Photo
- - - - -

Natural Pain Relief

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
37 replies to this topic

#21 Varillon

Varillon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 430 posts

Posted 18 July 2008 - 08:32 PM

wolfjan, can you add a lot more ginger root to your brew and still be able to cook it without burning through the liquid? I've actually eaten straight ginger root. It's one of my favorite spices and VERY good for a number of things. It's just a little harsh on the stomach straight, gives a burn like hard alcohol, for those who don't know.

#22 wolfjan1

wolfjan1

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,871 posts

Posted 18 July 2008 - 08:47 PM

That's why I started out with that amount. My goal was to EASE discomfort. It depends how you tolerate the ginger. But that abount worked for my dad, he had radiation AND chemo before he decided "enough".
It takes true arrogance to try and force ones' religion on another.

#23 Varillon

Varillon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 430 posts

Posted 18 July 2008 - 08:49 PM

I will have to go and research it, but there is something about people with type O bLood getting stomach problems more easily.

Interesting, didn't know that. I seriously need to make a medical grimoire for all this stuff.

#24 wolfjan1

wolfjan1

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,871 posts

Posted 18 July 2008 - 08:51 PM

Look up the Genotype Diet. You can probably get It cheap at Amazon.
It takes true arrogance to try and force ones' religion on another.

#25 Varillon

Varillon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 430 posts

Posted 18 July 2008 - 09:00 PM

Will do, thank you.

#26 Grymdycche

Grymdycche

Thaumaturge Medicocre

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,495 posts

Posted 18 July 2008 - 11:19 PM

I didn't know about the Type O thing either.
I'm type O, but not sure if I'm (-) or (+). I think I'm (-) though. (Universal donor)

I've tried poppy seed tea, (for pain) but it's very foul stuff. The oils are nauseating. Ugh, enough to make you gag, actually.
Now, poppy tea, that's a different animal, but you won't find me blabbing about that on a public forum area! :naughty: lol

http://runeforum.phrets.com
9 out of 10 string theory physicists agree: 'Nothing Rests; Everything Moves; Everything Vibrates'' -the Kybalion.

#27 Leigh

Leigh

Lover, Dreamer, Me

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,551 posts

Posted 19 July 2008 - 12:21 AM

fyi: Ginger is also fabulous for motion sickness.

#28 Startella

Startella

Czarwonica

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,241 posts

Posted 19 July 2008 - 06:32 AM

I will have to go and research it, but there is something about people with type O bLood getting stomach problems more easily.

Gezzz I am type O -, had to have that shot every time I had a child, never had any stomach problems yet!! This is good to know, thanks.

“Draco Dormien Nuquam Titillandus”
(Never Tickle A Sleeping Dragon)

#29 ladyemero

ladyemero

Scottish Siren

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 64 posts

Posted 19 July 2008 - 05:58 PM

Me is an O+ like quite a few others here, ginger is excellent, though some people feel peppermint or chamomile helps the stomach more, need to see what suits

I also take a course of acidophlius after antibiotics which helps repopulate the gut with good bacteria

I soo understand the tooth pain, one of tooth's nerve died and the pain was excruciating, I had to use painkillers, though the pain would wake me up in the middle of the night, when the medication wore off...

I only used the painkillers for a few days if I hadn't I think I might have bitten someone lol (raging from the pain)

Glad it's better now x

PEACE....
It does not mean to be in a place where there is no noise, trouble or hard work, it means to be in the midst of those things and still
be CALM IN YOUR HEART
(unknown)

www.scottishsiren.wordpress.com

#30 Fallen Angel

Fallen Angel

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 71 posts

Posted 20 July 2008 - 12:39 AM

That might explain why I'm sick to my stomach almost all of the time! A doctor once told me that I'll always react to medications with nausea and vomiting, but I didn't know why. My husband just makes jokes about my "delicate stomach" because I often have to run for the bathroom when I'm out shopping. Maybe I ought to look into carrying ginger drops with me instead of peppermints... the syrup is easier for me to handle then peppermint tea is, and chamomile tastes so bad to me that it just makes me go :vomit:.

~ The Fallen Angel

#31 Fallen Angel

Fallen Angel

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 71 posts

Posted 20 July 2008 - 01:18 AM

I hope it is not too much information.

