Photo
- - - - -

To cleanse or not to cleanse?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
63 replies to this topic

#1 Tiffany

Tiffany

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 13 July 2008 - 09:24 PM

I have recently inherited some decks. Now i love the idea of keeping the previous owners energies but would that interfere with my readings as we had very different styles but I am happy that they can gel but i'm not sure if I can get away with it?

(shhh she was much better than me)

#2 Guest_Tiger Lady_*

Guest_Tiger Lady_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 July 2008 - 09:38 PM

I don't know if its just that I'm superstitious but I would cleanse and charge them for the first round. That's just what I would do, so that the deck can tune into you.

#3 Guest_Rebie_*

Guest_Rebie_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 July 2008 - 10:33 PM

If it were me, I would cleanse them. I even cleanse mine if someone else touches them.
Rebie

#4 RavenFlyer

RavenFlyer

Backwoods Witch

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,545 posts

Posted 14 July 2008 - 03:42 AM

see I am one of the people that rarely ever cleanse my decks. And here is the reason. A very good friend of mine who practiced a form of Hinduism and was teh propiator of the store was talking to me about cleansing cards, etc. He had a good point about energy. Believing that everything and everyone has the same universal energy running through them therefore the energy is all the same. I have very rarely found any "negative" or "bad" residual energy left behind. Sometimes I will do a cleansing if I feel that my own connection to it is having a hard time going through the "thickness" so to speak to touch the cards. But i have never really thought that there is any real reason to cleanse anything excpet a house or apartment. And that is just becuase usually there is so many people going in and out of a place and there are a lot of strong emotions and events that happen in them. The complete opposite of someone touching the cards for a reading. So me personally I dont think anyone needs to cleanse cards due to the fact that we all have the same energy running through us.

#5 Guest_kissedthepixies_*

Guest_kissedthepixies_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 July 2008 - 06:02 AM

While Raven has an interesting point I have to agree with the others on this one. It's better not to take chances. I do personally feel the difference. Maybe that's just me. But what harm can it do? None.

#6 RavenFlyer

RavenFlyer

Backwoods Witch

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,545 posts

Posted 14 July 2008 - 06:37 AM

I am just curious as to what has happened to people who have not cleansed a deck of cards. Personally, I myself, who have read for many different people sometimes as many as 8 and 9 people within 3 hours straight and never once cleansed the cards I have never experienced any problems with the readings.

Have any of you all picke up the cards and been struck third eye blind? I am curious as to what your experiences have been with uncleansed cards.

As for the OP I think if you want to use the previous owner's energies, but want a mostly clean set of cards to work with perhaps you should design your own type of cleansing for the cards that invites the postive psychic energies of the previous owner to remain and to work with your own inate abilities. I really think it is up to you and to how you feel about the cards. But honestly, there is no wrong or right answer for this. If you feel the cards are too heavy with another person's energies and you can not get a good feel of the cards or their connection to you than yes you probably should cleanse them. However, if it is not a big deal to you and you know you can work with the energy that is there already and it not interfer with how you do your readings than I think it can only help. But ultimately it is how the cards feel to you and your intuition leads you.

#7 Guest_kissedthepixies_*

Guest_kissedthepixies_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 July 2008 - 07:02 AM

I hardly expect terrible things to befall me when using someone else's cards. That's beyond superstition.

But I do find that for me, objects sometimes seem to hold onto the energy of others. When shuffling or holding my hand over the cards to sense which ones to pull, sometimes it feels like static. I cleanse decks to clear them of energy and make them easier to sense. I cleanse my own from time to time when I've used them too much or used them when I was particularly upset.

I'm not saying "everyone has to" but no harm can come to a person for doing so. It can also be a ritual of connection to a spiritual tool. That's why I would.

#8 SapphireMoon

SapphireMoon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 831 posts

Posted 14 July 2008 - 07:32 AM

[quote name='RavenFlyer']
Have any of you all picked up the cards and been struck third eye blind? I am curious as to what your experiences have been with uncleansed cards.

