- - - - -

The Rabbit

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
44 replies to this topic

#21 Guest_Tiger Lady_*

Guest_Tiger Lady_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 July 2008 - 06:50 PM

Yes, Morgana you can have several animal spirits/totems. I've wrote mine down as an example.

My power totem/feminine side is the Tiger
The power totem that walks on my masculine side is the snow leopard
My birth totem is the snake
Messenger totem the crow
Directional totem the bear
Healing totem the moth

My power totems have always been with me. They will walk with me from this life unto the next and all my past lives. My birth totem is determined by the month I was born. Like the zodiac. The Native American belief is that we chose to incarnate under a certain animal spirit to learn from what we need to learn in this life. It will change from life to life. The directional totem is attached to my birth totem. I find the bear very intriguing since I figured him out before I discovered he was my directional totem. The fact the bears hibernate in the winter kind of goes along with the fact that I've had SAD (Seasonal Affective Disorder) since I was quite young. Which brings me to another point - that I should really discuss later. Messenger totems change as frequently as we need them to change. The crow is significant to what I'm dealing with right now and need him for. The moth is an odd totem for in the fact that it seems to sacrifice itself in my candles when I'm doing healing rituals for myself. This has happened when I'm inside, outside, in a completely different location several hours from my home and so forth. Its always a white moth.

I discovered my totems myself. I also did a Numerology comparison with each animal and discovered some neat things. Like my masculine power totem has the same number as my husband. Maybe that's why we are so compatable.

#22 Morgana

Morgana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,006 posts

Posted 09 July 2008 - 07:11 PM

And may I ask how you go about learning your animals? This is a new area for me. I just assumed that your favorite animals were your totems. Which is one reason I never looked into them before. :lalala:
Earth as Body become Me
Air as Life breathe through Me
Fire as Spirit consume Me
Water as Blood flow through Me
Spirit as Guide lead Me

#23 RavenFlyer

RavenFlyer

Backwoods Witch

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,563 posts

Posted 10 July 2008 - 01:01 AM

I discovered my totem by going through a guided mediation with a fellow witch. I also for as long as I can remember being followed around by my totem (the crow). No matter where I would go there would be a crow perched within arms length. Particulary when I would have a bad day I could walk off into the woods (when I lived with myparents who owned 8 acres of woodland behiind our house) and sit down and cry/or whatever and a crow would land and just watch me. I started talking to them and then started feelinkg better not long after they flew away into the sky.

there are also a set of cards I enjoy called Medicine Cards. It uses animal totems. It has helped me find certain totems that are just there for a cetain time of my life.

#24 Guest_Tiger Lady_*

Guest_Tiger Lady_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 July 2008 - 12:25 PM

Morgana - It actually took me a lifetime well almost 30 years to start figuring mine out. It should have been obvious that the tiger was a power totem but it wasn't. When I was young I emmulated the tiger in a lot of role playing when my brother and i were young. Its kind of embarrassing, I don't usually like talking about it. I collected pictures, well... I abnormally collected pictures and until about 4 years ago I still had them all. My husband doesn't believe in having stuff like that, he feels its like collecting clutter - so I reluctantly got rid of them all. When I was a teenager I drew the tiger over and over. There was something about her that I just couldn't shake. When I got older, I decided that a goal in my lifetime would be to work with the endangered tigers. And my decision to become a wildlife biologist will help me move in that direction. Its still my dream. I'm sometimes hestitant to talk about my power totems because they are big cats. Your power totem doesn't have to be big, mine just is. I find that I don't have to emulate my power totems or any of my other totems - they are me and I am them. They are a part of my personality. My mom labeled me bipolar a long time ago. But after studying my totems in depth, I kind of wander if its not so much a disability as it is - me. Look in depth at my totems and you will see that I am very passionate. Which is good and bad. I'm an emotional rollercoaster. But by discovering my totems - it has helped me get a grasp on who I am.

The snow leopard was a creature that I knew as soon as I saw it. Its hard to explain but I knew what it was without asking and I was extremely admirous of him. It goes beyond just being my favorite animal. I did do some meditational journeys to figure out both and to be sure. I've spent almost 2 years dedicated to totems.

The crow turns up in my Druid Animal Oracle, in just about every reading. He turned up in my reading last night to confirm the message the rabbit was sending. The crow is a sign of initiation, new beginnings. The rabbit was telling me that something is about to change in my life and that I need to accept it. The crow is telling me that new beginnings are indeed coming. The crow not only shows up in my readings but I also tend to have real life encounters when the cosmos are trying to tell me something. The crow has been so loud in sending me messages that its dropped a feather in my path, which is currently attached to my wand, and it has dived in front of my car on several occassions. I always know when its time for another reading. He is a messenger totem but since my life is ever changing and I'm ever evolving - its part of my personality and matches the snake totem, I think the crow is going to be with me the rest of my life.

