Sausage and Navy bean soup

Guest Rebie

Guest Rebie

I just tried this and it taste really good. I had some dried navy beans that had been soaking overnight. Realising I had no ham left, I figured why not the smoked sausage.

Start beans to cook.

Brown smoked sausage that has been cut into small cubes

Carmelize some onions in the pan after you take the sausage out.

Put sausage, onions in beans.

Pour some water in the pan used for meat to get that gravy part and pour it into beans.

Add some worcestishire sauce in mine. I also like my stuff kind of spicy so I added some seasonings.

• 4 months later...
Rebie, this sounds yummy.

Whenever I make meatballs for spaghetti I always make too many, so I freeze them and use them in soup after the fact..

J

That is a great idea. What kind of meat do you use to make your meatballs?

Rebie

Usually beef though I have made them with pork for soup (not for spaghetti, funny though, if I'm making a meat sauce I'll use either or...but I just never have used pork meatballs in a tomato sauce). I make cabbage rolls with a pork/beef mix. The seasoning depends on the meat..for me, beef gets oregano and basil (the ratio of oregano to basil is 2:1) for ground pork I really like sage. It's smells funny but tastes great. I've not really tried chicken or turkey ground, so I'm not up on which spices/herbs to use with these. I always use salt and pepper in them and sometimes wortchestershire sauce in beef ones and maybe a little tobasco to spice things up.

I like my meatballs dry so I use an egg as a binder and then use bread crumbs or ground up crackers (really fine) to get rid of any excess moisture. The texture of moist meatballs gross me out.

I tend to make my meat balls small too, about the size of a large marble, so that they cook quick in the stock or sauce. Sometimes I'll brown them first, sometimes I won't...depends on my mood and how much time I have.

J :)

Edited by Jaime