yes, I said it. We used to be ashamed to wear hand-me-down jeas that were too big. Now people pay a lot of money for the look. I DO hope this guy gets sued, though. I rather like the new "gentleman look" that is going now. It's sexy, and I don't even date guys.

Guest Tiger Lady

I thought this was all brought up because of the amount of guns and assorted weapons you could carry in very baggy jeans. I watched a youtube video once of a young man you walked into a room with a pair of very, very baggy jeans. This whole video was to prove a point. He looked like your normal teenager and you could not tell there was anything 'extra' in his pants (I use that term loosely). He stepped in front of a table and started pulling everything out of his pants from sawed off shot guns to handguns. By the time he was done he had laid out about 15 different types of guns. It was quite scary. I wonder if I could find that video again. Its been awhile. Hmmm....

Honey, you HAVE to have an ass to "sag" in the manner this article is talking about... so I wouldn't sweat it if I were you.

I personally am sick to death of seeing these dudes' asses hanging out, belt cinched around the tops of their thighs. The style forces them to have to hold their crotches when they walk, so as to keep the pants from falling off. It's totally disgusting and ridiculous... but it is very amusing to watch if they've got to run from the cops for some reason. However, I feel fairly sure that any major city has more issues to worry about than whether some of their citizens are committing a fashion faux pas.

THANK YOU! The guys with the pants that are 20 sizes too damn big and they got to wear a belt that is looped around the bottom of their ass cheeks (all the while showing their boxers) is just wrong and tacky (not to mention uneducated as hell).

Now this style was originated actually in prison. And the way this worked was the newbies that were open to perform "favors" in exchange for smokes/etc. would wear their pants like this.

Ask a ex-con about this :)

Nice history attached to this style huh?

Guest Tiger Lady

Okay, found it. Its not exactly as I remember it. He does have on baggy jeans but not as bad as the prison jeans. But its still the reason for the video. He pulls out 20 guns. This video was to outlaw baggy jeans in school.

BTW, that woman in the video has the most nauseating voice I've ever heard. Ugh!

Ok, ok, rag on Flint Mich all ya want.. Flint was a auto town which has closed down and there is nothing left there, not long ago another large company/factory up and closed there doors there too. The town is becoming scary with the drugs and gangs that are there. The streets, homes, it feels real dirty and nasty there now, from what was a nice bright town when the auto factories were still in business. I understand where he is coming from.. we all know that one part of town that is "the bad side", well things are really bad in Flint and it is infesting more than "the bad side". Well thats my 2 cents worth from someone who lives in Michigan :grin_witch:

but it is funny.. there goes another one after baggy pants.. LOL

ps.. I hate seeing those kids running around holding their crotches.. and there dirty boxers showing too.. I wish that I could just snap my fingers and watch them trip over their sagging pant bottoms and their feet.

The town next to me, that I lived in for 11 years til a year & 1/2 ago has also started this law. I dont like to see the sagging & have fought with my sons for years about the sagging. I even told them where it started to discourage them. tried all kinds of tricks. Didnt work. My two grown sons still sag but the youngest is finally kicking it with girls & wants to make an impression so he has developed his own style of being decently dressed. ( I think if we let it wear itself out that soon sagging will pass to),As much as I dislike the sagging, I say they have the right to as long as there's nothing showing but boxers. If they start with this as a law what next will come is my fear. No one bats an eye at the girls wearing shorts to short their ass is hanging out & stores are selling the clothes specially made to do this but sagging is bad? i dont see the difference if one is against the law shouldnt the other & probably alot more fashions.

But the way I see it is that theres more important things to worry about then sagging for police officers.

Sapphire

THAT"S why their pants are always falling off! One needs a metal detector to walk down the street these days.

Guest K8tdydBel

Hello everyone,

Now I understand the disdain for saggy drawers. It's definitely not a sexy look. I brought this law up in chat last week, or the week before.

For me I see laws like this and I understand what it can lead to. I like researching law, and my dad went to law school, but decided he didn't want to be a lawyer after all. Well, He and I love to talk about things such as law, logic, philosophy, and science. He told me that most laws are what are called "case law". What case law does is it sets a precedent for future cases. This is why lawyers and attorneys spend hours in law libraries.

The reason for this law is that mostly gangstas wear this look, and the cops there are feeling overwhelmed with crime. Now in America, except for Louisiana, a person is innocent until proven guilty. Well if cops are having a hard time catching someone in the act, or prosecuting someone after the fact, than they just drum up some ridiculous law, like saggy pants being outlawed in order to further their efforts in putting young black men in jail. We love putting young black men in jail. They're over 2/3 of the prison population, and of that over 80% is drug related. Mostly possession charges.

Anyways, I digress. Now another city can look at Flint's efforts and decide they need similar measures to keep their citizens "safe". So they come up with a dress code law.

