Photo
- - - - -

Trees, Shrubs

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
14 replies to this topic

#1 Varillon

Varillon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 434 posts

Posted 01 June 2008 - 06:36 PM

I didn't see this one posted anywhere else. Especially for those of us in the States, this site came highly recommended. I just ordered a Yew from them which is in this link. Considering how hard it is to come by some plants, this place seems well equipped. If you order in the off-season, which goes to June 21st, you don't have to pay for air shipping. I'll see what I can do for a pic of my little tree when it arrives.

http://www.forestfar...PlantID=taba043

#2 FamiliarWitch

FamiliarWitch

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 177 posts

Posted 02 June 2008 - 11:26 AM

thanks for the link! i saw some stuff on there that i want :)
:puppykiss:

#3 Varillon

Varillon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 434 posts

Posted 02 June 2008 - 06:05 PM

lol yeah, I could spend a fortune there. Oaks and Elms are always wonderful to see, but some of the less common, dare I say, more exotic really give examples of nature's beauty.

#4 Grymdycche

Grymdycche

Thaumaturge Medicocre

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,480 posts

Posted 03 June 2008 - 01:07 AM

Kewl, thanks V, duly bookmarked for future reference.

BTW, can I call you "V" ? ;) I'm sorta a lazy typer.

http://runeforum.phrets.com
9 out of 10 string theory physicists agree: 'Nothing Rests; Everything Moves; Everything Vibrates'' -the Kybalion.

#5 Varillon

Varillon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 434 posts

Posted 03 June 2008 - 03:07 AM

Kewl, thanks V, duly bookmarked for future reference.

BTW, can I call you "V" ? ;) I'm sorta a lazy typer.

Sure. I usually sign posts with V.

#6 Greenfeet

Greenfeet

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 279 posts

Posted 03 June 2008 - 04:19 PM

I have ordered from ForestFarm for my last job. They have a nice selection and the plants arrived in good shape, they really packed them well that were delivered.

I have also been to ForestFarm to pick up orders, they are nice folks.

#7 Varillon

Varillon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 434 posts

Posted 10 June 2008 - 09:21 PM

As promised, here is my baby tree. I elected to keep it in a pot for now because the instructions recommended letting it get acclimated to the area. It's of the yellow needle variety.

http://s131.photobuc...080610_0026.jpg

http://s131.photobuc...080610_0027.jpg

Lemme know if links are a problem. Photobucket can be a pain sometimes.

Almost forgot, packaging was great. It took some work to get the tree out of the box.

Edited by Varillon, 10 June 2008 - 09:23 PM.

#8 FamiliarWitch

FamiliarWitch

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 177 posts

Posted 13 June 2008 - 02:52 AM

what a cute little baby tree! :loving: (yes i get mushy over little plants).
that is much bigger that i was expecting.

:puppykiss:

#9 Varillon

Varillon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 434 posts

Posted 13 June 2008 - 08:07 AM

It ended up being over a foot tall. No complaints here. I looked it up on some other sites. It is supposed to reach up to 70 feet tall and 30 feet wide. Semi-dwarf my ass lol

Of course it will take 2000 years to reach that size.

#10 Guest_Tiger Lady_*

Guest_Tiger Lady_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 June 2008 - 02:53 AM

lol yeah, I could spend a fortune there. Oaks and Elms are always wonderful to see, but some of the less common, dare I say, more exotic really give examples of nature's beauty.

I agree. my new tree is an American Chestnut sapling. you don't find those everyday.

#11 RavenFlyer

RavenFlyer

Backwoods Witch

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,545 posts

Posted 07 July 2008 - 01:50 PM

really american chestnut? I thought those were extinct thanks to the disease that attacked them when the Japenese (i think.) Chestnut was introduced into America.

my mistake it wasn't the introductino of another tree, just a root diease. here is a link that explains it.

http://www.srs.fs.us...hlarbaum002.htm

Edited by RavenFlyer, 07 July 2008 - 01:52 PM.

#12 Guest_Tiger Lady_*

Guest_Tiger Lady_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 July 2008 - 02:09 PM

Not all American Chestnuts are gone. I have a book called 1000 Questions Answered about Trees that talks about the American Chestnut. The popular belief is that the remaining American Chestnuts are resistant to disease. As the blight killed the trees and the trees disappeared the blight left areas as well. My American Chestnut came from a lone tree in an area where most American Chestnuts are gone. My husbands family's farm is not far from where the mother tree of my 3 American Chestnuts came from. He had 2 on his farm until recently. Trees have a lifespan and they both have reached theres. Which is sad. We were hoping it was still propagating and that we could get saplings from it. But this other tree is still propagating - which is unusual. I have brought the 3 - 3 hours north. They may not survive. What I have to make sure of is that as they grow - branches are not aloud to rub and create damaged areas on the trees that allow blights in. I also somehow have to keep the Japanese beetle damage down because that will allow in blights as well.

I have one in a pot still and I will probably take it to WVU. I'm sure they will be much more successful in propagation and keeping blights away. I know that they ask that they be part of any propagating American Chestnuts.

#13 Ethira

Ethira

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 176 posts

Posted 26 July 2008 - 03:43 PM

Thank you so much for this link I've already ordered a catalog from them. Hopefully it'll show me which plants are heat tolerant. I need something that can survive the desert.

#14 wolfjan1

wolfjan1

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,838 posts

Posted 26 July 2008 - 05:19 PM

It ended up being over a foot tall. No complaints here. I looked it up on some other sites. It is supposed to reach up to 70 feet tall and 30 feet wide. Semi-dwarf my ass lol

Of course it will take 2000 years to reach that size.

It's a good legacy to leave. You done good! give it a tiny bit of iron and nitrogen.

It takes true arrogance to try and force ones' religion on another.

#15 Varillon

Varillon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 434 posts

Posted 26 July 2008 - 05:30 PM

It's a good legacy to leave. You done good! give it a tiny bit of iron and nitrogen.

Will do. If we ever find some land and sell this place, I am going to have a special place for this little jewel.