41 replies to this topic

#1 RavenFlyer

RavenFlyer

Backwoods Witch

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,545 posts

Posted 19 June 2008 - 03:54 AM

I was wondering if anyone here has used bones in divination? I have been interested in this type of divination for a few years, but have not found a lot of information on the subject. I had collected some chicken bones and was cleaning them to make them usable but gave up after they kept not working properly. I am thinking of trying it again but was gong to ask you all if anyone had had any luck properly cleaning the bones for continuous use and what type to use and how to read them?

#2 Guest_Landieth_*

Guest_Landieth_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 June 2008 - 01:45 PM

I've actually been interested in this too! I have no idea where to start, but I'm sure you could intuit the meanings for the different bones yourself.

:)

I guess you could find which bones speak to you and what they tell you..

But if you're looking for a general overview of it I'll do some reasearch!

#3 Guest_Landieth_*

Guest_Landieth_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 June 2008 - 01:56 PM

Here are some internet sources.. I don't know how reliable, but hey! They're a place to start.

http://person.sol.lu...divination.html

http://www.angelfire...arma/bones.html

That's really all I could find on the subject so far.. but I have a feeling that if you rely on your own intuition, you'll get a better reading.

Well, hope that helps!

#4 Cairelle

Cairelle

GiGi Extraordinaire

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,374 posts

Posted 19 June 2008 - 03:16 PM

Scott does this; perhaps he will see this and reply. :D

“People don’t live in New Orleans because it is easy. They live here because they are incapable of living anywhere else in the just same way.” – Ian McNulty, A Season of Night: New Orleans Life After Katrina

#5 Grymdycche

Grymdycche

Thaumaturge Medicocre

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,480 posts

Posted 19 June 2008 - 05:58 PM

I have this in a book, I'll have to look it over tonight.
It's not your "typical" occult book however, it's actually a magic book. As in performance magic!
It was written by my good friend Baba Gede Nibo, an actual vodoun Houngan as well as magician. I've learned from him that there can be overlap between the magical and the magickal.*
However, in the rear of the book is a genuine discourse on bone casting.

*(Ooo! This gives me an idea for a new thread on ethics too)

http://runeforum.phrets.com
9 out of 10 string theory physicists agree: 'Nothing Rests; Everything Moves; Everything Vibrates'' -the Kybalion.

#6 Guest_Gypsy_*

Guest_Gypsy_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 June 2008 - 06:56 PM

Hi All

Here in South Africa, the Sangomas, more commonly referred to as Witchdoctors, throw bones as a form of divination. I've had a reading done before and it was absolutely amazing.

I found this link if anyone is interested in reading more about the Traditional Witchdoctors in South Africa.

http://www.eshowe.co...static/40/1/20/

Hope this helps.

#7 Grymdycche

Grymdycche

Thaumaturge Medicocre

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,480 posts

Posted 19 June 2008 - 08:29 PM

I have the information I was looking for on bone casting but would prefer to post it in the private section - being that the info was something the author (a friend of mine) did not wish the general public to have access to, and I feel it's only honourable for me to abide by his wishes, whatever his reasoning.

Alas, many of you cannot access that area yet.

So, I may post it later in the private area and PM anyone else who also wants it.

9 out of 10 string theory physicists agree: 'Nothing Rests; Everything Moves; Everything Vibrates'' -the Kybalion.

#8 Guest_Landieth_*

Guest_Landieth_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 June 2008 - 11:50 PM

I have the information I was looking for on bone casting but would prefer to post it in the private section - being that the info was something the author (a friend of mine) did not wish the general public to have access to, and I feel it's only honourable for me to abide by his wishes, whatever his reasoning.

I give him kudos for that.

#9 RavenFlyer

RavenFlyer

Backwoods Witch

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,545 posts

Posted 20 June 2008 - 02:20 AM

I would appreciate a pm with that information as I can not access the other parts of the boards just yet.
Thanks so much

#10 Grymdycche

Grymdycche

Thaumaturge Medicocre

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,480 posts

Posted 20 June 2008 - 03:04 PM

I would appreciate a pm with that information as I can not access the other parts of the boards just yet.
Thanks so much

Sent

#11 RavenFlyer

RavenFlyer

Backwoods Witch

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,545 posts

Posted 21 June 2008 - 03:40 AM

Thank you so much.