If you still yourself and listen to the animal spirits, they seem to reveal themselves on their own. It takes a lot of meditation and patience in some instances and then its like 'oh duh, it could have conked me in the head! Its been in front of me this whole time. I should have known..." That's the way the tiger felt for me. Your rabbits may be the exact same thing Morgana.

Sorry for the long windedness.

#25 Greenfeet

Greenfeet

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 281 posts

Posted 10 July 2008 - 02:00 PM

I have several animal spirit helpers.

One is my main helper. It took me a long time to recognise it as my animal spirit helper. It took people saying over and over " no that is NOT normal having them around all the time doing stuff like that!" What did I know, they have always been around since I can remember? LOL!

Another animal spirit helper comes consistantly with a specific message type and with help for this area of problems specifically. That one was so obvious because it was the same message over and over that I figured this one out first.

Others come and go. Some have come with one time messages, warnings, assistance etc. A couple others come occationally over the years with a certain type of specific message or help with a specific problem (protection, relationship issues, warnings of death, etc).

(Note: Why I do not use the term "totem." Totem is a word used for this type of thing in pagan circles, but it is not the word used for this in the American Indian community I am part of. Among Indians, especially of the Pacific Northwest, "totem" is a family crest, it is hereditary, it is literally your ancestor. It is not an individual thing, it is something you inherit as part of the family or clan. In these cultures use of another family's totem is very inappropriate.

While what we are talking about here, an individual's spirit connection to an animal, is more commonly refered to in Indian circles as your "spirit helper" when English is used.

I am not mentioning this to correct anyone, just explaining why I refer to it differently. And also so maybe folks will understand that if you talk to Indians, someone may take exception to your use of the word "totem."

I see it alot, pagan folks get excited about something and then in conversing with Indians do not recognise cultural differences and get confused or upset because of misunderstandings that result. So just be aware of that cultural difference.)

#26 soap fairy

soap fairy

fluffy chaos instigator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,200 posts

Posted 10 July 2008 - 07:42 PM

No morgana , she's not whacko ...just very very sane and out to make money!!!!:upset:
I nearly wet myself laughing when I was searching the freelance job boards the other day and they were looking for someone to ghost write horoscopes for an american paper. {apparently astrologist training was not a requirement}
Yes good point greenfeet , that's why I tend to leave the spirit helper arena alone {I do talk to bees but that's more an asking favours thing and occasional boredom , my OH is not a great conversationalist}

:cloud9: floating through life on a cloud of bubbles

#27 Guest_Tiger Lady_*

Guest_Tiger Lady_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 July 2008 - 08:47 PM

While what we are talking about here, an individual's spirit connection to an animal, is more commonly refered to in Indian circles as your "spirit helper" when English is used.

I am not mentioning this to correct anyone, just explaining why I refer to it differently. And also so maybe folks will understand that if you talk to Indians, someone may take exception to your use of the word "totem."

I see it alot, pagan folks get excited about something and then in conversing with Indians do not recognise cultural differences and get confused or upset because of misunderstandings that result. So just be aware of that cultural difference.)

Sometimes I refer to it as a totem and sometimes a spirit guide. Its nice to know the differences in various circles because being a solitary witch sometimes I pronounce Sabbats wrong and so forth. I actually keep a definition section in the front of my grimoire for such things. Thanks Greenfeet.

#28 Morgana

Morgana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,006 posts

Posted 10 July 2008 - 10:51 PM

I have always called them spirit guides being part native american, which is where I actually started my path. I have always felt a strong bond with the wolf and bear, which is why I have tattoos of both. Oh, and a tiger!!! My father told me that I reminded him of his mom who was Cherokee. She told him that he would have a child that would be carry the spirits of both the bear and wolf. Guess who?!?! And would walk a different path. Guess who again?!?!

Its just weird to me that all of a sudden that animals would be over-attracted to me. The rabbits here are in overabundance so you see them all the time. The other nite I was sitting on the front porch and a raccon waddled thru my front yard with 5 feet of me. I also have a cardinal that loves to bother me when I'm outside or he decides that I've slept too late in the morning. He's even sat on my windowsill and screeched at me at 530 in the morning.

Last year there was a hawk, which is rare in this area, always flying around whenever I was outside. Didn't matter if I was at work or home (I work 1 mile from home and its a straight shot). I knew it was the same hawk.

Now I will actually be more aware of whats around me and whats trying to get my attention. I will even do some meditation on this also.

