Thresholds-what do you know?

Guest K8tdydBel

Guest K8tdydBel

So last night while chatting with Startella and TigerLady, I told them about these strange occurrences that would happen to me when I was younger.

I wanted to know if they knew what was going on or if they've heard of it.

When I was a little girl I hated walking into peoples homes. When I would cross over the threshold I would feel an energy hit the top of my head, and run down my body and out my toes. What I didn't like was how my knees would buckle when it went through my legs, and the feeling of light headedness/dizziness. I never fell, but would dip, and I would look around to see if anyone noticed. I remember holding on to my mother's skirt as we'd walk through the door, hoping it would help me keep upright. But instead, my knees would buckle and I 'd end up pulling on my mom's dress. lol... She finally got tired of her little girl pulling on her dress; she told me to stop hanging on her. So that security was gone, so I turned to myself. I remember physically, and mentally bracing myself for this energy flow that always shot through me, and then I'd go ahead and walk through the threshold.

By the time I was a teenager, I could control the feeling, so much so, that it started to subside. And eventually it went away. I no longer feel that strong energy flow through me. I now wish I could feel it, and understand what I feel. Maybe use it to discern the energies of the home, etc.

Do any of you know anything about thresholds, and what I felt as a young girl? And why was I able to feel such energy, and can I get it back?

Startella, TigerLady, and I are interested in knowing more about this.

Kate:stirring:

Kids are particularly susceptible and open to spirits and energy - and you were probably just reeling in the energy of the places that you stepped into. Kids see things that we don't, and feel things that we don't. I suspect that most of us repress these images and feelings as we grow mainly due to "peer pressure" of a sort.

As to getting it back? Well... the best way that I know is to do a lot of mental "inside" work - meditate, do a bit of chakra work, really attune yourself to yourself and your environment. It takes a lot to deprogram yourself from the blocks that you have put up over the years - but I believe it's possible. I've been lucky in that I remain somewhat open (probably due to my grandmother), but I am actively working to open even wider.

Guest Landieth

Lol, this still happens to me.. Before we moved here, we were going into a LOT of open houses.. I get this feeling of electricity going through me as I step through the door, and then bam, I black out. I usually come to before I completely buckle and fall.. but it looks kinda strange still to people observing.

I think what would help you open yourself back up to it is to go to your front door, notice how you feel. Look at everything you see outside. Everthing... even the air. How does that make you feel. Step through the door and go outside. Notice how you feel there, in the open world.

Look into your house (still standing outside the door) and concentrate on everything you see past that threshold. Notice the air, you should be able to see a static looking type myst. Watch it swirl around. How does that make you feel? What do you see in it? How does THAT make you feel?

Step in, with the idea of what you have seen, and as you step past the door, keep your focus on feeling.

As far as the threshold is concerned, I think KW hit the nail on the head.

Also look up 'hypnagogic state of mind'. My psychiatrist explained to me that due to my attitude of not listening to anybody... I didn't condition myself and create boundries in my psyche to block out things that most people have blocked out growing up. Which, in his words, "This is why people see 'spiritual beings' and sense things that cannot be explained." He also went on to add his own personal thought to make me feel that I am not going crazy..

He basically stated that the study of the mind is by far, not completed.

Which gives me an idea for a thread, because I didn't know that psychology delved into this sort of thing.

But yeah.. here's a link on Wiki:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hypnagogia

And a note: Keep in mind that this is a psychiatric definition of it..

Here's an exercise I came up with to help my partner understand and 'see' what I try to talk to him about.

Dim the lights a bit, and make sure the room is absolutely quiet. No noise. It will be far easier to experience energy this way. Relax your mind, relax your muscles... relax your eyes. Look around the room, and relax your eyes a little more and be open to everything. Look at a spot with one shade of color. Keep your gaze on this spot. What do you see around the room and in the air? Let your eyes adjust a little more, and blink if you need to. It will not make a difference. The room may get a little staticky, or look like myst, and lines may shoot around the room. You may even feel a tingle on your forehead. Notice where the lines come from. Are any coming from you? If they are, try to feel them. Does the static have a smell? Does it have any color to it? Try to suck some of this into your mouth. Does it have a taste? Can you hear anything? Now try to just observe. Do you see any other shapes in it?

Write down what you experience, and keep trying.

Hope this helps!!

