skull cave michigan

Startella

Here's some little history....

Skull Cave is a small and shallow cave on Mackinac Island in Michigan. The cave was carved during the Algonquin post-glacial period. It is believed to have been used as an inhumation site by Native Americans in the 1700s. While in active use as a site for human remains, the cave was also used as a refuge in 1763 by fur trader Alexander Henry.

Henry spent the night in this cave and upon waking he found that the cave he was sleeping in the floor was covered in human bones and skulls.

This area is fenced off so that you can not go into the cave anymore, people were taking stones and things out of the cave. All the bones have already been removed. You stand down from the cave and kinda see inside it alittle above you, there are all kinds of small and large rocks at the entrance and into the cave.

I was standing there very disappointed that I could not get any closer to the cave.. it was just drawing me in. There was a sign stating that you were not allowed beyond that point and not to go over the fence to take the rocks. I told Rick that I wish I could get one of those rocks. There was some noise from above us and one of the rocks rolled down right to me on my side of the fence. I took it! Rick has teased me ever since that I stole that rock and I will get into trouble for taking it.

Anyhow I use this rock in alot of my workings and call it my skull rock. It may not look like a skull but that is how I view it. Its not a very stable rock, made from mud, stones, fossils and lots of pressure.. so I am very careful with it.. it will break apart, but it does have very strong strange energy to it.

1070_thumb.attach

Thats awesome. I've been to Mackinac Island twice, and I don't think I've been to Skull Cave. Although maybe I did the first time, I was pretty young. I want to take the Hubby to Michigan, specifically to Mackinac Island.

I used to live a few hours away from the Island. Such an amazing place, especially since no cars are allowed on the Island. So weird, that the rock came to you :) I'll have to remember to visit when I go back.

Guest Tiger Lady

I'm a spelunker and geology teacher - it would have drove me nuts too. It would have been so neat to have visited. And - I would have taken the rock too.

• 9 months later...

I remember YEARS (Decades!) ago being at Fort Mackinac at the tip of the Lower Peninsula, and they had some pretty gruesome (To me at the time, NOTHING bothers me anymore) things on display, including a skeleton with a British gorget still attatched to the breastbone, hair on the skull and all....If I was to go there now, I would probably be vibratining all day and all night long, with what all happened there!

I prefer non-historic sites to visit, so I can have a quiet vacation!

Or, at least be prepared for what will pop up in front of me!:party0016:

I had a witch friend who had a pet rock. she took it everywhere with her, lol.. especially to meet ups at the pub, when potential newbies might have to spot us amongst the rest of the people drinking there! Sadly she passed away about 6 years ago, but whenever we meet up to remember her we take the rock with us to the pub, and buy it a pint ...

:buddies: