Photo
- - - - -

Natural Pain Relief

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
37 replies to this topic

#1 Fallen Angel

Fallen Angel

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 71 posts

Posted 16 July 2008 - 01:27 PM

I'm hurting a bit to much to go through my reference books right now and will be crawling into bed as soon as I can, so I thought that I would ask ya'll.

What do you use for pain relief, when Tylenol and Aleve aren't cutting it, and you don't want to take narcotic painkillers? A tooth that I recently had worked on has abcessed, and it will be days before I can see an oral surgeon.

I wouldn't post this question, since I could find the answer myself, but I'm nearly in tears and don't think I'd be able to figure it any time soon.

Thanks, everyone!

~ The Fallen Angel

#2 spinney

spinney

Local hedge witch

• Moderators
  • 2,660 posts

Posted 16 July 2008 - 04:54 PM

Clove oil is a good tooth number, very good actually. But If i was in you shoes I would be taking some super strength pain killers from my GP.

#3 Rowan's Light

Rowan's Light

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 620 posts

Posted 16 July 2008 - 08:18 PM

Yep Clove oil is the best and possibly curling up with a hot water bottle (obviously watch the temp) against your cheek may help it come to a head and drain a little (:yuck:yeuch sorry!) .

Can't you get antibiotics from the Dr's?

#4 Fallen Angel

Fallen Angel

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 71 posts

Posted 16 July 2008 - 09:35 PM

(I'm a little bit loopy right now because I finally went to the doctor to get some pain meds, so I appologize if I don't make a lot of sense.)

I got some antibiotics yesterday, but it didn't start to hurt this much until early this morning. I didn't want to have to take a narcotic painkiller because I have a bit of an aversion to opiates / sedatives / etc.. My thyroid was removed a few years ago, and I began to have panic attacks while the doctors were fiddling with my T4 levels. By the time they were optimal, I was on sedatives, and I always played this little "what is this going to do to my respiration and pulse rate, crap, I can't take this stuff" game before finally forcing them down. The fact that I had to have a thyroidectomy because of an interaction between medications didn't help, either! Especially since I kept telling the woman that something was wrong. One day she was warning me about the dangers of hypochondria, and the next she was referring me to a surgeon because I ended up with goiter and couldn't even choke down the pills she swore were okay to take. I got a new doctor, of course, and every time she says that nothing is wrong when I feel as if she's missing something, I just point to the huge incision across my neck.

So... the panic attacks are gone, but I'm still warry of taking any sort of CNS depressant.

Thanks for the tip about the clove oil... I'd forgotten all about it. I remembered salt water rinses and cold compresses, but beyond that... eesh. This particular antibiotic makes me sick to my stomach, and battling nausea and pain at the same time? No way.

~ The Fallen Angel

#5 wolfjan1

wolfjan1

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,871 posts

Posted 17 July 2008 - 12:18 AM

Sometimes you have to eat before taking certain antibiotics. But not cheese products.
It takes true arrogance to try and force ones' religion on another.

#6 Fallen Angel

Fallen Angel

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 71 posts

Posted 17 July 2008 - 12:47 AM

Sometimes you have to eat before taking certain antibiotics. But not cheese products.

I take it with toast or crackers... then I only feel like I'm going to throw up. For some reason, this one (Clindamycin) really tears up my stomach.

~ The Fallen Angel

#7 wolfjan1

wolfjan1

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,871 posts

Posted 17 July 2008 - 02:18 AM

Try some natural mouthwash and tooth paste. I like Tom's. Minty fresh without alcohol, which will burn your already sore tooth and gums. And the container, right in to the plastic bin.
I hope you feel better. That's a terrible pain.

#8 Cairelle

Cairelle

GiGi Extraordinaire

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,350 posts

Posted 18 July 2008 - 02:31 AM

How's the tooth today? :crossfingers:

“People don’t live in New Orleans because it is easy. They live here because they are incapable of living anywhere else in the just same way.” – Ian McNulty, A Season of Night: New Orleans Life After Katrina

#9 Fallen Angel

Fallen Angel

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 71 posts

Posted 18 July 2008 - 03:04 AM

How's the tooth today? :crossfingers:

Well, I didn't sleep last night because I was hurting so much, I spent the day forcing myself to keep the antibiotics down, and I yelled at everyone I came in contact with all afternoon... but after I got a fifth dose of antibiotics in me and spent some time with a cold pack, I started to feel better. I've made it for the past four hours on Tylenol and Aleve, the swelling is starting to go down (ugh... drainage... ugh), and was actually able to eat something other than soup about a half an hour ago. So, I think that I'll be able to sleep tonight and that I'll feel better tomorrow. Yay! It has to be a good sign that I can open my mouth without bawling, heh.

~ The Fallen Angel

#10 Cairelle

Cairelle

GiGi Extraordinaire

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,350 posts

Posted 18 July 2008 - 03:12 AM

Yes, that's probably a good sign, LOL!! Glad it's better. :D

“People don’t live in New Orleans because it is easy. They live here because they are incapable of living anywhere else in the just same way.” – Ian McNulty, A Season of Night: New Orleans Life After Katrina

#11 Guest_Tiger Lady_*

Guest_Tiger Lady_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 July 2008 - 03:22 AM

I'm glad to hear the tooth is doing better. I feel sorry for you, I just wished I would have had something to contribute. I can't take the sulfa antibiotics - they do the same thing to me. Ugh! I remember the final straw with them was, when I went to do my sun salutations (yoga) and while upside down - I upchucked and it burned my nose badly. I thought to myself - that's about enough of that and I had to have it changed. :vomit:

#12 wolfjan1

wolfjan1

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,871 posts

Posted 18 July 2008 - 03:31 AM

Yes, Once the antibiotics start working and take the swelling off the nerve, it gets easier. Clindamycin is a BITCH of a hard drug on your stomach. Especially on type-O blood people. But that's another story. You may have to coat your stomach with a bit more than crackers. Like at least a whole piece of hearty bread first, then the pill 5 minutes later and they can digest together. add a bit of ginger syrup if you want, in a room temperature glass of water.

Ginger syrup:
1 cup water
1 cup sugar
finely chopped ginger root (about an inch, or to taste)
Heat water and sugar together to a boil. Turn down the heat and add ginger. Simmer to syrup consistency and allow to cool to "warm." Pour the still warm juice in a tightly lidded jar. It will stay fresh in the fridge for two weeks.

It worked VERY well after my Dad had his chemotherapy. I taught my SIL how to make it, but Mom said she never did, told him to take his Phenergan pills. Mom said they didn't work well for him, so I shipped a big jar to him.
My SIL(I call her Shrivel now) does not believe in any sort of natural medicine or witchcraft.

#13 Fallen Angel

Fallen Angel

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 71 posts

Posted 18 July 2008 - 03:38 AM

I'm glad to hear the tooth is doing better. I feel sorry for you, I just wished I would have had something to contribute. I can't take the sulfa antibiotics - they do the same thing to me. Ugh! I remember the final straw with them was, when I went to do my sun salutations (yoga) and while upside down - I upchucked and it burned my nose badly. I thought to myself - that's about enough of that and I had to have it changed. :vomit:

This particular antibiotic always makes me sick for the first few days, until my body adjusts to it. Of course, those first few days are when I feel the worst, so it's like adding insult to injury.

It's funny that you mention throwing up that way. I once went to my doctor and told her that I just couldn't take another dose of the stuff because I couldn't keep it down, and she said, "I'm not surprised. It tears up your stomach. However, you've become resistant to nearly everything else, so you'll just have to keep it down." That's when I leaned over and threw up on her shoes. Every time they prescribes it, I turn green in advance and run for the Phenergan. Eek!!!

~ The Fallen Angel

#14 Guest_Tiger Lady_*

Guest_Tiger Lady_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 July 2008 - 03:57 AM

This particular antibiotic always makes me sick for the first few days, until my body adjusts to it. Of course, those first few days are when I feel the worst, so it's like adding insult to injury.

It's funny that you mention throwing up that way. I once went to my doctor and told her that I just couldn't take another dose of the stuff because I couldn't keep it down, and she said, "I'm not surprised. It tears up your stomach. However, you've become resistant to nearly everything else, so you'll just have to keep it down." That's when I leaned over and threw up on her shoes. Every time they prescribes it, I turn green in advance and run for the Phenergan. Eek!!!

OMG! I would have loved to have seen the look on her face.

#15 Fallen Angel

Fallen Angel

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 71 posts

Posted 18 July 2008 - 03:58 AM

Yes, Once the antibiotics start working and take the swelling off the nerve, it gets easier. Clindamycin is a BITCH of a hard drug on your stomach. Especially on type-O blood people. But that's another story. You may have to coat your stomach with a bit more than crackers. Like at least a whole piece of hearty bread first, then the pill 5 minutes later and they can digest together. add a bit of ginger syrup if you want, in a room temperature glass of water.

Ginger syrup:
1 cup water
1 cup sugar
Heat water and sugar together to a boil. Turn down the heat and add ginger. Simmer to syrup consistency and allow to cool to "warm." Pour the still warm juice in a tightly lidded jar. It will stay fresh in the fridge for two weeks.

It worked VERY well after my Dad had his chemotherapy. I taught my SIL how to make it, but Mom said she never did, told him to take his Phenergan pills. Mom said they didn't work well for him, so I shipped a big jar to him.
My SIL(I call her Shrivel now) does not believe in any sort of natural medicine or witchcraft.

