Crystal Skulls

Dark Phoenix

Hey all,

Its been a while since I posted but here I am. Anyway, last night I went to see the fourth movie installment of the Indiana Jones franchise called, "Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull". Before I saw this picture, I saw a program on the SciFi channel about these magnificent creations. They are said to have strange power and nobody knows how or who made them. Even with todays technology it is said that its impossible to recreate such skulls. Here is a website with more information on these incredible odities:

http://www.archaeology.org/0805/etc/indy.html

Guest Domina

Fake or no, that Mitchell-Hedges skull is really cool looking. Somebody sure went to a lot of trouble in making it. Love to have it sitting in my glass-fronted cabinet!

I have to say, it really seems to me that they are trying to proove all the crystal skulls said to be in existance are fake. The truth is though they only tested maybe two or three and tried to put a name to the person who was "selling" these pieces to musuems. Now yes, perhaps those are all fakes, but what of the others. How can you say based on only three tests that a dozen other cases are definitavely going to be the same. We can't rule out the possibility that some are fake or that some are real, but we must never forget that there are people out there that will go to the ends of the earth to debunk something that they know little about or don't want to believe. People who want everyone to think "logically" and just like them. Not everything on this earth can be explained with a logical or rationalized answer, as I'm sure most of us would be able to relate to.

I see your point and yes some things cannot be explained. I am not sure how you know that only 3 have been tested though? Surely it is an ongoing scientific study?

One thing we do know is that it was not created by some freak of nature, they are all man made at some point in time. The issue is that the ones tested so far were made with tools and instruments from the last century.

What I didn't want to create on here was everyone thinking that these skulls are authentic when they are probably not. Thats all.

The one scull that is well documented is the Mitchell-Hedges one found in 1924. When they (father and daughter) returned to England in 1951 the scull was investigated by many different bodies and seen and handled by many including our own royal family.

I can see no reason why it wouldn't be authentic, many reputable scientists over the decades agreed that it was, they can't all have been wrong.

The others I know little about. The legend states that there are 13 and when they speak to one another some catastrophic event will wipe out half of life on earth.

Logically I can see that....could be a massive erruption, like the one going on under yellowstone or something similar. On that scale then the sculls, if they exist, would indeed resonate and 'speak'

I see your point and yes some things cannot be explained. I am not sure how you know that only 3 have been tested though? Surely it is an ongoing scientific study?

One thing we do know is that it was not created by some freak of nature, they are all man made at some point in time. The issue is that the ones tested so far were made with tools and instruments from the last century.

What I didn't want to create on here was everyone thinking that these skulls are authentic when they are probably not. Thats all.

I agree, the ones they tested probably aren't authentic. I'm simply playing the role of devil's advocate here. They don't have proof that the other skulls known to exist are fakes, so until they come forth with some evidence one way or the other I have to consider all possibilities.

As for knowing that only three skulls were tested, I don't. I was simply going by the link to the news article that you provided. They said they tested the skull in the British Musuem and linked it to Eugene Boban, who was thought to have also been linked to the skulls in the Smithsonian Institution and the Musee de l'Homme. As I said the skull in the British Musuem has been tested and marked as fraud, but the other two are more of speculation. They are using this as evidence of fraud in the other two skulls though.

I can't say for sure what is right or wrong I can only go by the information that is given to me.

Edited by Anthony
to correct typo

Guest Bean Sprite

They are really cool though.

I can definately appreciate the craftsmanship on that big old crystal.

On a similar note, there was something similar on TV last night about several supposedly authentic Jewish sacred artifacts from the Temple of Solomon, but closer examination revealed them to be fraudulent too, or at least, partly.

Sometimes the piece itself was genuine, but the carvings on it were modern, made in an attempt to bolster the monetary value and perceived sanctity of the piece.

In any case, when in doubt, follow the money - who stands to benefit? If the piece is proclaimed genuine, then those who own or display it may stand to benefit greatly. When scientists proclaim something phony however, there's really no money in that for them, and I think they're disappointed too, actually. Everyone loves a mystery, and the romantic in all of us would love to believe all the old mythos. We're just going to have to deal with the reality that sometimes a myth is just a myth. Either way, the important thing is to know and accept truth independently of what we want it to be.