Blue Bottle Bush

Guest Tiger Lady

Guest Tiger Lady

I have to let you all know - I love my mother-in-law. While most people can't say that, I can. My last thread I included my mother-in-law's blogs and in this one I'm going to include a few more because I think the myths behind the blue bottle bush is neat and that y'all might enjoy it. I collect witch balls, I have 4 in all right now. My mother-in-law created a blue bottle bush and it is based on the same theory - that the evil spirits will be trapped inside the bottles. Not only is it pretty but for the life of me I can't figure out what keeps the bottles on the dead oak branches. They just hang. One bottle fills with water when it rains but they always hang on.

The first blog is of the legend behind the blue bottle bush. The little blue bottle on the table, I gave her at Christmas. I actually bought it at Bean Sprites store and had no idea that my mother-in-law was planning on building a bottle bush.

http://grannysu.blogspot.com/2008/03/building-blue-bottle-bush.html

This second blog has a picture of the bush after it was completed. My mother-in-law has a pretty big fan base being a storyteller and a pretty good blog writer and people started sending her blue bottles from everywhere.

http://grannysu.blogspot.com/2008/04/bottle-bush-complete.html

I hope everyone enjoyed this.

That is so cool. I may have to start one myself. So is blue the only color that works or can you use brown and clear? The blue is beautiful, but if they are hard to find, I will have to go with brown and clear.

I've also heard that hanging old silverware in trees scares off ghosts and evil spirits. And also makes a great wind chime.

:crazy:

Guest Tiger Lady

Traditionally blue is used. It's an old African tradition that believes the evil spirits are attacted to the blue and that's why they become trapped in the bottles. You can also line your window sill with blue bottles and its suppose to do the same thing.

People do however use different colors. One man that commented on Susie's blog used clear, brown, green and fuscia bottles.

I've also heard that hanging old silverware in trees scares off ghosts and evil spirits. And also makes a great wind chime.

I think I have heard of this tradition as well.

this is so interesting to me. i live in North Carolina and i see them EVERYWHERE! i have often wondered what the appeal of having bottles in trees is (other than aesthetics). now i know and there happens to be a Riesling that i enjoy that comes in ..... blue bottles!

i was actually talking with a friend of mine the other day about hanging them by cords from the trees. i was worried that they would bang together and break. i have small kids and am not too excited about broken glass.

but if these guys can hold up to storms, then....

Guest Tiger Lady

That would be really pretty (((Familiar Witch))). Maybe if you hung them at different lengths and were careful to make sure they couldn't clink together.

• 4 weeks later...
Guest Lilly

There was a "wise woman" who lived in the county where I grew up. She had two bottle trees in her yard, one that was all blue, and one that is multicolored. Next time I go home. I will swing by and get some pictures, if it is still standing. She passed on about 5 years ago.

I like the bottle bush. I knew about the blue glass being a good defense. I like the idea of hanging the bottles better than placing them over the limbs myself. I think its more aesthically pleasing for me. when I get my own place I want to design one.

I wanted a bottle bush put up immediately upon moving in our house, but other things were more pressing (like getting toilets).

Perhaps I can get a small bush to squeak into a corner of my garden... hmmm... or maybe I can just hang some from the crape myrtles in my front yard.

• 3 weeks later...

Over the weekend I found some blue bottles but they were NOT for sale. Believe me, I tried!!!! I did find a couple a drinks that come in blue bottles I may have to try, then keep the bottles.

I've also been searching the flea markets here. So far no luck.

Guest Tiger Lady

Blue bottles are very hard to find. I only found the one pill bottle in Bean Sprite's shop for my mother-in-law. I have noticed a few different wines that have been coming in blue cobalt bottles. which I think is kind of neat.

Archived