Photo
- - - - -

Getting started with Pendulums

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
52 replies to this topic

#41 Aloe

Aloe

ridge running Ozark banshee..

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,420 posts

Posted 13 January 2011 - 05:43 PM

How interesting. I've always heard of pendulums, but never was interested enough to look into them and see what they are. Decided to read this thread, and realized I've been using one since I was a child! Oddly, my christian family uses them all the time. They consider them a "folk remedy" to get "answers you need", not witchcraft. LOL :rolleyes_witch: Mine is a cut crystal prism that my Grandma bought for me when I was about 6, I've always had it since then and used it this way.
"The people who live in the Ozark country of Missouri and Arkansas were, until very recently, the most deliberately unprogressive people in the United States. Descended from pioneers who came West from the Southern Appalachians at the beginning of the nineteenth century, they made little contact with the outer world for more than a hundred years. They seem like foreigners to the average urban American, but nearly all of them come of British stock, and many families have lived in America since colonial days. Their material heirlooms are few, but like all isolated illiterates they have clung to the old songs and obsolete sayings and outworn customs of their ancestors." Ozark Magic and Folklore

#42 Phoenix

Phoenix

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 326 posts

Posted 13 January 2011 - 08:18 PM

I bought a bloodstone pendulum last month. I have been trying to use it at least every other day to get used to it. Sometimes it moves in circles, sometimes back and forth or side to side. Sometimes it doesn't move at all. One night my lady friend, her daughter and I took three pennies and placed them under napkins on the table. There were six napkins. We took turns trying to find the pennies under the napkins using our own pendulums. We each had 50% success rate with the pendulums accuracy. I'm going to work on using it for a while to see how well I can get it to work for me, especially conerning questions I don't know the answers to.

Attached Files

#43 Marion

Marion

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 513 posts

Posted 13 January 2011 - 11:32 PM

Re: the influencing o the pendulum,....

While I agree with Michele on the answers already being within you for all types of divination Ive tried so far, I tend to minimize "hand shake" influence on pendulums by bracing my right elbow and hand (if possible) on something solid, like a book shelf. It makes it easier for me to get a clear distinction in responses. I have a silver one, a clear quartz one (which positively jangled about when I first picked it up) but I'm eyeing up a brass one now, which I'll probably get. I'm a hopeless addict for picking up knick-knacks :)

"Bart, the ability to add two-digit numbers does not make you a witch" ~ Lisa Simpson

Always up to witchery ~ Marion

#44 PaganMama

PaganMama

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 127 posts

Posted 22 February 2011 - 09:34 PM

I use my pendulum a lot, I charge it every once in awhile, and when it doesn't seem to want to work for me, I just put it down til later. sometimes helps, works for me.
I talk to my pendulum as if it were a person, ask it questions pertaining to it, It is weird, but for me, it seems to help the overall 'mood' so to speak. gives me a feel for how it will respond to me and my questions, if im distracted, it goes nut or stops. I then will put it away until Im more focused on what im wanting to ask.

****I'm Selfish,Impatient,and a little insecure.I make mistakes.
I am out of control & hard to handle,at times.
But,if you can't handle me at my worst...
then you sure as hell don't deserve me at my best!♥****

#45 CelticGypsy

CelticGypsy

Crazy NastyAss Honey Badger

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,105 posts

Posted 23 February 2011 - 12:24 AM

I went to our local gemologist on a different matter maybe a month or so ago? I was impressed with his knowledge of stones and theories and lore. In his shop, I purchased an Ammolite stone, had him carve it into the shape of a pendulum, much like Phoenix's. It turned out very nice, and I'm pleased. I cleansed it, then charged it. I'm waiting to use it, and learn from this lovely gift of stone.

