83 replies to this topic

#41 Scarlet

Scarlet

Advanced Member

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 23 August 2011 - 11:34 PM

When I was deciding whether or not to join this forum I read through this post and it made all the difference. Thank you. For me it really is just something within me that i've felt all along. I am now on the path to developing my path.

Scarlet

Scarlet

#42 Jevne

Jevne

Former Member

• Former Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,441 posts

Posted 24 November 2011 - 04:41 AM

I thought it was about time to bump this pinned thread. No matter the specific Path of the Witch, everyone seems to be able to find something that touches them or sparks other conversation.

J

#43 Heks

Heks

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 542 posts

Posted 24 November 2011 - 08:53 PM

Dear all,
This post is wonderful, Startella, and it encompasses everything I feel at the moment, everything I believe in and don't believe in! As I cut ties with my past, which was imprisoned in religion, and also cut ties with anything lingering from religion, I am so happy to be able to read such a good description of what I feel is right. Traditional Witchcraft is empowering, liberating and is all one ever needs. I discovered that what I have been doing since a young age is called "astral projection" and even this is mentioned here in this post!
Well done, Jevne, for bumping this post!
Kind regards,
Heks Posted Image

"One's own house, though small, is better,
For there thou art the master.
It makes a man's heart bleed to ask
for a midday meal at the house of another."

(35 Havamal, Edda)

#44 Ayrmids_Runes

Ayrmids_Runes

Advanced Member

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 14 January 2012 - 03:39 AM

Thank You. Reading this just confirmed that I have found what I am looking for.

#45 westofthemoon

westofthemoon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 661 posts

Posted 18 January 2012 - 07:55 PM

We are drawn to it because it was born in us,

This resonates pretty deeply with me. I'm glad I'm not the only one. :)

When performing magic we will concentrate on our own power, or and we may call on assistance from a spirit in the spirit world or and ancestors.

It's good to know that I haven't been doing it "wrong" all these years, just that I was doing it a different way--a more "intuitive" way!

Wow, I'd quote this whole post if I could. Great article, I've read it several times over the past few days. I'm glad it got bumped up.

Edited by Kupala, 18 January 2012 - 08:00 PM.

Wouldst thou like to Live Deliciously? ~ "The VVitch"

Say what you know, do what you must, come what may.

#46 Lynn

Lynn

I've been InBetween

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 858 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 02:33 PM

Nicely written. :)

I share some of your thoughts, and others I don't--but most of them I do! Yeah, born that way, no freakin doubt!

'When in danger, when in doubt, Run in circles, scream and shout" Robert Heinlein.
"Women and cats will do as they please, men and dogs need to relax and get used to the idea." Robert Heinlein

"In Wildness is the preservation of the World." Henry David Thoreau

#47 Guest_Gregori_*

Guest_Gregori_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 April 2012 - 01:26 AM

nicely phrased. i agree.

#48 Aurelia

Aurelia

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 487 posts

Posted 26 June 2012 - 10:13 PM

I know this is an older post but I wanted to say thank you so much for writing it, Startella. It sums everything up so well and really clearly. Really great post :)

#49 Imya

Imya

Advanced Member

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 41 posts

Posted 20 July 2012 - 09:52 PM

I couldn't agree with you more. I could relate to this so much. Thank you!

#50 StarryAmethyst

StarryAmethyst

• Seekers
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 07:37 PM

It is awesome to see when someone understands and does not believe hexing wards or curses is evil.
Everything you said was spot on dear.

Posted Image

“Just because I'm on a different path doesn't mean I'm lost.”
― ~unknown~

#51 Alienor Bel

Alienor Bel

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 73 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 03:25 PM

Every time someone else responds to this thread, I end up reading it again...and again.. and again. And every time something new resonates with me. Thank you, Startella for such an encompassing piece of writing that is so helpful to so many people. I'm so glad that this thread is pinned making it easily accessible.
"The apple cannot be stuck back on the Tree of Knowledge; once we begin to see, we are doomed and challenged to seek the strength to see more, not less." - Arthur Miller

#52 Athena

Athena

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 588 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 05:49 PM

What a great post and so well written.

#53 Sym

Sym

• Seekers
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 18 May 2013 - 07:54 PM

Great post! Sums it up nicely!

#54 Michele

Michele

The Exiled Goddess

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7,033 posts

Posted 21 May 2013 - 12:31 AM

Edited by Michele, 21 May 2013 - 12:36 AM.

#55 Kalderasha

Kalderasha

• Seekers
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 06 July 2013 - 07:25 PM

Wow, I really am not alone!! Thanks for sharing that, it put in words a lot of my feelings about my path.

