Da Vinci Code Movie...

AnjelWolf

Hello All...

My husband and I watched the Da Vinci Code last night on our pay-per-view. I must admit here that the movie was as excellent as the book by Dan Brown (I have read the book as well). There is much chit-chat amongst scholars about the living blood line of Jesus and the role of Mary Mageline (I know I probably spelled her last name wrong here, sorry LOL). This movie gets to the heart of the matter and explores this to the fullest. It also discusses the Templars and there role in the Catholic church. Tom Hanks was excellent in this movie (I know some of the movie critics claimed this wasn't his best work, however I feel that they are very wrong with this assumption). It has been rumored that Dan Brown is either writing a sequel to Da Vinci Code or already has written it and is considering making another follow-up movie on this...I hope they don't. This movie was so damn good by itself to make a sequel would only cheapen it. I would highly recommend anyone to see this. I was impressed.

I just saw it tonight. It has given me a lot to ponder and of course research! Interpretation of history is one of my favorite things.

I thought Tom Hanks played a great part, very low key but powerful at the same time. I have the book and now can't wait to get into it.

Guest wortmistress

I've avoided seeing it due to hype and terrible reviews. However, I haven't read the book so I have nothing to compare to! I usually ignore reviews and certainly hyped up films- if I didn't ignore them, I'm sure that my dvd collection would be a lot different!

Yeah we didn't buy it (though after seeing it I am sure we will). The reviews were not friendly at all I know. Personally, I believe that has come from 2 sources...one...Tom Hanks is such a powerful lead actor (also director in his own right) that his role in this movie was as Victrola says "Low Key" made it almost impossible for critics to give anything decent to it. I guess they were looking for more action/blood/sex/adventure??? Two...there was a great deal of hype surrounding this film...as with the book. Actually I think the enormous hype about the book being made into the film, along with Tom hanks as the lead actor was suicidal in it's own right as well. Now there are certain movies in the past that i avoided for the same reason as you WM, but let my hubby talk me into watching and found that it was a good movie (Kingdom of Heaven was one of them). I know that the latest craze here in the states in the latest movie sequel of Johnny Depps "Pirates of the Caribbean" sagas...I recently suffered through the latest one as a result of a plea from my hubby and silently prayed for some serial killer to barge right into my home and slaughter me right on the spot.

I love Dan Brown and have read all his books. The film was well done considering the weight of expectations during the making. I really like the way all the symbology threads together and there were some visual gems in the film not to be missed, my favourites being Langdon's lecture and seeing the inside of the Louvre. I have the DVD and one of the extras is you can watch it with a commentary of all the symbols and references. Saving this for a rainy day. ;)

Guest wortmistress
s (Kingdom of Heaven was one of them). I know that the latest craze here in the states in the latest movie sequel of Johnny Depps "Pirates of the Caribbean" sagas...I recently suffered through the latest one as a result of a plea from my hubby and silently prayed for some serial killer to barge right into my home and slaughter me right on the spot.

Lol! I loved K.Of H. and was dragged along to see Pirates which I found to be extremely disappointing- too much like the first, corny and I didn't laugh once! I like deep films so I have a very weird collection of movies but each one touches me in a certain way- magically, emotionally, sexually etc...

Yeah I agree...depp can be good in some movies (for example the one where he portrayed a doctor in the Jack The Ripper Movie & the one where he was a writer and a murderer as well)...but the Pirates of the Carribbean sequeals were soooooooooooo dreadfully boring to me I won't even be in the same room when my hubby watches them.

• 3 months later...
Yeah I heard that too...I'll be ingterested in seeing how it turns out

Oh me too! Its on my Da Vinci Code dvd, on the trailers and is like coming soon to production Angels and Demons....

So I got all excited lol but whats funny is...everyone including myself seems to have read the books backwards lol Da Vinci first then Angels and Demons...now their making the movies backwards HA HAHA

• 1 month later...
Guest Obsidian Lightflame

Great movie! But! Not historically accurate. Nonetheless, the myth of St. Mary Magdalene and Jesus remains the same. Just don't take it so literally.

Tom Hanks did a great job in the movie. Critics usually just don't get enough attention at home, so they try to be as offensive as possible when they write.

Have to get that DVD...

Actually they are now saying that Magdalene was Jesus wife. Which would make sense when you come to think about it I guess. Overall I liked this movie alot

Archived