To help bring this home I'll give a radical example. Lets say you live in a very fanatic fundamentalist christian town, and they've heard of this Flint law, and the towns people know they have a growing witch community, that they deem evil, and a problem. All they would need to do is make it illegal to wear anything associated with the devil, pentagrams etc...

And you could go to jail or pay heavy fines for the way you dress or look.

Now if in Flint the law wins the lawsuit than this small town merely needs to bring this law to court and show that another judge has upheld similar law for the better well being of the town's citizens. Well if this town's judge is a christian, he only need to here the case law, and can make his judgement accordingly.

As for being able to hide guns in saggy pants, that's a poor logical argument. You can hide guns in a raincoat, or slacks. With that logical argument you'd have to walk around necked to be sure no one was hiding a weapon somewhere.

One of my favorite quotes is from Ben Franklin,

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."

Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

This is also a great quote:

"All human situations have their inconveniences. We feel those of the present but neither see nor feel those of the future; and hence we often make troublesome changes without amendment, and frequently for the worse."

Benjamin Franklin

I think this quote sums up how I feel about draconian laws such as these.

Kate

When this fad came into style, my sons friends got into it. When they came to the house, I would ask them to pull up thier pants cuz I hate plumbers butt, they would. One day one of them forgot, walked by me and I grabbed his pant leg and pulled. Low and behold, not only did his pants come down and he tripped, but his boxers came down too! After that, none of Jason's friends would dare wear those pants in my home.

And just a quick FYI, this was about 5 yrs ago, now all the boys are grown to very nice gentlemen and wear proper pants ALL the time!! Too many girls around hated the look and they couldn't get dates!! :tongue0013:

When this fad came into style, my sons friends got into it. When they came to the house, I would ask them to pull up thier pants cuz I hate plumbers butt, they would. One day one of them forgot, walked by me and I grabbed his pant leg and pulled. Low and behold, not only did his pants come down and he tripped, but his boxers came down too! After that, none of Jason's friends would dare wear those pants in my home.

And just a quick FYI, this was about 5 yrs ago, now all the boys are grown to very nice gentlemen and wear proper pants ALL the time!! Too many girls around hated the look and they couldn't get dates!! :tongue0013:

Bwwaaaaa.....you go girl! LOL!

The town next to me, that I lived in for 11 years til a year & 1/2 ago has also started this law. I dont like to see the sagging & have fought with my sons for years about the sagging. I even told them where it started to discourage them. tried all kinds of tricks. Didnt work. My two grown sons still sag but the youngest is finally kicking it with girls & wants to make an impression so he has developed his own style of being decently dressed. ( I think if we let it wear itself out that soon sagging will pass to),As much as I dislike the sagging, I say they have the right to as long as there's nothing showing but boxers. If they start with this as a law what next will come is my fear. No one bats an eye at the girls wearing shorts to short their ass is hanging out & stores are selling the clothes specially made to do this but sagging is bad? i dont see the difference if one is against the law shouldnt the other & probably alot more fashions.

But the way I see it is that theres more important things to worry about then sagging for police officers.

Sapphire

I saw a blurb on the local news about the police cheif in Flint, and from what I have seen with the guys that they are checking, not many were that baggy.. They pat down everyone who wears baggy pants. I am very mixed on this. I don't want them telling us how to dress, remember years ago, a guy in america could not get hired if he had long hair.

As for girls with cheeks that showed under their shorts, my daughter came home with shorts and shirts to short and low from her dad's I proceeded to call her dad and tell him that our daughter was not wearing clothes that he dresses his underage flings in.. and I burned some and sewed up others that were not too bad, but if she wanted to wear any she had to take out the thread, since she refused to learn how to sew, she used scissors and usually cut the material and wrecked her own clothes. Of course she hated me.

lol,

my sons turned out better sewers then me so that wouldnt work. I thought i was being smart making them wear belts. lol They outsmarted me by waiting til they got away from me & just lowering the belt & pants anyway.

Sapphire

I saw a blurb on the local news about the police cheif in Flint, and from what I have seen with the guys that they are checking, not many were that baggy.. They pat down everyone who wears baggy pants. I am very mixed on this. I don't want them telling us how to dress, remember years ago, a guy in america could not get hired if he had long hair.

As for girls with cheeks that showed under their shorts, my daughter came home with shorts and shirts to short and low from her dad's I proceeded to call her dad and tell him that our daughter was not wearing clothes that he dresses his underage flings in.. and I burned some and sewed up others that were not too bad, but if she wanted to wear any she had to take out the thread, since she refused to learn how to sew, she used scissors and usually cut the material and wrecked her own clothes. Of course she hated me.

Guest Silverivy

Sapphire

My thoughts exactly.

Archived