Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Guest Tiger Lady

The Rabbit

No morgana , she's not whacko ...just very very sane and out to make money!!!!:upset:

I nearly wet myself laughing when I was searching the freelance job boards the other day and they were looking for someone to ghost write horoscopes for an american paper. {apparently astrologist training was not a requirement}

Yes good point greenfeet , that's why I tend to leave the spirit helper arena alone {I do talk to bees but that's more an asking favours thing and occasional boredom , my OH is not a great conversationalist}

Guest Tiger Lady

While what we are talking about here, an individual's spirit connection to an animal, is more commonly refered to in Indian circles as your "spirit helper" when English is used.

I am not mentioning this to correct anyone, just explaining why I refer to it differently. And also so maybe folks will understand that if you talk to Indians, someone may take exception to your use of the word "totem."

I see it alot, pagan folks get excited about something and then in conversing with Indians do not recognise cultural differences and get confused or upset because of misunderstandings that result. So just be aware of that cultural difference.)

Sometimes I refer to it as a totem and sometimes a spirit guide. Its nice to know the differences in various circles because being a solitary witch sometimes I pronounce Sabbats wrong and so forth. I actually keep a definition section in the front of my grimoire for such things. Thanks Greenfeet.

I have always called them spirit guides being part native american, which is where I actually started my path. I have always felt a strong bond with the wolf and bear, which is why I have tattoos of both. Oh, and a tiger!!! My father told me that I reminded him of his mom who was Cherokee. She told him that he would have a child that would be carry the spirits of both the bear and wolf. Guess who?!?! And would walk a different path. Guess who again?!?!

Its just weird to me that all of a sudden that animals would be over-attracted to me. The rabbits here are in overabundance so you see them all the time. The other nite I was sitting on the front porch and a raccon waddled thru my front yard with 5 feet of me. I also have a cardinal that loves to bother me when I'm outside or he decides that I've slept too late in the morning. He's even sat on my windowsill and screeched at me at 530 in the morning.

Last year there was a hawk, which is rare in this area, always flying around whenever I was outside. Didn't matter if I was at work or home (I work 1 mile from home and its a straight shot). I knew it was the same hawk.

Now I will actually be more aware of whats around me and whats trying to get my attention. I will even do some meditation on this also.

Thanks for all the info. :party0016:

Guest Tiger Lady
I have always called them spirit guides being part native american, which is where I actually started my path. I have always felt a strong bond with the wolf and bear, which is why I have tattoos of both. Oh, and a tiger!!! My father told me that I reminded him of his mom who was Cherokee. She told him that he would have a child that would be carry the spirits of both the bear and wolf. Guess who?!?! And would walk a different path. Guess who again?!?!

Its just weird to me that all of a sudden that animals would be over-attracted to me. The rabbits here are in overabundance so you see them all the time. The other nite I was sitting on the front porch and a raccon waddled thru my front yard with 5 feet of me. I also have a cardinal that loves to bother me when I'm outside or he decides that I've slept too late in the morning. He's even sat on my windowsill and screeched at me at 530 in the morning.

Last year there was a hawk, which is rare in this area, always flying around whenever I was outside. Didn't matter if I was at work or home (I work 1 mile from home and its a straight shot). I knew it was the same hawk.

Now I will actually be more aware of whats around me and whats trying to get my attention. I will even do some meditation on this also.

Thanks for all the info. :party0016:

That is very neat Morgana and I wish you the best of luck in figuring out your spirit guides. I more or less called it a search in finding myself. I've learned a lot about myself since I started the journey to learn about my guides. I definitely think you have it in you to discover them on your own.

Guest K8tdydBel

Morgana and everyone,

I have Cherokee ancestry too, on my father's side. I come from a Tenn. clan. Unfortunately we don't know which clan, but we have a good idea.

I too, along with my husband attract wild and domesticated animals. My mom used to tease me, saying that all the strays in the neighborhood must have spread the word that if they come to our house, I'll feed them.

Cats also love my husband. Cats, and rabbits. He just loves domesticated cats.

I want to know my animal totems as well. I've been contemplating taking a meditative journey. How do you find out which animal is your birth animal?

I also as of late, have had crows around me. When my husband was sick in the hospital, I had went outside the psych ward to wait for my cab. (this was last June) I'm standing in the alley way, and it's getting dark when a crow from across the street flies over to the light post next to me and just starts

........LOL my dog is dreaming right now....barking and growling in his sleep. It's sooo cute when he does that.......

Anyways, he starts squawking at me, and then dive bombs me. Ok that was strange. Then he keeps staring at me from across the street, then flies back over towards me, dive bombing me again then starts squawking again.

Then a second crow flies over and starts admonishing the crow that was pestering me. But that one crow was staring at me the whole time. So I know this means something, and I get chills running through me, so I decided to leave the alley way and go to the ER and wait for a new cab.

Since then crows have been close by. I guess though, Vancouver has been having problems with crows dive bombing people. This was more than just a dive bombing. This crow was talking to me. I mean staring at me and just squawking away.

As animals go, I love all animals. My sister used to call me Elmira from Tiny Toons. I love deer though, and when I was little I was obsessed with unicorns. I drew them all the time. I had my mom get me unicorn sheets, and my uncle got me a poster with a unicorn. I love horses, but I fear their power, so riding them kinda puts me on edge. But I love their smell, and I always want to feed and touch them.

How would you determine what animal is your totem or spirit guide when all animals fascinate you?

there are also a set of cards I enjoy called Medicine Cards. It uses animal totems. It has helped me find certain totems that are just there for a cetain time of my life.

I have the deck & two books, the old book & the new book of them.

thanks GF for the clarification. Always good to learn something new.