I'm O+... is that why it makes me so sick? All my doctor told me was that it tears your stomach up. o_O

I have a script for Phenergan because most medications make me sick to my stomach, but I really don't like taking the stuff. Instead of throwing up, I just end up sitting on the floor of the bathroom with a book because I'm so misserable.

I have some ginger root on hand... I'll whip up some of that syrup right now, since I have to take more of the Antibiotic of Doom in an hour. I keep turning green whenever I look at the bottle, heh. I usually shovel down a sleeve of crackers and some beef broth before taking it, but that really doesn't work all that well for me.

It surprises me that so many people don't believe in natural / herbal medications. IMO, herbal remedies are usually easier on the body. Peppermint has always settled my stomach better than most things... and there's a reason why doctors tell you to drink ginger ale when you have the flu.

Say... do you know of anything that helps people undergoing radiation? I have a friend that's going through another round of it... her doctors never told her that her skin would burn and split, and she tends to become severely depressed when she takes pain meds. Last time, she just sort of suffered through it all. :-\ This time it's going to be on her chest... eek... I can't imagine many things worse than your breasts leaking albumin!

~ The Fallen Angel

#16 Fallen Angel

Fallen Angel

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 71 posts

Posted 18 July 2008 - 04:05 AM

Yes, that's probably a good sign, LOL!! Glad it's better. :D

I'm feeling good enough to put that one episode of the X-Files about the devil worshipers on repeat. Those few lines where Scully and Mulder are talking about witchcraft being a recognized religion ever since Wicca became popular makes me giggle like mad. Of course, this might be a sign of insanity instead of healing... hmm.

~ The Fallen Angel

#17 Fallen Angel

Fallen Angel

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 71 posts

Posted 18 July 2008 - 07:08 PM

Ginger syrup:
1 cup water
1 cup sugar

Thank you very much for the recipe... I tried it last night and this morning, and it works wonderfully. I called my husbands neurologist and asked her if I could give him this after he seizes instead of Phenergan (since he throws up as soon as it hits his stomach, which sort of defeats the entire point of taking a pill for nausea), and she said that it would be safe to do (I figured that I should ask since he tends to seize at the slightest provocation, even though I doubt that ginger would send him into convulsions). I'll let you know how it works for epileptics.

~ The Fallen Angel

#18 Grymdycche

Grymdycche

Thaumaturge Medicocre

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,495 posts

Posted 18 July 2008 - 07:26 PM

Ah, I love ginger - very good for the stomach too.
Just in case you can't make Jan's syrup for whatever reason, drink ginger ale. It's extremely weak by comparison, but, at least it's better than nothing.

Around here, I recently found "ginger beer" - non-alcoholic, but not watered down crap ginger ale that the big soda makers make. This stuff is sorta almost milky, and is super strong in ginger. It's awesome! If you can find it, try that too. I found it at a liquor store of all places.

(I also found a real ginger beer - alcoholic that is - that stuff is even more awesome :naughty: "Shandy", made by "Carib")

http://runeforum.phrets.com
9 out of 10 string theory physicists agree: 'Nothing Rests; Everything Moves; Everything Vibrates'' -the Kybalion.

#19 wolfjan1

wolfjan1

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,871 posts

Posted 18 July 2008 - 08:27 PM

Grymdycche, wasn't it you who had the poppy seed remedy for pain?
After that, Do not use anything with a scent or heavy feel to it. A light natural oil, like mineral oil right after treatment,NOTbefore. Use the ginger syrup for nausea and try the poppy tea. I have that somewhere. Does anybody know where it is?
Also, do not use any bleach in anything that touches his skin. Use the Oxy clean for any stains, and castille soap to wash. I grated up the hard, cocoa castile soap but the bottle will be just fine. Use vinegar for the final rinse. It won't hurt it to soill over in to the washtub in your washer. It will keep it ffom over sudsing. Make sure his sheets are very soft, and do not iron them or use dryer sheets. Just spray a bit of lavendar spray in there and let them go. The vinegar already softened them.
He will be more comfortable if you do all his laundry that way.
Also, make him uo some vegetable stock. The fatty meat stock will make him nauseaus. Give him that and then a light meal. Try not to deprive him of anything that doesn't interfere with his other meds. A bit of High protein meal supplement in his ice cream, kike a shake will make him feel better and he needs the protein to heal, especially if he can't eat.
I hope it is not too much information. Give him a dream catcher, to keep the fearful stuff out of his day light conciousness.
This will all show that you are there for him. If he is in the hospital, take his soft sheets with him. The hospital ones are so bleached you can smell it. and VERY abrasive on tender skin.
You are in my meditations.

#20 wolfjan1

wolfjan1

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,871 posts

Posted 18 July 2008 - 08:28 PM

I will have to go and research it, but there is something about people with type O bLood getting stomach problems more easily.