Guest K8tdydBel

You are the first person I've ever met that has had the same experiences. Very interesting that you're also a witch and a talented artist. hmmmmmm

Guest Landieth

Lol thanks!

:)

Just be sure not to give up on getting back in tune! You might find the key to what you're looking for if you think back on what you felt when you were a kid.

Keep me updated!!

• 2 months later...

how interesting. I never got the feeling - which is unusual because most of my talent lies in feeling - but i always used to get a smell, people's houses used to smell very different and it wasn't the smell of just different cleaners etc it was the smell of the house itself or the energy of the house.

Until i met my husband no one else knew what i was talking about and he had the same thing, no one else he knew could smell it either

Guest Landieth
how interesting. I never got the feeling - which is unusual because most of my talent lies in feeling - but i always used to get a smell, people's houses used to smell very different and it wasn't the smell of just different cleaners etc it was the smell of the house itself or the energy of the house.

Until i met my husband no one else knew what i was talking about and he had the same thing, no one else he knew could smell it either

Every sense has another side.. like 2nd sight. 2nd smell, 2nd feeling.. ya know?

It's cool you share that with you share that with your husband.. me and my OH have a few things in common too. :)

ah, that makes sense, i didn't know that until now - thanks Landieth :D

it is good to have things to share with your OH that no one else understands, makes the bond that much stronger

I dont necessarily have to walk thru the threshold to feel this & I dont feel the energy like ta'll do but its like I pick up on it outside. If its a really bad energy something in me seems to subconciously look for ways not to enter the house or room as in one case I experienced.

Back when I was cleaning houses for a living one house (a two story) I had picked up to clean. Something seemed different but couldnt place what til I walked thru the threshold & saw a vision of spirit energy all at the top circling around the ceiling of the room & then the inside of the house changed. Different curtains & furniture & rugs & people were there standing in a circle With the misty spirit energy circling up above them. I cleaned the house & as I did in some of the top rooms I was followed by a ghost & some of the knick knacks (turned out to be relics) felt with strange energy when I dusted them.

We also when my sons were young moved into a cousins house & I did everything i could to keep from going in there but finally went in then when I was cleaning my oldest sons bedroom & needed to be in what was going to be mine & my then husbands room, I felt really uncomfortable & used the excuse I needed to finish jordy's room first instead of cleaning my room (my husband & two friends were annoyed at me. They were in there cleaning & wanted my help) Anyways the closer I got to the bedroom door the more something inside me just seem to scream run away. Awfullest feeling i ever felt. But I ended up going in anyway.

Could stand it the whole time I was in there cleaning & after we moved in I slept on the couch for a long time. Hated being in that room.

Come to find out a relative of mine had died there, his wife was a very devout good christian woman but her grandchildren use to hold seanses in the house & didnt know what they were doing. & there had been a murder in the back yard before the woods grew up there.

I was so happy when we moved as the place crawled with snakes real bad to. Liked to have stepped on a baby rattler one time right at the front door. Snakes came in the house thru the windows too. Ever since I was little I felt wierd everytime we passed that house on the road now I knew why. Plus their was an old man ghost in a trench coat & what I call old man hat. Something like what forrest rangers wear. First ghost that ever appeared to me so solid & he would peek in the windows & appear at the most unexppexted times. Scared the sgit out of me & my middle son. Also in that house my sons were sleeping & a yoy car flew off yjeir dresser & hit mmy mid. son dean smack in the forehead 7 woke him up.

Sapphire

• 2 years later...

Every sense has another side.. like 2nd sight. 2nd smell, 2nd feeling.. ya know?

