Sign in to follow this  
Startella

Traditional Craft by Startella

I agree with Wexler, magick can be mischievous and fun. One of the ways I entertain myself in a boring meeting is to magically give the most boring bloke a stiffy. 

That soon shuts them up, and it is hilarious to see them shuffling files onto their laps.

Sometimes we just have to do things for the joy of it!

Doesn't mean I take my path any less seriously.

Oh my fucking god this is great! Hilarious but brilliant!!   :roflhard:  :roflhard: 

• Like 1

I really like what you wrote here because it sums me up and how I view my path even though I didn't know it was called Traditional Witchcraft. Of course, there are some differences, but that happens when you are on your own personal journey.

I thought it interesting that you mentioned the elements in relation to Wicca. I see the elements as another form of energy that can aid in workings and something that hedge witches used in the bosco to aid/protect the witch and the ritual. Am I misunderstanding the usefulness of the elements? They are part of the bigger picture, the universe, in all creatures, etc... or am I wrong? Perhaps I should study more up on Wicca, but organised religions leave a bad taste in my mouth.

What a perfect summation of Trad Craft! I could never have put it so well myself, I'm glad to see it all laid out so skilfully!

This thread really got to me, in a good way, and helped me to realize that this place is really where i belong. It's full of wonderful information and things that really click in my head and heart.

We generally do not worship any entities, but we recognize the existence of them, commonly referred to as spirits. We believe in the equality of all beings in the Universe, seeing them all as different and separate but still equal. We revere and respect Nature, however we do not worship it or its representatives.

This is literally how I have described myself for the last three years. Almost word for word. Reverence, not worship. I know seeking validation can be dangerous, but I am glad that those who have trodden the path before me share my approach. I gives me some confidence that I am heading in the right direction, and that this is right for me. I may not have been born destined for the craft, but I do feel I may have a chance at creating something fruitful.

This is amazing. I'm so glad this is the first actual article I read here. It really affirms the choice I made to join this forum. It spoke to me on so many levels, especially as someone who felt lost in the sense of this practice as a religion or as what I've always called the "fluffy bunny" syndrome. It's something very deep within ourselves that pulls at specific places in our heart. I had lost that feeling when I began delving into the world of Wicca, and am so happy that the knowledge that there is something else, something more wild and deep down can be found and is once again pulling at my heart strings. 

Thank you so much for this!

"Don't be Delicate, Be Vast and Brilliant!"

That was so beautiful. I'd like a copy of this to make a poster and hang in my altar room if you don't mind? Something I can read when times are hard. Simply beautiful words that ( call me sentimental) actually brought tears to my eyes.

That was so beautiful. I'd like a copy of this to make a poster and hang in my altar room if you don't mind? Something I can read when times are hard. Simply beautiful words that ( call me sentimental) actually brought tears to my eyes.

Startella has not been around for quite some time, but I don't think she would mind you putting a poster in your private space. Just don't replicate it online. She does write beautifully... much food for thought.

After reading this, wow... this makes so much sense and more in tune to what I feel I should have been doing all along.

The other fluffiness and all that junk that permeates the book stores and internet, and here I find a true gem.

It's just a reaffirmation for me that this is where I have to be.

Lovely post. by the way.

• Like 1

Hi. As a curious newbie I found this ancient post very interesting.

I appreciate that startella is not on the forum any more but I have a few questions/points from the post that stood out for me that I hope someone can address?

So:
'Our craft is what we do every minute of our waking moments, and some of our not so waking ones too. Which includes trances, deep meditations, astral travel, lucid dreaming'
I have seen several posts on here saying that traditional magic cannot be learned from books. If it includes techniques like trances and astral travel, how do you guys learn that sort of thing? I think I am a book learner... If I'm interested in a subject I crave books on it. So the idea of learning something without books on it is confusing me!

