Photo
- - - - -

To cleanse or not to cleanse?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
63 replies to this topic

#41 Guest_Rebie_*

Guest_Rebie_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 July 2008 - 11:37 PM

Still undecided but so far i've been a wimp and not picked one of her decks up LMAO! what am I like :lalala:

It isnt that you are:lalala:. When you are ready, you will pick them up. And as for all the different opinions and advice you have gotten in here, the best is what you feel is right for you. You will know.
When you do use them, please let us know how it went. I would love to hear about it.
Rebie

#42 Tiffany

Tiffany

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 31 July 2008 - 05:25 PM

Nearly got there, took them out shuffled them then put them away LOL I suppose it could always be that I just dont get on with the decks she used?

#43 Startella

Startella

Czarwonica

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,265 posts

Posted 01 August 2008 - 04:56 AM

Nearly got there, took them out shuffled them then put them away LOL I suppose it could always be that I just dont get on with the decks she used?

Well Tiffany thats a start with her cards. Just take your time with them, after all there is no hurry. I would continue taking them out shuffling them and see how you feel while handling them. After some time, then decide if you wish to cleans them or not. I personally would go with your first feelings- you wanted to meld your two energies together, if that is what will happen then I believe that you will get that idea as time goes on while handling them.. so will the ritual to do that.. remember all it takes is your mind.. just close your eyes and will it to happen if you wish, you don't need any other tools to do it. Best of Luck with these new decks you got from someone you cared so much for.. I am sure she would be very happy that you are using her cards now. BTW I am very sorry for you loss.

“Draco Dormien Nuquam Titillandus”
(Never Tickle A Sleeping Dragon)

#44 Cello

Cello

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 02 August 2008 - 05:56 AM

He had a good point about energy. Believing that everything and everyone has the same universal energy running through them therefore the energy is all the same.

Yes. Exactly. I believe this to be true also. (of course I can't say I'm not biased, having studied Hinduism lol) :thumbsup:

.::.LOLA.::. yahoo ID: occultfigurines .::.
Currently reading/studying: Creating Magickal Entities by David Cunningham

#45 Kiara

Kiara

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 175 posts

Posted 31 January 2009 - 09:47 AM

The only thing I cleanse are my healing stones. I think that if you handle divination things (cards, runes, etc.) your energy will be put into them. The more you use them/hold them, the more personal energy will be transfered into them. If they had another owner before you, they will more or less forget him/her. The same applies to new cards and co. - they all have to get to know the person they work with.

#46 Nyxiah

Nyxiah

Mistress of Twisted Bats

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,169 posts

Posted 01 February 2009 - 12:33 AM

Personally I would cleanse the cards, but that's just so that i'm starting with a clean state with them and i learn how they 'react/talk' with/to me and i don't get confused by a message that's meant for the previous owners wavelength :D But thats me each to their own, everyone finds their own way to work things
I make the path - Alice from Tim Burton's Alice in Wonderland.

#47 LDG

LDG

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 406 posts

Posted 01 February 2009 - 06:02 AM

I tend to cleanse all sorts of items, i find that if they feel too cluttered with enegry it can become draining to do much of anything. This happens to me quite a bit during the winter being in the house more often. I also work at home so enegry piles up alot and with the cleaning i do, i cleanse along the way. I would say even if its someone you trust, the cards are now yours and need to be given your enegry. Energy is a personal thing to me, we may be apart of one but we are all unique in our own and have different enegries.

#48 Michele

Michele

The Exiled Goddess

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7,033 posts

Posted 01 February 2009 - 06:12 AM

I'm not a big tarot reader; however, I don't cleanse my cards once they are "mine." I have always used "new" cards just bought, with the exception of a very well-worn, well-loved, and often-used deck my old teacher gave to me. Although it was used I did not cleanse it as it came from her and I love her and having her energy all through the deck makes me feel a connection to her.

#49 Amber

Amber

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 745 posts

Posted 01 February 2009 - 11:36 AM

I cleanse my cards when they're new and after each reading with someone else. It something I've always done. I believe that we're all connected to the Universal Energy - however, our own energy is different to the next persons, and I want my cards to have mine.

Guess I'm a bit like my dog - I like to mark my own territory LOL :puppykiss:

Amber xxx

"Trust thyself: every heart vibrates to that iron string." Ralph Waldo Emerson.

"Every natural fact is a symbol of some spiritual fact." Ralph Waldo Emerson.