#12 Deb13b

Deb13b

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 206 posts

Posted 26 June 2008 - 02:07 PM

This is something I was thinking about at the start of the year, it sounds fascinating ! I would love to hear about your experiences if you start doing this.

#13 RavenFlyer

RavenFlyer

Backwoods Witch

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,545 posts

Posted 07 July 2008 - 01:42 PM

I plan on starting collecting the bones once I move into my new apartment. Today I am off in search of a new place to live. I will let you all know how the bones go once I get started.

#14 Grymdycche

Grymdycche

Thaumaturge Medicocre

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,480 posts

Posted 07 July 2008 - 03:21 PM

Well, this auction just ended, but you might want to look into finding this book elsewhere - it seems right up your alley. It got a good review on the net, not that really means anything tho.
This seller gave a good amount of information and pictures, which is why I'm posting a link for a dead auction.

http://cgi.ebay.com/...:MEWA:IT&ih=020

Wait - found a live auction for it! ( but w/o nearly as much info as the above link):
http://cgi.ebay.com/...062718109r39556

Here's a google link to other sources too:
http://www.google.co...ll"&btnG=Search

#15 Fallen Angel

Fallen Angel

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 71 posts

Posted 03 August 2008 - 04:49 AM

I, for some reason, thought that it was human bones that were used in this sort of diviniation. Am I wrong?

Scott, if you still have a copy of that portion of your firends book, I'll love to see it. ::bats eyelashes and such::

~ The Fallen Angel

#16 Blacksmith

Blacksmith

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 211 posts

Posted 05 June 2011 - 06:34 PM

I use two forms of divination not commonly practiced. One is "throwing the bones", and the other is called the "vision serpent", a method used by Maya shamans. Throwing the bones does not include human bones. There are actually less bone pieces and more of other items. Throwing the bones is done in one of three ways: 1. Throwing onto a mat or animal pelt. 2. Casting into a circle on the ground, sometimes made with sacred stones and herbs 3. Casting onto a board with markings that further expand the details of the bones and other objects cast. In all methods this is done on the ground or floor. Casting objects may include adam and eve seed pods to represent male or female, a predator's tooth (such as a wolf or wild cat) may represent danger or an enemy, and there can be many other objects. The basics of this practice is to cast a collection of objects that represent all aspects that may arise in a question. Inquiries may range from health concerns, to having been cursed (or as some Hoodoo say, "witchcrafted"), to concerns of love, finances, and all those other things one might read in tarot as well. The central concept is that the diviner is not simply throwing bones and objects onto a mat, but that he/she is being guided by deep levels of intuition and is acting as an intermediary between the ancestors (or in some cases other spirits) and the client. I should say here that there are many variations on the objects used and casting systems. There are systems that cast sea shells, some cast only cowrie shells (Ifa), runes, four coconut shells (chamalongo in Palo Mayombe), and others.

The Vision Serpent is an entirely different form of divination, and is my preferred method. The basics.... Sacred herbs and twigs are placed in a cauldron or stone bowl (I use an iron cauldron of course). For divination with this you must be adept at going in and out of trances rather fluidly. The method is one for the spirits to connect with your deeper levels of mind. The result is the sense of knowing, a very strong intuitive process. You may just connect with the ancestors or spirits for divination or you may write a short spell on a piece of paper (preferably hand made or parchment, written with ritually prepared ink), this is added before lighting the fire in the cauldron. This is the second step that can be taken after first mastering the divination practice of the Vision Serpent. It is also important to note here that you should be an adept in the spirit world before trying this as well. If you don't know what spirits you work with this can be dangerous, a wild spirit (in Haiti called a Djab) can connect with you, if you do not know how to work with them very bad things can happen. The Maya used the Vision Serpent method as a way to connect with the underworld which they call Xibalba. Similar methods are used in Africa as well.

Divination is a journey that leads to the crossroads, at least in my experience. It is one of the methods for attaining to more advanced skills in other areas of witchcraft practices. Developing intuition and spirit connections has been an essential aspect of my journey as a traditional witch.