Next, a couple of quotes about how you feel you are born into this, innately witches:
'We are drawn to it because it was born in us, some and most can find signs when we were children'
&
'For most of us things kinda flow being a witch and our craft is just who we are, and we can't imagine not being'

If I do not or have not had that feeling through my life so far (I am 37), does that mean traditional witchcraft is not for me? Like if it was for me I would've known about it already?

Next, this point confused me:
'We believe in the equality of all beings in the Universe, seeing them all as different and separate but still equal.'
Depending on how 'beings' is defined, to me this belief, if followed sincerely, would mean you would have to eschew washing your hands or cleaning kitchen surfaces as the bacteria killed in eithe action must number in the millions. Am I misinterpreting the term 'beings' in use here?

And lastly:
'most do not have the same belief of the 4 elements, that is taught in Wicca'
I was pleased to read this. The one book I do have (and am reading) on witchcraft mentions this 4 elements business and different 'flavours' essentially for each of the 4 compass points and I just found it ... A bit jarring. Like, I don't see how that can be the case, what that means, how it came to be, it just seems like something someone made up that could not (to me anyway) seem to be true.

Anyway, I hope any other visitors to this thread can answer my questions. I hope they have been respectful, honestly I am intrigued about this traditional witchcraft and mean no disrespect. I just have questions bursting out of my head!
Thank you

On 5/6/2020 at 5:46 AM, Gadalau said:

So:

'Our craft is what we do every minute of our waking moments, and some of our not so waking ones too. Which includes trances, deep meditations, astral travel, lucid dreaming'
I have seen several posts on here saying that traditional magic cannot be learned from books. If it includes techniques like trances and astral travel, how do you guys learn that sort of thing? I think I am a book learner... If I'm interested in a subject I crave books on it. So the idea of learning something without books on it is confusing me!

I would respectfully disagree here. 

Magic can't be EXPERIENCED by reading books would be a more nuanced view.

A decent analogy might be food; A cook book can show you how to make a dish, but you can't truely smell, taste, feel, and ultimately understand and inovate on that dish until you make it. Most of the time you need to make any dish several times to get it right, and eventually you can make it without the guide in the book.

Some dishes allow for innovation by the chef, others will simply (or disasterously) fail if they aren't followed precisely. 

I am a bibliophile, and can relate to the book learning desire. Start with 3-4 good introductory books and see where this is overlap/what rings true to you, then pick something simple and DO it. Ideally pick something that you can do repeatedly for a solid period of time to make it a habit. 

I would argue you would learn more from 2 weeks of 20 minutes of meditation every day, or a banishing ritual done daily, than you would from that time spent reading more books.
Books might be a map to show you a path, but you have to walk it to walk it.

• Like 2

Thanks, that all makes good sense.  I think I have just been a bit confused by how open it all seems. Maybe I'm too logical but I feel like there must be some rules, some do's and don'ts - this sort of thing is very new to me and I guess I just don't trust my intuition or instincts in this area - or more than that I don't even know if I have any.

Gadalau,

Regarding your question of us/you being born into it, yes many of us were drawn to the craft even as children and have been having spiritual experiences throughout our lives. However, there are exceptions to every rule, you were brought here and so in order for you to know if this is for you, a sincere effort must be made on your part to explore what this path has to offer. Whether or not you were born into this is not for anyone else to decide. And try not to let self doubt limit you, it’s a very disarming thing to wrestle with in this craft.

to address your question of hand washing and all beings being equal, equality doesn’t mean you can’t kill stuff- simply put. We kill bacteria and bugs but it’s not because we think we’re more important or sacred than them, it’s sinply because in life we make choices to preserve ourselves and our livelihood. That statement was more so about how we all play our role in this world and are intrinsically no more valuable than anything else (if you ask me).

Also, In trad craft we don’t operate under the notion that the universe hands out punishments for “bad people” who do “bad things”. So we take morals and ethics of what we craft into our own hands. If we deem a hexing beneficial for us and appropriate for the situation, then we proceed with the hexing. It’s as simple as that. Hope this clarifies things.

• Like 2

Thank you for taking the time to explain. I found it very insightful.

Sign in to follow this