#50 Michele

Michele

The Exiled Goddess

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7,033 posts

Posted 01 February 2009 - 03:04 PM

I cleanse my cards when they're new and after each reading with someone else. It something I've always done. I believe that we're all connected to the Universal Energy - however, our own energy is different to the next persons, and I want my cards to have mine.

Guess I'm a bit like my dog - I like to mark my own territory LOL :puppykiss:

As long as ya dunt pee on ya cards!!!! lmao

#51 Amber

Amber

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 745 posts

Posted 01 February 2009 - 03:17 PM

:roflhard: Now I read that comment back - I sooooo asked for that LOL!!!!!!!!!!

Amber xxx

"Trust thyself: every heart vibrates to that iron string." Ralph Waldo Emerson.

"Every natural fact is a symbol of some spiritual fact." Ralph Waldo Emerson.

#52 Jevne

Jevne

Former Member

• Former Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,441 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 12:57 AM

You all are funny. You all seemed so gung-ho about being empaths that I didn't want my statements to potentially start a flame war.

But really everyone, witches and non witches, are empaths. Its a normal human ability that everyone has. That is unless you are a sociopath.

I understand the want and sometimes the desire and need to cleanse. But ultimately i think that is only in extreme circumstances. Perhaps i will clean my cards after a few years of reading for hundreds of clients. But ultimately the energy that i pick up on never really bothers me. I have read for drug addicts, abusers, rapists, as well as pious christians (as pious as the can be going to a card reader...lol) the hippiest dippiest hippies, the fluffiest bunnie wiccans, the "spiritual" people who aer into the eastern philosophies, etc... So yes negative energy has touched my cards but it has never affected me or any reading after it.

I agree with RavenFlyer here. Well, for the most part, I agree. While everyone has some empathic ability, born out of being the social creatures, that humans are, there are far fewer true empaths than claims made. In my opinion, if a person is going to claim that ability, he or she would utilize it in conducting a reading, capitalize on it. I think that is what RF is describing. Cleansing or not is really a matter of personal preference, but I can see RF's point in this thread.

#53 Whiterose

Whiterose

• Former Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,747 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 03:10 AM

I agree with RavenFlyer here. Well, for the most part, I agree. While everyone has some empathic ability, born out of being the social creatures, that humans are, there are far fewer true empaths than claims made. In my opinion, if a person is going to claim that ability, he or she would utilize it in conducting a reading, capitalize on it. I think that is what RF is describing. Cleansing or not is really a matter of personal preference, but I can see RF's point in this thread.

I had a giggle when reading this thread. I could definitely see RavenFlyer's frustration building through his posts. I tend to agree. Use the energy that is there to your advantage, cleanse when you feel something is off or you feel its required. A witch, by the nature of what they work with, should at least have a degree of empathetic ability. This is why I haven't been fond of making the empath claim. To me its like, "of course a witch is empathic, duh" But....on the flip side of that, there are those people that have the ability or have cultivated that ability to a larger degree than others. Those I tend to think of as "Empaths" because they are defined, to me, by their mastery, or greater ability to be empathic which is no different than calling another witch an Herbalist, Seer or Poisoner.

On another note, being around witchcraft this long, I have noticed that elitism seems to pop up between people of a similar mindset and that they are resistant to challenging ideas and quickly form little cliques that reinforce the validity of those ideas. I noticed this pop up in this thread. Also, I tend to notice that these types of elitists who have everything figured out, tend to have shitty lives. Ironic? Challenge and obstacles make us grow as people and as witches. If you and your craft are not growing and evolving you are stagnating and stagnating things rot and decay and this is why I think some of these types of people can't get their life in order. So, RavenFlyer, I am voting up all your posts for adding a different flavor to this thread. Sometimes vanilla gets tiring and I need strawberry.

#54 Autumn Moon

Autumn Moon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,050 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 03:33 AM

LOL!!!

I only handle the cards, so no need to cleanse them (and I 'dunt pee on dem', lol).

I really see no need to cleanse anything, unless it's dirty (physically). If something 'feels' so off or unpleasant to me, I would not want to touch it in the first place.

#55 RavenFlyer

RavenFlyer

Backwoods Witch

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,545 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 04:07 AM

I had a giggle when reading this thread. I could definitely see RavenFlyer's frustration building through his posts. I tend to agree. Use the energy that is there to your advantage, cleanse when you feel something is off or you feel its required. A witch, by the nature of what they work with, should at least have a degree of empathetic ability. This is why I haven't been fond of making the empath claim. To me its like, "of course a witch is empathic, duh" But....on the flip side of that, there are those people that have the ability or have cultivated that ability to a larger degree than others. Those I tend to think of as "Empaths" because they are defined, to me, by their mastery, or greater ability to be empathic which is no different than calling another witch an Herbalist, Seer or Poisoner.