Thanks for all the info. :party0016:

Earth as Body become Me
Air as Life breathe through Me
Fire as Spirit consume Me
Water as Blood flow through Me
Spirit as Guide lead Me

#29 Guest_Tiger Lady_*

Guest_Tiger Lady_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 July 2008 - 12:00 AM

I have always called them spirit guides being part native american, which is where I actually started my path. I have always felt a strong bond with the wolf and bear, which is why I have tattoos of both. Oh, and a tiger!!! My father told me that I reminded him of his mom who was Cherokee. She told him that he would have a child that would be carry the spirits of both the bear and wolf. Guess who?!?! And would walk a different path. Guess who again?!?!

Its just weird to me that all of a sudden that animals would be over-attracted to me. The rabbits here are in overabundance so you see them all the time. The other nite I was sitting on the front porch and a raccon waddled thru my front yard with 5 feet of me. I also have a cardinal that loves to bother me when I'm outside or he decides that I've slept too late in the morning. He's even sat on my windowsill and screeched at me at 530 in the morning.

Last year there was a hawk, which is rare in this area, always flying around whenever I was outside. Didn't matter if I was at work or home (I work 1 mile from home and its a straight shot). I knew it was the same hawk.

Now I will actually be more aware of whats around me and whats trying to get my attention. I will even do some meditation on this also.

Thanks for all the info. :party0016:

That is very neat Morgana and I wish you the best of luck in figuring out your spirit guides. I more or less called it a search in finding myself. I've learned a lot about myself since I started the journey to learn about my guides. I definitely think you have it in you to discover them on your own.

#30 Guest_K8tdydBel_*

Guest_K8tdydBel_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 July 2008 - 09:27 PM

Morgana and everyone,

I have Cherokee ancestry too, on my father's side. I come from a Tenn. clan. Unfortunately we don't know which clan, but we have a good idea.

I too, along with my husband attract wild and domesticated animals. My mom used to tease me, saying that all the strays in the neighborhood must have spread the word that if they come to our house, I'll feed them.

Cats also love my husband. Cats, and rabbits. He just loves domesticated cats.

I want to know my animal totems as well. I've been contemplating taking a meditative journey. How do you find out which animal is your birth animal?

I also as of late, have had crows around me. When my husband was sick in the hospital, I had went outside the psych ward to wait for my cab. (this was last June) I'm standing in the alley way, and it's getting dark when a crow from across the street flies over to the light post next to me and just starts
........LOL my dog is dreaming right now....barking and growling in his sleep. It's sooo cute when he does that.......

Anyways, he starts squawking at me, and then dive bombs me. Ok that was strange. Then he keeps staring at me from across the street, then flies back over towards me, dive bombing me again then starts squawking again.
Then a second crow flies over and starts admonishing the crow that was pestering me. But that one crow was staring at me the whole time. So I know this means something, and I get chills running through me, so I decided to leave the alley way and go to the ER and wait for a new cab.

Since then crows have been close by. I guess though, Vancouver has been having problems with crows dive bombing people. This was more than just a dive bombing. This crow was talking to me. I mean staring at me and just squawking away.

As animals go, I love all animals. My sister used to call me Elmira from Tiny Toons. I love deer though, and when I was little I was obsessed with unicorns. I drew them all the time. I had my mom get me unicorn sheets, and my uncle got me a poster with a unicorn. I love horses, but I fear their power, so riding them kinda puts me on edge. But I love their smell, and I always want to feed and touch them.

How would you determine what animal is your totem or spirit guide when all animals fascinate you?

#31 SapphireMoon

SapphireMoon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 831 posts

Posted 17 July 2008 - 09:42 PM

there are also a set of cards I enjoy called Medicine Cards. It uses animal totems. It has helped me find certain totems that are just there for a cetain time of my life.

I have the deck & two books, the old book & the new book of them.

thanks GF for the clarification. Always good to learn something new.

Sapphire

#32 Guest_Landieth_*

Guest_Landieth_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 July 2008 - 12:52 AM

I've pointed out that Hawks are mine. For one, I usually don't go to far across creation if I don't see a hawk flyin above my me within 15-20 minutes of driving. And if I see one, it's a definate yes that I'm going to see more. If I do continue out I seem to wind up getting pulled over, coming close to a car wreck, or my plans that day will turn out being a bad idea.

The way I figured mine out is that it 'spoke' to me.. not necissarily speaking/talking but a very special feeling in my heart about it, and gut feelings when I see it.

#33 spinney

spinney

Local hedge witch

• Moderators
  • 2,660 posts

Posted 18 July 2008 - 08:45 AM

My sacred animal is the hare, if I ever see one I know something 'big' will happen either spiritually or in my everyday life. The hare brings the chocolate eggs for Ostara in our housePosted ImageHare and the moon.

Is a hare a jackrabbit in US. The spider also means a lot to me, unfortunately I have to hoover them up in my job :( , I may have to just leave them though as its upsetting me.