Sapphire

Guest Landieth

I've pointed out that Hawks are mine. For one, I usually don't go to far across creation if I don't see a hawk flyin above my me within 15-20 minutes of driving. And if I see one, it's a definate yes that I'm going to see more. If I do continue out I seem to wind up getting pulled over, coming close to a car wreck, or my plans that day will turn out being a bad idea.

The way I figured mine out is that it 'spoke' to me.. not necissarily speaking/talking but a very special feeling in my heart about it, and gut feelings when I see it.

My sacred animal is the hare, if I ever see one I know something 'big' will happen either spiritually or in my everyday life. The hare brings the chocolate eggs for Ostara in our housemoon-hare.jpgHare and the moon.

Is a hare a jackrabbit in US. The spider also means a lot to me, unfortunately I have to hoover them up in my job :( , I may have to just leave them though as its upsetting me.

Guest K8tdydBel

I forgot to mention, I love elephants. That's the only animal I have in terms of nick nackish stuff. I have a stuffed elephant, and an elephant lamp. I have a lot of cat figurines, but those were all given to me, so I treasure them because of who gave them to me.

ohhh excellent been getting quite a few rabbits jump out at me 3 times now, so will read all the info and see if it applies

Great :D thanks everyone x

Sort of on the same line but does anyone know what a whacking great big yellow dragon fly type thing means {not sure it was a dragon fly because it's as long as the top of my thumb to the base of my hand }

It's also really loud {makes a noise like blowing over a comb}

I've got a lemon eucalyptus tree in a pot in my sitting room and I keep coming in to see this sat on it , it's like it looks at me then flys out the window..

I'm wondering if it's a message to say that we'll be leaving soon ??:eheheh:

Guest Tiger Lady
I have the deck & two books, the old book & the new book of them.

thanks GF for the clarification. Always good to learn something new.

Sapphire

I like the druid animal oracle for the same reasons. Every now and then I ask the Oracle, especially when there is a change in my life, what spirit guide would best suit me and then I hang it on the mirror to remind me. Two days ago I pulled the reverse Crane. This let me know i should follow my gut instincts. Which right now - great advice.

Spinney - I think the jackrabbit and the hare are the same thing hear. Let me see if I can find out on the web.... I guess they are, at least according to a wikipedia definition

Hares and jackrabbits are leporids belonging to the genus Lepus

Soapfairy - that is interesting. I wonder what it is. I'm going to see if I can find some pictures of yellow dragonflies.

I realize K8tdy is no longer a member, but she did ask a good question that I wanted to comment on in case anyone else is interested.

In many American Indian traditions if you ask an elder "who is my spirit animal?" they will tell you to "go up on the hill." Meaning to go on a Vision Quest- go to a remote place and fast and pray on it for the answer.

Now I know many of you follow a more European traditions path, but I think the answer does have some relativity to traditional witches. Because basically the Indian elders are saying you cannot get the answer from a person, go ask the spirits yourself!

Morgana and everyone,

I have Cherokee ancestry too, on my father's side. I come from a Tenn. clan. Unfortunately we don't know which clan, but we have a good idea.

How would you determine what animal is your totem or spirit guide when all animals fascinate you?

Guest Tiger Lady
I realize K8tdy is no longer a member, but she did ask a good question that I wanted to comment on in case anyone else is interested.

In many American Indian traditions if you ask an elder "who is my spirit animal?" they will tell you to "go up on the hill." Meaning to go on a Vision Quest- go to a remote place and fast and pray on it for the answer.

Now I know many of you follow a more European traditions path, but I think the answer does have some relativity to traditional witches. Because basically the Indian elders are saying you cannot get the answer from a person, go ask the spirits yourself!

I've heard that during this quest, you should not readily except the first spirit to appear. And that the elders will know if you did just that. You should still remain thankful, and state such, that it appeared to you but to say that your going to stay a bit longer until you receive your spirit guide. You will know when the correct animal does appear. That's just what I've read.

Interesting.. I have no real idea which mine would be.

I don't imagine just because I happen to be fond of certain popular animals, that would be it, would it? Does that make it more likely, or less likely somehow?

I've always thought wolves were gorgeous, and ravens /crows always held a fascination for me too - but then those are typical, if not stereotypical, goth and new age symbols (well, I guess there's a reason for that ;))

OOOOhhh careful grym , straying into black eye-liner territory there.

I've just found out from me da that it's an emperor dragon fly , apparently they can get even bigger but they are usually blue :stars: wouldn't fancy seeing this thing bigger because although it's pretty it looks a bit like a pre-historic throwback ..

I'll try and get a photo next time but it seems to know when I'm coming in the room because it goes very quickly.

Guest Tiger Lady

I did see some yellow dragonflies on the web, some where black striped but I don't remember one being called an emperor dragon fly. I'd love to see the picture. Is your gut feeling still that its a moving thing? From what I read they are fascinating because they rule both the water and air element. Which roughly translates to in the beginning they are rulers of emotion who change into creatures of great control and mental clarity.

I am no expert, and this may be something I learned that is only popular in one tribe, that your totem animal is the animal that you need to learn the lessons of. Not the animal that catches your eye or is your favorite pet, like some Llewellyn books teach.

For example, I was told by a shaman that my totem is an owl... apparently, one of the lessons I need to learn is silence. :jawdrop: Who would have thunk it? But that also I am good at studying.

Oh yeah , its definatly an emperor dragon fly just by the size of the thing , unless it's some sort of cross breed :stirring:

Hmm , I'm not sure , I think it's a change thing but I don't know..

Owls can certainly be quiet, but they are not the brightest spark in the fire, contrary to popular belief.

We have a lot of large blue dragonflies down at the pond near me....I don't know much about them, but I love watching them, they are so graceful