#56 kaenoir

kaenoir

Advanced Member

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 66 posts

Posted 06 July 2013 - 07:41 PM

Having read this over and over again (while lerking) I absolutely love it. So well written and to the point. I would love to have it in my notebook

#57 Michael

Michael

• Seekers
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 06 February 2014 - 01:12 AM

Wow! This was absolutely amazing! Thank you for sharing this.

- Michael

#58 foxman

foxman

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 129 posts

Posted 06 February 2014 - 09:09 PM

Startella, could i possibly use it as an article in a future issue of our web magazine, please? I will of course credit you with the article.

#59 Mountain Witch

Mountain Witch

Practical b/witch

• Moderators
  • 3,826 posts

Posted 06 February 2014 - 09:26 PM

Startella, could i possibly use it as an article in a future issue of our web magazine, please? I will of course credit you with the article.

Star hasn't been around for awhile so I would venture to say 'no' to using it outside this site.

For purposes of action nothing is more useful than narrowness of thought combined with energy of will.
~ Henri Frederic Amiel

You can access my blog and get autographed copies of my books through my website

#60 SammCrow

SammCrow

• Seekers
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 06 April 2014 - 10:49 PM

Since the article was written several years back and much water has passed under this bridge, it would be interesting to see the article re-written from a more current perspective, but building on the initial effort of Startella which seems generally to be much admired.  If this article had been one of mine, I know I would have modified it here or there a hundred times by now.  It's just how I work; can't leave well enough alone sometimes, and always say "Oh, you know I could have said that better," or "Goodness, I forgot to mention this," or "You really need to change that; you know better now!"  I bet Startella would like another go at it too if she were still here.  This is not a criticism of this excellent article.  I'm just talking about how writers tend to feel about their work.

If you are new to the craft, please do not confuse traditional or even eclectic witchcraft with shoddy craft.  We all go through learning periods when we wish we knew more than we actually know, and our practices and skills will be weak and maybe even silly in some ways.  Don't be ashamed by your early efforts.  Its part of learning and getting better.  But even once you get comfortable with your skills, do not settle for comfortable.  Do not be content with mediocrity.  Any good witch will always assure you that there is never an end to learning and growing better.  It is a lifelong pursuit.  In Wicca, there were many who tried to shortcut their access to third degree, and if their mentors were lax they only ended up as third degree idiots who didn't know anything they really needed to know.  You cannot shortcut learning.  It takes time and patience and sincere dedication to the wisdom of your tradition.  Finally, once you reach the top and are admired by so many for your deep knowledge and skills, well...don't buy that shit for one minute.  Let others think as they will, and be kind to them, but know in your own heart of hearts that much has been lost over ages of terror and oppression.  The secret wisdom of the ages is still secret to all of us, and just because you may know a lot more than most, it doesn't mean that you know all you need to know.  Those at the top are the ones most responsible for "stretching the envelope" and adding to our knowledge, recovering the lost secrets, and improving on what others before you have already tried to improve.  What I'm saying to us all is that ignorance is our common lot, but so is curiosity and the thirst for wisdom, so with dedication and perseverance we can and should continue studying and learning and practising and growing in our craft from the day we start on our path to the day we croak (ribbit!).

Traditional witchcraft is not always without rules, but its less structured (my opinion) than wicca, less dogmatic.  But you must not confuse this more intuitive shamanic approach with a make-it-up-as-you-go carelessness.  Every act of magick must be wilful and deliberate, and if you become blase' in your studies and practice, you will at best become incompetent and at worst become dangerous to your own good health.  Magick is unforgiving of stupidity.  You can make mistakes as you learn.  We all make mistakes as we learn, and later.  But if mistakes and carelessness are your natural predilection, I recommend you find another life interest and follow this one as an observer.  There is so much to learn here, and it truly is fun to learn, but you can't learn just for fun.  It's not a game, it's a craft.  Wood-carving is also a craft.  The blade is unforgiving if you are careless, and so is magick.

Samm

Prayer SevenNow in union with the Sun, your face O Moon is dark, a mask of shadows hidden in a sea of light, until the Sun, like some lover consumed by passion's flame, withdraws his light from the faltering day and drowns himself, in sacrificial zeal, as deep within your darkness as ever flame may steal.  And you, O Moon, by yielding freely to his might, have gained his freely-given throne, the Regal Queen of Night in your Diadem of Gold, to rule the sky alone.  It is only envy of such love that leads all men to lust.  Ave, Luna!  - 09 March 2001, by Bran th' Blessed (Samm Crow)