Edited by spinneyhex, 18 July 2008 - 08:48 AM.

#34 Guest_K8tdydBel_*

Guest_K8tdydBel_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 July 2008 - 08:07 PM

I forgot to mention, I love elephants. That's the only animal I have in terms of nick nackish stuff. I have a stuffed elephant, and an elephant lamp. I have a lot of cat figurines, but those were all given to me, so I treasure them because of who gave them to me.

#35 ladyemero

ladyemero

Scottish Siren

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 64 posts

Posted 19 July 2008 - 05:47 PM

ohhh excellent been getting quite a few rabbits jump out at me 3 times now, so will read all the info and see if it applies
Great :D thanks everyone x

PEACE....
It does not mean to be in a place where there is no noise, trouble or hard work, it means to be in the midst of those things and still
be CALM IN YOUR HEART
(unknown)

www.scottishsiren.wordpress.com

#36 soap fairy

soap fairy

fluffy chaos instigator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,200 posts

Posted 24 July 2008 - 01:22 PM

Sort of on the same line but does anyone know what a whacking great big yellow dragon fly type thing means {not sure it was a dragon fly because it's as long as the top of my thumb to the base of my hand }
It's also really loud {makes a noise like blowing over a comb}
I've got a lemon eucalyptus tree in a pot in my sitting room and I keep coming in to see this sat on it , it's like it looks at me then flys out the window..
I'm wondering if it's a message to say that we'll be leaving soon ??:eheheh:

:cloud9: floating through life on a cloud of bubbles

#37 Guest_Tiger Lady_*

Guest_Tiger Lady_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 July 2008 - 01:57 PM

I have the deck & two books, the old book & the new book of them.

thanks GF for the clarification. Always good to learn something new.

Sapphire

I like the druid animal oracle for the same reasons. Every now and then I ask the Oracle, especially when there is a change in my life, what spirit guide would best suit me and then I hang it on the mirror to remind me. Two days ago I pulled the reverse Crane. This let me know i should follow my gut instincts. Which right now - great advice.

Spinney - I think the jackrabbit and the hare are the same thing hear. Let me see if I can find out on the web.... I guess they are, at least according to a wikipedia definition

Hares and jackrabbits are leporids belonging to the genus Lepus

Soapfairy - that is interesting. I wonder what it is. I'm going to see if I can find some pictures of yellow dragonflies.

#38 Greenfeet

Greenfeet

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 281 posts

Posted 24 July 2008 - 04:55 PM

I realize K8tdy is no longer a member, but she did ask a good question that I wanted to comment on in case anyone else is interested.

In many American Indian traditions if you ask an elder "who is my spirit animal?" they will tell you to "go up on the hill." Meaning to go on a Vision Quest- go to a remote place and fast and pray on it for the answer.

Now I know many of you follow a more European traditions path, but I think the answer does have some relativity to traditional witches. Because basically the Indian elders are saying you cannot get the answer from a person, go ask the spirits yourself!

Morgana and everyone,

I have Cherokee ancestry too, on my father's side. I come from a Tenn. clan. Unfortunately we don't know which clan, but we have a good idea.

How would you determine what animal is your totem or spirit guide when all animals fascinate you?

#39 Guest_Tiger Lady_*

Guest_Tiger Lady_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 July 2008 - 04:59 PM

I realize K8tdy is no longer a member, but she did ask a good question that I wanted to comment on in case anyone else is interested.

In many American Indian traditions if you ask an elder "who is my spirit animal?" they will tell you to "go up on the hill." Meaning to go on a Vision Quest- go to a remote place and fast and pray on it for the answer.

Now I know many of you follow a more European traditions path, but I think the answer does have some relativity to traditional witches. Because basically the Indian elders are saying you cannot get the answer from a person, go ask the spirits yourself!

I've heard that during this quest, you should not readily except the first spirit to appear. And that the elders will know if you did just that. You should still remain thankful, and state such, that it appeared to you but to say that your going to stay a bit longer until you receive your spirit guide. You will know when the correct animal does appear. That's just what I've read.

#40 Grymdycche

Grymdycche

Thaumaturge Medicocre

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,495 posts

Posted 24 July 2008 - 05:43 PM

Interesting.. I have no real idea which mine would be.
I don't imagine just because I happen to be fond of certain popular animals, that would be it, would it? Does that make it more likely, or less likely somehow?
I've always thought wolves were gorgeous, and ravens /crows always held a fascination for me too - but then those are typical, if not stereotypical, goth and new age symbols (well, I guess there's a reason for that ;))

http://runeforum.phrets.com
9 out of 10 string theory physicists agree: 'Nothing Rests; Everything Moves; Everything Vibrates'' -the Kybalion.