• Please log in to reply
41 replies to this topic

#21 Tana

Tana

Earth Mother

• Moderators
  • 3,763 posts

Posted 10 June 2011 - 08:09 PM

From what Blacksmith said, I am happy to leave this post here. Excellent read by the way, Blacksmith!!
)0( Tana )o(

If I break faith with thee, may the skies fall upon me, the seas drown me, and the earth rise up and swallow me.

#22 Whiterose

Whiterose

• Former Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,747 posts

Posted 11 June 2011 - 04:47 AM

As for the Vision Serpent, I have not included which herbs and twigs are used, the times that this is done, and several other details that would most likely lead one who is not advanced in this kind of craft to end up just looking at smoke from their cauldron like watching smoke rise from their charcoal grill. The warning of danger is only intended for those advanced enough to do this practice. Those witches that already are connected with the spirit world at least at the intermediate level, I have found sometimes need a warning when going to the next step, as they may not know. I have known many witches that blindly journey into the spirit world, for some they do well, but for many they have bad experiences at deeper levels. In other words, some need or at least want some guidance and warning so that they can safely unite with the spirits. As a witch very advanced in spirit work, I would never give details that would mislead or place in danger any witch not adept in these matters. The mention of the Vision Serpent is meant only for comparative studies in divination, not as a lesson or how-to. Thanks for your interest in the post.

From what Blacksmith said, I am happy to leave this post here. Excellent read by the way, Blacksmith!!

Im glad you clarified that Blacksmith as I have no experience with this Vision Serpent and wouldn't know that you would need certain herbs for it to work properly. I stand corrected. I was going mearly by the statement that it was dangerous and advanced. :sweat:

Yes, I agree, it was an excellent read. :applause:

#23 Jevne

Jevne

Former Member

• Former Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,441 posts

Posted 11 June 2011 - 12:24 PM

Im glad you clarified that Blacksmith as I have no experience with this Vision Serpent and wouldn't know that you would need certain herbs for it to work properly. I stand corrected. I was going mearly by the statement that it was dangerous and advanced. :sweat:

Yes, I agree, it was an excellent read. :applause:

I wholeheartedly agree. I used to worry about newbies getting ahold of dangerous Craft information; however, I realize now that they can't do anything with it anyway. I can read about advanced nuclear physics until I'm blue in the face, but that doesn't mean I'll be splitting the atom anytime soon.

J

#24 Whiterose

Whiterose

• Former Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,747 posts

Posted 12 June 2011 - 10:56 AM

I wholeheartedly agree. I used to worry about newbies getting ahold of dangerous Craft information; however, I realize now that they can't do anything with it anyway. I can read about advanced nuclear physics until I'm blue in the face, but that doesn't mean I'll be splitting the atom anytime soon.

J

lol you and me both...:teehee:

#25 LdyShalott

LdyShalott

NecRomancer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 850 posts

Posted 13 June 2011 - 12:38 AM

J

Oh come on Jevne, it is really simple.. all you have to do is.............. LOL
:rolleyes_witch:

Totally agree,... nice post Blacksmith..

Most witches don’t believe in gods. They know that the gods exist, of course. They even deal with them occasionally. But they don’t believe in them. They know them too well. It would be like believing in the postman.  T.P.

In order to understand the living.. you have to commune with the dead..
You are a tiny little soul carrying around a corpse.-- Epictetus
All experience is an arch wherethrough gleams that untravelled world whose margin fades for ever and for ever when I move.

#26 Startella

Startella

Czarwonica

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,265 posts

Posted 28 June 2011 - 08:59 PM

Excellent read, Blacksmith!
Draco Dormien Nuquam Titillandus
(Never Tickle A Sleeping Dragon)

#27 Laetus

Laetus

• Seekers
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 07 July 2011 - 07:20 AM

great thread! appreciate the input Blacksmith... I work quite a bit both with the casting of bones and the spirit realms yet haven't stumbled across the "vision serpent" technique for divination... I'll definately have to look in to and study this art.
-laetus

#28 Heks

Heks

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 542 posts

Posted 23 December 2011 - 11:56 PM

Hi all!

I was just wondering whether this serpent has a link with the one mentioned in Gemma Gary's book on Cornish TW? She talks about "the Serpent of the land", page 38 of the 2nd edition. She also talks about a "red serpent" page 95, when she explains the East Road of the Witches' compass.
Kind regs,

Heks

Posted Image

Edited by Heks, 24 December 2011 - 11:54 PM.

"One's own house, though small, is better,
For there thou art the master.
It makes a man's heart bleed to ask
for a midday meal at the house of another."

(35 Havamal, Edda)

#29 Scott

Scott

Irritatingly Thoughtful

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 788 posts

Posted 01 January 2012 - 12:02 PM

Greetings RF

*Scratches Head*

Caz is right .. hmmm did I put something on this in here years back? Hmmm ... I know I did a cards post but I thought I did one on bones too ... mebbe I just meant to .. hmmm

Tell you what I will see if'n I can't dig some stuff up and slap it up in here tomorrow or the next day
(I *AM* after all meant to be working on my Sight Book this month!)

Sheesh - no rest ... no rest at all! lol

Subsisto

Scott

New Me! Now with added incomprehensibilityfullness for your convenience!