I realise this is a older post, but I'm drawn to it and desire to express some of my mind/muddlings. The threaders that opted to thread to the orginial post, speak of experiances from child hood to adult life, however this guest at the time Landieth raised my brow with the 2nd sight, 2nd smell, 2nd feeling, reaching back in the back of my mind I recall some stirrings. Like the omega-shaped horseshoes continues to be hung " for luck " over doorways throughout the xtian era, protecting the threshold as it did in pagan times. Continuous controversy, about whether its opening should point upward or downward. The two ways of hanging the horseshoe actually echoed the magic signs called Dragon's Head and Dragons's Tail, the ascending node and descending node, connected with the path of the moon above, and below the ecliptic, which when plotted would result in the wavy line representing the lunar serpent. Orthodox piety insisted that the omega should be reversed, so ' luck wouldn't run out ' Yet pagan tradition said the symbolic yoniform doorway should retain its original upward arch. Now when I think of myths of dieties and gods regarding the 2, I'm compelled to bring two-faced Janus the Roman god of gateways, the janitor , " gate-keeper " since the threshold is a crack between two worlds. This diety Janus was looking both ways across a threshold. In the imperial period he was identified with Jupiter under the name of Jupiter Bifrons, " Two Faced Jupiter " a name that turned up again in xtian literature 15 centuries later as one of the devil's names. Previous to the imperial period, Janus figures guarded property lines among neighboring tribes, each of which had its separate bridges, gates, and thresholds or ianus. When looking further back, one of the two faces very well could of been female, and this pair is typical of the ancient androgyne, a goddess who involved to or referenced as Mother of Time, transitioning and revolving around the " gate " of midwinter. ( January ) A medieval Neapolitan word for a witch was not that the usual Italian strega but janara, after the archaic female spirit of January.

Regards,

Gypsy

Credit Sources : The Evil Eye : Author, F. Elworthy and Sir James G. Frazer: The Golden Bough

• 5 months later...

. . . When looking further back, one of the two faces very well could of been female, and this pair is typical of the ancient androgyne, a goddess who involved to or referenced as Mother of Time, transitioning and revolving around the " gate " of midwinter. ( January ) A medieval Neapolitan word for a witch was not that the usual Italian strega but janara, after the archaic female spirit of January.

Regards,

Gypsy

Credit Sources : The Evil Eye : Author, F. Elworthy and Sir James G. Frazer: The Golden Bough

I recalled reading this post, after talking with a woman today, who described Witches as those who stand on the threshold and can see what is within, as well as what is with out. I found it interesting, because thresholds have been a popular topic of discussion lately. As we have seen from other postings, the in-between can describe, not only location, but time and experience. I have always considered thresholds to be a place of unlimited possibility or at the least a place of choices / options. Contemplating that thought, I realized that Witches often see possibilities / options that others do not see. It is not that other people do not see the options, they are just less inclined to act upon them in multiple levels of understanding.

For example, when the mundane stand in a doorway, they see only "in" or "out"; whereas, a Witch knows how much more exists on either side. Of course, this ability is not unique to Witches, but this realization (that you have options) is in my opinion a great source of power.

J

I recalled reading this post, after talking with a woman today, who described Witches as those who stand on the threshold and can see what is within, as well as what is with out. I found it interesting, because thresholds have been a popular topic of discussion lately. As we have seen from other postings, the in-between can describe, not only location, but time and experience. I have always considered thresholds to be a place of unlimited possibility or at the least a place of choices / options. Contemplating that thought, I realized that Witches often see possibilities / options that others do not see. It is not that other people do not see the options, they are just less inclined to act upon them in multiple levels of understanding.

For example, when the mundane stand in a doorway, they see only "in" or "out"; whereas, a Witch knows how much more exists on either side. Of course, this ability is not unique to Witches, but this realization (that you have options) is in my opinion a great source of power.

J

I'm inclined to believe that " thresholds " are every where. Even in homes where we reside. Even when one puts up an " arbour " of their own hands, or comes upon a natural " arbour " made by the trees or creeping plants, when out in Nature. What I contimplate, when reading your thread Jevne, is this, when the Witch stands on the threshold, does she/he see only ahead of what's on the otherside, or does the Witch's vision incorporate the peripheral vision that occurs outside the gaze. I agree with your statement of seeing the options and choices, and taking that which is in the vision ( whether eye gate, or mind gate , a threshold again ) and tapping into that not so seen power. Just offering my own opinion as food for thought.

Regards,

Gypsy

• 1 year later...

Hello Fox,

Your thread to this Post, ushers in this thought process for me. How runner's get into their "zone", possibly ? Or when Witchs dance in circles from what the old texts tell us, that stomping or " tramping " the earth in a unison of sorts. Or when one just spins about for a time, I'm not sure you ever "twirled", but I sure have. LoL !

I could entertain the thought of how a Witch could stir up the Elements of Air and Earth, and find themselves with feet in the Otherworld, just by the synchronized rhythems of the physical stepping. What has swung before began to stutter and syncopate in ways that felt both ancient and completely new.

Interesting to me..