#17 Whiterose

Whiterose

• Former Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,747 posts

Posted 06 June 2011 - 10:33 AM

I use two forms of divination not commonly practiced. One is "throwing the bones", and the other is called the "vision serpent", a method used by Maya shamans. Throwing the bones does not include human bones. There are actually less bone pieces and more of other items. Throwing the bones is done in one of three ways: 1. Throwing onto a mat or animal pelt. 2. Casting into a circle on the ground, sometimes made with sacred stones and herbs 3. Casting onto a board with markings that further expand the details of the bones and other objects cast. In all methods this is done on the ground or floor. Casting objects may include adam and eve seed pods to represent male or female, a predator's tooth (such as a wolf or wild cat) may represent danger or an enemy, and there can be many other objects. The basics of this practice is to cast a collection of objects that represent all aspects that may arise in a question. Inquiries may range from health concerns, to having been cursed (or as some Hoodoo say, "witchcrafted"), to concerns of love, finances, and all those other things one might read in tarot as well. The central concept is that the diviner is not simply throwing bones and objects onto a mat, but that he/she is being guided by deep levels of intuition and is acting as an intermediary between the ancestors (or in some cases other spirits) and the client. I should say here that there are many variations on the objects used and casting systems. There are systems that cast sea shells, some cast only cowrie shells (Ifa), runes, four coconut shells (chamalongo in Palo Mayombe), and others.

The Vision Serpent is an entirely different form of divination, and is my preferred method. The basics.... Sacred herbs and twigs are placed in a cauldron or stone bowl (I use an iron cauldron of course). For divination with this you must be adept at going in and out of trances rather fluidly. The method is one for the spirits to connect with your deeper levels of mind. The result is the sense of knowing, a very strong intuitive process. You may just connect with the ancestors or spirits for divination or you may write a short spell on a piece of paper (preferably hand made or parchment, written with ritually prepared ink), this is added before lighting the fire in the cauldron. This is the second step that can be taken after first mastering the divination practice of the Vision Serpent. It is also important to note here that you should be an adept in the spirit world before trying this as well. If you don't know what spirits you work with this can be dangerous, a wild spirit (in Haiti called a Djab) can connect with you, if you do not know how to work with them very bad things can happen. The Maya used the Vision Serpent method as a way to connect with the underworld which they call Xibalba. Similar methods are used in Africa as well.

Divination is a journey that leads to the crossroads, at least in my experience. It is one of the methods for attaining to more advanced skills in other areas of witchcraft practices. Developing intuition and spirit connections has been an essential aspect of my journey as a traditional witch.

This is a great post. I'll vote this up. Although....since this potentially dangerous advanced craft, would it not be better placed in the private section, mods?

#18 Jevne

Jevne

Former Member

• Former Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,441 posts

Posted 06 June 2011 - 10:45 AM

This is a great post. I'll vote this up. Although....since this potentially dangerous advanced craft, would it not be better placed in the private section, mods?

Yes, it should be, but than the person who wrote it wouldn't be able to see it. I don't think we have anything to worry about, though, because the novices on the board right now aren't going to have the knowledge or experience to use the information presented by Blacksmith to any real end. No offense intended.

#19 Whiterose

Whiterose

• Former Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,747 posts

Posted 06 June 2011 - 10:48 AM

Yes, it should be, but than the person who wrote it wouldn't be able to see it. I don't think we have anything to worry about, though, because the novices on the board right now aren't going to have the knowledge or experience to use the information presented by Blacksmith to any real end. No offense intended.

You have a point...:thinking:

#20 Blacksmith

Blacksmith

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 211 posts

Posted 09 June 2011 - 06:31 PM

You have a point...:thinking:

As for the Vision Serpent, I have not included which herbs and twigs are used, the times that this is done, and several other details that would most likely lead one who is not advanced in this kind of craft to end up just looking at smoke from their cauldron like watching smoke rise from their charcoal grill. The warning of danger is only intended for those advanced enough to do this practice. Those witches that already are connected with the spirit world at least at the intermediate level, I have found sometimes need a warning when going to the next step, as they may not know. I have known many witches that blindly journey into the spirit world, for some they do well, but for many they have bad experiences at deeper levels. In other words, some need or at least want some guidance and warning so that they can safely unite with the spirits. As a witch very advanced in spirit work, I would never give details that would mislead or place in danger any witch not adept in these matters. The mention of the Vision Serpent is meant only for comparative studies in divination, not as a lesson or how-to. Thanks for your interest in the post.