Coast to Coast AM: Christian Day (+ an opinion)

Guest kissedthepixies

Guest kissedthepixies

Did anyone happen to catch this on the radio last night? I was up pretty late as usual (I happen to be a bit of a night owl) when I saw that on Coast to Coast they were going to have a Witchcraft double header. The guests for the evening were Fiona Horne and Christian Day. I tuned in kinda late and didn't happen to hear Fiona's spot on the show but I did get a listen to Christian and actually found myself impressed with his downtoearth approach and realistic potrayal which wasn't the usual "Wiccan PR" sort of mainstreaming. He did and excellent job I felt.

I've never heard of Christian Day before now, so I don't know how the community perceives him. For a long time I've sort of been "out of the loop" as far as anything beyond my own personal practice, so it was nice to hear the viewpoint of another Witch who isn't a Wiccan. I especially appreciated the point he made about witches not being like everyone else.

It was done without ego and with a recognition of how unusual we are.

This was one of my main frustrations with the Wiccan community, writers and celebs - the "we're just like everyone else". IMO, nothing we do as Witches makes us "just like everyone else." Yes we are human and we live in western culture but Witchcraft is a rare practice- the use of spells to bend and change the world around you, speaking with those passed over, divination and herbalism are not typical things. These are statistically unusual. Dare I sare it, these abilities we've honed in ourselves make us more powerful than the everyday fellow. *ducks rotten tomatoes*

What are everyone elses thoughts on Christian Day?

Are we just like everyone else or should we embrace being unusual as a part of our identity?

Did anyone happen to catch this on the radio last night? I was up pretty late as usual (I happen to be a bit of a night owl) when I saw that on Coast to Coast they were going to have a Witchcraft double header. The guests for the evening were Fiona Horne and Christian Day. I tuned in kinda late and didn't happen to hear Fiona's spot on the show but I did get a listen to Christian and actually found myself impressed with his downtoearth approach and realistic potrayal which wasn't the usual "Wiccan PR" sort of mainstreaming. He did and excellent job I felt.

I've never heard of Christian Day before now, so I don't know how the community perceives him. For a long time I've sort of been "out of the loop" as far as anything beyond my own personal practice, so it was nice to hear the viewpoint of another Witch who isn't a Wiccan. I especially appreciated the point he made about witches not being like everyone else.

It was done without ego and with a recognition of how unusual we are.

This was one of my main frustrations with the Wiccan community, writers and celebs - the "we're just like everyone else". IMO, nothing we do as Witches makes us "just like everyone else." Yes we are human and we live in western culture but Witchcraft is a rare practice- the use of spells to bend and change the world around you, speaking with those passed over, divination and herbalism are not typical things. These are statistically unusual. Dare I sare it, these abilities we've honed in ourselves make us more powerful than the everyday fellow. *ducks rotten tomatoes*

What are everyone elses thoughts on Christian Day?

Are we just like everyone else or should we embrace being unusual as a part of our identity?

I'll be honest with you here...Finona is (in my opinion) a fucking idiot sucking good air from other humans who could put much better use to it :)

As for the other guy...hhmmm...haven't heard of him and if he is remotely associated with the other twit I highly doubt I would give him the decent chance to cross the street while I have my foot on the gas petal :)

I cant say that I've ever heard of either of them, therefore cant offer an opinion.

(quote)What are everyone elses thoughts on Christian Day?

I embrace who I am. I notice how people react to me, whether I'm just doing the weekly shopping or in a crowded city. People stare, sometimes pretty overtly ( not in leering kind of way either). Its almost like, curiosity? Luckily, I'm rarely approached. My energy is clearly different than the average joe <shrug>, its just me. The truth of the matter is that I will never be able to just fit in or act like everyone else and that's ok.

Guest Tiger Lady

For some reason, the moment I saw this question I thought of Lida on Beetlejuice and a particular quote from her -->

I am the strange and unusual.

I've been different all my life, in all sorts of areas or walks, and when I became a young adult - I actually started to embrace it. I realized that people respected me for being me and not fake. And those that didn't - fuck 'em, their jealous anyway. So I guess the witchy side of me feels the same way. Of course, no one knows although I expect several people have figured it out on their own. All they have to do is walk past my bedroom. But no one has pointed it out. I like the fact that as a witch I feel much freer than most of society does. And being free opens up a lot, including in the bed. :wink:

I don't really know who Christian Day is. I'm not good with figuring out who is who in society rings. I do know who Fiona Horne is - she is the celebrity Wiccan, I believe. I don't have much of an opinion of her. Probably because she's flaunty.

Guest kissedthepixies
I'll be honest with you here...Finona is (in my opinion) a fucking idiot sucking good air from other humans who could put much better use to it :)

As for the other guy...hhmmm...haven't heard of him and if he is remotely associated with the other twit I highly doubt I would give him the decent chance to cross the street while I have my foot on the gas petal :)

Yeah I don't think much of Fiona Horne. I don't know many people who do.

Christian Day isn't affiliated with her though, I know that much from listening to the show. They're two seperate kinds of witches. One was a wiccan and the other seemed to be representing traditional witchcraft. He did state he doesn't believe in the threefold law or the concept of karma and was discussing hexes and how you need to be responsible for your choices when it comes to magic and especially hexing. I was really rather impressed. Atleast I'm not the first one not to know who he is.