No, not at all. I already do a lot of that - the laundry is done that way because I'm allergic to lavendar (of all things) and we have dreamcatchers over all of the beds and such. I'll definitely try everything else you've suggested! His seizures have caused a lot of problems... they're centralized in an area of his brain that affects speech, and he'll often skip words while talking now because of uncontrolled seizures in the past... he's ran into (and through!) a supermarket... broken bones... had heart problems... etc. He hasn't been in ICU for nearly two years now, thankfully, and works from home so that I can take care of him. Things tend to turn out badly if he has them anywhere else. Thankfully, it's very easy to feel when he's about to have one... otherwise, I don't want to know what might happen. :-\

~ The Fallen Angel

#32 Guest_Bean Sprite_*

Guest_Bean Sprite_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 July 2008 - 07:56 PM

I use Altoid ginger drops for stomach upset. It works really well.

#33 Fallen Angel

Fallen Angel

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 71 posts

Posted 04 August 2008 - 05:10 AM

Jan, I wanted to let you know that your remedy works great for epileptics.

My husband had a typical tonic-clonic seizure earlier tonight, threw up once as soon as he came to, drank a glass of your syrup and some tepid water when I gave it to him, fell into a postictal sleep that lasted only fifteen minutes (instead of the eight hours it ends up being with Phenergan), then got up and asked for some more of the syrup in a glass of ice water.

He told me to tell you that using the syrup as a sweetener and flavoring in chamomile tea at night might help people who are having problems getting to sleep because of stomach upset. I don't like chamomile, and I don't know if that would even work (the man eats chili sandwiches - chili on top of bread slathered with mayo - so you can't always trust what he thinks might taste good).

Okay, so, I've passed along my message and his. Thanks again for the wonderful recipe!

Oh - I found out what it is about people with O-type blood. They're more prone to ulcers, from what I've read. Maybe that's what you meant?

~ The Fallen Angel

#34 Mountain Witch

Mountain Witch

Practical b/witch

• Moderators
  • 3,852 posts

Posted 04 August 2008 - 08:36 PM

For the tooth pain: a drop or two of Clove oil (neat) on a piece of cotton, applied directly to the affected area for about 10 minutes. Tastes awful but works well. For the infection: rinse with 5 drops of Myrrh tincture in a half glass of water 4 times a day.

For the chemo patient: all the suggestions for keeping the skin comfortable are great. To counteract the toxic effects of the chemo, one cup of a tea made from alfalfa and red clover 3 times a day. Both are extremely nourishing and will help clean the chemicals out of the body more quickly.

#35 Fallen Angel

Fallen Angel

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 71 posts

Posted 04 August 2008 - 09:38 PM

For the chemo patient: all the suggestions for keeping the skin comfortable are great. To counteract the toxic effects of the chemo, one cup of a tea made from alfalfa and red clover 3 times a day. Both are extremely nourishing and will help clean the chemicals out of the body more quickly.

I've learned that she won't be going through chemo or radiation. The tumors in her lungs are growing at the rate of 1mm per month and are now 1cm in size... the doctors can't remove them because there are too many of them. She's going start an experimental drug that might shrink the tumors, but I don't know how that will make her feel.... do you think that the tea might help since the pill is basically going to destroy something in her body? It doesn't seem to me as if it will be any easier than chemo. :-\

~ The Fallen Angel

#36 Mountain Witch

Mountain Witch

Practical b/witch

• Moderators
  • 3,852 posts

Posted 04 August 2008 - 10:30 PM

I'd need to know which drug she's taking/going to take. Alfalfa is reasonably safe for anything in small doses but red clover does have some herb/drug interactions.

#37 winter night

winter night

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 700 posts

Posted 10 November 2010 - 12:06 PM

Clove oil is a good tooth number, very good actually. But If i was in you shoes I would be taking some super strength pain killers from my GP.

Just wanted to pop in one of my mums ones - I see you can buy clove oil now, she used to use an actual clove either chewed in the mouth (to release the oil) or crushed and set into the tooth and topped with cotton wool soaked in whiskey.

I am sure the oil would be easier to work with - but just wanted to get this chestnut in here - and I am sure everyone has cloves lying around for sticking in oranges to make punch - just me then? ! :chakrahearts:

#38 Guest_Alayna_*

Guest_Alayna_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 November 2010 - 12:11 PM

Just wanted to pop in one of my mums ones - I see you can buy clove oil now, she used to use an actual clove either chewed in the mouth (to release the oil) or crushed and set into the tooth and topped with cotton wool soaked in whiskey.

I am sure the oil would be easier to work with - but just wanted to get this chestnut in here - and I am sure everyone has cloves lying around for sticking in oranges to make punch - just me then? ! :chakrahearts:

Nope, not just you Winter Night...I also have cloves on hand..love the scent of them and use them for many different things.

Alayna