Regards,
Gypsy

" The last thing you wanted a Witch to do is get bored and start making her own amusements, because Witches sometimes have erratically famous ideas about what was amusing "

Terry Pratchett Legends 1 

#46 Absinthe

Absinthe

Inquisitor's Bane

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 427 posts

Posted 25 February 2011 - 02:44 AM

I bought a bloodstone pendulum last month. I have been trying to use it at least every other day to get used to it. Sometimes it moves in circles, sometimes back and forth or side to side. Sometimes it doesn't move at all. One night my lady friend, her daughter and I took three pennies and placed them under napkins on the table. There were six napkins. We took turns trying to find the pennies under the napkins using our own pendulums. We each had 50% success rate with the pendulums accuracy. I'm going to work on using it for a while to see how well I can get it to work for me, especially conerning questions I don't know the answers to.

Phoenix,I've had a lovely day. I really admired your pendulum. I took my two granddaughters for a beach day out, and we found some magical hagstones. I finally worked out how to post pictures. Then when we took the girls home, my daughter had bought me a lovely rose quartz pendulum a lot like yours on a silver chain. It was very lively for the first few minutes but seems to have gone dormant now - perhaps because I'm so tired after a busy day. I'll try to post photos of it tomorrow when I'm more awake.

Nosce te ipsum, et sapere aude

#47 Aloe

Aloe

ridge running Ozark banshee..

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,420 posts

Posted 25 February 2011 - 02:47 AM

Phoenix,I've had a lovely day. I really admired your pendulum. I took my two granddaughters for a beach day out, and we found some magical hagstones. I finally worked out how to post pictures. Then when we took the girls home, my daughter had bought me a lovely rose quartz pendulum a lot like yours on a silver chain. It was very lively for the first few minutes but seems to have gone dormant now - perhaps because I'm so tired after a busy day. I'll try to post photos of it tomorrow when I'm more awake.

That does sound like a wonderful day - I'm anxious to see your pendulum. :)

"The people who live in the Ozark country of Missouri and Arkansas were, until very recently, the most deliberately unprogressive people in the United States. Descended from pioneers who came West from the Southern Appalachians at the beginning of the nineteenth century, they made little contact with the outer world for more than a hundred years. They seem like foreigners to the average urban American, but nearly all of them come of British stock, and many families have lived in America since colonial days. Their material heirlooms are few, but like all isolated illiterates they have clung to the old songs and obsolete sayings and outworn customs of their ancestors." Ozark Magic and Folklore

#48 Phoenix

Phoenix

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 326 posts

Posted 25 February 2011 - 03:02 AM

That does sound like a wonderful day - I'm anxious to see your pendulum. :)

absinthe, I am glad you had such a lovely day. I have had some issues with my pendulum as well. It isn't being so responsive lately. It isn't easy to concentrate lately and I am assuming that is the reason. Can't wait to see your pictures.

#49 Abydos

Abydos

Advanced Member

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted 07 April 2011 - 02:04 PM

Good day, all.

Pendulums are near to my heart - I have been using them for a long time and really enjoy and feel a connection to them. I have a small collection to accommodate for different situations, or just to reflect how I am feeling that particular day.

Like some of you I too discovered that my desire for a particular answer would 'color' my responses. If what I am asking is something I feel very strongly about or is an emotionally-charged query I tend to close my eyes while asking the question; it seems like being unable to actually see the pendulum makes it less likely I will adversely affect my answers unknowingly. I'll open my eyes when I feel the distinct movement and read the answer then.

As far as their use and contruction, I'll use anything in a pinch - I'm not picky. Sure, I have my favorites and will probably always collect them because I find them aesthetically beautiful as well as useful, but I'll use a rock on the end of a string if I need an answer *now*.

Concerning their care and feeding - after an initial cleansing I'll spend a little time with each new pendulum when I first obtain it, keeping it close to me for several days, periodically taking it out and getting a 'feel' for it until we have a connection.

Regarding using a favorite necklace as a pendulum - absolutely. In a pinch I'll pull off my pentacle from its place around my neck and use it. They're just tools - whatever works. :witchbroom:

In fact, I think I might have just realized what my signature line should be, as it is a creedo I live by: "If it's stupid, but it works, it's not stupid." Posted Image

Kind regards,

Kurt

"Your personal lack of understanding of a concept in no way invalidates its legitimacy."