Regards,

Gypsy

Hello Fox,

Well I'm recalling some sort of Asian people, maybe those Tibetian Monks, who can come into themselves and run and not tire that would/do put Olympic Atheletes to shame, these same Monks can sit out in the freezing Tibetian mountain tops and not have any trace of hypothermia on them, and they sit out for hours and sometimes days. Is it because they not only go into some physical trance, and then also reside on the Mountains, which is another Threshold ? lol !

I had to smirk abit about you dirvishing your way around your caravan.... don't knock it, as from what I've come to experiance, that smaller tighter spaces, contain huge magical properties, hence why would a Witch cast a circle or compass if that be in their Path walk ? Either outside their domain or if working out in Nature.

As far as the stomping at the door 3 times, I've not heard of that, but I do have recall as to Witches either open their castings with sound, or close down their castings with sounds. Personally, I wait for a sound outside my natural realm, like a bird call or something more in nature, the whoosh of wind, ect.

I still stand on my orginal premise that " thresholds " are everywhere a Witch would look.

Regards,

Gypsy

Hello :smile:

I hadnt thought about runners but as you say that seems just as likely as well-any repetitive, possibly with strenuousness involved, action, i would imagine would do the trick. With regard to circle dancing that too would do it as well. I was talking to one of the Turkish cab drivers the other day (he's an "Allouwi"-im not sure how to spell it, but its a sect of Islam in south western Turkey; i believe theyre involved in the Syrian mess just now) and we got talking about his sect and i mentioned the Sufi's. Anyway, according to him some of the Dervish are of his sect but he didnt think the "Whirling Dervish" were. Anyway (i got tangented there, sorry), obviously the Dervish used the whirling technique to enter a "frenzied trance" which i guess you could say would be the purpose of European witch or shaman or whatever circling. Ive not done it myself but have encountered the altered state situation as i described Mr O'Connor had ie when walking. The biggest difference i think that you highlight is that one form is spontaneous and uncontrolled whereas the twirling/circling would be done with intent and purpose. I should try it (not in the caravan though-crockery is pricey,lol). The liminal state of the mind without being in a physical liminal place has happened to me on occassion when driving a long distance at night. Ive "come to" not knowing where i was on the road and realised 30 or so miles had passed. Phantom trucks and cars ive also seen in similar situations. These of course are all uncontrolled unlike the method you mention.

You probably know better than i do, but isnt there a tradition of stamping 3 times on the ground when entering a physical "place" where one intends to work or merely contemplate-sort of announcing your arrival?

The whole threshold/ liminal place thing is very interesting, i agree which is why the hedge/stream boundary around villages and so on seems so evocative and powerful.

On a lighter note, caravan sites are supposed to be "hot spots" of modern day spontaneous phenomena and account for a considerable percentage of various "sightings" in Britain by all accounts. Ive yet to experience this where i am although im supoosedly sited on the Mary Ley line of Michael/Mary fame that stretches from Cornwall, through Glastonbury, Avebury to the north Sea coast. In fact it does dowse remarkably strongly, especially down one side of the old church across the road :smile:

This driving trance has happened to me almost everyday in the last week. I currently live very close to the native american reservation here and its a hot spot of otherworldly activity. Every time I try to find my turn off at night, which is right on the edge of the rez, I space out until I'm well past the reservation which is about 10-15 miles or so. With each passing day I snap out of it faster but the first time it happened I was in the next town before I realized it and snapped out of it.

• 4 weeks later...

Somewhere in the 600 pages of the Encyclopedia of Superstitions, Folklore, and the Occult Sciences (1903) is a reference to trapping spirits between the door and the door post. I am wondering if this is a reference to trapping them in the threshold? I recall hearing something along theses lines a long time ago, but it is not something mine have direct knowledge of. Being an advocate for spirit / ghost rights :) , I am not inclined to do it, but I am curious.

In part of my preparing for winter I put tangled threads on my windows and doors (thresholds) to protect my home during the season. Things can be trapped within the webs to keep them from passing into your house. In the end the charm done with the threads was what to let in and what to be a barrier against as someone pointed out to me that it could be an interesting winter if I get something I don't want in my house "stuck and bound" in those threads in the window all season, lol. But yes, I believe one can trap something in/at a threshold and be stuck there until released.

M

Michele with what you've done with threads, I've done with the use of doilies on window panes, mirrors..ect.

Regards,

Gypsy

Archived