Squash and Zucchini

Guest Tiger Lady

Guest Tiger Lady

I made this recipe last night and I loved it. So I thought I'd share. With all the zucchini and squash I should have from my 4 hills, I need to be as creative as possible.

2 squash sliced and quartered

2 zucchini sliced and quartered

2 garlic cloves minced

olive oil

2 TBSP of fresh oregano minced

1/2 cup of mozerella

parmesan cheese

Place squash and zucchini in olive oil and cook for 3 minutes. Add garlic and cook until veggies are soft. Remove from heat (you may have to drain the excess oil) and add oregano, mozerella, and sprinkle with parmesan.

Its pretty easy and very light tasting. I loved it and amazingly so did the kids.

I make something very similar to this, except I cook it in the oven.

Basically using the same ingredients, slice the zucchini and squash in half lengthwise and lightly coat the veggies with olive oil. Then sprinkle on some garlic powder, oregano, salt and pepper.

Place the veggies in a roasting pan or baking dish and cook them in a 350? oven till they are cooked through and soft. Doesn't take very long, 15 minutes or so. At the very end right before taking the dish out of the oven, sprinkle on freshly grated Parmigiano cheese and let it melt till it forms a nice crust.

Just another easy variation using the same ingredients. It basically cooks itself and tastes really good.

Guest Tiger Lady

If any one else has more ideas - please post. I know Bean Sprite has a variation on this. She should post it too.

• 3 weeks later...

I know what you mean, squash and zucchini tend to be abundant. Here is the recipe for my variation of zucchini and cheese casserole:

Monterey Casserole

1 cup rice, cooked (can substitue with macaroni)

1 (7oz) can green chilis (or fresh, roast peeled chilis)

3 medium zucchini. Parboiled, sliced ? inches

1 large tomato sliced

1 lb Monterey Jack cheese (cheddar good too)

2 cups sour cream (can substitute with yogurt)

1 tsp oregano (and or basil)

1 tsp garlic salt

2 tbsp green pepper, chopped

2 tbsp chopped green onions

1 tbsp parsley

Place rice in buttered casserole. Cover with sliced chilis and strips of cheese. Then zucchini and tomatoes slices. Mix sour cream with the spices and pour over all. Grate remaining cheese and place on tip of mixture. Bake 350 degree for 30 minutes.

Here's another recipe with a different taste:

Italian Style Fried Zucchini

Slice zucchini 1/4" thick, moisten in a milk and egg wash then dredge in a mixture of equal parts flour and parmesan cheese seasoned with garlic, basil, salt, pepper to taste, fry till golden in a little oil and serve with your favorite Italian red sauce.

Deep fried sliced squash and zucchini are always good. As a side dish served with ranch dressing, even finicky eaters like it. My favorite though is oriental style, served on the side with stir frys, I like to dip them in a little soy sauce.

I also like to stuff big zucchini with a mixture of bread, spices, onions, cheese and cut up zucchini or squash and bake it, but by the middle of the season my hubby thinks I am over-dosing him on zucchini so I have to go undercover. LOL!

During the season I also put grated squash and/or zucchini in a variety of dishes. Often I don't tell my husband about it, he can't tell and I ain't telling!

Grated summer squash or zucchini is really good in meatloaf. Make your meatloaf as usual, just put the grated zucchini in the mix, it will make your meatloaf come out more moist and no one will know they are eating veggies!

I also put some grated squash or zucchini in my speghetti sauce.

And there is zucchini bread.

For a long time I would cook up speghetti squash serve it with sauce and sometimes meat balls what ever, the kids and my X never new what they were eating, oh by the way they hated squash of any kind. I even got my father to eat it. LOL

My mother did wonders with Spaghetti squash. Dad always knew what she was cooking, since it came from his garden.

I am VERY concerned about the handling of the vegetables coming in to this country, or handled with no supervision by some farm workers. I will be happiest when I can grow everything I need myself. So, I wash everything well before I cut it, and after washing my hands thoroughly. I cannot believe that the USDA and CDC aren't saying that it is poor handling, and blaming it on the veggies themselves. What's THAT all about?

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Tiger Lady

I've been averaging 1 zucchini and 2 squash every other day. But I think the squash is starting to come in thicker. So I definitely appreciate all the advice. I need to post on how to make butternut squash (the way I like it) and acorn. I love those too. I wish I had the space in my garden to plant those as well. Mmmmm.....

I can't figure out how to make spaghetti squash properly though. I've had it where it was absolutely delicious but my recipes have flopped.

Archived