#50 Figment

Figment

Advanced Member

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 46 posts

Posted 08 April 2011 - 06:25 PM

I use my pendulum a lot, I charge it every once in awhile, and when it doesn't seem to want to work for me, I just put it down til later. sometimes helps, works for me.
I talk to my pendulum as if it were a person, ask it questions pertaining to it, It is weird, but for me, it seems to help the overall 'mood' so to speak. gives me a feel for how it will respond to me and my questions, if im distracted, it goes nut or stops. I then will put it away until Im more focused on what im wanting to ask.

This is similar to what I do as well.

Before I started using my pendulums I kept it in my pocket and under my pillow for about a month. It is a good way to connect your energies with that of the pendulum you are using. I also ask the pendulum, "What is yes?" and wait for an answer. Then I do the same for "no", before I ask any other questions. It helps you connect for the reading and hopefully you can get less confussing answers. I also can use the pendulum if I'm not focused, it just sways this way and that and is pretty much pointless for me to continue untill I get my thoughts together.

#51 Solice

Solice

• Seekers
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 07 June 2011 - 02:36 PM

I have a few pendulums with different crystals. Each has its own movement but its fairly generic. Some I have made myself from crystals I have found, others are bought and one is simply an amethyst pendant that I have worn as a necklace for many years. I believe that you "feel" which is right for you when you see it. Intuition is key. I use my intuition to select which of my pendulums I will use. I think the skill with pendulum use lies within formulating your questions. Clear, concise, well formed questions, a suitable environment (the kids arent running around you),sitting comfortably, and being comfortable actually "asking" questions. I know many people who have attempted using a pendulum but have felt so uncomfortable actually asking questions that they have reverted to other forms of divination. To them and anyone else, Id say perservere a while. If you still dont feel comfortable - fair enough but by all means, give it a fair chance. Personally I really enjoy pendulum work. My sister has recently begun pendulum work as have a couple of very close friends., Each of them use different pendulums ie: tigers eye, rose quartz necklace, opal and each have their own way of working with them. Its very much a subjective practise and one that develops with the user. Try different materials, crystals, woods, metals. Try different ways of asking questions or combining divination methods ie: pendulum and card. As you can probably recognise from this post, I have a distinct enthusiasm for this method of divination, I hope that those reading this will also find an enthusiasm for it and for those who dont, I wish you much success with whichever method you do connect with.

#52 8people

8people

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 440 posts

Posted 07 June 2011 - 06:14 PM

I'm planning on getting pendulums attuned to certain spirits, such as the three deities I work with and one for piercing the veil. If I work with more spirits in the future I might end up buying more.

Problem I have finding ones that appeal to me are the 'chunky' factor. I prefer slenderer points, longer and thinner crystals (not the rods though) and the cut pendulums always seem to be very thick and pyramidy. I managed to have a go with a couple the other day with mixed results (Then again the shopkeeper had to bring them outside for me to use as there was a bloody great step into her shop. Sad times :()

#53 Blue Spider

Blue Spider

• Seekers
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 30 June 2011 - 12:53 AM

One of my favorite methods for answers to particular questions and they don't have to be strictly yes / no. So many of you have shared wonderful information that there is little to add but my personal thoughts on the types (since this was the original question - albeit answered now).

I have found that various crystal (6 sided) feel comfortable to me and they are flat out beautiful. I like a bit a weight. I have used metal (they are great conductors of energy - especially copper). I tend to stay away from wood as I just don't "feel" them as much.

Of course anything can be used. My first one (ages ago) was needle and thread - this was before I really knew about "pendulumism". If it feels right, it is right.

I agree that they do get tired and at times I'll need to cleanse and charge them again.

I do use them for finding items. I personally carry it with me around the house so it can literally point to the direction of my missing item. Very reliable source for this.

Also strongly agree that your thoughts can "color" the reading so it is best to really ask for the best / true answer and be open to what the answer may be and accept what it is. It's so easy to keep asking the question, or wording it differently, or using a different pendulum to get the answer we want as well.

What's really fun, is once you've really become in tune with them, to go into a spiritual store where they have them hanging and stand by them and make them start swinging without touching them. Freaks people out!