#30 Forest Child

Forest Child

• Seekers
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 29 January 2012 - 03:18 PM

Although I am new here, the bones are something which has interested me for a long time. In many parts of the world bones are used to divine. The earliest forms of dice are thought to stem from the Mongolian game/divination use of Sheep's knuckle bones (called Shagai). Across the Eurasian continent assortments of bones and stones have been used, cast upon the ground or a skin to determine the state of things.

Our ancestors, through their funeral ceremonies (and our subsequent archeological digs) seemed to considered bones to be where the essence of the soul part which went to the land of the dead resided. The collective bones of a clan or tribe's ancestors would offer a direct route to access their knowledge and help (hence bones being interred with great care at the corner, foundations or under the hearth of buildings and in collective burial mounds or kairns.

The Yoruba in West Africa, from what I have read, also use cowrie shells, stones and bones to divine with. Each object coming to the Diviner over the years with a special meaning and memory so that over the space of several years a Diviner may have upwards of 100 objects in their divination basket.

The way that I use them is much the same, each stone, bone, shell or object comes to me naturally and has several meanings from intrinsic, through metaphor to experiential and more. If I mark out an area on the ground either by drawing a shape with a stick in the dust or by making the shape from flour (like sand mandalas are made) or by using a skin, which objects are picked up, where they fall, what relationship they have to oneanother, how the group together etc all play into the interpretation of the question.

Most crafty people probably have a dozen or so small bits and pieces hanging around which they have picked up over the years and which have special meaning to them. You can start with these and 'collect' from there. :)

#31 Jevne

Jevne

Former Member

• Former Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,441 posts

Posted 28 September 2013 - 09:21 PM

. . .
Divination is a journey that leads to the crossroads, at least in my experience. It is one of the methods for attaining to more advanced skills in other areas of witchcraft practices. Developing intuition and spirit connections has been an essential aspect of my journey as a traditional witch.

I like this post (see the entire post above), so I am bumping it up for further discussion.  Actually, I was just thinking how I find piles of bones more appealing than bones that have been retained or positioned in "skeletal" form.  Not sure why that is, but anyway . . . I am avoiding grading papers, so there it is.

#32 TheOn3LeftBehind

TheOn3LeftBehind

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 85 posts

Posted 03 December 2013 - 04:07 AM

This thread has great information! Thanks you guys! :)

Woman, I saw you riding on a fence switch with loose hair and belt, in the troll skin, at the time when day and night are equal.” -Reference from C. E. Law of Vastgotaland

#33 OpheliaRose

OpheliaRose

Advanced Member

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 54 posts

Posted 05 December 2013 - 05:12 AM

Lots of amazing info here. I've been wanting to learn how to divine with bones for awhile. I'm interested in all the different sources you guys have used to obtain bones. I'm wondering if I want to use chicken bones or get dirty with some road kill lol.

#34 SerpentWitch

SerpentWitch

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 221 posts

Posted 19 January 2014 - 01:00 PM

I have been interested in bone divination and have asked several other witches I know if they knew anyone who did this but none of them had ever heard of it. It's so hard to find other people interested in this and even harder to find texts and information, so I'm very glad I've found this topic!
And many thanks to blacksmith for posting some info.

Edited by NiamhBrennaDarcy, 04 February 2014 - 10:43 AM.

Posted ImageWalking in Darkness

#35 Scott

Scott

Irritatingly Thoughtful

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 788 posts

Posted 21 January 2014 - 05:12 AM

Geezle Wheezel! I never got back to this!

How rude!

One sec ....

Ok yep I do have a blurb notes page here that has stuff from an oracle I found years back and the Zulu bone Oracle too ... what I do tends to be a mish mash of that with others ...

Now didn't there used to be a file att button here somewhere? Is that still a go and I just can't see it or not?

If yes I will zap it up - if no I'll have to cut and paste a bit ... or work sothing else out ...

Anyone see a file button? lol Ahh there it is ....teach me for using a half screen! lol

Let me know how this goes ... Attached File  bones.doc   430KB   17 downloads

Scott

#36 aurora

aurora

• Former Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,690 posts

Posted 21 January 2014 - 06:53 PM

Got it. Thanks

#37 Autumn Moon

Autumn Moon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,050 posts

Posted 21 January 2014 - 09:27 PM

Thanks Scott. Looks like it will be a very good read. I have crow bones I could use for this.

Edited by Autumn Moon, 21 January 2014 - 09:27 PM.

#38 moonstone

moonstone

Advanced Member

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 27 January 2014 - 08:39 PM

Thanks Scott! This is very interesting. I may give this a try. Now I just need some bones...

#39 Scott

Scott

Irritatingly Thoughtful

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 788 posts

Posted 02 February 2014 - 11:03 PM

No Sweat!

Oh and .. some people get all panty bunched about what kind of bones to use.

In their own systems I am sure that makes a difference but in my experience you use what comes to hand!

So any bones will do - chickens work JUST FINE.

Besides it is just like usin stones or what have you ... put something of your own in the mix and see where that lands.

It always gives more info dependant on what it is close to and so on ...

Gettin too picky about tools shows you got too many damn rules to make it in the wild! lol

Scott

#40 OpheliaRose

OpheliaRose

Advanced Member

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 54 posts

Posted 18 February 2014 - 01:44 AM

Thanks. I know that already, but it's reassuring to hear from others to trust my own instincts. That sounds so silly, but a big part of that I need to get over is not having exact instructions. Often times when I am walking trails certain little things will call to me and I'll pick them up and keep them (stones, acorns, etc) so I will do the same with bones! Thanks for the read as well!