Guest kissedthepixies

His name is a bit ironic. I think if I became a witch I'd wanna change my name from Christian too! LOL

His mother named him Christian for two reasons: because he was born on Christmas Day, and because she liked it; it's a character in Mutiny on the Bounty.

Surely you're not judging the man on his name?

I do agree that it is a bit ironic and I might consider changing it, IF my mother hadn't put so much thought into it. Obviously it meant something to her, so it means something to him. ;)

Edited by Cairelle

Guest kissedthepixies

:rolleyes_witch: Yes, I am.

I meant if I was someone else I probably would have changed my name. It just confuses the locals.

Sorry. I thought that was obvious.

I suppose if the name had a sentimental meaning behind it I'd think twice though. My folks just picked a name out of the baby book. I've already changed my name once. I wasn't fond of what they were calling me. So I put a stop to that when I was 12.

Just to add my two cents here before heading back out for a long day of diving and stuff...I think the name Christian is actually a pretty name (ok...handsome for the fellas!).

I don't have anything against the name.

***and YES I did wake up on the happy side of the bed thank you very much sis! LOL!!!

Ok gotta head back out to swim with the fishes LOL!

Guest K8tdydBel

I have a membership to Coast to Coast Am with George Noory, streamlink. I'm actually in the middle of the interview with Fiona, and Christian. I like the name Christian for a guy. I knew a french canadien guy named Christian. I think it's a sexy name.

Anyways....

Fiona, I only half listened to what she was saying, cause I was also reading. She did say, however, that she doesn't consider herself a Wiccan; that she's more of an eclectic witch. Fiona, and Christian do know each other, they go to the Witches Ball together etc... they were talking about it when Fiona was on. And they seem like they know each other pretty well from the tone of the interview.

One thing Christian Day said that kind of irritated me. He said, " Witchcraft is a career. It is a life path... A witch is a role that we play, and if you're a witch ... remember the people you serve. Because if you're not serving humanity in some way, with your magick, you're losing touch with the ancient role of the witch. We're there to help people. We're not simply there to serve ourselves. Although it's okay to better your life with magick, but you have to remember, that it's the people we serve. And that's an ancient role."

He talks about his shop/store Hex, and how people come to him for spells etc.

What annoys me about what he said is that he made it seem as though selling spells to people in your shop is serving humanity like the witches did hundreds of years ago, unlike those of us who practice on our own, and may not even let many people know we're witches. Makes me feel that in his eyes I'm not in touch with my ancestors cause I don't sell my skill. Oh sorry I mean "serve" my spells/gifts with people. I think it's great if one gets to use their craft to help others, but for some it's not always feasible. I think it depends on what is going on with your life at the time.

They do talk about intent and will.

Christian also said he believes witches are born.

One thing Christian Day said that kind of irritated me. He said, " Witchcraft is a career. It is a life path... A witch is a role that we play, and if you're a witch ... remember the people you serve. Because if you're not serving humanity in some way, with your magick, you're losing touch with the ancient role of the witch. We're there to help people. We're not simply there to serve ourselves. Although it's okay to better your life with magick, but you have to remember, that it's the people we serve. And that's an ancient role."

He talks about his shop/store Hex, and how people come to him for spells etc.

What annoys me about what he said is that he made it seem as though selling spells to people in your shop is serving humanity like the witches did hundreds of years ago, unlike those of us who practice on our own, and may not even let many people know we're witches. Makes me feel that in his eyes I'm not in touch with my ancestors cause I don't sell my skill. Oh sorry I mean "serve" my spells/gifts with people. I think it's great if one gets to use their craft to help others, but for some it's not always feasible. I think it depends on what is going on with your life at the time.

Yeah, I'm not feeling that either. I don't feel that my witchy purpose is to "serve" humanity - well, not all of it. I do have a personal sense of service to people as a whole, hence my career choice of nursing, and I'm sure that spills over into my witchy path, but that is not everyone's choice.

Being a witch is not a "career"... what a bunch of hogwash. It IS a life path, but not one that obligates us to help others. That is solely a personal choice.

:ani_witch_moon:

Guest kissedthepixies

I actually never heard that part of it. That's some interesting things there. I tuned in only to a part of it due to circumstances, hence my asking the community about it.

I think witchcraft WAS a career but no longer is. I also think that a career and a life path can be different things these days, however throughout history this hasn't always been the case. Your career was often also connected to your caste and your life path and everything else about you.

I don't think we should have to serve humanity in some way. I think it's a good idea to help others when you can but it shouldn't be required. Then it's not sincere.

Edited by kissedthepixies

Guest K8tdydBel
BTW, K8tdydBel - I liked your post, and I'd like to see more reflective and opinionated posting like that from you. :thumbsup:

LOL Thanks KitchenWitch. I'm actually very opinionated person. Most the time though it's about politics, and social issues. And don't get me started on the whole Anthropogenic Global Warming. :sickwitch: Or the banking system. etc...

Like you once told me, I have a "busy mind" LOL

Kate

Most of humanity can kiss my ass, thank you very much, Mr. Day. I'll choose who, when, and how I'll help people based on my own personal criteria.

If I want to "serve" someone, I'll throw a damn dinner party.

*cranky little witch today*