Gardner Unveiled

Guest kissedthepixies

Guest kissedthepixies

Last night I was bored. My usual crew of upstarts and merrymakers weren't online and I had to find a way to entertain myself until I'd finally grown tired enough to pass out. So what's the best way to entertain myself? Research!

When I first found this site, it was a complete fluke. I'd given up searching for anything meaningful on Witchcraft years ago. I've been impressed with it thus far so I decided to go looking to see if there's anything else out there like it. While I was out searching and poking through different interests, I came across this article. The website itself is a mixture of TW ideas mixed with Llewellyn styled major screw ups like "9 million pagan women and children died in the burning times". However, this article posted is not written by the webmistress. It's posted as being an excerpt from a book called Magical Religion and Modern Witchcraft by a fellow named James Baker. I've not read the book, but it looks like an interesting read. The article is a very good one- an account of one historians search for the elusive "history of Wicca". It also has some information on what he calls "white witches of Britain" - the wise women and cunning men of times before.

I would take much of that website with a gain of salt.. or maybe a whole salt block. But I would give that article a read.

http://www.hecatescauldron.org/garnder_unveiled.htm

Enjoy.

-KTP

Edited by kissedthepixies

Guest K8tdydBel

Is it just me, or is there an underlying tone of irritation to the author's piece?

There's this researcher named Jordan Maxwell. He's been studying the occult(which just means hidden) for over 40 years. His website is:

http://www.jordanmaxwell.com/home.html

I know that James Baker is looking into the history or lack thereof of Wicca and it's correlation to tradition British craft. It's just that so many things such as symbols go so far back, like the pentagram. I mean most symbols are universal and don't belong to any one ethnic group.

Jordan Maxwell talks about this in his books and films. You can watch his films on google video. Just type in his name. I highly recommend Jordan's work.

Guest kissedthepixies

Actually, I think there's a very obvious tone of irritation! I'd be irritated too if I felt I'd been had by a bunch of pseudo-witch charlatans.

I'll take a look at Jordan's work indeed.

I did like what James said though, about folk magic being mixed with middle class occultism. The pentagram may be one such example. The pentagram has history in ancient Greece and the logic and mathematics which came from their society. It also has connections to Christianity among other things. I suspect that the "high magic" styled occultism, with it's connections to Jewish mysticism and the works of the ancients would have been where the pentagram got introduced to witchcraft in the first place. But then again, I could be dead wrong on that. Anyone better educated out there want to share what they know? I'm interested to see if I'm right or not.

I actually really liked this article. I knew much of the information from my own research, but it was a good read. It seems to me that there are two distinct type of witches. You have your Wiccan witch (an harm none do as ye will) and the non-wiccan witches like us here. Obviously there are more traditions and types, but that's the basic view.

There was defiantly witchcraft of some sort prior to Gardner. We have confessions from witch trials (describing meetings with spirits, divination, and the like) that support this as well as local folklore. If today's craft is the same or not, does it really matter? If it works for you do the origins of practice really matter?

I agree with some of the stuff I read (traditional or not) and some I don't. Does that make my practice any less valid because of origins? I wouldn't think so. It makes me who and what I am. I am proud to be that person! Though I don't exactly know what to call my path :-p

Guest kissedthepixies

I wouldn't take confessions at witchtrails to be worth much value as they were gotten out of torture and fear, however I do agree with the rest of what you said. Thanks Loona.