My experience with uncleansed cards are they feel heavy & dont give good readings, but no its a matter of choice as to cleanse or not IMO. I cleanse my cards ever so often when they feel heavy to me so I can clear the energy that has built up to much. I have had decks given to me or I bought that at first I didnt cleanse, some worked good others didnt & I had to cleanse them & build my energy to them to get good readings. I pass my hand slowly over the deck & listen to my intuition whether to cleanse or not.

Raven you actually have a good idea I think to have a ritual or spell or such to meld the good energy of the previous owner of the deck with the OP if they want the residual energy of the previous owner left on there to help.

Sapphire

#9 Guest_Rebie_*

Guest_Rebie_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 July 2008 - 01:20 PM

To be honest, if I gave a deck of my cards away, I would cleanse them best I could before I did so. I just feel that my energy is in the cards and I am connect to the cards.If someone else starts to connect and bond with the cards. Using them. Then they can be drawing from my energy too. So, either way (giving or recieving) I would cleanse them. Of course it is my personal feeling on this. As always it is what a person feels is good for them.
Rebie

#10 Guest_Tiger Lady_*

Guest_Tiger Lady_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 July 2008 - 02:25 PM

I think RF has a good point as well. I only cleansed my deck once. And put my energy into it once. I've read for people and I've had friends touch them. I still trust them and have no need to do it again. They have an energy and personality of their own that I don't want to erase. I'm just toggling thoughts in my mind. It is rather interesting to see what everyone else's point of view is though.

#11 Guest_K8tdydBel_*

Guest_K8tdydBel_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 July 2008 - 06:27 PM

I'm a baby on my traditional witch path. I do not own a deck o' tarot , yet. I know which deck I want, and have asked my husband for them. My b-day is in a couple months, so I think I'll get my deck then. I'm very anxious to try my hand at using tarot. Any suggestions on a good book to learn from?

Anyways, when I get my deck I'm def going to cleanse. I'm an empath, and pick up energies from others easily. I tend to enjoy cleansing.

I don't have any experience yet of cleansed decks vs not cleansed decks, but I do think it's up to the person. Ravenflyer feels no need to cleanse, where as Rebie and Sapphire do.

Kate

#12 Guest_kissedthepixies_*

Guest_kissedthepixies_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 July 2008 - 07:22 PM

Well, welcome to witchcraft then. :)

I'm willing to bet that you've been "witchy" for a long time too. Most of us don't just roll out of bed one day and say "hey, I'm gonna be a witch!". (lol) I think in most cases we were witches before and it's just a case of realizing and accepting it and then cultivating the "witchiness" inside of ourselves. Tarot cards and other paraphernalia don't make the witch. However they can be a lot of fun and a very good tool to strengthen our psychic abilities. They're also beautiful.

Incidently, what deck are you looking for?

#13 Guest_K8tdydBel_*

Guest_K8tdydBel_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 July 2008 - 08:05 PM

You know Kissedthepixies,

I've always been into witchcraft, but being raised in a very Christian home, it remained in my fascination closet. When I was 9-10 years old my favorite books were Dorrie the Little Witch. I bought Scott Cunningham's Encyclopedia of Magical Herbs, like 10 years back. I never did any spells or grow any herbs, I just wanted the knowledge of which herbs had which properties, and so on. My sister was the only one back then that knew I wanted to live the life of a witch. As family goes she's still the only one, and I think I've inspired her also. About 5-6 years back she told me that I scared her friends cause I told them at a party she had(Halloween I think?) that I wanted to be a witch. I laughed. I couldn't believe that people who considered themselves to be a part of the social underground to be scared of a young woman who wanted to be a witch. It must have been the look in my eyes. :grin_witch:
At the time I only knew about Wiccans, and most of them on tv and in Cali tended to wear black, and big pentagrams around their neck. It seemed more like a costume to me than a way of life, and I didn't want that. I always saw(and still do) myself living in a cottage in the woods living my life as a solitary witch.