On another note, being around witchcraft this long, I have noticed that elitism seems to pop up between people of a similar mindset and that they are resistant to challenging ideas and quickly form little cliques that reinforce the validity of those ideas. I noticed this pop up in this thread. Also, I tend to notice that these types of elitists who have everything figured out, tend to have shitty lives. Ironic? Challenge and obstacles make us grow as people and as witches. If you and your craft are not growing and evolving you are stagnating and stagnating things rot and decay and this is why I think some of these types of people can't get their life in order. So, RavenFlyer, I am voting up all your posts for adding a different flavor to this thread. Sometimes vanilla gets tiring and I need strawberry.

Thanks whiterose! And thanks Jevne for reviving this thread. I had forgot all about this topic. Damn, I was getting irritated with those people. But I still stand by what I said about cleaning cards.
I may have adapted my idea about empathy and empaths a little at this point though.

And to keep the point on track I still haven't cleansed any of my cards.

My ETSY store:

Appalachian Witchery http://www.etsy.com/...lachianWitchery

#56 CrazyBeaver

CrazyBeaver

Advanced Member

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 04:52 PM

My experience, well I have none,,, lol..
I was FORBIDDEN to touch the tarot cards or spirit boards of any kind. My mother (who knew I was a witch and tried to hide it with her christian beliefs) for years made it sound like the things would blow up if I did or something like the netherworld would instantly come to life and devour all life as we know it. :bullshit:

Anyways... took me decades to get back to the idea of me playing with them, or touching them. Funny thing is I have my tarot deck, came in a few weeks ago, just a beginner tarot till I get a feel for them. But I have yet to "open" the box containing them. lol.

Anyone willing to share how they "cleanse" their decks? I too am an Empath and have no need for anyone else's energies until I understand my own with regards to the tarot cards. :tongue:

#57 Autumn Moon

Autumn Moon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,050 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 06:29 PM

Whatever you do, do not wash them in the sink, lol.

You will get varying opinions on whether the cards need to be cleansed or not (as you can see from this thread). Personally, I have never cleansed my cards or anything else for that matter, unless it had some dirt or something on it.

I don't see how being empathic would affect you on a set of cards, but if you can pick up vibrations and history through touch, then it might affect your perception of the cards, but I think this is a pretty big 'might'.

#58 CrazyBeaver

CrazyBeaver

Advanced Member

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 09:57 PM

:roflhard:

I have an image of that... pretty tarot cards floating around in the sink of bubbly, soapy water.

I opened the pack and played with them a bit... putting them in order and such.. feel nothing from them... so I doubt cleansing is necessary either way. :thanks:

#59 Jevne

Jevne

Former Member

• Former Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,441 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 10:10 PM

Whatever you do, do not wash them in the sink, lol.

You will get varying opinions on whether the cards need to be cleansed or not (as you can see from this thread). Personally, I have never cleansed my cards or anything else for that matter, unless it had some dirt or something on it.

I don't see how being empathic would affect you on a set of cards, but if you can pick up vibrations and history through touch, then it might affect your perception of the cards, but I think this is a pretty big 'might'.

Autumn Moon is correct. I believe some people are confusing psychometry with empathy, which are not the same thing. Experiencing sensations, seeing visions, or knowing the history of an object by touch is psychometry. It is extremely rare in its pure, as in not influenced by the person's own thought and feelings about the object or scenario, form.

Empathy at any level will have little to no impact on the "feel" of a tarot deck. Empaths feel people, not objects. Those highly gifted individuals who can or do by some chance pick up some kind of psychic imprint should be more freaked out about public bathrooms, than the tarot deck, they read with occasionally.

#60 CrazyBeaver

CrazyBeaver

Advanced Member

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 11:10 PM

:omg2: ACK!! Don't even get me started on public restrooms.. and yes.. I will hold until I get home thank-you very much... even at work if I can! But that isn't due to psychic imprints.. lol... that's just me. :tongue:

Great points! Had a :blondmoment: there... makes perfect sense that I wouldn't feel anything in the cards... although I have felt energies in objects in the past... never anything new, which my cards are.