Then I got married. My husband didn't know my feelings on witchcraft. But I am who I am no matter what label is attached to me. He knew I believe in faeries, etc. So I asked him not too long ago what he'd think of me if I started practicing witchcraft. He's an open minded easy going guy, and thought it great. He loves me.

So I feel this need to find the witchcraft path I feel in my heart. So I went to google and started googling witchcraft -wicca, etc. I looked for a couple weeks. finally I googled the correct phrase and it brought me to Sandy's thoughts on Traditional Witchcraft, and I knew I found what I sought.

So here I am.

As for the tarot, I found this beautiful Faery Oracle deck that I want. I'm very much into faeries. My wedding was a faery theme. That's why I love your name. Just love it!

Kate

#14 Guest_kissedthepixies_*

Guest_kissedthepixies_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 July 2008 - 08:13 PM

Would this happen to be Brian Froud's deck??

#15 Guest_K8tdydBel_*

Guest_K8tdydBel_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 July 2008 - 08:46 PM

You know, I have nooo clue. lol
Why do you ask?

#16 Guest_kissedthepixies_*

Guest_kissedthepixies_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 July 2008 - 09:02 PM

That's where I took my name from. One of the cards in his deck is called "The Faery who was Kissed by the Pixies".

http://www.worldoffr...acle/single.htm You can find the deck here, online. It's my favorite one. I very much do connect with the fae.

#17 Guest_K8tdydBel_*

Guest_K8tdydBel_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 July 2008 - 09:20 PM

Ummmmm, I'm not exactly sure if that's the deck or not. I have seen his work though. Very talented guy.

I too connect very much with the fae. Have you seen my little tree imp I captured on digital camera? I have it on this forum somewhere. I think I put the photos up on Share your Art, under the thread I want to share too. Probably on the second page of the thread. I sent the photos to a woman who's a part of the Faery Faith Network, and she said that the tree spirits showed themselves to me, and that she saw many tree spirits, possibly even the spirit of the tree itself. I took the pic in Yosemite, a forest in California that has old old redwoods. I drew a picture of the imp I see in the photograph. Of course I put him next to flowers in my drawing to give the drawing perspective. I think I'm going to draw soon.

I do like that deck.
Kate

#18 Guest_Rebie_*

Guest_Rebie_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 July 2008 - 02:33 AM

I'm a baby on my traditional witch path. I do not own a deck o' tarot , yet. I know which deck I want, and have asked my husband for them. My b-day is in a couple months, so I think I'll get my deck then. I'm very anxious to try my hand at using tarot. Any suggestions on a good book to learn from?

Anyways, when I get my deck I'm def going to cleanse. I'm an empath, and pick up energies from others easily. I tend to enjoy cleansing.

I don't have any experience yet of cleansed decks vs not cleansed decks, but I do think it's up to the person. Ravenflyer feels no need to cleanse, where as Rebie and Sapphire do.

Kate

I am an empath too and that is probably why I feel the need to cleanse mine.
Rebie

#19 Guest_kissedthepixies_*

Guest_kissedthepixies_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 July 2008 - 03:38 AM

I am an empath too and that is probably why I feel the need to cleanse mine.
Rebie

So am I. See the connection? :thumbsup:

We should see how many empaths feel this is important and compare to non-empaths. Maybe this is the reason. So if this is so, do people need to clean their decks and just arn't, because the empaths are picking up on something? (canary in the coal mine?) or is it just us...

#20 Tiffany

Tiffany

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 15 July 2008 - 05:11 PM

It's not that I don't want to "clean" the deck as I do smudge mine usually but not often or i'll pop them out in the full moon but they belonged to my friend who died. She read with them all the time and part of me wants to keep her around them but part of my thinks they need lifting so to speak so a ritual that blends both our energies would be fab, erm any suggestions? Sorry but i'm a real ditz!
I don't know if i'm an empath, i don't think so but I do have to be careful with me cards and if i'm healing or I can start mimicing people and their ailments until I ground and protect myself again.

Edited by Tiffany, 15 July 2008 - 05:15 PM.
bad typos